Tarrant county... Neighborhood kids playing together outside

7,484 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LeisureSuitLarry
FDXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live on a cul-de-sac and every day since school has been out, all the neighborhood kids have been out in force. playing, socializing, definitely engaging in close proximity with each other. Probably 15 to 20 kids dispersed throughout the street in various groups. My 3 kids have been part of the group.

Is this supposed to be happening? I understand it's hard to tell kids to stay inside and not socialize with their neighbor friends. I don't want to tell them to stop and frustrate them, and likely my wife, but can't help but get concerned a bit. I'm out at my job during the day (can't work from home) and I'm attempting to practice social distancing whenever possible. Looks like we've had a confirmed case today in our area from a parent at a daycare up the road. Just curious what people's thoughts are.......
BrokeAssAggie
If they stay in 2 groups of 10 it's ok.
Czechs Out 03
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

In certain neighborhoods, they dress in red and blue outfits so you can tell the difference. And they make sure the other one stays off their turf.
BrokeAssAggie
Czechs Out 03 said:

CrazyRichAggie said:

In certain neighborhoods, they dress in red and blue outfits so you can tell the difference. And they make sure the other one stays off their turf.

Oh yeah, with bandannas!
jopatura
AG
My neighborhood would say that's a no go. No one but the family you live with. They even try to schedule when the kids can play in the front yard. Our neighbor made his kid go inside from the backyard when mine came out for fear they would interact through the fence.
TXAggie2011
AG
No, they shouldn't be doing that.

But hopefully they and their parents all stay in the cul-de-sac and remain their own little healthy microcosm.
vansprinkle
AG
My kids are 7&5, they are not allowed to play with friends. All of the other kids their age are also not playing with other families. Our kids used to go out everyday and all play together, since China Virus not have played.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
FDXAg said:

I live on a cul-de-sac and every day since school has been out, all the neighborhood kids have been out in force. playing, socializing, definitely engaging in close proximity with each other. Probably 15 to 20 kids dispersed throughout the street in various groups. My 3 kids have been part of the group.

Is this supposed to be happening? I understand it's hard to tell kids to stay inside and not socialize with their neighbor friends. I don't want to tell them to stop and frustrate them, and likely my wife, but can't help but get concerned a bit. I'm out at my job during the day (can't work from home) and I'm attempting to practice social distancing whenever possible. Looks like we've had a confirmed case today in our area from a parent at a daycare up the road. Just curious what people's thoughts are.......

My thoughts are your wife, kids, and neighbors are acting selfishly and endangering the rest of us who are "playing by the rules".
Ol_Ag_02
AG
FDXAg said:

I don't want to tell them to stop and frustrate them

Also since you asked. You're not their friend, you're not their buddy. You're their father, man the **** up and realize you're the one in charge. Not them.

Being a parent is hard. So make the right choice and quit worrying about hurting your kids feelings. Nut up, Francis.

I swear this country is screwed one way or the other.

FDXAg
AG
Points taken. I didn't know this was going on until I saw it today and inquired. Told them no more effective tonight.

It is very frustrating that they were part of the masses who were disregarding these recommendations. I knew they weren't exactly taking this as serious as I was, but didn't realize they were basically ignoring the social distancing aspect entirely with the neighbors.

Dddfff
AG
So I'm a terrible person for letting my kid play in the sac.
flashplayer
AG
Kids are more resistant to the virus by and large. So who gives a damn really? If people who are concerned are taking proper precautions, they wouldn't get infected anyway.

You can't hold others accountable for your own health.
Post removed:
by user
agsalaska
Proposition Joe
Part of the problem is early on we were told stuff like that was OK and that this thing rarely hits kids.

People dont listen to the news everyday, which is why we should have been strict on the direction from jump street instead of these half measures every single day.

Even the announcement tomorrow. Look, i agree "shelter in place" sounds scarier than it is, but "stay home yall"? No one will take that seriously that wasnt before.
Badace52
AG
My neighborhood kids are doing the same thing. I am not letting my kids participate. Even if the neighbor kids are healthy I can't guarantee mine aren't shedding virus after all the possible and confirmed Covid-19 patients I have seen in the ER.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agsalaska
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Part of the problem is early on we were told stuff like that was OK and that this thing rarely hits kids.

To be honest, I do not remember ever hearing that. Or maybe we took it different. I have always believed that kids do not often show any symptoms, but nobody that I ever read said that they are not carriers. Thats what everything said that I read.

Maybe we were reading two different things.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Dddfff
AG
My kid would would off himself if he didn't play with the same 2-3 kids regularly.
SmackDaddy
AG
Beat the Hell said:

My kid would would off himself if he didn't play with the same 2-3 kids regularly.
He'll get over it.
Dddfff
AG
Cool I'll let him know Freeze Frame said to stay inside
LEJ
OMG... don't hurt their feelings. You'll scar them for life!
combat wombat™
AG
I broke down and have allowed my kids to play with the ONE family (mom & two kids) across the street. They either play basketball in our driveway or swim in their pool. That family is otherwise on level 5 lockdown. Mom stocked up so she doesn't have to go to the store. She works from home. They are not going anywhere. Both sets of kids were out of their minds. I was reluctant at first, but they are taking the bigger risk than I am.

We are socially distancing, as well, but less. I work from home. My husband has to go into the office maybe a couple of times per week. Otherwise, an occasional trip to the grocery store or for take out is it. LOTS of hand sanitizer after interactions with others and/or returning to the car on those trips. Hand washing immediately upon returning home.

One of my kid's best friends lives down the street and they are off limits. One of the parents recently traveled via airplane and the kids went to camp for spring break last week. NOPE.

My mother needed to borrow a computer cable today. She's in her 70s and finished chemo for cancer about 12-18 months ago. I have intentionally avoided her. She came over, popped the tailgate and I put it in. She's going to disinfect it and wash her hands when she gets home. I didn't hug her, didn't come within 6 feet of her.

That being said, we are in HARRIS county.

schwabbin
AG
They'll be fine. They're kids. You on the other hand are ****ed.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think because my wife works in the ER, everyone looks at our house like its some kind of haunted house.
Gunny456
AG
Holy cow. The whole idea is to not possibly spread the disease.. Kids may not die from it but they can carry it and spread it. Can that not be understood. If we are all having to be forced to do this then it should be done right?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Need to get ol' Corn Pop out there to scare these kids straight.
ec2004
AG
As a parent of a 9, 6, and 4 year old this is a hard question.

Believe me, my kids get plenty of tough love - but playing outside with other kids who we know (in our case) are not sick and who have not been going to school feels relatively low risk.

That said, I don't fault families who aren't comfortable letting their kids interact with other kids.
380Ag
AG
Our neighborhood has tons of kids playing outside. We have kept ours inside. The issue we have is our neighbor across the street is a chiropractor and has convinced a large number of people that the virus is no big deal. He feels regular adjustments, elderberry and vitamin C can prevent the spread. So, his kids are always outside, playing with the whole neighborhood. He hasn't slowed his practice down so if he ever gets it, it gonna spread like a mofo.
combat wombat™
AG
Yeah, I'd keep mine in, too.
tysker
AG
Gunny456 said:

Holy cow. The whole idea is to not possibly spread the disease.. Kids may not die from it but they can carry it and spread it. Can that not be understood. If we are all having to be forced to do this then it should be done right?
To whom would it be spread it, if the kids and their parents are otherwise self-isolating?
BrandoC
AG
The only reason they are saying stay around only 10 people is because the ratio of people they are dreaming up who have coronivirus must be 1 in every 11 people, which is not even remotely true.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
tysker said:

Gunny456 said:

To whom would it be spread it, if the kids and their parents are otherwise self-isolating?

OP goes to work everyday.
planoaggie123
AG
We are not allowing our kids to play with others for now. We are taking a semi extreme hard-line on this stuff...for now. I plan to get back to normal ASAP.

We live on a cul-de-sac. It is out of the way for 99% of neighborhood traffic yet still we have had issues with kids coming down, both supervised and unsupervised, right in front of our house when our kids are playing. My wife took the kids inside.

We love where our house is and the cul-de-sac was a huge reason we bought and its frustrating that we paid a mild premium for the spot but now other kids are using it and my kids cannot. Those kids should stay in front of their house. There is almost ZERO traffic.

edit: today i told my wife if it happens again to have both our kids start coughing really loud....
Wife of Chas Satterfield
FDXAg said:

This is the perfect example why closing schools and universities are not an effective mitigation / suppression strategy.
TRADUCTOR
HOA needs to start issuing violations!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.