Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,262,208 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tamc91
Granitestate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Awesome insights. Thank you. Phase 3 management is critical. Individuals and organizations will participate if theIt perceived benefit is greater then their risk. That ratio changes with their financial stability. A 5 day self isolation instead of 14 would help reduce de-risk any plan.
PPlayboy87
AG
Complete Idiot said:

China bumped up their deaths a lot too. Like 50%.
Like exactly 50%.

"Don't trust China. China is asshoe!"
96AustinAg
AG
PPlayboy87 said:

Complete Idiot said:

Like exactly 50%.

"They're on to us! We'd better do something!"
BiochemAg97
AG
96AustinAg said:

PPlayboy87 said:

Complete Idiot said:

Like exactly 50%.

It truly appears like the CCP decided their low numbers were too obvious and the the international community was asking too many questions. Then decided to increase the number by hopefully enough to discourage the international community from digging too deeply while blaming on the local governments incompetence rather than the central governments policy of lies and coverups. At the same time, they didn't want to increase the numbers too much as that would reveal the extent of the coverup and failures to the local Chinese people. So, they picked 50%.
Exsurge Domine
BiochemAg97 said:

96AustinAg said:

PPlayboy87 said:

Complete Idiot said:

Like exactly 50%.

It truly appears like the CCP decided their low numbers were too obvious and the the international community was asking too many questions. Then decided to increase the number by hopefully enough to discourage the international community from digging too deeply while blaming on the local governments incompetence rather than the central governments policy of lies and coverups. At the same time, they didn't want to increase the numbers too much as that would reveal the extent of the coverup and failures to the local Chinese people. So, they picked 50%.

Reminds me of Get Smart "well, would you believe an additional 50% deaths"
TMW1
Dr. Coates. I appreciate all the information you continue to provide. Yesterday I had the antibody test at my primary care physician's office in Austin. It was the National Bio Green Sciences test. An hour later they called to tell me I was positive for both IgG and IgM. In mid February I had what I thought was the flu but I assume it may have been Covid 19. They told me that though I still have IgM in my body, I should not be contagious and should be immune from being infected again. Does this sound correct? Thanks!
CapCityAg89
AG
TMW1 said:

Dr. Coates. I appreciate all the information you continue to provide. Yesterday I had the antibody test at my primary care physician's office in Austin. It was the National Bio Green Sciences test. An hour later they called to tell me I was positive for both IgG and IgM. In mid February I had what I thought was the flu but I assume it may have been Covid 19. They told me that though I still have IgM in my body, I should not be contagious and should be immune from being infected again. Does this sound correct? Thanks!

Congrats!!!

Donate plasma.
BiochemAg97
AG
TMW1 said:

IgM shows up first and IgG later. But as far as I can tell, IgM doesn't go away on that time scale. So IgM without IgG is a recent infection, and IgG indicates older exposure.

Best anyone can tell, you are immune. I second the idea of registering to give plasma for convalescent plasma therapy.
Reveille
AG
Today's update!

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2671754636440810/?sfnsn=mo

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I'll hop on the plasma donation recommendation.

Shoot me a pm. I work for a blood bank and can walk you through the process if in our service area (north/central/East Texas) or I can help direct you to you community blood bank if somewhere else.

We have currently drawn around 22 plasma donors and collected nearly 80 donations. All of which have gone out to local patients.
BiochemAg97
AG
A peak at some of the remdesivir trial results. Since this is just one part of the larger trial, it is still just anecdotal evidence until combined and analyzed with the whole dataset. But taking the most severe patients (including those on ventilators) and releasing from hospital within 6 days of starting treatment is very promising (game changing).

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/
TMW1
I'll be taking my wife and daughter to my PCP to be tested on Tuesday. I'll talk to him about donating plasma. It may turn out that all three of us can be donors.
Reveille
AG
Yes you should be considered immune and the IgM can stay positive for 30 to 60 days after a viral infection. I agree about donating some plasma that can potentially be used to save someone else!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ddugat
AG
That Stanford study is eye popping. I know it's a bit simplistic, but if we are looking at confirmed vs actual , we could be at 36 to 61 million total US infections to this point?
Aggie95
AG
Research in Georgia showing positive results in vitro with Auranofin. Any docs want to expand on what this particular medicine is and how it would work.
Reveille
AG
ddugat said:

That Stanford study is eye popping. I know it's a bit simplistic, but if we are looking at confirmed vs actual , we could be at 36 to 61 million total US infections to this point?
I don't think you can just multiple the national number x70 because New York and New Jersey have almost 45% of reported cases. If you pull them out and use the x70 number you have about 28M or ~11% of the population which would still be a huge number.

I think we should all be happy if we have that much of a head start on getting towards herd immunity. So lets hope that is the case. This will dramatically slow the spread of the virus and help protect against a giant resurgence in the number of cases.
CowtownAg06
AG
Doc Rev and BioChem,

Y'all have done a good job warning against false positives for antibodies and have suggested it will be a routine test with you PCP soon. Are there any particular tests that loook better than others? Where and when would you recommend we seek these out?
ddugat
AG
Thanks, I put that out there hoping someone could give me a better number.
Reveille
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Doc Rev and BioChem,

Y'all have done a good job warning against false positives for antibodies and have suggested it will be a routine test with you PCP soon. Are there any particular tests that loook better than others? Where and when would you recommend we seek these out?
I think the majority of tests done through a PCP will be of a higher quality. The ones you find on facebook, a quick care center or in a shopping center I would be very leery of. Your PCP is most likely looking for accuracy more than a financial gain as he has your best interest at heart.
redline248
AG
I'm curious what is the opinion of medical professionals in regards to continuing shelter in place here in Texas. Posters on other texags boards are quite insistent it's massive overreaction.
Barnyard96
AG
Some posters yes. I think the consensus is we have done what has been asked of us and we achieved results far greater than they could have ever hoped. Call it what you want but the question is

"now what?"

Bondag
AG
redline248 said:

I'm curious what is the opinion of medical professionals in regards to continuing shelter in place here in Texas. Posters on other texags boards are quite insistent it's massive overreaction.

Not a doctor but I think we need to open TEXAS for business but cut out personal travel to and from other states for another month or so.
Austin Ag
AG
Just saw this guy get curbside chick-fl-a. The server brought his order out in a plastic tub, gloves and mask on. The customer cracked his window about and inch and remotely opened his hatchback and instructed her to place the order in the rear of the vehicle.

The server stated that she is not allowed to enter any vehicles or handle the food and that he needed to remove the food from the tub.

She was instructed to leave the tub on the ground and walk away and return to get the tub after he leaves.

He got out, placed the food with his gloves on in the back is his SUV. Gets back in and leaves.

We get our order and leave. On the way out we see him in the target parking lot parked away from all other cars. We saw that he was wiping down his food packages with Clorox type wipes.

Thoughts?
Barnyard96
AG
Yes, Chic-fil-a sounds good right now.
BiochemAg97
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Doc Rev and BioChem,

You are going to want to stick to FDA authorized tests. And by approved, I mean a test with an emergency use authorization. In a rush to get antibody testing out, places started grabbing up any tests they could get. Couple that with a lot of unscrupulous actors sending out ****ty tests. The FDA has cracked down on that to some extent, and given EUA to additional good tests. Like the rtPCR tests, it will take time to ramp up production of EUA antibody tests and get more manufactures approved to more more tests. Also, as with the rtPCR test, it appears priority is being given to certain facilities and locations.

Given the FDA crackdown last week on bad tests, I think I agree with Rev that your PCP and larger primary care clinics would be your best bet for a quality test, but it might take a while for your doctor to have the tests available.

Roche has a test that is pending FDA EUA approval. It is already approved and rolling out in U.K. and Europe. Adding their manufacturing capacity will help.

The advantage of the antibody test is that once you test positive, you don't really need to be tested again. With the PCR test, there are reasons to retest both positive (to see when they are recovered) and negative (they might get it after) results.
Complete Idiot
Austin Ag said:

Just saw this guy get curbside chick-fl-a. The server brought his order out in a plastic tub, gloves and mask on. The customer cracked his window about and inch and remotely opened his hatchback and instructed her to place the order in the rear of the vehicle.

The server stated that she is not allowed to enter any vehicles or handle the food and that he needed to remove the food from the tub.

She was instructed to leave the tub on the ground and walk away and return to get the tub after he leaves.

He got out, placed the food with his gloves on in the back is his SUV. Gets back in and leaves.

We get our order and leave. On the way out we see him in the target parking lot parked away from all other cars. We saw that he was wiping down his food packages with Clorox type wipes.

Thoughts?
My first thought is wondering if Chick Fil A fast food so good as to warrant such extreme measures? They should put that in an ad showing the devotion of their customers.

Because yes, the actions seem extreme and over the top. If giving the benefit of the doubt, you might wonder if that customer was at risk due to a physical condition known to exacerbate the disease. But if that was true - you still go out and go through the drive through? Damn that chicken must be delicious.
Rachel 98
AG
I am picturing this happening at the Chik-fil-A over on Braker and 183. Is that where it was? The restaurant with all the crazy electrical stuff in the parking lot. I just finished eating the chicken minis from there for breakfast, yum!!
BiochemAg97
AG
redline248 said:

Not a medical professional, but it appears from all I have heard that we may have flattened the curve. Our hospitals have plenty of capacity because of we stopped all elective surgeries. This has caused a completely different problem than in places like NY. Instead of overwhelming our healthcare system, we have furloughed our healthcare workers.

Additionally, economic dislocation has its own risks, including increase suicides, domestic violence, alcoholism.

However, there is still a lot unknown. So a phased rollback of restrictions makes a lot of sense. We do not want to go too far too fast and end up overwhelming our healthcare system.

So far, we have:
-Allowing curbside to go from "non-essential" businesses makes a lot of sense. It has been allowed in other states and there is no reason to expect it is safer to get takeout food than to get takeout other goods.

-opening state parks. There is no reason to expect a state park is more dangerous than a city park or the sidewalk, if you maintain appropriate precautions.

-expand the definition of allowable surgeries. We have the hospital capacity to space.

All this presumes that we are near a peak and not on the verge of spiking.
maroonbeansnrice
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

redline248 said:

Not a medical professional, but it appears from all I have heard that we may have flattened the curve. Our hospitals have plenty of capacity because of we stopped all elective surgeries. This has caused a completely different problem than in places like NY. Instead of overwhelming our healthcare system, we have furloughed our healthcare workers.

Additionally, economic dislocation has its own risks, including increase suicides, domestic violence, alcoholism.

However, there is still a lot unknown. So a phased rollback of restrictions makes a lot of sense. We do not want to go too far too fast and end up overwhelming our healthcare system.

So far, we have:
-Allowing curbside to go from "non-essential" businesses makes a lot of sense. It has been allowed in other states and there is no reason to expect it is safer to get takeout food than to get takeout other goods.

-opening state parks. There is no reason to expect a state park is more dangerous than a city park or the sidewalk, if you maintain appropriate precautions.

-expand the definition of allowable surgeries. We have the hospital capacity to space.

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
“It ain’t like it used to be.”
-Jimbo Fisher
dermdoc
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

redline248 said:

So far, we have:

Agree. We basically add another week or two to see what happens when we start to open stuff up. And if the disease amps up, you can shut things down again pretty easily. I think Abbott is playing this perfectly.

I am very hopeful we have weathered the storm due to more people having had this than we think and that the hot weather will give us time to develop treatments and a vaccine.
dermdoc
AG
maroonbeansnrice said:

BiochemAg97 said:

redline248 said:

So far, we have:

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I agree. And the way to kill fear is knowledge. Basically we are in a stalling game until we develop treatment and then a vaccine.
adairtexas
I hope they hurry cause I need a haircut bad.
LawHall88
AG
dermdoc said:

BiochemAg97 said:

redline248 said:

So far, we have:

Agree. We basically add another week or two to see what happens when we start to open stuff up. And if the disease amps up, you can shut things down again pretty easily. I think Abbott is playing this perfectly.

I am very hopeful we have weathered the storm due to more people having had this than we think and that the hot weather will give us time to develop treatments and a vaccine.
The worst possible outcome would be opening up and shutting down again. That would destroy consumer confidence.
CowtownAg06
AG
I'm not sure about that. Consumer confidence isn't exactly sky high now and not not letting perfect be the enemy of good is important too. If they are controlled but there are incremental waves, I think that's better than a never ending lockdown for 12-18 months.
BiochemAg97
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

I'm not sure about that. Consumer confidence isn't exactly sky high now and not not letting perfect be the enemy of good is important too. If they are controlled but there are incremental waves, I think that's better than a never ending lockdown for 12-18 months.
Agree.

I see three possible options at each phase of opening.

1) infections continue to go down... great, open further
2) infections stay steady or rise slightly... hold until we get a handle on things
3) infections being to rise rapidly and risk overwhelming the healthcare system... this is a terrible outcome and will give the "keep everything shut down" the opportunity to say "told you so" and push against future attempts to reopen.

We need small steps to avoid 3, but we don't need to stay perfect (1).
First Page Last Page
Page 56 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.