Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,630 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
HKAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, I'm screwed.
00AGof3
AG
6-8 beers nightly isnt much if it budlight, right?
Shadow of CuervoAg
Two part question......

I have not read through the entire thread, so forgive any redundancy - is there any indicators that immunity is achieved post-viral infection for people who have recovered?

Also, I seem to recall when the Ebola virus made it to the U.S. a couple of years ago and started to infect medical providers a solution was provided using a treatment regimen derived from antibodies from those who had survived and recovered. I'm curious if that could be a treatment option and, if so, is there any news on fielding such a treatment in expedited trials?
Do not post opposing views or you too, like me, will become a shadow of your former self.
Reveille
AG
Most current update

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2643368755946065/?sfnsn=mo

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
1. Yes people seem to develop immunity post infection. Time will tell him long it lasts etc

2. We are working on treatments. There is some hope that plasma transfusions from recovered individuals may help but to early to tell.

Also hydroxychlorquinone may have some effect on the virus. Discussed mechanism previously somewhere.

Lastly some HIV antivirals may help. The world is working together to find a regimen that will be effective.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Caleb12
What's the absolute reasonable best case scenario?

People do a good job social distancing, the virus seriously dies down in the summer, minimal US casualties (thousands, not millions of deaths/infections), and we can slowly ramp life back up to 100% by fall with vaccine availability?

I'm getting most of my info from a statistician on twitter who knows what he is talking about but seems like he is being super conservative. So I am pretty well versed in the reasonable worst case scenario but idk about best.
Azariah
AG
hatchback said:

I'm trying my damned hardest to pay for everything with ApplePay when I can to minimize how frequently I have to give someone my card.

Except you still have to touch the 'Yes' button on the screen to verify the amount. That drives me crazy. That button should change position randomly, or I should be able to talk to it.
Phat32
AG
Use your knuckle, or buy a cheap stylus to carry around.
AgsMyDude
AG
This has probably be asked but is there anything that can get done to help get the body/immune system prepared? I'd imagine not much but curious.
BiochemAg97
AG
Caleb12 said:

What's the absolute reasonable best case scenario?

People do a good job social distancing, the virus seriously dies down in the summer, minimal US casualties (thousands, not millions of deaths/infections), and we can slowly ramp life back up to 100% by fall with vaccine availability?

I'm getting most of my info from a statistician on twitter who knows what he is talking about but seems like he is being super conservative. So I am pretty well versed in the reasonable worst case scenario but idk about best.
Mass production of vaccine takes longer. Consider they start the process of making flu vaccine about a year in advance. Also, we are only in phase 1 clinical trials of the vaccine at the moment and will need phase 2 and 3 studies before determining it is safe and effective. More likely mass vaccine would be available mid to late 2021.

That said, the federal govt funded 3 centers including one at A&M for this type of situation. Take a look at CIADM.tamhsc.edu. Part of the capability is a vaccine surge with the ability to product 50 mil doses in 4 months. That is not enough for all of US, so it would be prioritized. Healthcare definitely. Military likely, and then what is left over could be used for the most high risk patients. In that situation, we may also perform antibody titters before you can get a vaccine. No point in giving you a vaccine if you are already immune.

There is some evidence to suggest that most people are asymptomatic. The most optimistic scenario is that since the world has generally only been testing symptomatic individuals, the reported % critical care and % death is significantly higher than it really is. We do not have the data to know this yet.
BiochemAg97
AG
AgsMyDude said:

This has probably be asked but is there anything that can get done to help get the body/immune system prepared? I'd imagine not much but curious.
Eat healthy, get plenty of sleep, exercise. Take your vitamins. Pretty much what we are told to be doing by the doctors all the time.
trident91
AG
Use your Apple Watch, no touching and no confirming needed.
Badace52
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

AgsMyDude said:

Eat healthy, get plenty of sleep, exercise. Take your vitamins. Pretty much what we are told to be doing by the doctors all the time.

This...
Reveille
AG
trident91 said:

This is safest way to pay right now. I use a fossil watch to pay for goods frequently. Literally no touching at all.
bkag9824
AG
Edit - will quote so there's clarity to what I'm speaking to.
bkag9824
AG
Reveille said:

cdouglas said:

If an employee at a small business is diagnosed or is known to have been exposed to someone that has COVID19 is the business required by law to close down since everyone employed (to include ownership) was exposed?

Not that I'm aware of. First someone exposed to someone is not guaranteed to even contract the virus himself. We are currently recommending isolation to those people as a precaution only. So if never even contracted it would not be prudent to shut down an entire business for that.

Now if was infected and came to work than people he came into close contact should probably consider isolation.

OSHA, in its infinite wisdom, has classified COVID as recordable/reportable if it's contracted in the workplace.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/covid-19/standards.html
AtlAg75
AG
AgsMyDude said:

There is a breathing technique, the Wim Hof Method, that has been proven to improve your immune response to disease. Free video of how to do it at wimhofmethod dot com. I'm also an instructor and am organizing a free daily "quickie" on line lesson (probably Instagram live or Eventbrite, working on it) and a couple practice rounds. If there is interest I can let TexAgs know when it is up.
Azariah
AG
trident91 said:

I do use my watch. Still have to confirm.
BiochemAg97
AG
AtlAg75 said:

AgsMyDude said:

There is a breathing technique, the Wim Hof Method, that has been proven to improve your immune response to disease. Free video of how to do it at wimhofmethod dot com. I'm also an instructor and am organizing a free daily "quickie" on line lesson (probably Instagram live or Eventbrite, working on it) and a couple practice rounds. If there is interest I can let TexAgs know when it is up.
This fits in with stress hormones weakening the immune system. Lots of stress right now, so whatever you can do to easy that, including breathing, like above, yoga, meditation... really anything that works to relax and calm you is probably helpful in reducing the negative effects from stress.
Joker98
AG
I appreciate this thread. I read in a prior post about not using a steroid inhaler. What about Flonase for seasonal allergies? Should that be discontinued for the time being? Oak Pollen is super high!
VaultingChemist
AG
yukmonkey said:

Use your knuckle, or buy a cheap stylus to carry around.
Small piece of copper tubing would work great, plus copper is a proven antiviral and antimicrobial material.

NIH Copper

Quote:

Bacteria, yeasts, and viruses are rapidly killed on metallic copper surfaces, and the term "contact killing" has been coined for this process. While the phenomenon was already known in ancient times, it is currently receiving renewed attention. This is due to the potential use of copper as an antibacterial material in health care settings.
Reveille
AG
Joker98 said:

I appreciate this thread. I read in a prior post about not using a steroid inhaler. What about Flonase for seasonal allergies? Should that be discontinued for the time being? Oak Pollen is super high!
I wouldn't worry much about flonase. It is a great inhaled steroid for allergies but once again very little is systemically absorbed. It will also help keep your allergies in check so as to confuse your clinician with other symptoms in case you do sick.
SlygirlAg
AG
Reveille said:

Most current update

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2643368755946065/?sfnsn=mo

thank you again for these daily FB updates!

In a sea of craziness, you always present the information in a calm, reasoned way that is reassuring, and I have been sharing these every day!
CorpsTerd04
AG
What about taking baby asprin as a daily regimen. Should you stop?
VaultingChemist
AG
I just spent time with my 6-month-old granddaughter on Sunday. Her father just found out today that one of his coworkers in his office tested positive for Covid-19.

I am wondering if I should self quarantine for 14 days?
BiochemAg97
AG
VaultingChemist said:

I just spent time with my 6-month-old granddaughter on Sunday. Her father just found out today that one of his coworkers in his office tested positive for Covid-19.

Unlikely that you are positive. Coworker->father->granddaughter->you is several steps and would take weeks. Coworker's infection is probably not that old.

That said, if you can self quarantine, it is better to be over cautious than to risk spreading.
Irwin M. Fletcher
AG
Doc, I have seen some mention of this in the thread but never got a direct answer from anyone. Since in theory the virus binds to ACE and if someone is on an ACE inhibitor, would it be worth considering switching to an ARB for their hypertension? Curious what your thoughts would be here.
BQ91
AG
I am on an ARB, Benicar, to keep my blood pressure in check, and it is effective and keeps in in normal range. Is Benicar a drug I should discontinue due to Corona virus? Also I am on a CPAP/ BPAP machine for sleep apnea is that an issue. Thanks for all the advice.
austinag1997
AG
bkag9824 said:

Reveille said:

cdouglas said:

If an employee at a small business is diagnosed or is known to have been exposed to someone that has COVID19 is the business required by law to close down since everyone employed (to include ownership) was exposed?

Not that I'm aware of. First someone exposed to someone is not guaranteed to even contract the virus himself. We are currently recommending isolation to those people as a precaution only. So if never even contracted it would not be prudent to shut down an entire business for that.

Now if was infected and came to work than people he came into close contact should probably consider isolation.

OSHA, in its infinite wisdom, has classified COVID as recordable/reportable if it's contracted in the workplace.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/covid-19/standards.html

How would you ever prove it was contracted at work?
BiochemAg97
AG
BQ91 said:

I am on an ARB, Benicar, to keep my blood pressure in check, and it is effective and keeps in in normal range. Is Benicar a drug I should discontinue due to Corona virus? Also I am on a CPAP/ BPAP machine for sleep apnea is that an issue. Thanks for all the advice.

The concern with CPAP/BPAP is that it can produce droplets/aerosols. This is a concern in a hospital setting as it could spread virus to others in the hospital.

It is less of a concern at home, largely because of the close proximity, a spouse who sleeps with you has significant other exposure already.

On balance, you should probably keep using it at home because good sleep is going to help your body fight off an infection.
Reveille
AG
CorpsTerd04 said:

What about taking baby asprin as a daily regimen. Should you stop?
No a would not stop baby aspirin as the benefits likely outweigh the risks. The risks with aspirin and NSAID's is not proven at this point and under some considerable debate. However, if you have other options like Tylenol available for fever no need to chance it. If you are taking a baby aspirin for heart protective properties in my opinion that benefit far outweighs a possible risk.
Reveille
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

VaultingChemist said:

Unlikely that you are positive. Coworker->father->granddaughter->you is several steps and would take weeks. Coworker's infection is probably not that old.

That said, if you can self quarantine, it is better to be over cautious than to risk spreading.
Well said!
Reveille
AG
Irwin M. Fletcher said:

Doc, I have seen some mention of this in the thread but never got a direct answer from anyone. Since in theory the virus binds to ACE and if someone is on an ACE inhibitor, would it be worth considering switching to an ARB for their hypertension? Curious what your thoughts would be here.
Good question according to cardiology societies yes you should stay on them.

https://www.healio.com/cardiology/vascular-medicine/news/online/%7Bfe7f0842-aecb-417b-9ecf-3fe7e0ddd991%7D/cardiology-societies-recommend-patients-taking-ace-inhibitors-arbs-who-contract-covid-19-should-continue-treatment?fbclid=IwAR0GGQfZ1s5dW657MtPaFLOOvpSPS8dSbjpsz0527nY6SwgCTpRSUfbkrYw
lunchbox
Howdy Doc!

Thyroid issues run on my wife's side of the family. She had thyroid cancer (thyroid removed and there are no further issues) and my daughter was born without a thyroid (she just has undeveloped tissue at the base of her tongue that doesn't do anything). They both take levoxyl to make up the difference of not having a thyroid.

Is there any reason that this would cause them to be in the "at risk" category? We are thinking 'no' but figured I would ask anyway...

Thanks
Reveille
AG
lunchbox said:

Howdy Doc!

Thyroid issues run on my wife's side of the family. She had thyroid cancer (thyroid removed and there are no further issues) and my daughter was born without a thyroid (she just has undeveloped tissue at the base of her tongue that doesn't do anything). They both take levoxyl to make up the difference of not having a thyroid.

Is there any reason that this would cause them to be in the "at risk" category? We are thinking 'no' but figured I would ask anyway...

Thanks

No not at all! Thyroid disease should not be considered a significant risk factor!
First Page Last Page
Page 19 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.