My Covid 19 Experience in BCS.

24,536 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by P.U.T.U
P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ragoo said:

But I can go to any dumb clinic with a nurse practitioner and get a ZPak script for a sinus infection. But if I think I have covid, nope, red tape.

Cool
Yup, I got my yearly sinus infection and they tested me for the flu and it turns out I had type A. Walked in and out within 30 minutes with antibiotics and Tamiflu. They said if I had traveled or knew anyone who had it they would have turned me away
Player To Be Named Later
AG
"Tough ****, good luck" seems to be the accepted response to this, unless you are hypoxic. Then you're pretty well past the point of a lot of the current possible treatments helping. At least that's what it looks like is going on.

So really, just seems like, "well, hope you don't get to the point you need the hospital"
KidDoc
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

"Tough ****, good luck" seems to be the accepted response to this, unless you are hypoxic. Then you're pretty well past the point of a lot of the current possible treatments helping. At least that's what it looks like is going on.

So really, just seems like, "well, hope you don't get to the point you need the hospital"
Sadly this is a very accurate assessment at this time. Test for flu or strep if indicated. If high risk or severe then they qualify for testing. Otherwise assume you have COVID and treat symptoms and self isolate.

It is frustrating and if you compare USA data with the early and aggressive testing and quarantine in South Korea and Germany it is criminal how far behind we are on testing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ragoo
AG
KidDoc said:

Sadly this is a very accurate assessment at this time. Test for flu or strep if indicated. If high risk or severe then they qualify for testing. Otherwise assume you have COVID and treat symptoms and self isolate.

It is frustrating and if you compare USA data with the early and aggressive testing and quarantine in South Korea and Germany it is criminal how far behind we are on testing.
do we have a national shortage of prescription medication?

I don't mind the attitude of isolate and treat symptoms, but allow me the opportunity to get access to the drugs that will help my body fight better and quicker.

At this point we pretty well know a treatment program that has the most success.
KidDoc
AG
Ragoo said:

KidDoc said:

do we have a national shortage of prescription medication?

I don't mind the attitude of isolate and treat symptoms, but allow me the opportunity to get access to the drugs that will help my body fight better and quicker.

At this point we pretty well know a treatment program that has the most success.
Yes they are restricting HCQ to confirmed cases in Texas from what I have read. I haven't written for it as it is not FDA approved in kids and we are shunting all cough fever patients to one clinic. I guess you could prescribe azithro only but unlikely to help. Itnis still very debatable if the HCQ + AZITHRO combo actually does anything useful and it has potential to trigger a lethal arrhythmia in some patients. It is not a harmless combo.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chigger
AG
KidDoc said:

This is exactly why I think the best course is just isolate and stay away from risk vectors and wait until we can all catch up. Testing, supplies, treatment plans, everything is in emergency mode. If you can avoid getting caught in this initial phase... I think outcomes will be vastly different, and better.
VKint
AG
A couple of remarks.
There is no evidence hcq + azithromycin works. By works you could look at different end points. Save lives, prevent intubation, prevent hospitalization, etc. Not one legitimate trial that shows it saves lives. As far as we know it may increase deaths due to heart rhythm problems.
A zpack for a sinus infection is not good practice. Most sinus infections are viral, those that are bacterial are nearly always resistant to it. It was grossly overused in the past. Taking a zpack to prevent pneumonia might help select out a more resistant bug.
The Drs should have talked to OP and kept in close touch. That was bad. The treatment was correct, time and watch symptoms, hospitalize for respiratory decompensation.
Tests are still a problem, finally got a result back from 13 days ago today.
H Fawcett
Stay at home and hopefully you don't die. That's the strategy we are taking.
Mark Fairchild
AG
My wife and I share your strategy.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Day 14:

Good news today I feel somewhat human. Still tons of **** in my lungs, a little short of breath, and feel extremely weak. Hopefully this means I am about done with it.
KidDoc
AG
aggie1819 said:

Day 14:

Good news today I feel somewhat human. Still tons of **** in my lungs, a little short of breath, and feel extremely weak. Hopefully this means I am about done with it.

From the current data you should be all clear, days 7-10 seem to be when people flip to critical status.
Tom Cardy
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

FaithfulAg04 said:

Wow. DO. NOT. WANT.

I'm 38 and had asthma issues into my early 30s.

I have now decided I do not want the COVID.

This story was very disheartening. So when they say "80% experience Mild symptoms", the fortunate with Mild symptoms may still have to survive a week of this? What a mess.

There are very differing definitions of mild. So far as I can tell this is how its all breaking down in the US in approximates:

25 out of every 100 or so.: Truly Mild or Completely Asymptomatic:

35 out of every 100 or so: Light Cough, Noticeable headaches, Light Fever (101 or less), Runny Nose, Congestion

25 out of every 100 or so: Cough, Higher Fever, Massive migraine like headaches, Breathing Difficulty, Loss of Taste or Smell Feels like you need hospitalization but apparently you don't:

13 out of every 100 or so: Need hospitalization , end up on ventilator and/or in ICU:

2 out of every 100 or so: Die

Do you have a basis for this estimate? I haven't seen a breakdown like this at all, and there are almost 0 stories coming out about people who have it with very very mild symptoms.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Just an update for those that are interested.

I haven't been sick in 3-4 months. While I feel fine sitting still. I am still paying for it. Any activity results in unusually elevated heart rate (for me) and fatigue. Exercise, while I can still probably do more than a lot of people, it is no where close to how it was before the illness. A far cry from an ironman. I doubt I could run 5 miles today.

Strength and endurance is still very much lacking. I had planned on doing another ironman and back country mountain hunt this year, but not sure I will be able to get the training in to be successful and if I get in a bind, I am not confident in my current abilities.

Doctor had previously stated it could take 3-6 months to fully recover. We are going on 4 so I am just going to continue to exercise and hopefully slowly build myself back.

Wish EPO was an option. haha It worked for Lance.
HotardAg07
AG
Sorry to hear it's been slow coming back. As someone who has been training for endurance events as well, I can understand it has been a shot to your psyche to have such a setback out of your control.

I was just linking your post recently on another thread for a person describing similar issues. Maybe you can connect to share experiences.
https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3123165

P.U.T.U
AG
Kick-R said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

FaithfulAg04 said:

Wow. DO. NOT. WANT.

I'm 38 and had asthma issues into my early 30s.

I have now decided I do not want the COVID.

This story was very disheartening. So when they say "80% experience Mild symptoms", the fortunate with Mild symptoms may still have to survive a week of this? What a mess.

There are very differing definitions of mild. So far as I can tell this is how its all breaking down in the US in approximates:

25 out of every 100 or so.: Truly Mild or Completely Asymptomatic:

35 out of every 100 or so: Light Cough, Noticeable headaches, Light Fever (101 or less), Runny Nose, Congestion

25 out of every 100 or so: Cough, Higher Fever, Massive migraine like headaches, Breathing Difficulty, Loss of Taste or Smell Feels like you need hospitalization but apparently you don't:

13 out of every 100 or so: Need hospitalization , end up on ventilator and/or in ICU:

2 out of every 100 or so: Die

Do you have a basis for this estimate? I haven't seen a breakdown like this at all, and there are almost 0 stories coming out about people who have it with very very mild symptoms.
Most doctors have been saying this will have a 0.3-0.7% IFR so right away your numbers are wrong. Add that with the CDC saying 70%+ are asymptomatic and your numbers are way off from the start.
P.U.T.U
AG
aggie1819 said:

Wish EPO was an option. haha It worked for Lance.
You live in Texas right? I hear there is a guy named Lance Armstrong in Austin that may know where you can get some EPO

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.