Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,248 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never heard of a blood oxygen sensor. Who needs one?
TAMUallen
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

Thanks for the heads up about phone. Never knew it was there.

On my note9, the O2 meter is under the stress meter fyi if you can't find it
74OA
AG
Have this been discussed? Anti-inflammatories

Tylenol isn't an anti-inflammatory, is it?

(SIAP--too many pages to scan thru.)
BLB_95
AG
this was just forwarded to me by a non-Aggie.....how realistic is this or just more fear mongering?

From someone that works in the medical field..
GM Fam - just spoke to one of my Frat Brothers who is a pathologist and is a member of Harris County Health Assoc council. He was giving me a heads up that the entire HOUSTON area is about to be on lockdown - that includes surrounding counties. He was on a conference call and the plans are pretty much finalized. They are awaiting the results of three test being conducted at the CDC. Hospitals are ramping up to build tent cities where COVID19 cases -will be quarantined and treated. Group gatherings will be limited to 50 people. You will have to "check in" to places to ensure that the health agencies can use for tracking people in the event that if someone who has COVID19(or being tested) was at the place you were - they can contact you and start the 14 day quarantine. So in essence - you are automatically placed in quarantine and anyone else you have had contact with is also
placed in quarantine. And he said there will be no exceptions - stock up on food and water because it's about to get crazy - his words.
MemorialTXAg
BLB_95 said:

this was just forwarded to me by a non-Aggie.....how realistic is this or just more fear mongering?

GM Fam - just spoke to one of my Frat Brothers who is a pathologist and is a member of Harris County Health Assoc council. He was giving me a heads up that the entire HOUSTON area is about to be on lockdown - that includes surrounding counties. He was on a conference call and the plans are pretty much finalized. They are awaiting the results of three test being conducted at the CDC. Hospitals are ramping up to build tent cities where COVID19 cases -will be quarantined and treated. Group gatherings will be limited to 50 people. You will have to "check in" to places to ensure that the health agencies can use for tracking people in the event that if someone who has COVID19(or being tested) was at the place you were - they can contact you and start the 14 day quarantine. So in essence - you are automatically placed in quarantine and anyone else you have had contact with is also
placed in quarantine. And he said there will be no exceptions - stock up on food and water because it's about to get crazy - his words.

Stock up on water because ....?
ag4ever2010
AG
BLB_95 said:

This would line up with a rumor that I heard yesterday about CDC working behind the scenes on lockdown orders around the country to be issued tonight at 9 pm or so. Didn't believe it yesterday as it was a 4 degree separation from the source, but I'm becoming less and less surprised.
BLB_95
AG
No Pressure said:

BLB_95 said:

Stock up on water because ....?

Agree... Anytime I see someone say stock up on water my BS meter starts flashing.
CowtownAg06
AG
I heard the rumor that Trump would announce the lockdown yesterday at his 2 pm news conference. Didn't believe it (and didn't happen). Faucci (who is very credible) hasn't hinted at in his conferences. I don't think we're headed to that degree anytime soon.
Wheatables02
AG
There is no doubt in my mind that it's here and community spread is real. Once testing really starts, we'll start to see exponential case number increase like Italy, Spain, etc.

I do believe we will get to lockdown eventually. I observed a ton of people out and about at a major shopping center last night, packing in the bars and restaurants. We can't stop it unless we bunker down for a bit.
SpringAg92
This may sound ignorant, but in the event of a lockdown would we be permitted to pick up groceries curbside?
boulderaggie
AG
What is the definition of lockdown in this context?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Just got an email from my Chief at the PD. Without going into detail, they really seem to be planning on this getting pretty damn bad.

No mention of lockdowns, etc, but I basically need to start planning on the idea of being away from home for 14-21 days. And unless it's a critical call, don't plan on an officer showing up in person.

I don't get concerned or worried very easily at all, but I am.... this is about to get real.
aggiehawg
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Just got an email from my Chief at the PD. Without going into detail, they really seem to be planning on this getting pretty damn bad.

No mention of lockdowns, etc, but I basically need to start planning on the idea of being away from home for 14-21 days. And unless it's a critical call, don't plan on an officer showing up in person.

I don't get concerned or worried very easily at all, but I am.... this is about to get real.
Which PD? Where are you?
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
boulderaggie said:

What is the definition of lockdown in this context?

Spain just announced a lockdown with exceptions for people driving to work or to pick up groceries.

I imagine an American lockdown would look similar. Bars, Dine Restaurants, Theaters etc would be closed.
Rockdoc
AG
I go to a gym 5 days a week to workout. And yeah I'm an old. I'm wondering how proactive the large gyms will be when it comes to closing down before it gets too bad. Perhaps that's all on me. Any feedback?
Patentmike
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

OaklandAg06 said:

Q for the Drs- how is information that has been coming out of Asia around treatments being put to use? I've heard a lot about remdesivir, HIV drugs, and hydroxychloroquine. I know we have a lot of red tape in our medical system and curious how we are putting lessons learned from other countries for treatment to use here.

CDC director's blog said we are doing trials of Remdesivir already. So yes, we are paying attention and using it to treat patients.

However, all I've seen on remdesivir is anecdotal so far. I haven't seen the results of the controlled study China was doing.

We have to balance treating all the patients with something that may not work and waiting too long to treat.

The optimism for Remdesivir appears based on in vitro experiments and activity in MERS animal models. Johns Hopkins had a page with references to those MERS studies
PatentMike, J.D.
BS Biochem
MS Molecular Virology

AgsMyDude
AG
Reveille said:

AgsMyDude said:

Are blood oxygen sensors worth having on hand, like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019EKP19Q/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_xqqBEbN75VD26

Yes those are helpful and I think now that they affordable every house should have one. Just remember if you do not see I constant pulse beat then it is but picking up correctly so the number is not accurate.

For a healthy person the reading should be between 95 to 100. Consistent readings below 92 requires possible hospitalization.

FYI most Samsung phones have a pulse ox reader but into it. So if you have a Samsung phone you can Google how to use it.

Thanks!
htxag09
AG
Rockdoc said:

I go to a gym 5 days a week to workout. And yeah I'm an old. I'm wondering how proactive the large gyms will be when it comes to closing down before it gets too bad. Perhaps that's all on me. Any feedback?

Personally, I'd say that's on you.
Tailgate88
AG
Rockdoc said:

Google: "Work out at home".

Play it safe. Better safe than sorry. Not being sarcastic.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
North DFW area.... Denton County
OaklandAg06
AG
The papers around the hydroxychloroquine seem really interesting and promising, plus the fact that it is a well know, well tolerated, and CHEAP drug. Hope we see more success with it as more data from trials continues to come out.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks. Stay safe.
AgsMyDude
AG
Rockdoc said:

P90X at home
dermdoc
AG
So instead of looking at Italy or Spain, I look at Seattle and Washington as they seem to be where we will be in a week. Take away the 20 nursing home deaths and it is very encouraging.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
farmrag
dermdoc said:

So instead of looking at Italy or Spain, I look at Seattle and Washington as they seem to be where we will be in a week. Take away the 20 nursing home deaths and it is very encouraging.
I hope you're right derm.
dermdoc
AG
farmrag said:

dermdoc said:

I hope you're right derm.

Well that is a comparable population with the US health care system. I trust no numbers from foreign countries especially China. I think Seattle and Washington are a week ahead of us.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Has anybody here actually communicated with a hospital worker in Seattle this afternoon? Earlier reports sounded like it was getting bad, then all the info kinda dried up.
Zobel
AG
Would not be surprised if most hospitals are effectively giving gag orders to their employees. And for good reason. Let the authorities get word out.
dermdoc
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Would not be surprised if most hospitals are effectively giving gag orders to their employees. And for good reason. Let the authorities get word out.

I personally think if Seattle was crashing we would know about it.
Zobel
AG
Yeah I don't think it's crashing. I also don't think Washington state is at 750 cases / 1M yet. And, because of the additional capacity, know-how, and planning we've been doing we may be able to handle a higher morbidity before hospitals start to struggle.
TyHolden
AG
How does India have less than 100 cases?
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

North DFW area.... Denton County

If its Denton County, I'm guessing you'll be riding shotgun in the WalMart trucks replenishing the stores.
hatchback
AG
Nm
dermdoc
AG
So the first reported corona virus case in Washington State was 1/21 or six weeks ago. And this is according to the NYT. 37 deaths over six weeks and 20 were compromised patients at a nursing home.
Zobel
AG
We know they were having community spread before that by the number of mutations present in the virus that was sampled.

If you figure symptomatic transmission time per "jump" is 4 days median. R0 of 2 means each jump doubles base size.

Literature has been saying 7-8 days from symptomatic to respiratory issues / needing hospitalization. So 11 days from exposure. 15% hospitalization rate is reported, but some asymptomatic folks out there right? Let's guess 20%.

That works out to 8192 real infections by yesterday. Only 4096 are possibly symptomatic, and 3200 are just starting symptoms. Only 1024 are likely to have had it long enough for respiratory problems, and of those only 820 are symptomatic. 655 are minor. 122 need hospitalization. 40 are critical.

The math works out reasonably. And probably no one would notice that spread out in a state the size of Washington.

But by March 29 you have 3900 in hospital and 1310 ICU if you don't do anything.
First Page Last Page
Page 11 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.