Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,531 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
Palovic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Funny thing is that the wife and I watch Parks and Rec every night during this entire lock down to end the day on a relatively calming note.

AggieBiker
AG
Thank you doc. We will continue to encourage her to remain vigilant about safety and patient about socializing.
Reveille
AG
proudaggie02 said:

Reveille & other docs/chemists/pharmacists,

I have a couple Z-packs (500 mg x 6), as my parents live in South Texas near Mexico and often bring them to me when they visit. I don't take them but my wife takes about 1-2/year.

Would there be any benefit to taking a Z-pack, zinc, and quercetin? I've had sinus (mainly allergies) issues for 3-4 weeks, though they've been fairly mild lately.
I doubt it. Maybe if you had the disease but we are talking about just trying to keep people from getting sick enough to be hospitalized. It would be great if it completely prevented one from catching it all but i think that is wishful thinking.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
farmrag said:

I was wondering about N-Acetyl Cysteine, should I start taking this?
I have seen nothing on this to date. So don't know if it helps or not. Unfortunately, this is another use at your own risk answer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
proudaggie02
AG
Thanks Badace52 and Reveille- That's what I figured, but thought I would ask. I'm going to start on quercetin and up my vitamin C. I already take elderberry and get 15mg/day of Zinc in my multivitamin. I did read an article saying to stop elderberry if I become symptomatic.
flown-the-coop
AG
beerad12man said:

I'm not talking about shutting down construction. We all know some is essential and it has to go on in some capacity at all times. But it can most definitely be scaled back with common sense. I'm just saying most contractors will find the loophole that shows what they are doing is essential, even if it's really not. or at least can be done with a quarter of the crew and/or office staff working from home.

Residential construction is considered in most all states to be considered an essential business. This may have originally been driven by natural disaster response, but I know the largest homebuilders are very actively lobbying to ensure it remains classified as an essential business. Even if a local municipality or county said otherwise, there is likely already an exclusion on the books.

Even California has existing rules stating residential constructions and the services that support them (building inspections / permitting) are to be considered essential.

EDITED: Do not want to take away from this great thread with a side conversation. I will not post any further replies but happy to discuss in a separate thread.
AggieBiker
AG
Aggie doc Mark Casanova President is Dallas County Medical Society speaking at press conference with Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins on situation one Dallas. Former primary care doc for me until he took over ethics board at BUMC. Good man and another Aggie leader.
Rachel 98
AG
Does anyone know if hospitals are having a shortage of surgical masks? I know they aren't protective like the N95s are, but I thought they could potentially be useful to have infected patients wear. I work at a veterinary hospital and we have several unopened boxes.
BiochemAg97
AG
beerad12man said:

I'm not talking about shutting down construction. We all know some is essential and it has to go on in some capacity at all times. But it can most definitely be scaled back with common sense. I'm just saying most contractors will find the loophole that shows what they are doing is essential, even if it's really not. or at least can be done with a quarter of the crew and/or office staff working from home.

I believe we should be going to skeleton crews, but that hasn't happened yet. We are in full force as if nothing is happening over here.

For example. We are a construction material testing company for highway construction contracted out mostly by TxDOT. No doubt that some of what we are doing needs to continue, but do we really still need to be working full crews on that extra express lane? Is that really an essential right now? Making sure our truck drivers and civil servants have proper roads to travel on? Absolutely. 90+% of the projects going on? No, those could all take a break for a couple months.
About that extra express lane... Europe is talking about setting up dedicated "green" lanes for expedited shipping of medical supplies. maybe the express lane will come in handy.
Phat32
AG
They will take whatever they can get.
TAMUallen
AG
Ooo doc has a medical cross badge on TexAgs now. Fancy!

Good job texags!
Badace52
AG
Rachel 98 said:

Does anyone know if hospitals are having a shortage of surgical masks? I know they aren't protective like the N95s are, but I thought they could potentially be useful to have infected patients wear. I work at a veterinary hospital and we have several unopened boxes.

We absolutely are. Any help is good help and any mask is better than no mask or a "bandana" (I'm looking at you CDC)
Rachel 98
AG
Oh wow, I didn't think there would actually be a shortage of surgical masks. I bet we have 8 boxes we could donate. Is the best way to just call a local hospital and ask? I'm in Austin.
mts6175
AG
Two questions -

1. Is someone who's had pneumonia in the last 12 months at a higher risk for it?
2. Has the question been asked if this can be spread by insect bite?
Exsurge Domine
mts6175 said:

Two questions -

1. Is someone who's had pneumonia in the last 12 months at a higher risk for it?
2. Has the question been asked if this can be spread by insect bite?

Someone asked the insect question to Dr Manny on Fox News and he said no
GasPasser97
AG
Cross badge check...
GasPasser97
AG
Nope
OKG2000
AG
Rachel 98 said:

Oh wow, I didn't think there would actually be a shortage of surgical masks. I bet we have 8 boxes we could donate. Is the best way to just call a local hospital and ask? I'm in Austin.
A doctor friend of mine told me about this website that shows where to donate and where those that need it can request it...https://getusppe.org/
Tailgate88
AG
Rachel 98 said:

Yes! I have heard officials in various press conferences asking anyone with extra masks to do just that. Please call your local hospital and ask how you can donate them.

Edit: Check out this link.
https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3101944
Reveille
AG
Newest update!

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2649154828700791/?sfnsn=mo
Exsurge Domine
Reveille said:

Newest update!

Love hearing all that good news about the new drugs. Never thought I'd be a pharmaceutical geek!
AggieJ2002
AG
Doc, I know that Hydroxychloroquine has been used with and without the Z-pack. Wondering if you have seen what results are like without Z-Pack. Since I (and some others I'm sure) have an allergy to Erythromycin, I assume we are stuck with just the one drug. Curious as to its efficacy alone if you know.
JD Shellnut
AG
Just read your update, how much melatonin would you recommend?
DuncanField91
AG
Good initial news regarding immunity development.

Complete Idiot
https://www.sciencealert.com/a-treatment-for-covid-19-might-already-exist-in-old-drugs-we-just-need-to-unlock-the-right-combination/amp
Reveille
AG
They are still very good, surprisingly adding zithromax seemed to speed up the process by almost 2 days. Zithromax being an antibiotic you wouldn't routinely expect that to happen. But zithromax is also known to have some unique anti-inflammatory properties which is probably why it is effective..
Not a Bot
AG
Complete Idiot said:

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-treatment-for-covid-19-might-already-exist-in-old-drugs-we-just-need-to-unlock-the-right-combination/amp

Thanks for posting this article, very easy to digest. I started a thread earlier today linking the actual study for anyone interested in academic research surrounding the biochemistry. It's a heavy read but easier to understand once you slog through it. This stuff is fascinating.

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3101998/last#last

The researchers demonstrated a biochemical link to the action of chloroquine and discuss the biochemical action of azithromycin as well. Also interesting reading about all of these other compounds that could possibly inhibit viral replication or occupy the same proteins on the host cell to prevent entry.
dshedd41
S
Dr. Rev. or any other Ag docs,
My mom gave me some elderberry (the gummies kind) the other day and I just wanted to know more about the health benefits of elder berries. I know their gummies, but they're easy and I'm sure they have some benefits.
Gig’em Aggies!
Complete Idiot
Moxley said:

Complete Idiot said:

Thanks for posting this article, very easy to digest. I started a thread earlier today linking the actual study for anyone interested in academic research surrounding the biochemistry. It's a heavy read but easier to understand once you slog through it. This stuff is fascinating.

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3101998/last#last

The researchers demonstrated a biochemical link to the action of chloroquine and discuss the biochemical action of azithromycin as well. Also interesting reading about all of these other compounds that could possibly inhibit viral replication or occupy the same proteins on the host cell to prevent entry.

Thanks, I missed that. Found the link I shared elsewhere. Encouraging news welcomed.
FriscoKid
AG
Reveille said:

Newest update!

You are truly a badass for doing a really long and stressful day job and still taking time to post on Facebook and here also.
Bobcat06
AG
FriscoKid said:

Reveille said:

Newest update!

You are truly a badass for doing a really long and stressful day job and still taking time to post on Facebook and here also.
Currently, Dr Coates has a Facebook review of 4.0 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. If we wanted to show our gratitude for his service, we could help improve his feedback rating which will probably help his business.

TexAgs does know how to do online polls.
Reveille
AG
dshedd41 said:

Dr. Rev. or any other Ag docs,
My mom gave me some elderberry (the gummies kind) the other day and I just wanted to know more about the health benefits of elder berries. I know their gummies, but there easy and I'm sure they have some benefits.

I have been working on this research since lots of questions on it. I hope to have an answer in a few days.
dshedd41
S
Looking forward to it!
Gig’em Aggies!
bloom
An Elderberry warning: if you have ANY autoimmune issues (lupus, arthritis, etc) even minor please be careful with elderberry. A family member with mild autoimmune issues had a bad reaction with low dose elderberry. She reacted to it almost like an opioid. Did not want to move, brain was moving slowly. That was on day 2 of taking less than recommended dose. Her doctor said people with autoimmune issues should not take it.
Ogre09
AG
Vored!
First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.