Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,732 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
eidetic78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HotardAg07 said:

Right on,

The 45 minutes comes from the test the FDA approved today:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/politics/fda-coronavirus-test/index.html

"The US Food and Drug Administration announced it has authorized the use of the first rapid diagnostic test that could detect the novel coronavirus in approximately 45 minutes.

The authorization was made Friday and tests will begin shipping next week, according to a statement from California-based Cepheid, the company manufacturing the tests."
Ah, that's awesome. I'm glad things are happening faster than I can keep up with.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Reveille said:

Unfortunately, It ends with either a vaccine or we have to develop immunity to it by all of us recovering from it.
Wow. So, if a vaccine is several months away, a very large percentage will get it. Good thing many healthy people will get thru it just fine.

And again, Reveille, thank you and all the experts who contribute to this thread.

Y'all are such a refreshing source of logical explanation -- not sensationalism from so many gov't and "journalists."

Thank you so much.

I have a serious question Hillcountry. What did you think was the endgame of the events of the last two weeks? In other words, what did you think was going on and how did this thread change that viewpoint?

Im sorry if that sounds like a sarcastic question, but I'm being totally serious. I think there is a real lack of understanding on the part of the public as to what exactly is going on, where we are, where we hope to be in two weeks, and what the plan will be moving forward.

Depending on who you are looking to for information, maybe they won't tell you, but we have to get THERE (a vaccine) from HERE (today) as best we can. We are going to have to live with Covid-19 for a year (at least). We are unfortunately going to lose many fellow Americans before we get THERE. The only real question is how many. That's the only real debate at this point.

They failed at containment. Mitigation is our only option now.

Reveille
AG
Badace52 said:

AggieAuditor said:

40-70% is the guess? Why not just say maybe some will get it or maybe we'll all get it and the world will end?
The 40-70% has to do with how much we slow the virus down in populations and what the actual number to reach herd immunity will be based on infectivity of the virus (which is currently not known for sure, all we have is a presumed range). That is why the range is so large.
I think people here don't understand the concept of herd immunity. Herd immunity is an indirect way to protect a population from a disease. Simply put if a farmer has 100 cows and he as to vaccinate them from a potentially fatal disease, if he vaccinates 99 of them he can save his money on the last cow because there is no way it can possibly catch the disease. In the above theoretical example that would be needed in a disease that is 100% contagious. However, in the real world not everyone will be affected by the disease.

So depending on how contagious a disease is it is guessed that anywhere from 70 to 95% have to either be immunized or have recovered for herd immunity to be effective. The anti vaxxers have essentially been safe because of heard immunity. However, measles being extremely contagious has recently made a comeback as it requires 93-95% for herd immunity to be effective. This is why the range is so big. Just exactly how contagious is this disease and what percent will need before we achieve herd immunity. These questions have not been answered yet.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
eidetic78 said:

I feel like there's a distinction worth making regarding testing that will hopefully help many of you understand why so many people are being denied access:

People being tested can basically be split into two groups:

Group 1:
- Heathcare workers
- Admitted patients
- People with at-risk essential jobs that cannot avoid direct public contact

Group 2:
- People potentially exposed
- Anyone who is sick, but not life-threateningly so
- General public
- .......everyone else

Testing for people in group 1 is essential and is being prioritized over all others because the results are actionable. The test result changes how/when things that are happening are done. It's used to determine which care protocols are used. (e.g. where to keep a patient, which workers to isolate, etc... )

For everyone else in group 2, a test is purely an academic endeavor. If someone is sick (but not bad enough for hospital admission) whether they're tested changes nothing with regard to the recommended course of action, which is to isolate yourself and treat the symptoms with otc meds. The only value is the testee's (giggle) peace of mind.

Unfortunately, all the epidemiological questions, rates of this, percentage of that, cannot be answered without significant testing of the group 2 population. Those of us that are researchers know this. Much of the new testing capacity being brought online is to do exactly that kind of population screening to further our understanding of the virus.
This is absolutely true! Once we get a grip on group 1 the problem is essentially minimized as we can safely take care of group 2.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
HotardAg07 said:

Right on,

The 45 minutes comes from the test the FDA approved today:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/politics/fda-coronavirus-test/index.html

"The US Food and Drug Administration announced it has authorized the use of the first rapid diagnostic test that could detect the novel coronavirus in approximately 45 minutes.

The authorization was made Friday and tests will begin shipping next week, according to a statement from California-based Cepheid, the company manufacturing the tests."
This will help but it will all depend on how fast we manufacture them and get them to testing sites, hospitals and clinics around the country.
AggieSarah01
AG
I am wondering how risky it would be to get drive thru/curbside takeout when we can't wash hands before we eat (clean hands though, other than touching the packaging) and don't have sanitizer?
BiochemAg97
AG
eidetic78 said:

I feel like there's a distinction worth making regarding testing that will hopefully help many of you understand why so many people are being denied access:

People being tested can basically be split into two groups:

Group 1:
- Heathcare workers
- Admitted patients
- People with at-risk essential jobs that cannot avoid direct public contact

Group 2:
- People potentially exposed
- Anyone who is sick, but not life-threateningly so
- General public
- .......everyone else

Testing for people in group 1 is essential and is being prioritized over all others because the results are actionable. The test result changes how/when things that are happening are done. It's used to determine which care protocols are used. (e.g. where to keep a patient, which workers to isolate, etc... )

For everyone else in group 2, a test is purely an academic endeavor. If someone is sick (but not bad enough for hospital admission) whether they're tested changes nothing with regard to the recommended course of action, which is to isolate yourself and treat the symptoms with otc meds. The only value is the testee's (giggle) peace of mind.

Unfortunately, all the epidemiological questions, rates of this, percentage of that, cannot be answered without significant testing of the group 2 population. Those of us that are researchers know this. Much of the new testing capacity being brought online is to do exactly that kind of population screening to further our understanding of the virus.
Keep in mind, most people who get the test are negative (>90%), even when focused on Group 1.
Reveille
AG
AggieSarah01 said:

I am wondering how risky it would be to get drive thru/curbside takeout when we can't wash hands before we eat (clean hands though, other than touching the packaging) and don't have sanitizer?
I would take a small sized sanitizer or baby wipe with me. If you don't have those than wash your hands prior to leaving home.
BiochemAg97
AG
HotardAg07 said:

I would argue that the most effective way to beat down the virus before having a vaccine is when we can completely test group 2. Since we know that 80% of people who are infected were infected by someone who was asymptomatic, then our best chance is to have the ability to catch the virus BEFORE it becomes symptomatic and isolate those people.

In South Korea, where testing was so widespread, after they found an infected person, they could track down people that had a lot of contact with that person, test those people and figure out who had been infected and who didn't.

Additionally, that's one way we could begin resuming travel between countries. Test people as they come in. 45 minutes is not so long to wait to enter the country.

You can think of a million ways that fast, available testing can enable us to resume a more normal lifestyle with a more targeted approach to discovering people infected with the virus and treating them and isolating them.
The US has more than 5 times the population of SK, and we are behind on testing. We should eventually get there, but we have to prioritize at the moment.

The thing to consider on travel is the volume of air travel. Even with a 45 min test, you need enough equipment on site and enough competent people trained to operate it to handle the number of international travelers who come through the airport in an hour. A 747 has about 600 passengers. A busy airport will have multiple international flights in an hour. Last time I flew international back into Austin airport, 3 large flights landed at basically the same time, all trying to get through customs and baggage claim. Running 1800 tests in an hour takes a lot of infrastructue. Looking at Cephid's systems, their high end system can perform 80 tests at a time, and is about 8 feet long, 6 feet high, and 3 feet deep. An RT-PCR system can process 94 specimens in something smaller than a cube 1.5 ft on a side, but 4 hours in the lab.

I would bet, even with a combination of rapid and RT-PCR tests, we end up prioritizing the rapid tests based on how actionable the info is. You may still do RT-PCR tests at a drive through because they are capable of self isolating at home and save rapid tests for hospital admits because you need to know where to put them.
BiochemAg97
AG
Reveille said:

Badace52 said:

AggieAuditor said:

40-70% is the guess? Why not just say maybe some will get it or maybe we'll all get it and the world will end?
The 40-70% has to do with how much we slow the virus down in populations and what the actual number to reach herd immunity will be based on infectivity of the virus (which is currently not known for sure, all we have is a presumed range). That is why the range is so large.
I think people here don't understand the concept of herd immunity. Herd immunity is an indirect way to protect a population from a disease. Simply put if a farmer has 100 cows and he as to vaccinate them from a potentially fatal disease, if he vaccinates 99 of them he can save his money on the last cow because there is no way it can possibly catch the disease. In the above theoretical example that would be needed in a disease that is 100% contagious. However, in the real world not everyone will be affected by the disease.

So depending on how contagious a disease is it is guessed that anywhere from 70 to 95% have to either be immunized or have recovered for herd immunity to be effective. The anti vaxxers have essentially been safe because of heard immunity. However, measles being extremely contagious has recently made a comeback as it requires 93-95% for herd immunity to be effective. This is why the range is so big. Just exactly how contagious is this disease and what percent will need before we achieve herd immunity. These questions have not been answered yet.
You also don't need to completely stop the disease spread. If you can slow the spread with herd immunity, we can effectively avoid overwhelming the healthcare system.

As the population becomes immune, it becomes harder for the virus to find the next person to infect. Right now we have an R0 of a little over 2, every person infects 2 more people, and that is with everyone that person contacts being susceptible. R0 will drop as there are fewer and fewer people susceptible to infection, and somewhere close to 1, then you don't have exponential growth and you won't overwhelm the healthcare system.

Additionally, by slowing the spread, we are buying time to find an effective treatment. That may be the various drugs being tested to treat patients, or it may be development of antibody treatments, or even a vaccine, but hopefully we can find treatments that can significantly reduce the death rate and speed recovery to free up healthcare resources.
Reveille
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Reveille said:

Badace52 said:

AggieAuditor said:

You also don't need to completely stop the disease spread. If you can slow the spread with herd immunity, we can effectively avoid overwhelming the healthcare system.

As the population becomes immune, it becomes harder for the virus to find the next person to infect. Right now we have an R0 of a little over 2, every person infects 2 more people, and that is with everyone that person contacts being susceptible. R0 will drop as there are fewer and fewer people susceptible to infection, and somewhere close to 1, then you don't have exponential growth and you won't overwhelm the healthcare system.

Additionally, by slowing the spread, we are buying time to find an effective treatment. That may be the various drugs being tested to treat patients, or it may be development of antibody treatments, or even a vaccine, but hopefully we can find treatments that can significantly reduce the death rate and speed recovery to free up healthcare resources.
Excellent points! Thanks again for all your help with the questions BiochemAg97!
hillcountryag86
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

hillcountryag86 said:

Reveille said:

Unfortunately, It ends with either a vaccine or we have to develop immunity to it by all of us recovering from it.
Wow. So, if a vaccine is several months away, a very large percentage will get it. Good thing many healthy people will get thru it just fine.

And again, Reveille, thank you and all the experts who contribute to this thread.

Y'all are such a refreshing source of logical explanation -- not sensationalism from so many gov't and "journalists."

Thank you so much.

I have a serious question Hillcountry. What did you think was the endgame of the events of the last two weeks? In other words, what did you think was going on and how did this thread change that viewpoint?

Im sorry if that sounds like a sarcastic question, but I'm being totally serious. I think there is a real lack of understanding on the part of the public as to what exactly is going on, where we are, where we hope to be in two weeks, and what the plan will be moving forward.

Depending on who you are looking to for information, maybe they won't tell you, but we have to get THERE (a vaccine) from HERE (today) as best we can. We are going to have to live with Covid-19 for a year (at least). We are unfortunately going to lose many fellow Americans before we get THERE. The only real question is how many. That's the only real debate at this point.

Your condescending response is clearly received, H.E. But, maybe I deserved it.

But, I did not know what the endgame was. That's why I asked. As you pointed out, there is a lack of understanding by many, which seems to surprise you. I'm in that group.

I recently discovered not only this thread, but Dr. Coates' FB updates. And he, along with other smart people on this thread have provided great insight. Like everyone, I've watched tv, scoured the internet, and have tried to understand this thing. This thread has been the best source by far. No sensationalism. No responses with a political bent for which I have to try and filter.

And despite your sarcasm, You educated me some more with your explanation. And I sincerely thank you.

I look forward to learning more.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

H.E. Pennypacker said:

hillcountryag86 said:

Reveille said:

Thank you so much.

Your condescending response is clearly received, H.E. But, maybe I deserved it.

But, I did not know what the endgame was. That's why I asked. As you pointed out, there is a lack of understanding by many, which seems to surprise you. I'm in that group.

I recently discovered not only this thread, but Dr. Coates' FB updates. And he, along with other smart people on this thread have provided great insight. Like everyone, I've watched tv, scoured the internet, and have tried to understand this thing. This thread has been the best source by far. No sensationalism. No responses with a political bent for which I have to try and filter.

And despite your sarcasm, You educated me some more with your explanation. And I sincerely thank you.

I look forward to learning more.

It was a totally straightforward and honest question on my part. I really didn't intend any sarcasm, though I can see (and knew it when I asked it) why it would seem that way.

I'm honestly trying to get a better feel as to what the general public thinks is going on and where they think we are going. I've been interested in pandemics for a bit, and have been keeping track of Covid since news started coming out of China in January. However, I'm realizing that many (including otherwise educated people) really did think "nothing" was going on as of a week ago.

I'm just trying to ask if your opinion has changed dramatically in the last week and why? Obviously, the official government actions have totally changed in tone in the last two weeks. How (and what) do you feel about that?

I don't think they are sufficiently preparing the public to see soaring confirmed cases for the next two to three weeks. Brace yourself, everything is going to seem much much worse before we start to see improvement in a couple of weeks (hopefully).
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Question on protection.

I know ordinary face masks from Walgreen are not the ones the nurses need. However I found a box of 20 from the last time I had the flu and had to get out. I am guessing there are still 15 or so in the box.

Would these help any doctor or nurse at all? If so, how do I donate them or is it too few to be worth that.
fightingfarmer09
As a science researcher I've been fascinated by the day to day information.

Reveille, and others, do you catch yourself giving thought to the unique times these area? We are literally seeing a grand experiment play out and seeing great minds attack it from all angles.

I wonder if I'm alone watching different minds and how they approach finding solutions. The successful methods and new tools could ultimately change our approach to these situations in the future.
AgResearch
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

Question on protection.

I know ordinary face masks from Walgreen are not the ones the nurses need. However I found a box of 20 from the last time I had the flu and had to get out. I am guessing there are still 15 or so in the box.

Would these help any doctor or nurse at all? If so, how do I donate them or is it too few to be worth that.

I've not seen a facility that will take opened packages of masks.

Maybe if you know someone that could personally use them that's what I would look into.
erudite
Thanks for the (lack) of info. Just curious.

Another thing.

I am getting told there are claims in China that the original "patient" zero is not in China but of unknown origin. They are also claiming that the Italy epidemic does not have the same DNA enough that it cannot be considered identical. Any news on that? Lots of false info floating around.
Reveille
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

Question on protection.

Yes many offices are in desperate need of those. Keep a few for family incase anyone gets sick you need to have the suck person wearing it so they do not exhale virus into the air.

We are getting extremely nervous about running out of supplies! Masks are back ordered until we don't know when. It really is scary. We signed up to put our lives on the line to protect others. I just never thought we might have to do it with no personal protective gear or santizer!
Reveille
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Reveille, and others, do you catch yourself giving thought to the unique times these area? We are literally seeing a grand experiment play out and seeing great minds attack it from all angles.

I wonder if I'm alone watching different minds and how they approach finding solutions. The successful methods and new tools could ultimately change our approach to these situations in the future.

Yes I think of it all the time. How much is the world changing right before our eyes. Many people outside of the medical field really do not comprehend the magnitude of this.
Reveille
AG
AgResearch said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

Question on protection.

I've not seen a facility that will take opened packages of masks.

Maybe if you know someone that could personally use them that's what I would look into.

That was always the case until now. We are being told by medical societies and the government's to reuse them even when possible. No one seems to have an answer on when more will be available. Texas today prohibits any elective surgeries in order to save personal protective equipment.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Is there any reason hospitals aren't using P100 half masks? I'm sure its due to cost but the filters can be worn for multiple days (at least in some industrial applications).
MouthBQ98
AG
Are there different grades of N95 masks? I always have a few packs I bought at hardware stores for when I sand fiberglass or paint.
fullback44
AG
I have some of the N95 homedepot mask, maybe 1 or 2 boxes.. we use them for chemical lab. I also gave my mother a box of 10. She doesn't need all of them. I also have several boxes of really good chemical gloves.. better than the cheap ones at the store.

Where could they be sent ?

I know a lot of people on this board have those N95 homedepot mask (and prob gloves) I'm sure if we start a new thread and tag it up top with an address all kinds of people would send them to your hospital.

Just a thought ?
mrsbeer05
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

I'm an education researcher and the studies that can be done based on the massive home school/distance learning are constant running through my brain. Education is going to go through a massive shift
Reveille
AG
Today's update

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2646983792251228&id=1998386763777604?sfnsn=mo

Sorry fixed the link
MarlinChaser11
AG
How much zinc do recommend to take daily. Does the amount depend of your sick or not.
Big Al 1992
AG
Thanks again for all of the updates and work on the front lines. I'm asking to predict the future but based on what we know, where we are, and what you've seen - what would have to happen for 100,000 people to be allowed to congregate at Kyle Field on Sept 5? It's a long way off but that would be absolute best case scenario and a lot of things would have to go our way. (Hot temperatures, therapeutic options, etc)
Badace52
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Thanks again for all of the updates and work on the front lines. I'm asking to predict the future but based on what we know, where we are, and what you've seen - what would have to happen for 100,000 people to be allowed to congregate at Kyle Field on Sept 5? It's a long way off but that would be absolute best case scenario and a lot of things would have to go our way. (Hot temperatures, therapeutic options, etc)

We would need to see the new cases drop off and total case number level out and then decrease. I am less worried about September and more worried that we may see a resurgence of the virus from late October on...

Especially if we do a really good job of stopping it now or the warm weather which is rapidly approaching stops it in its tracks, because there will be less immune people when it starts to rear its head again.
Swan Song
AG
Thanks for the update on FB! I have Cold-ease zinc drops, kind of like cough drops. It it ok to give my kids (8 and 10) one every other day or so? The box doesn't say for under 12.
VaultingChemist
AG
How effective is quinine relative to chloroquine in allowing zinc into cells?
How much quinine would you need to ingest daily to be effective, if any?
Zobel
AG
...asking for a friend.

/hides four empty gin bottles
BiochemAg97
AG
erudite said:

Thanks for the (lack) of info. Just curious.

Another thing.

I am getting told there are claims in China that the original "patient" zero is not in China but of unknown origin. They are also claiming that the Italy epidemic does not have the same DNA enough that it cannot be considered identical. Any news on that? Lots of false info floating around.
The virus mutates one base pair about every 2nd transmission. Given we are about 4 months out, and 5-7 days per transmission, there has been some mutation, so it isn't "identical" but it isn't a different virus.

There was a genetic analysis done on the early Wuhan cases. Many of the early Wuhan cases were close enough (identical) that it was clear they were from a single animal to human incident. Hard to imagine that it started someone other than Wuhan.

China has been working very hard to try to deflect blame and criticism over their handling of the initial infection. The initial transmission appears to have occurred around mid Nov, China didn't tell the world until Dec 31, after tracking down a doctor who shared info about the disease with his colleagues on social media and making him retract his statements. Mid Jan, WHO tweeted that China said there was no person to person transmission. China has a big credibility issue in this one.
hillcountryag86
AG
Reveille said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

Question on protection.

Yes many offices are in desperate need of those. Keep a few for family incase anyone gets sick you need to have the suck person wearing it so they do not exhale virus into the air.

We are getting extremely nervous about running out of supplies! Masks are back ordered until we don't know when. It really is scary. We signed up to put our lives on the line to protect others. I just never thought we might have to do it with no personal protective gear or santizer!

I own a lumberyard / hardware store. A friend of mine is a nurse practitioner at our local clinic. He called me Thursday asking for every Tyvek suit and N95 mask I had. I gathered about 30 of each and got them to him.

It was very sobering and surreal to think our system can't support our medical community that they have to go to a hardware store to operate.
BiochemAg97
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Reveille said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

Question on protection.

I own a lumberyard / hardware store. A friend of mine is a nurse practitioner at our local clinic. He called me Thursday asking for every Tyvek suit and N95 mask I had. I gathered about 30 of each and got them to him.

It was very sobering and surreal to think our system can't support our medical community that they have to go to a hardware store to operate.
Just like the food and the TP, our system isn't set up for mass hoarding. Plus we depend too much of stuff made in China.

Europe had a big issue a week or so ago (maybe more recently, hard to keep track with how fast the info is coming) where countries were prohibiting export of med PPE. Germany wasn't letting any out until they knew they had enough, but Italy and other EU countries were desperate for more.
HeadCiv78
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Reveille said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

Question on protection.

And that isn't even considering all the other professions that will be required to get us through this.... I.e. police officers, fire fighters and EMS, etc. Not to mention power plant and other utility operators that make our lives livable. And I can tell you from personal experience, they are all having hell getting the necessary PPE supplies to perform their duties and keep themselves safe from this disease so we can continue to live our lives.
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.