Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,404 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
AggieJ2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been looking at all the numbers and the recoveries are really low .. Is that truly accurate and the virus is sticking with people for so long (leaving them as Active) or are we just not closing out cases as "Recovered" because we cant verify recovery? Seems the recovered number is almost useless at this point. Really hoping we get an antibody test soon as this seems like a big key
Ogre09
AG
Just takes that long to recover. Look at recovered numbers in China, Italy, and Washington.
BiochemAg97
AG
AggieJosh2002 said:

Been looking at all the numbers and the recoveries are really low .. Is that truly accurate and the virus is sticking with people for so long (leaving them as Active) or are we just not closing out cases as "Recovered" because we cant verify recovery? Seems the recovered number is almost useless at this point. Really hoping we get an antibody test soon as this seems like a big key

Corona viruses in general take a long time to be cleared from the body (4 weeks?) The monkey test on this one is consistent with nearly 4 weeks to clear the virus. Would be about 3 weeks after symptoms.

We don't really have that many people who have had it for that long. Some 90yo lady from the old folks home in Washington was released from the hospital as virus free recently.
TAMUallen
AG
AW Aggie said:

I was outside playing with the kids and saw (and killed) a mosquito. Guess its getting to be that time though seems early this year. But, that got me thinking, is CV19 transferrable through mosquitoes or any other blood sucking insects? Haven't thought about this before or seen it discussed.

Saw this asked before, answer was no
Double Twin Marine
AG
Thank you. I must have missed it.
74Ag1
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

AggieJosh2002 said:

Corona viruses in general take a long time to be cleared from the body (4 weeks?) The monkey test on this one is consistent with nearly 4 weeks to clear the virus. Would be about 3 weeks after symptoms.

We don't really have that many people who have had it for that long. Some 90yo lady from the old folks home in Washington was released from the hospital as virus free recently.

So the timeline is
1) Exposed (but don't get it) 14days?
2) Exposed (but come down with it:
1) 3-14 days to come down with it
2) 7-14 days to get over it (negative test)
3) 3 weeks (21 days) to clear
4) Total = 24 - 35 days (3-5 weeks)
AggieJ2002
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

AggieJosh2002 said:

Wow .. gotcha ... so once confirmed positives hit the 4 week mark are they automatically marked as recovered if they dont seek any additional medical help or do they actually need to be tested again to be marked as recovered ... I assume we are not testing folks for recovery
California Ag 90
AG
interesting reading, posted for comment...

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-israeli-expert-trump-is-right-about-covid-19-who-is-wrong-1.8691031
We're from North California, and South Alabam
and little towns all around this land...
Tom Cardy
AG
Article is walled, care to summarize?
RCR06
AG
I read somewhere to be considered recovered you had to test negative twice(could be mistaken) after previously testing positive. We don't have enough tests now to test if people have it or not so I imagine they aren't testing afterward at this point.
California Ag 90
AG
Kick-R said:

weird - i don't subscribe and i went straight in.

We're from North California, and South Alabam
and little towns all around this land...
maroonbeansnrice
AG
California Ag 90 said:

Kick-R said:

weird - i don't subscribe and i went straight in.

Me too. Kick-R have you frequented their site a few times before? If yes, try going incognito mode. I have to do that now to read Houston Chronicle articles.
“It ain’t like it used to be.”
-Jimbo Fisher
Sid Farkas
AG
California Ag 90 said:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-israeli-expert-trump-is-right-about-covid-19-who-is-wrong-1.8691031
Im immediately skeptical but willing to listen
Quote:

Dr. Yamin is an engineer, not a physician
maroonbeansnrice
AG
Doc, if you haven't seen it already take a look at the thread by NawlinsAg titled, "Clinical Pearls Covid 19 for ER practitioners."
“It ain’t like it used to be.”
-Jimbo Fisher
Tom Cardy
AG
Strange, just tried again and it let me in with no issue.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Anyway to filter by verified docs?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I had trouble getting in on my phone. I forgot I was using VPN. Once I turned that off it let me in without any trouble.

The website might have been getting too many requests from your IP address if you are using a shared one.
Reveille
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Look for the red crosses that should make it a little faster. They are slowly getting them all marked.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Reveille said:

Aggie09Derek said:

Look for the red crosses that should make it a little faster. They are slowly getting them all marked.
Yeah for sure. Thank you so much for everything.

Would just be nice to filter only by that and go from 34 pages to like 5 pages to read
rab79
AG
Sid Farkas said:

California Ag 90 said:

Im immediately skeptical but willing to listen
Quote:

Dr. Yamin is an engineer, not a physician

Who do you want doing math, an engineer or a doctor?
texrover91
AG
Reveille said:

reload85 said:

The article below is an statistical look at the positive folks on the cruise ship. It is a neat data set because I think everyone was tested .
The most interesting tidbit here is the level of asymptotic cases were higher in the middle older age groups. Preexisting immunity to other Coronaviruses or waining immunomonitor production (cytokines)? Thoughts?
Take care!
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.05.20031773v2.full.pdf

Thank you for sharing and it is very interesting article for sure. The scary thing of this article is they actually found more asymptomatic patients than patients with the disease. So as we have always expected the numbers are so much higher than we see because we are only testing the ones who are very ill.

Ok guess I'm confused - I would assume that's a "good news" story?

We're possibly building herd immunity at a faster rate, right?

Thanks again Doc - you're redazz!
Reveille
AG
Today's update! I will try to go back and look at questions soon.

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2651089021840705/?sfnsn=mo
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Madagascar
AG
Thanks Doc!

I noticed that you recommend to stop Vitamin D if you get sick. What happens if you take Vitamin D while sick?
Reveille
AG
Madagascar said:

Thanks Doc!

I noticed that you recommend to stop Vitamin D if you get sick. What happens if you take Vitamin D while sick?
It could potentially cause more inflammation which is how the virus damages the lungs. So while it may help prevent it initially if you get ill it may cause it to be more severe so stopping it may be best.
Reveille
AG
74Ag1 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

AggieJosh2002 said:

So the timeline is
1) Exposed (but don't get it) 14days?
2) Exposed (but come down with it:
1) 3-14 days to come down with it
2) 7-14 days to get over it (negative test)
3) 3 weeks (21 days) to clear
4) Total = 24 - 35 days (3-5 weeks)
Those are pretty good guesses based on what we know currently. That may change as more studies are released over time.
Reveille
AG
RCR06 said:

I read somewhere to be considered recovered you had to test negative twice(could be mistaken) after previously testing positive. We don't have enough tests now to test if people have it or not so I imagine they aren't testing afterward at this point.
The problem is the test has a low sensitivity of around 70%. So even when it is negative there is a 30% you still have the disease.
RCR06
AG
Reveille said:

RCR06 said:

The problem is the test has a low sensitivity of around 70%. So even when it is negative there is a 30% you still have the disease.
Is the test sensitivity the main problem with not showing people recovered or is it in addition to not having enough tests?
Old Sarge
AG
BiochemAg97
AG
RCR06 said:

Reveille said:

RCR06 said:

Is the test sensitivity the main problem with not showing people recovered or is it in addition to not having enough tests?
I think the test prioritization may be significant here, plus a time issue. Recovered should be a virus free state, not just out of critical care. So the question becomes do you use a test to determine if someone has it, or use the test to determine if someone is recovered. Plus, all the people sent home to self isolate won't necessarily come back to be retested.

Alternatively you could assume that if you are alive after 4 or 5 weeks, you have recovered, But that backs us out to infections that stated in Feb. given the lack of testing back then, there aren't a whole lot of positive cases to be recovered from that time frame.,
BiochemAg97
AG
Reveille said:

RCR06 said:

There was a case in San Antonio from those quarantined (don't know if cruise ship or repatriated from China). She tested negative twice (24 hrs apart as per release criteria), was released from quarantine and then tested positive and went back into quarantine. This would have been the CDC test.

I'm curious about the 70% sensitivity number given so many tests are out there now. I recall some concern that the test used in China wasn't very good, and there were issues with the CDC test. I saw a claim that part of the delay on approving the non-CDC tests was trying to get a higher sensitivity, so I am wondering if the current tests from ThermoFisher and Roche and the private labs are better and people are using the old 70% number based on the CDC test. I haven't been able to find any sensitivity data for any of the more recent tests. But then again, they are EUA and not "approved" so not sure we have the data to get an accurate sensitivity.
AgsMyDude
AG
The positive test was taken before leaving quarantine. The person was released after 2 negatives and had a pending test out. After spending hours at the mall and staying at a local hotel, that 3rd test came back positive. Then they had to go get them and put back into quarantine.
Reveille
AG
Old Sarge said:

Reveille,

I had posted earlier about continuing my Humira (weaning off currently, as Rheumatologist plan). Her PA finally called me back today with directions to continue with plan. Next dose was supposed to be yesterday. They know I've been out of country, etc., and told her my wife works in hospital. I don't have any symptoms of infection, or at least don't think so, and was told to continue unless currently sick. Just very reluctant to continue after previous readings, and seeing all the asymptomatic stuff.

Any new info in the last few days on the use of these drugs and then getting an infection? Not asking yes/no on next dose, just any new info.

Thank you again for all you are doing.

Glad you we're able to speak with them. A few of them now are actually getting used as a way to help when people when get seriously ill. Now as learn more about the way the virus is using our own immune system against us. We are experimenting with shutting it down to see if it helps.

This is why we always say that to ask your provider. Each case is different.
74Ag1
AG
Thanks Doc
yell_on_6th st
AG
Asking the docs, friend of a friend in Dallas, already went to urgent care and sent home, tested positive, mid 30's and no other health conditions:

"She's on day 12 at home still. She says it's rough."

"Yeah she's got brown stuff coming up and it takes 10 minutes to recover her breath after walking to the kitchen."

Should she be in hospital?
Badace52
AG
yell_on_6th st said:

Asking the docs, friend of a friend in Dallas, already went to urgent care and sent home, tested positive, mid 30's and no other health conditions:

"She's on day 12 at home still. She says it's rough."

"Yeah she's got brown stuff coming up and it takes 10 minutes to recover her breath after walking to the kitchen."

Should she be in hospital?

That is hard to say definitively without assessing her in person. If she is really that short of breath with minimal exertion, she is someone who should probably be evaluated in an ER.

She is pretty far into the course of the disease and most people who end up hospitalized are already admitted by day 12, but by no means does that mean she doesn't need to go get checked out.
First Page Last Page
Page 34 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.