Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,476 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reveille said:

Today's update

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2646045772345030/?sfnsn=mo

Doc,

You talked about the value of an antibody test in your update today.

One other factor to consider...
early vaccine availability will likely be limited as supplies build. Depending on how quickly those supplies can be built up, we might want to prioritize who gets it. If we combine the immunity test data as part of the vaccine criteria, we can stretch the initial vaccine supply further.
Reveille
AG
Jackal99 said:

AggieDawg12 said:

What's the story with takeout and/or delivery of food? We're under full shut down. However, still want to try and help some businesses any way we can. Ordering takeout or delivery is a way to do that and have some family fun. If someone is sick making or delivering food can they transfer the virus through food contamination?

I'm not a doctor, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I did just read this article about this issue.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html
This was actually pretty reasonable article and thanks for sharing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
erudite said:

Any chance that dihydroartemisinin/quinine might also have anti-viral activity??

I know this sounds like a bit strange. But I do remember my grandparents utilizing quinine
in its herbal (grass form) as a makeshift flu medication in 2010 for a family member with the flu. I asked them recently and to their recollection was surprisingly effective (Almost mediate reduction of fever permanently within 5 hours). Unfortunately my grandparrents do not remember if it was quinine or dihydroartemisinin (Or both mixed in).

I'm sorry I cannot give more info. My grandparrents are that crossover first/second generation medical staff in China (post 1949) and without much formal education and tools; they had to learn by experience and guesstimating via statistics..

I am sure that we have much more capable brains than me in the medical field so I wondered if you had toyed with the idea.

I will say, having tasted quinine in its grass for it IS BITTER AS ALL HELL
I an unaware of any information on this currently.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
TexjbA&M said:

Quote:

Thank you Dr. To be more clear on my question though, what is the seperation from requiring additional care to being sent to the ICU. I understand were learning everyday about this but I thought persons under 60 or so were in the category of being able to ride it out without hospitalization but this report seems to contradict that.
Correct me if I read it wrong, but I read it as saying the age group from 20 - 44 makes up 20% OF hospitalizations, not 20% in that age range are hospitalized. Also, that's a 24 year age range whereas the others are 10-year age ranges. I think the report does confirm the older you are to more at risk you are.
Yes you are correct it does confirm the older are more at risk but it also shows that the younger crowd is at a more significant risk than initially thought. They are a making a high percent of hospitalized patients so they need to be careful too. Not just think he I am 23 and I am invincible to this virus. The good news is while the make up 20% of hospitalizations. They rarely die and still make up an extremely small percent of the fatalities.
hillcountryag86
AG
How will this virus "end?" How does the threat go away?

I understand containment keeps, or slows, it's spread. But even those who have it and then get over it, can't they get it again? Or does our immune system eventually fight it and in time, the virus just goes away?
agsalaska
AG
Hey Doc. Thanks a lot for the thread.

Does anyone in the medical community have a real grasp on the ACTUAL infection rate? We know that they are not testing the VAST majority of probable cases. Is there some kind of multiplier they are using yet or is it too early to even worry about that since most people do not require hospitalization?

Thanks
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Badace52
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

How will this virus "end?" How does the threat go away?

I understand containment keeps, or slows, it's spread. But even those who have it and then get over it, can't they get it again? Or does our immune system eventually fight it and in time, the virus just goes away?

So far, it would appear that once your body has cleared the infection, the vast majority of people will not get re-infected.

Once approximately 60% of people have cleared this virus, we will have "herd immunity" and the virus will no longer be able to spread through the population.

However the larger the percentage of the population that clears the virus before other people can catch it, the slower the virus will propagate through the population. And that is a large part of why we are quarantining. Probably the biggest reason to quarantine right now, actually.
Badace52
AG
agsalaska said:

Does anyone in the medical community have a real grasp on the ACTUAL infection rate? We know that they are not testing the VAST majority of probable cases. Is there some kind of multiplier they are using yet or is it too early to even worry about that since most people do not require hospitalization?

Thanks

Data is being collected every day that is narrowing down how fast this is spreading, but we need more tests. We can't test everyone who is concerned right now. In fact, we can't even test everyone we (as physicians) are concerned may have the virus at this time due to lack of testing.

Until we can test everyone who has a legitimate chance of being infected that needs/wants a test, we will not be able to accurately portray the true infection rate.
Reveille
AG
fullback44 said:

Sorry not sure how that imoj got there

Doc, I have a question regarding taking vitamins. I started taking them in fairly high doses about 3 weeks ago. Vit D 10,000 -15000 + plus units a day, 1000 % daily Vit C also, 1 selenium and 1 zinc a day. Anyway, I'm having issues w the pollen and my lower back (kidneys I believe) have been really starting to bother me. I increased my water intake and it has helped, but I can still feel some pain. I get some fever w my allergies also (who knows maybe Covid)

Can you give a guideline as to what's a safe but healthy limit on taking some of these vitamins so that I don't cause other bodily harm? Should I be taking a lower quantity?
This is one is rather complicated I am looking for some good information for you. I think all of the above are a good idea.

But essentially Zinc in the lab if it is intracellular it can potentially slow down or inhibit the the replication the virus by blocking the enzyme replicase which sounds awesome. Everyone should take take zinc then. NO SO FAST!! Zinc is charged ion +1 which keeps it outside the cell. In order to get inside the cell you have to have an ionophore which essentially opens a gate allowing the Zinc to get into the cell. There are studies showing that chloroquine opens these gates allowing Zinc to now get inside the cell. So I think taking Zinc is likely a good idea. I take it for my prostate I just don't know a good ionophore to allow the Zinc to get into the cell. If you get ill and are given hydroxycholoroquine it would be good to have zinc around to be get into the cells when the gates are opened.

Keep in mind these are all in laboratory studies and trials are ongoing. Zinc has been shown to potentially help in some cancers. I take it for my prostate so I don't see any harm in it.

Maybe a microbiologist or virologist could give us more information on this.
AtlAg75
AG
Posting this as another data point and know there isn't a direct answer. My sister in law (age 72 and with underlying health issues - rectal cancer few years ago, lymph node issues, colostomy) went into the hospital this past Monday night in Phoenix with symptoms of pneumonia and O2 levels dropping into the 70's while she was waiting in ER). Hospital did not want to admit her but eventually did.

Tests that night came back negative for viral pneumonia and so they assumed Covid 19 and tested her for that. This was on Tuesday. The kick in the ass is that they told her that day that it would take 3 - 4 weeks to get test results and that they would not reach out to contacts or places she had been until they received the results. What would it matter in a month where she had been? This can't be standard and she had the distinct impression that AZ was trying to minimize the data related to Covid 19.

She was released from the hospital yesterday with O2 still dropping into the 70's at night. Said they needed the bed for someone worse.

Just curious if any of the Dr's here have heard of test results taking this long and if so, why that would still be the case.
Reveille
AG
reload85 said:

The article below is an statistical look at the positive folks on the cruise ship. It is a neat data set because I think everyone was tested .
The most interesting tidbit here is the level of asymptotic cases were higher in the middle older age groups. Preexisting immunity to other Coronaviruses or waining immunomonitor production (cytokines)? Thoughts?
Take care!
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.05.20031773v2.full.pdf

Thank you for sharing and it is very interesting article for sure. The scary thing of this article is they actually found more asymptomatic patients than patients with the disease. So as we have always expected the numbers are so much higher than we see because we are only testing the ones who are very ill.
Reveille
AG
AtlAg75 said:

Posting this as another data point and know there isn't a direct answer. My sister in law (age 72 and with underlying health issues - rectal cancer few years ago, lymph node issues, colostomy) went into the hospital this past Monday night in Phoenix with symptoms of pneumonia and O2 levels dropping into the 70's while she was waiting in ER). Hospital did not want to admit her but eventually did.

Tests that night came back negative for viral pneumonia and so they assumed Covid 19 and tested her for that. This was on Tuesday. The kick in the ass is that they told her that day that it would take 3 - 4 weeks to get test results and that they would not reach out to contacts or places she had been until they received the results. What would it matter in a month where she had been? This can't be standard and she had the distinct impression that AZ was trying to minimize the data related to Covid 19.

She was released from the hospital yesterday with O2 still dropping into the 70's at night. Said they needed the bed for someone worse.

Just curious if any of the Dr's here have heard of test results taking this long and if so, why that would still be the case.
No we usually get results in 3-4 days but not weeks. New tests are being run now with a day turn around. So this should not be much of a problem in the future.
eidetic78
AG
AtlAg75 said:

Ultimately it depends on where that specific hospital is having their tests run. If they're relying on their own internal lab or something, then their backlog could be that long I guess, but that doesn't sound right.

Most places are using their internal or local labs to capacity, then shipping off other samples to the large clinical testing companies.

My understanding is that most people are being told 3/4 days, but actually getting results in more like 5/6 days, for those that are getting results at all.

We're currently only processing samples from healthcare workers while we add capacity, and those are being turned around in 1 day. And unfortunately our biggest hurdle to scaling up is waiting for necessary reagents to be delivered. For the smaller local testing labs like mine, we're considered "4th tier" in priority for receiving reagents. Government, CDC, hospital systems, large testing corporations are all above the smaller local labs.

Every other small testing lab I know of is experiencing the same thing. Most of the item back-order dates I'm being given are about 3 weeks from now, but it keeps changing.

agsalaska
AG
Badace52 said:

agsalaska said:

Thanks

Data is being collected every day that is narrowing down how fast this is spreading, but we need more tests. We can't test everyone who is concerned right now. In fact, we can't even test everyone we (as physicians) are concerned may have the virus at this time due to lack of testing.

Until we can test everyone who has a legitimate chance of being infected that needs/wants a test, we will not be able to accurately portray the true infection rate.

Thanks for the response. My dad is on Day 3. He is doctor is as certain as he can be. 5 days before he came in direct contact with people who later tested positive, one of whom as of this morning is deceased.

Yet my dad cannot get a test.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Reveille
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Reveille said:

Today's update

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2646045772345030/?sfnsn=mo

Doc,

You talked about the value of an antibody test in your update today.

One other factor to consider...
early vaccine availability will likely be limited as supplies build. Depending on how quickly those supplies can be built up, we might want to prioritize who gets it. If we combine the immunity test data as part of the vaccine criteria, we can stretch the initial vaccine supply further.
Yes I agree the vaccine becoming available early is huge. It will be critical to start protecting healthcare workers. Knowing who is immune or we have given immunity to will change the way we are functioning.
BiochemAg97
AG
agsalaska said:

Thanks
There are some ways to guess..

The everyone on the first cruise ship was tested so we do know an infection rate of that population and how many developed symptoms, etc.

You can also do some statistical modeling based on age groups and diagnosed age distribution. There isn't a reason that young people would be exposed/infected less frequently, but since they develop fewer symptoms, they will make up a smaller % of the tested population when the tests are based on symptoms. You can then make some assumptions.

These methods show somewhere between 50% and 90% develop no symptoms, probably closer to 50% than 90% though.

Keep in mind, we are probably still behind in testing in the US, so even doubling the number of confirmed cases is guessing low.
BiochemAg97
AG
Reveille said:

fullback44 said:

Sorry not sure how that imoj got there

Doc, I have a question regarding taking vitamins. I started taking them in fairly high doses about 3 weeks ago. Vit D 10,000 -15000 + plus units a day, 1000 % daily Vit C also, 1 selenium and 1 zinc a day. Anyway, I'm having issues w the pollen and my lower back (kidneys I believe) have been really starting to bother me. I increased my water intake and it has helped, but I can still feel some pain. I get some fever w my allergies also (who knows maybe Covid)

Can you give a guideline as to what's a safe but healthy limit on taking some of these vitamins so that I don't cause other bodily harm? Should I be taking a lower quantity?
This is one is rather complicated I am looking for some good information for you. I think all of the above are a good idea.

But essentially Zinc in the lab if it is intracellular it can potentially slow down or inhibit the the replication the virus by blocking the enzyme replicase which sounds awesome. Everyone should take take zinc then. NO SO FAST!! Zinc is charged ion +1 which keeps it outside the cell. In order to get inside the cell you have to have an ionophore which essentially opens a gate allowing the Zinc to get into the cell. There are studies showing that chloroquine opens these gates allowing Zinc to now get inside the cell. So I think taking Zinc is likely a good idea. I take it for my prostate I just don't know a good ionophore to allow the Zinc to get into the cell. If you get ill and are given hydroxycholoroquine it would be good to have zinc around to be get into the cells when the gates are opened.

Keep in mind these are all in laboratory studies and trials are ongoing. Zinc has been shown to potentially help in some cancers. I take it for my prostate so I don't see any harm in it.

Maybe a microbiologist or virologist could give us more information on this.
Some zinc will get inside the cell. increasing zinc outside the cell will lead to an increase of zinc inside the cell, so taking zinc is fine and will increase intracellular zinc conc, but maybe not enough to completely shut down the virus. An ionophore makes it easier and increase the intracellular concentration even more.

Btw, it is Zn2+ that has been shown to be effective, which is what OTC Zn supplements contain.
FrecklesDad
AG
Doc,

Please explain this to me. We have had several diseases in the past which had a higher death rate, high infection rate and as long or longer incubation time. There has never been a response like this before. Why? Is it because this is a novel virus? The ones I think of are Polio, Small Pox and somewhat Tuberculosis. Just asking.

skippythemagnificent
AG
Have we talked about how people greet each other? It seems like Europian folks like to kiss each other on the cheek versus Asian folks tend to bow from a distance. Could these types of behavior explain some of the variances we see among the populations?
Badace52
AG
FrecklesDad said:

Doc,

Please explain this to me. We have had several diseases in the past which had a higher death rate, high infection rate and as long or longer incubation time. There has never been a response like this before. Why? Is it because this is a novel virus? The ones I think of are Polio, Small Pox and somewhat Tuberculosis. Just asking.

So in part it is because this is a new virus. No one anywhere had any immunity to this virus before a few months ago. This is the first time since we have become a global economy and such frequent global traveling we have had a new disease like this occur.

I cannot say this enough. We are NOT doing this to stop this virus from spreading. It will likely eventually infect somewhere between 40 and 70% of the population. We are doing this to slow the spread of the virus so all the really sick people don't end up in the hospital at the same time where we will not have enough ventilators and medicine to treat them. We will then end up making mass casualty triage decisions where doctors decide who is worth trying to save and who is too far gone to get the possible benefit of a ventilator.

Most people will end up having minor symptoms from this but some will get very sick. We are trying to keep everyone from getting sick all at once.

Edit: Also, Tuberculosis is a bacteria and the developed world can treat it with antibiotics (it is really hard to kill and takes a while to get rid of but it can be treated). There are very effective vaccines for Polio and it is rare to see an outbreak of it now due to herd immunity in a lot of populations. Smallpox is all but extinct because vaccines got rid of it. Before vaccines, smallpox murdered entire populations and races of people. It was awful. If something like smallpox happened now, ( a new virus that was similar to smallpox in infectivity and mortality, not actual smallpox cuz we still have the vaccine,) it would be bad... real bad.
hillcountryag86
AG
Sobering.
fullback44
AG
Thanks Doc... I will stay with taking the vitamins and zinc
agsalaska
AG
Interesting. And I agree. It has to be double or almost certainty many more.

FrecklesDad
AG
I know this is going to lessen the blow from the virus in the short term, but in the long term aren't more people going to die due to their economic circumstances caused by what we are doing to flatten the curve?
Proposition Joe
FrecklesDad said:

I know this is going to lessen the blow from the virus in the short term, but in the long term aren't more people going to die due to their economic circumstances caused by what we are doing to flatten the curve?

Maybe, maybe not.

But trying to assist a lot of people in dire economic need over a span of time I think is a more manageable decision than trying to assist a lot of people starving for air on a hospital bed at once.
AggieAuditor
AG
As we all should, and will. That doesn't mean you have to be afraid to think and challenge ideas through all this. Some will be right, some will be wrong, including doctors.

40-70% infection for the US is a range of 130m to 225m people. That is worth questioning.
Old RV Ag
AG
AggieAuditor said:

As we all should, and will. That doesn't mean you have to be afraid to think and challenge ideas through all this. Some will be right, some will be wrong, including doctors.

40-70% infection for the US is a range of 130m to 225m people. That is worth questioning.
Wait till this is all over - then you can do the auditing.
Reveille
AG
Unfortunately, It ends with either a vaccine or we have to develop immunity to it by all of us recovering from it.
AggieAuditor
AG
Old RV Ag said:

AggieAuditor said:

Wait till this is all over - then you can do the auditing.

Ya got me. I'll hang up and listen for the next 2 to 48 months and then I'll "audit" what happened.

Congrats on the stars!
hillcountryag86
AG
Reveille said:

Unfortunately, It ends with either a vaccine or we have to develop immunity to it by all of us recovering from it.
Wow. So, if a vaccine is several months away, a very large percentage will get it. Good thing many healthy people will get thru it just fine.

And again, Reveille, thank you and all the experts who contribute to this thread.

Y'all are such a refreshing source of logical explanation -- not sensationalism from so many gov't and "journalists."

Thank you so much.
Reveille
AG
Badace52 said:

FrecklesDad said:

Doc,

So in part it is because this is a new virus. No one anywhere had any immunity to this virus before a few months ago. This is the first time since we have become a global economy and such frequent global traveling we have had a new disease like this occur.

I cannot say this enough. We are NOT doing this to stop this virus from spreading. It will likely eventually infect somewhere between 40 and 70% of the population. We are doing this to slow the spread of the virus so all the really sick people don't end up in the hospital at the same time where we will not have enough ventilators and medicine to treat them. We will then end up making mass casualty triage decisions where doctors decide who is worth trying to save and who is too far gone to get the possible benefit of a ventilator.

Most people will end up having minor symptoms from this but some will get very sick. We are trying to keep everyone from getting sick all at once.

Edit: Also, Tuberculosis is a bacteria and the developed world can treat it with antibiotics (it is really hard to kill and takes a while to get rid of but it can be treated). There are very effective vaccines for Polio and it is rare to see an outbreak of it now due to herd immunity in a lot of populations. Smallpox is all but extinct because vaccines got rid of it. Before vaccines, smallpox murdered entire populations and races of people. It was awful. If something like smallpox happened now, ( a new virus that was similar to smallpox in infectivity and mortality, not actual smallpox cuz we still have the vaccine,) it would be bad... real bad.
This is absolutely correct. We can not stop this vaccine but we can slow it down to the point that the fatality rate is very low. We must keep it contained the point that the hospitals can handle load of people coming in. Italy did not do this and now they have tremendously high numbers dying from it.
eidetic78
AG
I feel like there's a distinction worth making regarding testing that will hopefully help many of you understand why so many people are being denied access:

People being tested can basically be split into two groups:

Group 1:
- Heathcare workers
- Admitted patients
- People with at-risk essential jobs that cannot avoid direct public contact

Group 2:
- People potentially exposed
- Anyone who is sick, but not life-threateningly so
- General public
- .......everyone else

Testing for people in group 1 is essential and is being prioritized over all others because the results are actionable. The test result changes how/when things that are happening are done. It's used to determine which care protocols are used. (e.g. where to keep a patient, which workers to isolate, etc... )

For everyone else in group 2, a test is purely an academic endeavor. If someone is sick (but not bad enough for hospital admission) whether they're tested changes nothing with regard to the recommended course of action, which is to isolate yourself and treat the symptoms with otc meds. The only value is the testee's (giggle) peace of mind.

Unfortunately, all the epidemiological questions, rates of this, percentage of that, cannot be answered without significant testing of the group 2 population. Those of us that are researchers know this. Much of the new testing capacity being brought online is to do exactly that kind of population screening to further our understanding of the virus.
HotardAg07
AG
I would argue that the most effective way to beat down the virus before having a vaccine is when we can completely test group 2. Since we know that 80% of people who are infected were infected by someone who was asymptomatic, then our best chance is to have the ability to catch the virus BEFORE it becomes symptomatic and isolate those people.

In South Korea, where testing was so widespread, after they found an infected person, they could track down people that had a lot of contact with that person, test those people and figure out who had been infected and who didn't.

Additionally, that's one way we could begin resuming travel between countries. Test people as they come in. 45 minutes is not so long to wait to enter the country.

You can think of a million ways that fast, available testing can enable us to resume a more normal lifestyle with a more targeted approach to discovering people infected with the virus and treating them and isolating them.
eidetic78
AG
HotardAg07 said:

I would argue that the most effective way to beat down the virus before having a vaccine is when we can completely test group 2. Since we know that 80% of people who are infected were infected by someone who was asymptomatic, then our best chance is to have the ability to catch the virus BEFORE it becomes symptomatic and isolate those people.

In South Korea, where testing was so widespread, after they found an infected person, they could track down people that had a lot of contact with that person, test those people and figure out who had been infected and who didn't.

Additionally, that's one way we could begin resuming travel between countries. Test people as they come in. 45 minutes is not so long to wait to enter the country.

You can think of a million ways that fast, available testing can enable us to resume a more normal lifestyle with a more targeted approach to discovering people infected with the virus and treating them and isolating them.
You're completely correct. Unfortunately, we weren't prepared to perform the necessary test in any facet at that scale, and we still aren't.

My point was that we're currently having to choose whom to test, and the choice is to test those upon which a result matters at the point of care.

Edit:
I'm not sure where that 45 minute number came from. We don't have any kind of rapid test for this virus available. The existing test is RT-qPCR based, which is high complexity and under normal circumstances takes a couple of days from the point of sampling to the return of a report. Currently it's longer than that.
HotardAg07
AG
Right on,

The 45 minutes comes from the test the FDA approved today:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/politics/fda-coronavirus-test/index.html

"The US Food and Drug Administration announced it has authorized the use of the first rapid diagnostic test that could detect the novel coronavirus in approximately 45 minutes.

The authorization was made Friday and tests will begin shipping next week, according to a statement from California-based Cepheid, the company manufacturing the tests."
First Page Last Page
Page 25 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.