Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,249,886 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tamc91
ontherocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks doc. I have to go back to work in a week and am 35 and not very overweight but have prehypertension and prediabetes. Runs in the family. Plus I believe I have other issues as I go to the restroom way more than I should and can't hold a beer in to save my life. Also I believe I am getting rheumatoid arthritis like my father and grandmother. Wish I could get all this confirmed but I don't want to go to the doctor right now. Anyways I'm going to take what you're taking and just wanted to say thank you for putting out recommendations for us.
Counterpoint
AG
What's a reputable quercetin brand to get? Everything I've been able to find online looks like it was made and bottled in someone's garage.
JD Shellnut
AG
Counterpoint said:

What's a reputable quercetin brand to get? Everything I've been able to find online looks like it was made and bottled in someone's garage.

https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/quercetin-phytosome?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmdzzBRC7ARIsANdqRRkcVeE8ZXED_ziNM4AzzkuVhMRy5SnvjagX4g8vXOr3J4YFGeL8ntAaAmN5EALw_wcB

This is what I have been using.
Counterpoint
AG
Drifter. said:

Counterpoint said:

https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/quercetin-phytosome?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmdzzBRC7ARIsANdqRRkcVeE8ZXED_ziNM4AzzkuVhMRy5SnvjagX4g8vXOr3J4YFGeL8ntAaAmN5EALw_wcB

This is what I have been using.
Thanks!
BSD
AG
Reveille said:

BSD said:

TexAg91 said:

Reveille said:

Go back and look at one of my earlier updates on supplements that may help protect you since they are zinc ionophores!

Green tea and Quercetin
Should I take Quercetin and/or zinc now, or save it for if / when I get the virus?

I have the same question. I'm 44 with a history of dilated cardiomyopathy and LBBB (I've gotten better with a BiV pacer and meds) so I'm pretty anxious about all this and loaded up on supplements just in case.

You are definitely higher risk. For you I would be more aggressive this is what l take since I am high risk being a healthcare Worker.

Vitamin C 1g per day, Quercetin 1g twice per day, Green Tea 1 per day, Zinc 50mg per day and melatonin 5 to 10mg per day

Thank you, Doc. I have an appointment with my cardiologist on the 22nd so I'll have a ton of questions for him, mainly what do I do if I show symptoms, knowing my history.

I have to admit, after a miraculous recovery to get my EF from 15 to 55%, overcoming the flu and pneumonia about a year ago, and just being a hard headed male, I was not at all worried about this virus. I even flew to Vegas to start the family spring break before we headed out into the desert Southwest. But after reading this thread, I realized what the world is dealing with. It scared me to the core. We ended up driving back and I've been at home ever since. Thank you for that all that you do. This gratitude goes for every single person fighting out there. God bless you all.
FrecklesDad
AG
No doc here, but as the commercial says, "Big Al's like you, he has HBP and diabetes too!". I also had an enlarged prostate. Both an enlarged prostate and diabetes can cause you to pee more often. Sounds like you need to go see the doc.

Being diabetic puts you more at risk for the virus. Something like 34 plus percent of the bad cases were diabetic in one study. Has something to do with the way the virus reacts with blood sugar or something.

This stuff is real bad.

P.S. - since you are just 35 years old, I doubt that you have an enlarged prostate.
buffalo chip
S
Reveille said:

BSD said:

TexAg91 said:

Reveille said:

Go back and look at one of my earlier updates on supplements that may help protect you since they are zinc ionophores!

Green tea and Quercetin
Should I take Quercetin and/or zinc now, or save it for if / when I get the virus?

I have the same question. I'm 44 with a history of dilated cardiomyopathy and LBBB (I've gotten better with a BiV pacer and meds) so I'm pretty anxious about all this and loaded up on supplements just in case.

You are definitely higher risk. For you I would be more aggressive this is what l take since I am high risk being a healthcare Worker.

Vitamin C 1g per day, Quercetin 1g twice per day, Green Tea 1 per day, Zinc 50mg per day and melatonin 5 to 10mg per day

Doctor Rev... If you are on BP meds, is green tea safe (drinking or supplements...)? Years ago my wife read a university study that claimed green tea could interfere with BP medication. Any issues?
NC Ag
AG
Being a diabetic, I've poured over the info the last few weeks. Diabetics have ugly results with COVID-19. What I can't find is were the diabetics under control or where they diabetics that had poor glucose numbers? When I was diagnosed 7+ months ago, I had glucose numberss in the 250's with an A1C over 9. My March number average was 119 and my last A1C (Feb) was in the 5's. So I'm under control but does that help with my COVID-19 risk? Or just being a diabetic make you high risk?
missyaggie
AG
Dr. Reveille,
I take hydroxychloroquine daily for cutaneous lupus. Is there any benefit to adding quercetin to that? Any dangers?
Thanks for all you're doing and for this great, informative thread!
Be safe!
Exsurge Domine
missyaggie said:

Dr. Reveille,
I take hydroxychloroquine daily for cutaneous lupus. Is there any benefit to adding quercetin to that? Any dangers?
Be safe!

Uhh....can you send me some. I too have lupus and have.....ran out. Yes. Some remdesivir as well If you have it
Diyala Nick
AG
From Twitter, proning patients seems to improve outcomes and keep them off of ventilators.

Rock Too
AG
Question for the doctors on this thread:

I'm late 50's in decent health, generally fit, slightly overweight and had bronchitis for the first time 2 yrs ago....I still have a mostly full steroid inhaler from treating it. I also use a CPAP machine with a water reservoir, though you wouldn't think I would need one if you saw me, but I can't sleep on my back without one.

Though I'm doing all the things you guys recommend to keep from the getting the disease, I'm now preparing to have to fight it eventually....hopefully not, but want to be prepared. Considering the above I have a couple of questions:

- what considerations or precautions should I take with using the cpap machine?
-considering I have a water reservoir are there things I could add to the water to help symptoms or fight the virus.
-is the inhaler I mentioned still good and would that help fight the disease.
-any other thoughts relative to preparing to fight the disease....otc stuff I'll need

apologize if this has been covered already. I did try to look thru history to see if it had been discussed
Complete Idiot
Diyala Nick said:

From Twitter, proning patients seems to improve outcomes and keep them off of ventilators.

For those that don't know, prone means lying on your stomach (vs supine lying on your back)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6026253/
FrecklesDad
AG
From what I have read, it is the high blood sugar which helps the virus, but maybe I am just hopeful that if you keep it under control that it will help. We need a doctor to answer this.
Reveille
AG
Blanco Jimenez said:

Any truth to the story on social media that ivermectin is killing the virus in tests? I sure hope so because I took a bath in that stuff working cows on Tuesday.
Yes the small amount information I have seen looks promising but I have to read more on it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgsMyDude
AG
Reveille said:

AgsMyDude said:

Reveille said:

jakester03 said:

Hey Doc, how much quercitren and zinc do you recommend for healthy 38 yr olds? Also do you recommend supplements for kids?

For a 38 y/o I would take 1g of Quercetin twice per day and 1 zinc pill any strength.

While the vitamins are likely safe for children they rarely have serious complications so no need taking them in children.

Children have a very strong inate immune system which we now believe is what protects us from serious disease.

Any multivitamin recommendations for someone in that same age range? Maybe something that includes good zinc/vitamin D and C levels?

Love your posts, always very informative!

Would take Vitamin C but not Vitamin D

Vitamin D may have some properties to help prevent you from getting ill but if you get sick it has the potential to increase cytokinie storm so unless you are deficient I would consider holding it. I discussed it in a previous blog.

Thanks! I'll look for that info!

Are you against an all encompassing multivitamin vs specific individual vitamins/supplements (C, Zinc, Green Tea, etc.) ?
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Ok you younger people. I need an old folks translation because my mind and era never did think metric.

My quercetin just came in today. It is 250 mg. I am 71 and not in the best of health.
My vitamin c is 500 mg

How many PILLS to I need to take a day? And if multiple is it better to take them in two sessions or all at once? I am taking 9 whatevers of melatonin at bedtime. My pills are 3.

thanks
Reveille
AG
clintaggie04 said:

What is your opinion on "cleaning" groceries? I'm talking about things that I can't just leave out in the sun. If possible, what do you recommend for items in plastic or cans (yogurt, lunch meat, can goods, bread, etc) and what do you recommend for fresh produce?
Rinsing them off and putting in refrigerator should be for produce. Wash your hands after rinsing off the produce though. Plastic items it can live longer on so I would recommend some soap and water or disinfect wipes on the package for those. Cardboard boxes it doesn't live near as long so overnight the virus most likely will be gone on then.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
ontherocks said:

Thanks doc. I have to go back to work in a week and am 35 and not very overweight but have prehypertension and prediabetes. Runs in the family. Plus I believe I have other issues as I go to the restroom way more than I should and can't hold a beer in to save my life. Also I believe I am getting rheumatoid arthritis like my father and grandmother. Wish I could get all this confirmed but I don't want to go to the doctor right now. Anyways I'm going to take what you're taking and just wanted to say thank you for putting out recommendations for us.
You are welcome! Stay safe!
Reveille
AG
BSD said:

Reveille said:

BSD said:

TexAg91 said:

Reveille said:

Green tea and Quercetin

Thank you, Doc. I have an appointment with my cardiologist on the 22nd so I'll have a ton of questions for him, mainly what do I do if I show symptoms, knowing my history.

I have to admit, after a miraculous recovery to get my EF from 15 to 55%, overcoming the flu and pneumonia about a year ago, and just being a hard headed male, I was not at all worried about this virus. I even flew to Vegas to start the family spring break before we headed out into the desert Southwest. But after reading this thread, I realized what the world is dealing with. It scared me to the core. We ended up driving back and I've been at home ever since. Thank you for that all that you do. This gratitude goes for every single person fighting out there. God bless you all.
I think that is a very smart plan. He can discuss your personal risks of using HCQ just in case you ever need it. Stay safe and congrats on getting your EF back up. That is very impressive.
Reveille
AG
buffalo chip said:

Reveille said:

BSD said:

TexAg91 said:

Reveille said:

Green tea and Quercetin

Doctor Rev... If you are on BP meds, is green tea safe (drinking or supplements...)? Years ago my wife read a university study that claimed green tea could interfere with BP medication. Any issues?
Green tea is a mild stimulant like caffeine so it can raise blood pressure a little and you should monitor closely while taking it. However, most people do not have too much of an issue with it unless you consume a whole lot of it.
Reveille
AG
NC Ag said:

Being a diabetic, I've poured over the info the last few weeks. Diabetics have ugly results with COVID-19. What I can't find is were the diabetics under control or where they diabetics that had poor glucose numbers? When I was diagnosed 7+ months ago, I had glucose numberss in the 250's with an A1C over 9. My March number average was 119 and my last A1C (Feb) was in the 5's. So I'm under control but does that help with my COVID-19 risk? Or just being a diabetic make you high risk?
Under control they are doing better so congrats on getting your sugars down. Good time to do so also. Just being a diabetic does raise your risks but certainly not as much as the uncontrolled diabetics.
Reveille
AG
missyaggie said:

Dr. Reveille,
Be safe!
Not sure but I believe you shouldn't really need to do that as they have similar mechanisms of action both being Zinc ionophores. I think you would likely benefit more from a Zinc supplement to make sure you have enough.
I have not seen any data on the use of them together.
Reveille
AG
Diyala Nick said:

This is being reported in a lot of place that prone breathing seems to be beneficial. I don't know why at this time but I will be looking into it.
JClark97
AG
Doc,
I am going to ditch my multivitamin and start taking vitamin C, Zinc etc. Do you buy Zinc Gluconate or Zimc Picolinste, or is either okay?
AgResearch
AG
Reveille said:

Diyala Nick said:

This is being reported in a lot of place that prone breathing seems to be beneficial. I don't know why at this time but I will be looking into it.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4173887/
Proposition Joe
Reveille:

Thanks for all your doing, trying to get some advice to push me in the right direction. Starting around March 10th or so I've had chest tightness in the sternum region. Not sharp pains, but tough to ignore. I chalked them up to just general stress or allergies (though I've never really had issues with allergies). But chest pains are not all that uncommon for me if I have too much caffeine (i've actually cut out caffeine the last 2.5 weeks).

Since then they've gotten more prevalent, last 4-5 days seems like I wake up with them and while they'll subside some during the afternoon they often return in the evenings.

No other symptoms. No fever, no cough. No sore throat. From March 10th -> 20th or so I was jogging 3 miles a day with no issues. Have a pulse oximeter and it's consistently shown 98/99 %SpO2 and right now shows a PRbpm of 50 while sitting down (haven't checked that consistently so don't know if it's always around there).

About 10 or so years ago I had chest pains and had an EKG and really the only issue found was what the doctor considered a "minor arrhythmia". Enough that he brought it up, but not enough that he said he was terribly concerned about it. I've always had what my gf describes as a "quick short hiccup/gasp for breath" that I get randomly. I'd say I had one once every 3-4 nights (they are really not that noticeable to me anymore), but last 2-3 nights I've been getting them 4-5 times a night. Again nothing painful, just something happening more often than it had been previously.

I run a small biz by myself so my health care options are rather limited (read: I have a basic Oscar plan to handle any significant expenditures but mainly pay out of pocket and don't really have a true primary care practitioner -- I rarely go to the doctor).

My ultimate question is this - If I am in the Fort Worth area (which is starting to ramp up in cases but still isn't considered bad by any stretch), is this worth risking going to an Urgent Care center to have them check my heart? Is that going to likely wind up them sending me to a larger facility where I have an even greater chance of possibly getting infected and having to quarantine from my gf for 14 days which would put a lot of stress on her). Or is there some over-the-counter/at-home advice you would give just to wait it out for a while longer?

The $$$ isn't an issue. Just trying to gauge risk/reward on going to a medical clinic right now (though in two weeks that prospect might look even worse from a crowd standpoint).
Mark Fairchild
AG
Another negative to this virus: other medical issues not being addressed because of virus in hospitals. Many doctors are raising red flags on this issue. FOX addressed this last night.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
FrecklesDad
AG
Dude,

Sounds like you have sleep apnea at night (ie: gaping for breath) and some kind of heart issue, even if it is just angina due to stress. You need to get checked out for sure since it is getting worse.

Not a doctor, but I do recognize denial.
JYDog90
AG
My wife has rheumatoid arthritis and is taking enbrel to ****** joint deterioration. Is it a good idea for her to remain on that or should she get off it for a couple of months?

She's doing the quercetain and multivitamin

Thanks!
Reveille
AG
Rock1983 said:

Question for the doctors on this thread:

I'm late 50's in decent health, generally fit, slightly overweight and had bronchitis for the first time 2 yrs ago....I still have a mostly full steroid inhaler from treating it. I also use a CPAP machine with a water reservoir, though you wouldn't think I would need one if you saw me, but I can't sleep on my back without one.

Though I'm doing all the things you guys recommend to keep from the getting the disease, I'm now preparing to have to fight it eventually....hopefully not, but want to be prepared. Considering the above I have a couple of questions:

- what considerations or precautions should I take with using the cpap machine?
-considering I have a water reservoir are there things I could add to the water to help symptoms or fight the virus.
-is the inhaler I mentioned still good and would that help fight the disease.
-any other thoughts relative to preparing to fight the disease....otc stuff I'll need

apologize if this has been covered already. I did try to look thru history to see if it had been discussed
Interesting questions that I am not sure we have covered yet. As for CPAP we now believe that the virus can aerolsize with ventilators, nebulizers and probably the CPAP machine. So if you catch the virus it would potentially spread through the air.

Not sure what you can do to the water. Inhalers don't help fight the disease but you need your lungs healthy in case you get ill.

Reveille
AG
JClark97 said:

Doc,
I am going to ditch my multivitamin and start taking vitamin C, Zinc etc. Do you buy Zinc Gluconate or Zimc Picolinste, or is either okay?
Any Zinc is fine.
Reveille
AG
AgResearch said:

Reveille said:

Diyala Nick said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4173887/
Thank you for the link, I haven't had the time to research as I have just been insanely busy lately. Interesting that while oxygenation improves mortality did not.
Reveille
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Reveille:

Thanks for all your doing, trying to get some advice to push me in the right direction. Starting around March 10th or so I've had chest tightness in the sternum region. Not sharp pains, but tough to ignore. I chalked them up to just general stress or allergies (though I've never really had issues with allergies). But chest pains are not all that uncommon for me if I have too much caffeine (i've actually cut out caffeine the last 2.5 weeks).

Since then they've gotten more prevalent, last 4-5 days seems like I wake up with them and while they'll subside some during the afternoon they often return in the evenings.

No other symptoms. No fever, no cough. No sore throat. From March 10th -> 20th or so I was jogging 3 miles a day with no issues. Have a pulse oximeter and it's consistently shown 98/99 %SpO2 and right now shows a PRbpm of 50 while sitting down (haven't checked that consistently so don't know if it's always around there).

About 10 or so years ago I had chest pains and had an EKG and really the only issue found was what the doctor considered a "minor arrhythmia". Enough that he brought it up, but not enough that he said he was terribly concerned about it. I've always had what my gf describes as a "quick short hiccup/gasp for breath" that I get randomly. I'd say I had one once every 3-4 nights (they are really not that noticeable to me anymore), but last 2-3 nights I've been getting them 4-5 times a night. Again nothing painful, just something happening more often than it had been previously.

I run a small biz by myself so my health care options are rather limited (read: I have a basic Oscar plan to handle any significant expenditures but mainly pay out of pocket and don't really have a true primary care practitioner -- I rarely go to the doctor).

My ultimate question is this - If I am in the Fort Worth area (which is starting to ramp up in cases but still isn't considered bad by any stretch), is this worth risking going to an Urgent Care center to have them check my heart? Is that going to likely wind up them sending me to a larger facility where I have an even greater chance of possibly getting infected and having to quarantine from my gf for 14 days which would put a lot of stress on her). Or is there some over-the-counter/at-home advice you would give just to wait it out for a while longer?

The $$$ isn't an issue. Just trying to gauge risk/reward on going to a medical clinic right now (though in two weeks that prospect might look even worse from a crowd standpoint).
Yes you should have this looked at. Too risky to assume is stress or allergies. You need labs and an EKG.
Reveille
AG
Mark

For some reason it won't let me reply to your statement. But absolutely it is a serious problem because all other medical diseases do stop because of COVID. Just this week I had a GI bleed, new onset A-fib, CHF exacerbation and an incarcerated hernia. The GI bleed and CHF patients are still in the hospital. The hernia was repaired and sent home. I treated the A fib with pills as an outpatient and is seeing cardiologist on Monday.
But this is a huge problem as we are running out of beds for the usual problems we see.
First Page Last Page
Page 45 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.