Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,369 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
Reveille
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TexAgII said:

Question for Rev: my Dad is in an ALF but relatively healthy all things considered. Is there anything I can do to help/protect him considering the age and health status of many residents? It is a new facility which opened in late 2018 and does a good job of keeping clean but still. Thanks.

Not really too much other than good hygiene and self protective practices! Limit his visitors and have stay away from other residents as much as possible. Bring a hermit now works be a good thing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
fullback44 said:

I have one question:

The pollen counts with the tree's and some grass's are really really high right now, should I or any of us be worried if our throat is hurting some and Im getting some fatigue, I also feel a little tightness in the chest... I believe its just allergies but now I have this coronavirus in the back of my mind... I keep checking my Oxygen content and its been 96-97%..

Sounds like allergies but this is going to be a common issue since symptoms overlap. Look for more sneezing with allergies!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
Ags_2002 said:

Thank you again for all the info.

Both my parents are upper 70s. Neither drives and both have a variety of health problems but not respiratory issues.

I currently do the pill boxes and we have have a care giver there most days to clean, cook etc.

Food and meds are the major issues.
Are they high risk?
Should I suspend hired help?
Is door dash delivery safer or more risky?

I assume I should wear gloves and a mask when i fill the pill box?

Make sure the caregiver takes precautions washing hands etc. Yes door dash is a good idea. Keep them inside and the only thing to do is make you and the caregiver don't infect them.
Reveille
AG
74OA said:

fullback44 said:

I have one question:

The pollen counts with the tree's and some grass's are really really high right now, should I or any of us be worried if our throat is hurting some and Im getting some fatigue, I also feel a little tightness in the chest... I believe its just allergies but now I have this coronavirus in the back of my mind... I keep checking my Oxygen content and its been 96-97%..
Buy a thermometer? No fever, no virus.

Not necessarily true as thier are a significant number of cases that have no fever but most will. So definitely less likely without a temperature.
Reveille
AG
Matilda said:

I have an embarrassingly dumb question. I understand that we should refrain from touching our face. Does this mean touching your face with your hands or touching them with the sleeve (biceps or upper forearm) as well?

For sure hands, but I would avoid touching my face with anything if you can.
MW03
AG
I want to say thank you to Rev, the posters contributing with questions and answers, and the staff for this thread.

People are scared, and the we are untrusting of the media and our government in equal parts. I didn't subscribe to TexAgs for this purpose, but I can't think of a better example of what it means to be a community.

So earnestly, sincerely, thank you all so very much.
Reveille
AG
bucky91 said:

Have a family vacation planned to Whistler Canada. Flying in the Seattle airport and renting a car. No one in the family is in the high risk group. Would you be scared to fly in the Seattle and get out of there as quickly as possible? I would think the Seattle airport would be very sterilized

Not sure how I feel about that one. Risk is probably low if everyone is healthy. In the healthy population of you caught it it would very likely be mild but there has been a few outliers like we always see. So I would say travel at your own risk and avoid crowds!
Reveille
AG
MW03 said:

I want to say thank you to Rev, the posters contributing with questions and answers, and the staff for this thread.

People are scared, and the we are untrusting of the media and our government in equal parts. I didn't subscribe to TexAgs for this purpose, but I can't think of a better example of what it means to be a community.

So earnestly, sincerely, thank you all so very much.

Your very welcome! I got into medicine to help people. The more we all understand about this virus the more likely we are to be able to slow it's spread and eventually get it under control. If all of this saves one life it was time well spent!
JasonD2005
AG
Doc if you're not worn out yet I have to ask:

Suppose a person has well-controlled asthma. By that I mean, getting a cold a couple times a year and maybe a one-off stirring up of dust = albuterol actuator for a couple days.

In other words, person only has asthma symptoms when sick, but takes colds harder than the rest of the family and they often result in secondary infections like bronchitis and require steroids to kick out.

Higher risk?

Thanks for all you're doing!
Terence Kitchens
Doc,

Thank you for your time and knowledge on here!

-TK
Badace52
AG
Yes, but if they are otherwise young and healthy, not so much higher that they should be as highly concerned as the over 60 age group.

I am similarly asthmatic and under 40 and otherwise in fairly good health. I also see tons of pts with upper respiratory/cold symptoms every day. I am not overly concerned.

Mildly concerned, and I expect that when I get it, the course will probably be a little harder for me just like when I get other colds and the flu, but I'm still gonna show up to work.
Aggie1
AG
Actually, since the season is upon us, I am curious about "Cedar Fever" symptoms in relation to CoronaVirus symptoms as there appears to be some overlap and similar effect on one's ability to function at 100% - lethargy, runny nose, and very mild fever, etc., etc., which affects most of Texas from the Rio Grande to the Red River... and beyond??
Reveille
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Thank you for posting this, Dr.

But this
Quote:

I know sucks having a t.u. diploma but I hang it upside down
can be addressed in two distinct ways.

1. Regardless of what we all think of that little brother pissant school to our west, obtaining that degree represents a lot of work on your part and is quite an impressive accomplishment of which you should be proud ...

or

2. You are a truly Red-Ass Aggie!
I am for sure a Red Ass Aggie! I have had season tickets since I finished residency in 2000. I started with 2 and now have 14 tickets and take my entire family to every home game.
Badace52
AG
Cedar fever season is over. It peaks around January and is usually over well before the end of February.

Allergy sufferers are currently suffering from the numerous other types of tree pollens in the air right now. Especially oak pollens. Ashe Junipers (aka cedars) are no longer producing any pollen at all right now.
maroonDRANK
AG
Frisco86 said:

You noted that you fight (aggressively urge) your patients to get flu shot.

I have never received one. Luckily, I guess, I have never got the flu (knock on wood). Question: You noted that if you get a bug your body develops antibodies that then can be deployed if the bug reoccurs and thus you don't get sick - ie build an immunity to it. So if you get a flu shot, does that build these antibodies? If so, then do you need to get flu shot every year? Seems like it is pushed to get your annual flu shot. Or does the shot just reduce the severity of the flu if and when you do get it?

I will hang up and listen. Thanks.

Well I'm not a doctor but it's like giving your body film. It doesn't mean you're going to win the game... just makes you better prepared and gives you a better chance to win the game.
fullback44
AG
Thanks Doc
mjschiller
AG
Reveille, thank you for the info
Marvin J. Schiller
Redassag94
AG
maroonDRANK said:

Frisco86 said:

I have never received one. Luckily, I guess, I have never got the flu (knock on wood). Question: You noted that if you get a bug your body develops antibodies that then can be deployed if the bug reoccurs and thus you don't get sick - ie build an immunity to it. So if you get a flu shot, does that build these antibodies? If so, then do you need to get flu shot every year? Seems like it is pushed to get your annual flu shot. Or does the shot just reduce the severity of the flu if and when you do get it?

Well I'm not a doctor but it's like giving your body film. It doesn't mean you're going to win the game... just makes you better prepared and gives you a better chance to win the game.

There are several strains of the flu and they change and adapt every year. So the flu shot covers as many strains as possible they predict will be present in the flu season. This year they actually came out with an updated flu shot that covered more strains so I waited to get the flu shot to cover more strains. I'm not a doctor just ask a lot of questions.
Counterpoint
AG
Is there a way to find out if someone has had it after they have fully recovered?
Sandman98
AG
Counterpoint said:

Is there a way to find out if someone has had it after they have fully recovered?

I just read that it can stay in the body for 37 days (most of which without symptoms). I'm sure a test would show that but.......we don't have tests.
Reveille
AG
JasonD2005 said:

Suppose a person has well-controlled asthma. By that I mean, getting a cold a couple times a year and maybe a one-off stirring up of dust = albuterol actuator for a couple days.

In other words, person only has asthma symptoms when sick, but takes colds harder than the rest of the family and they often result in secondary infections like bronchitis and require steroids to kick out.

Higher risk?

No that would not likely increase your risk. Use of oral steroids certainly would though.
Badace52
AG
Theoretically yes. You can test for certain types of antibodies to see if they are present which would indicate previous infection.. I don't know if they can do it with this particular virus yet but antibody tests like this have been developed for several viruses in the past.

It definitely won't be high on the list of priorities regarding development of testing for this virus right now. If you have already had the virus you are unlikely to get it again in short order and are in most instances in the clear.
Reveille
AG
maroonDRANK said:

Frisco86 said:

I agree
Reveille
AG
Here is update for today

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2638928379723436/?sfnsn=mo

Badace52
AG
Reveille said:

JasonD2005 said:

Higher risk?

No that would not likely increase your risk. Use of oral steroids certainly would though.

Although I agree it doesn't increase risk for young healthy people all that much in cases of mild and controlled asthma as the poster is describing, it increases risk at least some.

Here is some information from a relevant, reliable source specifically for asthmatic patients:

https://community.aafa.org/blog/coronavirus-2019-ncov-flu-what-people-with-asthma-need-to-know
SlygirlAg
AG
Reveille said:

Here is update for today

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2638928379723436/?sfnsn=mo

Thank you for these updates!
They have lowered my BP greatly!
Reveille
AG
Badace52 said:

Reveille said:

JasonD2005 said:

Higher risk?

Although I agree it doesn't increase risk for young healthy people all that much in cases of mild and controlled asthma as the poster is describing, it increases risk at least some.

Here is some information from a relevant, reliable source specifically for asthmatic patients:

https://community.aafa.org/blog/coronavirus-2019-ncov-flu-what-people-with-asthma-need-to-know

I agree should have said doesn't significantly increase your risk it make you in a high risk category. Asthma increases your risk a little with any respiratory disease.

Guess I'm getting too tired, been a long week. Thanks for the clarification.
Allen Aggie
AG
How dangerous do you think it is to go through drive throughs to get food? Thanks.
Badace52
AG
Less dangerous than going into the restaurant and eating off the table using their utensils while exposing yourself to a throng of people.
coastalaggie
AG
Dr. REV. I asked this earlier on in the post and assume it had been buried due to the volume of people posting, so....

What are your thoughts on repatriating back to the US if you live or work abroad in country with little known cases (Nigeria)? Don't want to get stuck on the wrong side of the wall if this thing goes sideways worst then it already is.

I work with several expats from all over the world and the company has put in place restrictions on people coming from areas such as China, SK, Iran, etc... so this will hopfully help.
Fair Winds and Following Seas
coastalaggie
AG
Dr. REV, have you read this article, and if so what are your thoughts?
Quote:

Quote:

CBS News spoke to one of the country's top experts on viruses, Marc Lipsitch from Harvard University, who cautions that 40-70% of the world's population will become infected and from that number, 1% of people who get symptoms from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, could die.

Quote:

Quote:

Lipsitch: So say that's half the people. Then the 1% or 2% that we're seeing in the symptomatic people is cut down by half. Whatever the number is, it's gonna take a toll. If it really does spread as widely as that projection says, and that's what I think is likely to happen, then there are gonna be millions of people dying. And I don't think there's any way to get around that. And so I think there's real reason for people to be concerned. I also think that we can turn that concern into actions that will make the situation better.

Link to story
Fair Winds and Following Seas
aggie67,74&76
AG
Reveille thank you for taking your precious time to inform us.
Reveille
AG
Allen Aggie said:

How dangerous do you think it is to go through drive throughs to get food? Thanks.

That should not be considered risky. Use drive through at restaurants and pharmacy's to lower your risk.
Reveille
AG
coastalaggie said:

Dr. REV. I asked this earlier on in the post and assume it had been buried due to the volume of people posting, so....

What are your thoughts on repatriating back to the US if you live or work abroad in country with little known cases (Nigeria)? Don't want to get stuck on the wrong side of the wall if this thing goes sideways worst then it already is.

I work with several expats from all over the world and the company has put in place restrictions on people coming from areas such as China, SK, Iran, etc... so this will hopfully help.

Don't know for sure. The obvious answer is to get back to the States because we have a far superior healthcare system.

However, if you look at my update from today data is being released now that virus prefers a cold less humid environment. It is not spreading much below 30 degrees latitude. Thus, he may safer in a warmer dry climate. So if your health is good I think staying for a little while might have some advantages.
Harkrider 93
AG
Reveille said:

coastalaggie said:

Don't know for sure. The obvious answer is to get back to the States because we have a far superior healthcare system.

However, if you look at my update from today data is being released now that virus prefers a cold less humid environment. It is not spreading much below 30 degrees latitude. Thus, he may safer in a warmer dry climate. So if your health is good I think staying for a little while might have some advantages.
we will never beat LSU
First Page Last Page
Page 7 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.