Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,559 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
Tx-Ag2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got fitted for a new set of clubs this afternoon. My Chinese virus goal is to learn to actually golf.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
aggiemike said:

All the golf courses are open. What do you think of getting exercise there? If you are staying well away from everyone?

Just checked and looks like Callaway Golf went up 35% today. Guess I wasn't the only one thinking about taking up golf.
Reveille
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Just got prescribed Breo Ellipta for asthma maintenance. This may have already been covered, but this level of inhaled steroid is ok to be taking at the moment? I read it "can" lower immune system. I'd imagine leaving the asthma untreated is worse?
You are correct. Leaving asthma untreated should be considered a greater risk factor then inhaled steroids. Keep in mind the reason we use inhaled steroids is because they are much less systematically absorbed. So the risk with inhaled steroids should be minimal.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
austinAG90 said:

You called. My RA is very mild, and I quit taking HCL end of last summer. I then got sick in NOV, neg for flu, but all symptoms of Corona and lasted 3 weeks. Worst I've ever felt. So after seeing all the talk last night regarding HCL I called Walgreens this am by me. They had 30 left and she told me they were not going to be getting anymore for awhile.

Is there another medication ?
Keep checking according to the information released today production should be ramped up soon. Right now if it adequately helps your RA then I would consider it the safest thing toi be on.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
texrover91 said:

Our kids are on a regular cycle of symbicort and proair along with breathing treatments as needed for asthma / chronic respiratory infections

Assume stay on normal regimen? Any concern about steroids?

See above
Reveille
AG
Skillet Shot said:

Doc, thanks for all the responses. Very helpful.

Can you clarify the percentage of patients and actual risk of permanent lung damage? I'm reading a lot of misleading reports.
Oh tough question. Per some of the data in China, most people have none. However, of the patients severe enough to require hospitalization about 20% had a 20-30% reduction in their forced vital capacity.
Reveille
AG
eidetic78 said:

McCoveysCove said:

How is this virus trending this afternoon in the USA and in Texas? is it stabilizing or expanding? Im sorry I am working and have not been up to date since 1pm

Something to keep in mind when looking at the virus numbers:

1. This virus has a relatively long incubation period.
2. The test turnaround right now is 5/6 days

Those together mean there is a significant lag between today's numbers and what they actually represent

Todays "new" cases are last week's tests, and last week's tests are the previous week's exposures.
This x 100
Reveille
AG
CDub06 said:

Question for anyone that wants to respond:
I know someone immune suppressed that is having several symptoms. Their PCP group wouldn't have them come in even for a flu test because of the symptoms. So she did a virtual visit with urgent care who says they'll do a flu test and if negative, a panel that includes COVID-19 screening.

https://www.nextlevelurgentcare.com/coronavirus-updates

I can't find much about the lab, VikorScientific. Much of what I do find is self published. And this line of local Urgent Care facilities (Next Level) is the only provider I can find that publicly mentions them. They have a CLIA # in South Carolina.

Is there any reason to be suspicious of this lab or their COVID etc screening?
https://www.nextlevelurgentcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/VIKOR-SCIENTIFIC-Respira-ID-pdf-2.pdf

No it should be fine they are a smaller lab but they just this week added the COVID-19 to their panel.. They have tested four the original coronavirus for some time so i would not expect it to be a problem.

Because it is a smaller lab might be more expensive but most nsurance companies are waiving out of network expenses right now.
Reveille
AG
aggiemike said:

All the golf courses are open. What do you think of getting exercise there? If you are staying well away from everyone?
I actually think golf is one of the few things we cam be doing. Just stay more than 6 feet away from each other, Don't share a cart, walk the course and I would not see much risk at all.
Badace52
AG
I went fly fishing today... Just staying a rods length away.
Reveille
AG
Badace52 said:

I went fly fishing today... Just staying a rods length away.

Nice another relative safe thing to do.
BiochemAg97
AG
McCoveysCove said:

How is this virus trending this afternoon in the USA and in Texas? is it stabilizing or expanding? Im sorry I am working and have not been up to date since 1pm

We will likely see the number of cases expand significantly over the next week, due to increased testing. Alternatively, if you look at hospitalizations/deaths, those lag significantly.

If people follow the guidelines actual new infections should be leveling off/decreasing, but that won't show up in the numbers for a while. Also, someone exposed just before the 10 person restrictions (Monday? It is hard to keep up at this point) may still not have symptoms for a few more days.
Double Twin Marine
AG
I've been following this thread religiously but don't remember seeing anything about the safety of packages delivered. My wife orders everything from Amazon but is terrified that the virus can be on the boxes so we are stashing them in the garage for 3 days prior to bringing them into the house. Is this an overreaction or should we stage longer?

As you mentioned earlier with UV being a good source to sterilize playground equipment, is there enough of the UV rays getting into the garage to even do anything?

Thanks again to all the medical professionals responding to this thread.
BiochemAg97
AG
Reveille said:

Skillet Shot said:

Doc, thanks for all the responses. Very helpful.

Can you clarify the percentage of patients and actual risk of permanent lung damage? I'm reading a lot of misleading reports.
Oh tough question. Per some of the data in China, most people have none. However, of the patients severe enough to require hospitalization about 20% had a 20-30% reduction in their forced vital capacity.
Keep in mind, Chinese are heavy smokers, and the air quality there sucks. That might contribute to a higher rate of lung problems.
Reveille
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

McCoveysCove said:

We will likely see the number of cases expand significantly over the next week, due to increased testing. Alternatively, if you look at hospitalizations/deaths, those lag significantly.

If people follow the guidelines actual new infections should be leveling off/decreasing, but that won't show up in the numbers for a while. Also, someone exposed just before the 10 person restrictions (Monday? It is hard to keep up at this point) may still not have symptoms for a few more days.
Exactly correct. People should stay calm and so not panic with the number of reported cases we all know that they will increase significantly over the next week. Contrary to what you will likely hear in the media it is does not mean we will be like Italy. It is the fatality rate that you want to follow. It should continue to decrease significantly as it has over the past two weeks.
BiochemAg97
AG
Reveille said:

CDub06 said:

Question for anyone that wants to respond:
I know someone immune suppressed that is having several symptoms. Their PCP group wouldn't have them come in even for a flu test because of the symptoms. So she did a virtual visit with urgent care who says they'll do a flu test and if negative, a panel that includes COVID-19 screening.

https://www.nextlevelurgentcare.com/coronavirus-updates

I can't find much about the lab, VikorScientific. Much of what I do find is self published. And this line of local Urgent Care facilities (Next Level) is the only provider I can find that publicly mentions them. They have a CLIA # in South Carolina.

Is there any reason to be suspicious of this lab or their COVID etc screening?
https://www.nextlevelurgentcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/VIKOR-SCIENTIFIC-Respira-ID-pdf-2.pdf

No it should be fine they are a smaller lab but they just this week added the COVID-19 to their panel.. They have tested four the original coronavirus for some time so i would not expect it to be a problem.

Because it is a smaller lab might be more expensive but most nsurance companies are waiving out of network expenses right now.
Most of the private labs created a consortium to share data on test development. This was made public about 2 weeks ago when labcorp and quest were given the go ahead to certify their private tests. Looks like they lagged behind the big guys in validating their tests, which isn't a surprise.
Complete Idiot
Couple questions:

1) any confirmed Texags patients yet? Ready to pull together when needed.

2) sorry if asked before - but what does it take to be labeled "recovered"? Swab is virus free? Virus free plus time? I've been looking at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ over time and the percentage of cases getting "resolved" by the patient passing away has been rising every couple dats - but that is when compared to those resolved by a patient being marked as recovered. Are they various nations not diligently reporting recoveries or does it just take a long time to be labeled officially recovered?
88planoAg
AG
AW Aggie said:

I've been following this thread religiously but don't remember seeing anything about the safety of packages delivered. My wife orders everything from Amazon but is terrified that the virus can be on the boxes so we are stashing them in the garage for 3 days prior to bringing them into the house. Is this an overreaction or should we stage longer?

As you mentioned earlier with UV being a good source to sterilize playground equipment, is there enough of the UV rays getting into the garage to even do anything?

Why not just use gloves, open the boxes and get the stuff out while outside/in garage?
Badace52
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Couple questions:

1) any confirmed Texags patients yet? Ready to pull together when needed.

2) sorry if asked before - but what does it take to be labeled "recovered"? Swab is virus free? Virus free plus time? I've been looking at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ over time and the percentage of cases getting "resolved" by the patient passing away has been rising every couple dats - but that is when compared to those resolved by a patient being marked as recovered. Are they various nations not diligently reporting recoveries or does it just take a long time to be labeled officially recovered?

I have seen a Covid-19 confirmed patient personally in the ER, but have no symptoms myself as of yet.
Bruce Almighty
AG
My wife has seen them as well.
Double Twin Marine
AG
88planoAg said:

AW Aggie said:

Why not just use gloves, open the boxes and get the stuff out while outside/in garage?

Fair point, but the merchandise inside worries her as well. I think it's overkill but not going to fight it if that's what she wants to do. More so concerned if the virus could survive this long without direct sunlight.
InternetFan02
AG
AW Aggie said:

I have high risk in-laws in the house as our primary caregivers of the 3 kids while my wife and I are still working in healthcare. Everything arrives via delivery left on porch

Delivery Boxes
-open boxes with gloves on the porch
-set aside the products on the porch, then use lysol or wipes to clean the products

Humans
-when returning from hospital job sites strip down in garage and put on robe
-spray clothes, bags with lyusol, clean shoes/phone/keys/wallet with wipes
-place everything in laundry bin
-immediately wash clothes/robe and shower
Tx-Ag2010
AG
AW Aggie said:

88planoAg said:

AW Aggie said:

Fair point, but the merchandise inside worries her as well. I think it's overkill but not going to fight it if that's what she wants to do. More so concerned if the virus could survive this long without direct sunlight.
Supposedly it doesn't last as long on cardboard or clothes. I've just been washing my hands after I open the boxes. Unless you live in an area serviced by Amazons same day delivery the items inside are probably fine.
CapCityAg89
AG
Sunlight (UV) kills the virus. Just leave the box outside for a couple hours.
CapCityAg89
AG
Also note: warehouses where the pickers have to open boxes almost all have gloves as PPE (regardless of COVID). A cardboard cut is no joke.
Reveille
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Sunlight (UV) kills the virus. Just leave the box outside for a couple hours.

This is correct so I agree if you are truly nervous put the package out in the sun and it should kill the virus. UV light is one of the best santizer we have.
Reveille
AG
Most recent update.

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2645116129104661/

jim 78
AG
AW Aggie said:

88planoAg said:

AW Aggie said:

I did notice that my mail person was using nitrile gloves while handling the mail stuffing it into my rural box.
AggieJ2002
AG
Thanks for all the info from the docs here! Amazing!

Questions:
Both my 12 YO daughter and I have asthma but also have auto-immune diseases (Alopecia totalis for her and Vitiligo and another unknown AI disease that causes Urticaria and Angioedema, but has been easily treated with Singulair for me)

Neither of us are or have been on any prednisone lately (she had a short taper for the first time in years in January). Do you believe that having an Auto Immune disease makes you higher risk or would that only be a risk if you were treating the disease with oral steroids? Should the January taper for her have any effect now? (She had grown some hair back for a bit but it has all fallen out since so I think that means the steroids are no longer effecting the immune system?)

Thanks again doc!
texrover91
AG
Thanks Doc! Appreciate your hard work
GaryClare
AG
northlaAg
I had a peritonsillar abscess drained yesterday and now have been prescribed an Antibiotic and the steroid Methyl-prednisolone to treat the rest of the infection. Should I be concerned about Methyl-prednisolone potentially weakening my immune system to an extent that would put me at risk if I were to contract COVID - 19? I otherwise have no immune system issues.

Thanks for answering the questions Doc and others who have been answering!
Wearer of the Ring
AG
If sunlight kills the virus how come we all aren't running around outdoors naked?
PPlayboy87
AG
Wearer of the Ring said:

If sunlight kills the virus how come we all aren't running around outdoors naked?
Because it's cold and rainy?
AggieAuditor
AG
Wearer of the Ring said:

Wait...y'all aren't?
First Page Last Page
Page 23 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.