My Covid 19 Experience in BCS.

24,550 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by P.U.T.U
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have allergic seasonal asthma too. It's caused me some concern.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
cbr said:

How does one check 02 and heart rate at home?
Buy a pulse/OX meter from the pharmacy. Heart rate is easy. Count pulse on your wrist to calculate BPM. I wear a heart rate monitor 24/7 on my triathlon watch. It is not medically accurate, but gives a good baseline.

Pulse/Ox meter will give both readings.
Post removed:
by user
Thomas Ford 91
AG
I said to call 911 if he starts to decline.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
MyNameIsKyle said:

The lack of testing availability is damn near criminal mismanagement, and incompetence, at best.
Sounds like a majority of the resources and medicine are going to New York and will transition to New Orleans and Los Angeles next.
Tailgate88
AG
cbr said:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HSAG8BE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
cbr said:

For those who may own certain models of Samsung Galaxy phones (S9 and S10 for sure), there is a pulse oximiter built in. You can access it using the Samsung Health app from the Galaxy Store. Use the "Measure stress" feature of the app, place your finger on the sensor, and you'll get your pulse and O2 saturation.
bangobango
AG
MyNameIsKyle said:

The lack of testing availability is damn near criminal mismanagement, and incompetence, at best.
Yep, Abbott is really pissing me off with how he is handling this.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Doctors would classify the OP's experience as 'Mild' symptoms, correct?

Not even. Mild symptoms get tested.

This reads like a panic attack with a feedback loop from hell.

Eventually, you either call an ambulance and get checked in.

Or accept what the Dr. says and chill.

Crazy powerful the brain is.
Yeah I am not having a panic attack. Nice try.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Pumpkinhead said:

No offense but this is a horrible post. "Chilling" is easier said than done with those symptoms and knowing what we know.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Also have quite a bit of family that work as both nurses and doctors in hospitals and ERs and testing is still not as available as some people are saying. I know there is more widespread testing on the way, but to say its already here, and everyone who needs it gets it is absolutely absurd. This is coming straight from the front lines.
Boat Shoes
AG
aggie1819 said:

itsyourboypookie said:

Pumpkinhead said:

I bet his comment got your blood pumping though!
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Also have quite a bit of family that work as both nurses and doctors in hospitals and ERs and testing is still not as available as some people are saying. I know there is more widespread testing on the way, but to say its already here, and everyone who needs it gets it is absolutely absurd. This is coming straight from the front lines.
Agree. When my symptoms peaked, they said they didn't have near the tests and were reserving them for people that had more dramatic symptoms. Mostly older people. I told them I understood and knew I wouldn't die.

I feel like I have finally turned a corner today and as long as I do not get a respiratory infection, I should return to somewhat normal soon. I started a Zpack today to prevent respiratory infection.
bangobango
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Imagine being this full of your own bull**** that you would post this where other people could read it.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Boat Shoes said:

aggie1819 said:

itsyourboypookie said:

Pumpkinhead said:

haha boiling is more like it. I feel better today. A week ago i probably would have spewed a few curse words. I am going to try to ride my bike trainer a bit today to just get my legs moving a bit.
PJYoung
AG
In the past 7 days the entire state of California has averaged 2,000 tests a day.

Someday we will be testing in force but today is not that day and yes, it is criminal considering what early testing could've given us.
TxAG#2011
OP, were you aware there were a significant amount of cases reported in Colorado ski resorts before you went up there?
CapCityAg89
AG
Tailgate88 said:

cbr said:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HSAG8BE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do you know how I know you're awesome?

The smile at the beginning of that URL.
kdub94
AG
Yesterday a news show was interviewing Dick Cheney's cardiologist and he said that many people are calling 911 thinking they are having a heart attack, only to find that they are actually COVID positive...either it's causing MI symptoms or actually causing MI's. He said it is causing even more chaos in the hospitals because of these mixed symptoms.
Tailgate88
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Tailgate88 said:

cbr said:

Do you know how I know you're awesome?

The smile at the beginning of that URL.
Thanks! Amazon Smile is great! I am actually fund-raising chair for our high school band boosters and we signed up so all our band families could benefit the boosters. Pretty cool thing they do!
Fitch
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

"Mild" is a spectrum, but yes, this would be mild in a clinical setting.
"Severe" gets you hospitalized.
"Critical" means life threatening and ICU.

OP -- hang in there. Glad you are on the mend. We're close to the same age and this recount of your experience is humbling.
Shiner Bock
for those looking for pulse ox at home, ebay has quite a few buy it now listings shown as in stock. I just ordered one for $20 with shipping
JeremiahJohnson
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

OP, were you aware there were a significant amount of cases reported in Colorado ski resorts before you went up there?

There weren't any reported cases when I got there. They had the first one while we were there. All but one of the cases were after we left.
AC Hopper
S

Quote:

haha boiling is more like it. I feel better today. A week ago i probably would have spewed a few curse words. I am going to try to ride my bike trainer a bit today to just get my legs moving a bit.
Would have been understandable.
I'm very glad to hear you are ok.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Take care.
South Platte
aggie1819 said:

Boat Shoes said:

aggie1819 said:

itsyourboypookie said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Doctors would classify thWere e OP's experience as 'Mild' symptoms, correct?

Di

Test, no test, probably didn't matter. You obviously felt horrible. Were you ever at a point where you thought you needed to be hospitalized?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
South Platte said:

aggie1819 said:

Boat Shoes said:

aggie1819 said:

itsyourboypookie said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Doctors would classify thWere e OP's experience as 'Mild' symptoms, correct?

Di

Test, no test, probably didn't matter. You obviously felt horrible. Were you ever at a point where you thought you needed to be hospitalized?

Tuesday night I had a bad asthma attack and coughing fit. I couldn't catch my breath. I thought about going to the ER, but tried everything I had at home and was able to get it to lessen. Breathing steam helped me quit coughing long enough to catch my breath.
South Platte
That's scary. Do you think if you wanted to be admitted they would have admitted you or refused until you got worse and had to call 911?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
South Platte said:

That's scary. Do you think if you wanted to be admitted they would have admitted you or refused until you got worse and had to call 911?

That's a good question. Honestly have no idea. I am just glad I didn't get to that point. I tried to follow their instructions and stay away because I don't want to spread what I have.

As long as I don't get pneumonia, I think I'm in the clear
South Platte
Thanks for responding. I can't believe how long this thing lasts. Did you care for yourself or have someone checking on you? Seems like this would hit everyone in the house.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
South Platte said:

Thanks for responding. I can't believe how long this thing lasts. Did you care for yourself or have someone checking on you? Seems like this would hit everyone in the house.

My wife has been with me. She has shown no symptoms at all. She did have a viral respiratory infection at the end of January and tested negative for the flu.
Capitol Ag
AG
aggie1819 said:

For background I am 34 years old multiple Ironman triathlete. So I am not your typical unhealthy patient.
This is the drum I beat as a trainer, being in peak level shape maximizes one's ability to overcome almost anything and why I try to explain to clients and others not to just follow the general guidelines for good health but to make the "excessive" level of fitness your norm. Whether it's being a triathlete, marathon runner, strength lifter, whatever. Be an athlete not a card puncher who does the minimum.

Being a triathlete probably saved your life or at the very least made a very bad situation not get worse. Prayers for your complete recovery.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Capitol Ag said:

aggie1819 said:

For background I am 34 years old multiple Ironman triathlete. So I am not your typical unhealthy patient.
This is the drum I beat as a trainer, being in peak level shape maximizes one's ability to overcome almost anything and why I try to explain to clients and others not to just follow the general guidelines for good health but to make the "excessive" level of fitness your norm. Whether it's being a triathlete, marathon runner, strength lifter, whatever. Be an athlete not a card puncher who does the minimum.

Being a triathlete probably saved your life or at the very least made a very bad situation not get worse. Prayers for your complete recovery.

I can't argue with that. I definitely think it helps. I appreciate the kind words. I was actually registered to compete in Ultraman last weekend. Of course it was cancelled or postponed until the fall.
Capitol Ag
AG
Sorry to hear that. Cancellations have been an issue for a lot of my triathlete friends. Plus where to get in the weights and swimming. Most have the mechanism (forgot the name) they can hook their cycle up to and the weather's been great to run.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Capitol Ag said:

Sorry to hear that. Cancellations have been an issue for a lot of my triathlete friends. Plus where to get in the weights and swimming. Most have the mechanism (forgot the name) they can hook their cycle up to and the weather's been great to run.

I got lucky because my symptoms would have started the first day of the race. We are supposed to complete race in November. Once I feel good enough to exercise I will be back on my bike trainer and Zwift.
94chem
aggie1819 said:

Capitol Ag said:

I got lucky because my symptoms would have started the first day of the race. We are supposed to complete race in November. Once I feel good enough to exercise I will be back on my bike trainer and Zwift.

But marathons right now are a bad idea. They temporarily reduce immunity for a couple of weeks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.