Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,251,101 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tamc91
Reveille
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Reveille said:

Granitestate said:

Thank you Doc and all health care providers. You are doing amazing work.

My question relates to a male in Italy who had tested positive. He had minor symptoms and then showed no symptoms by day 14. He was retested and still showed positive at day 21 and at day 30. Is it possible that asymptotic host can carry the virus for extended periods of time and would they still be able to infect those around them?

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/lifestyle/coronavirus-europe/why-do-italians-test-positive-after-symptoms-are-long-gone/ar-BB12BHDe?li=BB10Jn1k
This is probably a better question for biochemAg97 as I don't know the exact specificity of the reverse transcriptase PCR test.
there was a study in monkeys where they found in took up to a month to clear the virus from the initial infection. So not really surprising someone could continue to test positive for close to a month. In the monkeys, they reinfected them after they cleared the virus and then couldn't detect the virus, which suggests immunity is protective. They also directed one of the monkeys during the initial infection and found the virus in a lot of tissues. Not surprising it takes the immune system a good while to find everywhere the virus is hanging out.

There are other viruses that go dormant for a while. Some Herpes viruses are like that, which leads to cold sores that flare up periodically.

Specificity is hard to nail down without knowing the specific test. Improved specificity was a design requirement for the commercial tests in the US. RtPCR works by copying a piece of RNA, which requires a primer to specifically bind to a spot on the virus genome. If you have poor primer design, you can pick up other virus genomes (false negative) or miss some mutants of this virus. It actually takes some art and skill to identify a primer that is unique to this virus but isn't in a spot that is changing or at least encompass all variations.

There were rumors of the test in China being wrong half the time (not sure if that was false positive or false negative) and that CDC test was bad 30% of the time. I think the newer tests are significantly better. However, EUA doesn't require publishing the sensitivity and specificity data like you would for an approved test.

Thank you
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieMD04
AG
In regards to people waiting too long to see a doctor -

In my ER, we have most definitely seen evidence of this. Our patient numbers are about 40% of what they usually are. The patients we do see are much sicker than usual. This points to the fact that we may have been a bit TOO aggressive in telling people to stay away from hospitals and doctor offices unless they really need to be there.

The other unintended consequence of this is that hospitals are losing money at insanely high rates. The patient volumes are down, and all elective surgeries are cancelled. Our hospital system is bleeding literal millions of dollars per month right now. They have cut nurses' hours, APP coverage, and even physicians' hours in our ER. The PAs I work with are losing about 50% of their hours as the hospital attempts to make up for lost revenue. I, as an ER physician, am losing about 30% of my hours. To their credit, even our administrators (GASP!) took a 30% salary cut.

This is why I get really angry when people talk about how this might be some kind of money making conspiracy. If so, I find it difficult to imagine who is actually making money on this deal. Every doc I know is facing salary cuts and there are hospitals on the verge of shutting down completely. To say that we in the medical field are all in on some kind of conspiracy is a slap in the face to us and the sacrifices, both financial and physical, that we are making.

To be clear - that rant isn't directed at anyone here. I just see these things floating around on social media and it drives me crazy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
As an outsider I think they are defining elective procedures too narrowly. I know my duaghter colon test keeps gettin put off even though two doctors saw something in a sonogram that needs to be checked out. So most of us who are just ordinary people are thinking broken bone, bleeding that won't stop, head injury are about the only things you go to the doctor or hospital for.
good_ag
AG
Dr. Coates,

I keep reading in your facebook posts that Texas is about two weeks behind the nation as a whole. Does this mean Texas should be peaking in cases in the next week or so? The news mentioned two weeks ago that these next two weeks(last week and this week) were going to be extremely bad from a death standpoint. Was curious on your thoughts of when the Virus will peak in Texas? Thanks again for doing these!
Badace52
AG
good_ag said:

Dr. Coates,

I keep reading in your facebook posts that Texas is about two weeks behind the nation as a whole. Does this mean Texas should be peaking in cases in the next week or so? The news mentioned two weeks ago that these next two weeks(last week and this week) were going to be extremely bad from a death standpoint. Was curious on your thoughts of when the Virus will peak in Texas? Thanks again for doing these!

Yes, that is the general consensus... I can't speak for Reveille, but from what I have seen and heard in the hospitals, it seems accurate to me.
McInnis
AG
As someone who was going through cancer treatments this time a year ago, my heart really goes out to people who can't get the treatments they need now because of the virus. It's stressful enough dealing with a major disease even when you can get treated on schedule.

But if I really thought that there was a 5% chance this virus would kill me if I became infected, I might have to think twice about going to the ER if I thought I was having a heart attack.

I've found your daily updates invaluable Dr. Coates, so I will ask this as respectfully as I can: do you think it's useful to post the daily update on fatality rate based on the number of officially confirmed cases? I know you have addressed this before, and you yourself have said that we can't really know the real denominator. Would you answer this - what would be your best estimate for the number of people that have actually been infected with the virus compared to the number of official cases?
BiochemAg97
AG
good_ag said:

Dr. Coates,

The IHME projections https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas show Texas peaking in hospital usage towards the end of the month.

The IHME projections are focused on hospital use and deaths, so they don't project new cases. Also, new cases are highly dependent on testing criteria. If we start widening the testing criteria, there would be an increase in the daily new positive test results that doesn't necessarily correlate with an increase in new daily infections. You could have peaked on the infections but mask that with increased testing to identify a larger fraction of the people infected.

One caveat: IHME projection is based on modeling the results of the restrictions. They didn't start modeling in restrictions in Texas until the Govs statewide order on Apr 2, even though most of the population (DFW, Houston, Austin area, San Antonio, Waco, BCS, etc were under a stay Home order at least a week prior to that). They also don't appear to be factoring in the non-essential business closures even though most of the population is in areas with non-essential business closure. So, the peak date projections could be off based on the start date they use for restrictions. That is, the major metro areas should peak earlier based on the earlier stay home orders.

One thought: the projections show max projected resource utilization well below hospital capacity. If the goal is to ensure sufficient hospital capacity, we may have flattened too much.
Reveille
AG
good_ag said:

Dr. Coates,

We are projected to peak April 30th currently at about 71 deaths per day.
Reveille
AG
Safe at Home said:

As someone who was going through cancer treatments this time a year ago, my heart really goes out to people who can't get the treatments they need now because of the virus. It's stressful enough dealing with a major disease even when you can get treated on schedule.

But if I really thought that there was a 5% chance this virus would kill me if I became infected, I might have to think twice about going to the ER if I thought I was having a heart attack.

I've found your daily updates invaluable Dr. Coates, so I will ask this as respectfully as I can: do you think it's useful to post the daily update on fatality rate based on the number of officially confirmed cases? I know you have addressed this before, and you yourself have said that we can't really know the real denominator. Would you answer this - what would be your best estimate for the number of people that have actually been infected with the virus compared to the number of official cases?
Who knows but gives us a way to measure the peaks. We are looking at new cases and deaths are a way to measure the peaks. It will allow us to see the improvements when they occur. But everyone always asks about it so I just keep it in there. Actually, I added Houston and Denton because of complaints that I wasn't including there numbers too. Now people in Wisconsin, Arkansas, Alabama and Michigan have all asked me to include their numbers but I told them I don't have the time but sent them a link where they can find them daily.
BiochemAg97
AG
Reveille said:

Safe at Home said:

Who knows but gives us a way to measure the peaks. We are looking at new cases and deaths are a way to measure the peaks. It will allow us to see the improvements when they occur. But everyone always asks about it so I just keep it in there. Actually, I added Houston and Denton because of complaints that I wasn't including there numbers too. Now people in Wisconsin, Arkansas, Alabama and Michigan have all asked me to include their numbers but I told them I don't have the time but sent them a link where they can find them daily.
Guess I shouldn't bother asking for Austin area then. Lol

Don't worry, I know where to find the numbers myself.
Big Al 1992
AG
Posted elsewhere but thought I'd get the docs thoughts -
When folks say over 80% that died from Covid19 had comorbidities can't that be said about folks that die from heart failure, pneumonia, cancer, stroke - that 80% of those folks had some type of comorbidity also? (ie obesity, COPD, diabetes, blood pressure) So would Covid19 be acting similar?
Reveille
AG
AggieMD04 said:

In regards to people waiting too long to see a doctor -

In my ER, we have most definitely seen evidence of this. Our patient numbers are about 40% of what they usually are. The patients we do see are much sicker than usual. This points to the fact that we may have been a bit TOO aggressive in telling people to stay away from hospitals and doctor offices unless they really need to be there.

The other unintended consequence of this is that hospitals are losing money at insanely high rates. The patient volumes are down, and all elective surgeries are cancelled. Our hospital system is bleeding literal millions of dollars per month right now. They have cut nurses' hours, APP coverage, and even physicians' hours in our ER. The PAs I work with are losing about 50% of their hours as the hospital attempts to make up for lost revenue. I, as an ER physician, am losing about 30% of my hours. To their credit, even our administrators (GASP!) took a 30% salary cut.

This is why I get really angry when people talk about how this might be some kind of money making conspiracy. If so, I find it difficult to imagine who is actually making money on this deal. Every doc I know is facing salary cuts and there are hospitals on the verge of shutting down completely. To say that we in the medical field are all in on some kind of conspiracy is a slap in the face to us and the sacrifices, both financial and physical, that we are making.

To be clear - that rant isn't directed at anyone here. I just see these things floating around on social media and it drives me crazy.
I completely understand! I agree and the Fear of Covid may be doing as much harm or more than Covid itself. Someone asked if I was frustrated and I try to prevent too much personal information on the board. But I was emailed from the state to fill out a death certificate on one of my patient's. I looked in her chart and while she has a lot of medical issues she was fine in December.

I called her son and asked him what happened, he said his mom was feeling bad for weeks but would not go to the ER, my office or cardiologist because she was too afraid of catching Covid being over 70 with risk factors. She skipped her follow up appointments with me and the cardiologist. Her ankles were swelling up so much that they could barely get socks on her and her shoes would not fit. Then one morning his sister could not get a hold of their mom and they found her deceased from congestive heart failure.

I am having way too many serious or even critically ill patients calling or finally coming into the office because of the fact they are too scared to go to the emergency room. We end up sending them there anyways. But we have to find a way to better communicate to the public the importance of maintaining routine care.

Utilize the emergency room if you are very sick. Just because Covid is out there it does not mean that other chronic illnesses go away. In addition just because you go to an ER does not mean you will even catch Covid, there are so many precautions being taken that it is very unlikely you will catch there. Much more likely to get in the public.

I too get angry when I hear about the conspiracy theories when we are out here risking our lives everyday to save theirs. We have sacrificed just about every minute of our time for months. I literally work 14+ hours per day almost every day of the week. Most of it for no pay! When not seeing patients we are researching and reading to do our best for patients. So I sympathize with you and thank you and every other healthcare worker for all you are doing. I know you have sacrificed many things and I appreciated the hard work you do. I depend on my emergency room daily and I will pray for all of you.
Reveille
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Reveille said:

Safe at Home said:

LOL Yyou made me laugh! BiochemAg you have been very helpful to me and everyone here. So if I remember I will add in Austin for you!!!
PPlayboy87
AG
We know all you docs, nurses, and healthcare workers are busting your tails on this stuff. (Well, except the ones being furloughed due to this.) Know that we are all very grateful to y'all for the sacrifices you are making as well as the great service you are rendering.
fig96
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Posted elsewhere but thought I'd get the docs thoughts -
When folks say over 80% that died from Covid19 had comorbidities can't that be said about folks that die from heart failure, pneumonia, cancer, stroke - that 80% of those folks had some type of comorbidity also? (ie obesity, COPD, diabetes, blood pressure) So would Covid19 be acting similar?
I think this is a really interesting question. There's often (almost always?) contributing factors in the types of deaths you mentioned but you don't generally hear people microanalyzing the cause of death.

I get why we want to clearly define that in the current situation, but it seems like it's generally not that simple (from my layperson perspective at least).
McInnis
AG
Reveille said:

Who knows but gives us a way to measure the peaks.
No one knows for sure, but a couple of smart doctors from Stanford think the actual number of cases exceeds the official count by orders of magnitude. One of them, Dr. Bhattacharya was interviewed by Tucker Carlson a couple of nights ago and made that case. And the point was made that if you thought the chance you would die from the virus was 3 in 100, your actions (which would include going to the doctor if you are sick) would be different than if you thought it was 1 in 1,000.

Dr. Bhattacharya of Standford University

maroonbeansnrice
AG
Safe at Home said:

OK. And I'm not criticizing you Safe At Home, and I'm slightly concerned about the docs on this board (unles I missed it) weighing in.

WTF? If I am having a heart attack I am going to the ER, Covid be damned.
“It ain’t like it used to be.”
-Jimbo Fisher
Reveille
AG
Safe at Home said:

Reveille said:

Who knows but gives us a way to measure the peaks.
No one knows for sure, but a couple of smart doctors from Stanford think the actual number of cases exceeds the official count by orders of magnitude. One of them, Dr. Bhattacharya was interviewed by Tucker Carlson a couple of nights ago and made that case. And the point was made that if you thought the chance you would die from the virus was 3 in 100, your actions (which would include going to the doctor if you are sick) would be different than if you thought it was 1 in 1,000.

Dr. Bhattacharya of Standford University

I have said from the beginning that the actual fatality rate will likely be around 0.3 to 0.6 when the asymptomatic people are added in
Shooz in Katy
AG
Not just the a asymptomatic people but also the thousands like me who had every symptom with a clinical diagnosis but no test since I wasn't high risk. Recovered at home. There have to be many thousands like me who didn't make it into the counts. Than add in all the asympts. I guess we will all be counted someday when we get antibody tested.
Reveille
AG
Schu in Mizzou said:

Not just the a asymptomatic people but also the thousands like me who had every symptom with a clinical diagnosis but no test since I wasn't high risk. Recovered at home. There have to be many thousands like me who didn't make it into the counts. Than add in all the asympts. I guess we will all be counted someday when we get antibody tested.

The more the better as it will dramatically help slow down the virus.
McInnis
AG
maroonbeansnrice said:

OK. And I'm not criticizing you Safe At Home, and I'm slightly concerned about the docs on this board (unles I missed it) weighing in.

WTF? If I am having a heart attack I am going to the ER, Covid be damned.
Well, ok, I was exaggerating to make a point but I know that doesn't usually come across well in a forum like this. So let me try again:

If I had a lump in my neck that wouldn't go away, I might be reluctant to go to my doctor's office to get it checked if I really thought there was a 5% chance I would die if I became infected. As I said I underwent cancer treatment last year, so this example isn't hypothetical.

And I guess the engineer in me finds the practice of taking the quotient of two numbers, one of which is not known by better than an order of magnitude, and representing that quotient to two places past the decimal as unsound. It implies a confidence in the precision of the results that I don't think Dr. Coates believes is warranted.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
You in health care be careful. I just saw that from my hold home in Laredo, a large number of employess of Laredo Medical Center all had Covid and it was traced to one patient that was treated. No symptoms and nothing to alert them. So please take care.
BiochemAg97
AG
Reveille said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Reveille said:

Safe at Home said:

LOL Yyou made me laugh! BiochemAg you have been very helpful to me and everyone here. So if I remember I will add in Austin for you!!!
you really don't need to. I have the Williamson County and Travis County numbers always open in a browser tab.
Caleb12
Doc, any perspective we should have on this report from Bloomberg and a few other sources ? The head researcher seems very very confident.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-11/coronavirus-vaccine-could-be-ready-in-six-months-times

Seems like if everything goes right they might have the vaccine for widespread population in September.
Reveille
AG
Caleb12 said:

Doc, any perspective we should have on this report from Bloomberg and a few other sources ? The head researcher seems very very confident.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-11/coronavirus-vaccine-could-be-ready-in-six-months-times

Seems like if everything goes right they might have the vaccine for widespread population in September.
I have seen this article and while it would be great to have a vaccine by fall and would go a long ways towards having everything back to normal, it sounds very optimistic instead of realistic to me. We also have to be careful not to rush a vaccine that causes some significant side effect giving the anti-vaxxers more ammunition to scare everyone away from using the vaccine. This is definitely a question for biochemAg97 as he would know more about the logistics of this. The University of Pittsburgh I believe is picking up the research from the initial SARS-COV virus and thus they have a huge head start on the vaccine and they are shooting for December but that also seems optimistic to me.

Granitestate
Just in case you have not seen this yet.

Analysis of the mutation dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 reveals the spread history and emergence of RBD mutant with lower ACE2 binding affinity

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.09.034942v1

Highlights
  • Based on the currently available genome sequence data, we proved that SARS-COV-2 genome has a much lower mutation rate and genetic diversity than SARS during the 2002-2003 outbreak.
  • The spike (S) protein encoding gene of SARS-COV-2 is found relatively more conserved than other protein-encoding genes, which is a good indication for the ongoing antiviral drug and vaccine development.
  • Minimum Evolution phylogeny analysis revealed the putative original status of SARS-CoV-2 and the early-stage spread history.
  • We confirmed a previously reported rearrangement in the S protein arrangement of SARS-COV-2, and propose that this rearrangement should have occurred between human SARS-CoV and a bat SARS-CoV, at a time point much earlier before SARS-COV-2 transmission to human.
  • We provided first evidence that a mutated SARS-COV-2 with reduced human ACE2 receptor binding affinity have emerged in India based on a sample collected on 27th January 2020.

Reveille
AG
Today's update!

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2670807409868866/?sfnsn=mo
CowtownAg06
AG
Could you translate that for a finance major?
BiochemAg97
AG
Reveille said:

Caleb12 said:

I have seen this article and while it would be great to have a vaccine by fall and would go a long ways towards having everything back to normal, it sounds very optimistic instead of realistic to me. We also have to be careful not to rush a vaccine that causes some significant side effect giving the anti-vaxxers more ammunition to scare everyone away from using the vaccine. This is definitely a question for biochemAg97 as he would know more about the logistics of this. The University of Pittsburgh I believe is picking up the research from the initial SARS-COV virus and thus they have a huge head start on the vaccine and they are shooting for December but that also seems optimistic to me.

It is baffling to me why this oxford team thinks they will be months ahead of everyone else when they haven't even started clinical trials yet. I guess it is possible the clinical trial schedule is shorter in the UK but that seems risky. Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be something UK/Europe approves rapidly but turns out in the end to be dangerous. There is certainly precedent in thalidomide.

As for my guess as to when we have a vaccine, I'm not sure as to the timeframe on clinical trials here in the US. There were some phase 1 trials started in the US about a month ago, and it appears we have some moving into Phase 2 now. The most difficult part is determine if the vaccine is protective (reduces the number of infections) and since injecting people with virus is frowned upon, you have to wait for sufficient numbers of the control group to get infected naturally and hope the test group has considerably less infections. That is much easier to do when you have an virus running wild, but no so easy when the virus is contained.

Once we have a vaccine that works, I think we can produce it faster than the usual almost a year for the annual flu virus. For starters, there are 3 centers of innovation for advanced development and manufacturing. The one at A&M is supposed to be able to manufacture 50 mil vaccine doses in 4 months. I believe that was a primary requirement of the program, meaning the other 2 should be able to as well. 150 mil doses isn't enough to dose the whole US, only about half, but if you limit vaccinations to those negative for IgG, you could get to the magical herd immunity level that would significantly slow the virus. Plus, we should be able to get sufficient doses for everyone else by the 8 month date either by resetting the CIADMs for another 4 month surge or allowing more traditional manufacturing to complete their process.

It also depends on the vaccine technology used. Some of the technologies being tried are to inoculate with proteins grown in yeast cells. There is a lot of capacity in the world to grow yeast for bioproduction of medicine, and they grow pretty fast. Other concepts involve growing the vaccine ingredients in plants, such as tobacco
or corn, that could produce a lot of vaccine in the few months it takes to grow a crop and scaling just requires more fields (or more likely greenhouse space).

Bottom line... I think we can have a lot of vaccine doses within months once we have a vaccine approved. But I don't see getting through clinical trials in a couple of months time to get us widespread vaccine by Sept. Would be great though to be able to get vaccinated in time for football season.
Tom Cardy
AG
The virus appears to be unlikely to mutate often, meaning that it will be easier to develop vaccines and treatment that are effective for a longer period of time. There is a "version" of the virus in India that appears slightly different than what has been observed elsewhere, but may be easier to deal with.
BiochemAg97
AG
Reveille said:

Today's update!

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2670807409868866/?sfnsn=mo

Thanks for the shout out.
Granitestate
A research paper shows the average incubation period (95% of cases) is 5.1 days.

97.5% of those who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days (CI, 8.2 to 15.6 days) of infection. These estimates imply that, under conservative assumptions, 101 out of every 10 000 cases (99th percentile, 482) will develop symptoms after 14 days of active monitoring or quarantine.

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2762808/incubation-period-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-from-publicly-reported

Contact tracing can help us identify suspects based on duration of proximity to an identified positive. Is the guidance to self quarantine the suspect for 14 days or would 6 days with a negative test result be sufficient? Essentially does the benefit of self-quarantine from day 7 thru 14 for <5% outweigh the risk? If so, what about the 99% percentile? Should self quarantine extend to 30 days?

Thank you

FaithfulAg04
AG
Checking in on Worldometer (siap)....

NYC has reported an additional 3,778 deaths between March 11 and April 13. I think that is based on new CDC guidelines. Anyway, for now April 14 was updated from 2,407 to 6,185. They will attempt to reallocate these additional deaths once the historical data is compiled.
Complete Idiot
China bumped up their deaths a lot too. Like 50%.
BiochemAg97
AG
Granitestate said:

A research paper shows the average incubation period (95% of cases) is 5.1 days.

97.5% of those who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days (CI, 8.2 to 15.6 days) of infection. These estimates imply that, under conservative assumptions, 101 out of every 10 000 cases (99th percentile, 482) will develop symptoms after 14 days of active monitoring or quarantine.

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2762808/incubation-period-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-from-publicly-reported

Contact tracing can help us identify suspects based on duration of proximity to an identified positive. Is the guidance to self quarantine the suspect for 14 days or would 6 days with a negative test result be sufficient? Essentially does the benefit of self-quarantine from day 7 thru 14 for <5% outweigh the risk? If so, what about the 99% percentile? Should self quarantine extend to 30 days?

Thank you

Thanks for the reference. 95% should be good enough with contact tracing.

Complete isolation of infectious individuals is an unrealistic goal. Given that, the goal should be to control the spread to keep from going exponential to the point of overwhelming the medical system. That requires reducing the effective R(t) to close to 1 or below. At 1 we have a steady state of active cases (or new daily cases), at below 1 we see a decrease in the active cases as new infections aren't replaced fast enough to keep up with cases resolving. Given the R(0) is estimated at somewhere between 2 and 3, if you can isolate at least 2/3 of cases before infecting new people, you should be able to accomplish that goal. 95% should be good enough, even if you have some level of asymptomatic carriers out there that are never identified.

There are also risks of diving the infection rate too low. 1) we delay naturally acquired immunity. That will be a bigger issue the longer a vaccine takes to test/ approve/ deploy. 2) people will become complacent. If there is a constant notable number of active infections, people will remain engaged in the protective measures longer. If the rate of infection basically drops to 0, people will be quicker to return to old habits. That would spell disaster if we don't have a vaccine and have a resurgence of viral activity in the fall and we will end up shutting things down again.
First Page Last Page
Page 55 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.