Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,616 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
aggierogue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Perhaps a silly question, but can this virus survive in a refrigerated environment? For example, if someone infected handled a milk jug at a grocery store, how long could the virus last under refrigeration?
jakester03
AG
I have a box of nitrile gloves but they say not for medical use. Can I still donate them?
Old Sarge
AG
Reveille,

First, thank you for the updates, your bravery and efforts.

I would like to delve a little deeper regarding to Biologics treatments and the virus. I have been on Humira for approximately 4 years. Original/official diagnosis was AS (although tested negative for the HLA-B27 gene), but a couple years ago, my Rheumatologist looked back and mentioned getting off Humira because my response to treatment was "remarkable", and she is involved in clinical trials, and that is was possible that I had had a Reactive Arthritis that triggered the symptoms. Starting in late February, we had started weaning me off and that process was going to take 6 months. I called the office 3/10/20 and asked if I should continue in light of the virus, but did not get to speak with the doctor. The advice was to stay on my course of treatment, That was before the SHTF to its current state. I was out of country (Belize, still no cases reported and not a hot zone) for a week, returning Friday, so had not called the doctor during that time to inquire anymore.

My next injection is scheduled for Tuesday this week. With the current state of medical care in Texas, I am not sure I will be able to contact the doctor to re-inquire. I read your comments on one of your well laid out updates regarding what I assume are Biologic meds, and the greatly increased chance of worsening an Coronavirus Covid-19 infection if one is acquired. I am 54 years of age. If I cannot reach my Rheumatologist or PCP by Tuesday to get their take, should I seriously consider suspending treatment altogether for now?

I would guess on all of Texags that there are others like me that would like some additional information and could possibly be wondering the same thing.

Thank you again for the reasons opening my post!

Silvertaps
AG
My sister is a radiation therapist at Southwestern Medical in Dallas. They're working 6 hours a day splitting the day and they have a designated room and therapists to treat possible covid patients and patients who are positive. They aren't wearing anything because they're afraid when they need them the most they'll be short. They're using things sparingly. They get no lunch and they shut down all coffee and drink machines. Masks apparently have a short life span. For them to work properly they would need a new mask basically for every patient They're doing what they can to screen patients as they come in.

Obviously easy for me to be very appreciative to those in the medical field that can't "isolate", and continue to put others needs ahead of themselves. Thank you to those who continue the fight and have contributed on this thread. The information you provide means more than you know.
DeWrecking Crew
aggierogue said:

Perhaps a silly question, but can this virus survive in a refrigerated environment? For example, if someone infected handled a milk jug at a grocery store, how long could the virus last under refrigeration?

Not an expert of any kind but I've heard several times from reputable sources that the virus prefers temperatures in the refrigeration range
BuddysBud
AG
Silvertaps said:

My sister is a radiation therapist at Southwestern Medical in Dallas. They're working 6 hours a day splitting the day and they have a designated room and therapists to treat possible covid patients and patients who are positive. They aren't wearing anything because they're afraid when they need them the most they'll be short. They're using things sparingly. They get no lunch and they shut down all coffee and drink machines. Masks apparently have a short life span. For them to work properly they would need a new mask basically for every patient They're doing what they can to screen patients as they come in.

Obviously easy for me to be very appreciative to those in the medical field that can't "isolate", and continue to put others needs ahead of themselves. Thank you to those who continue the fight and have contributed on this thread. The information you provide means more than you know.

This is a great reason to avoid the hospitals unless you are in dire need. The lack of PPE puts both the healthcare workers and those there unnecessary at risk.
6.5 Swede
Harbor Freight is stepping up Big Time! They are donating all of their masks, face shields and gloves!

https://em.harborfreight.com/pub/sf/ResponseForm?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DAQpglLjHJlYQGpc73GRAzct7zezduNOezaTIBKjLEMzbvK3TKzbNiPs64vzbD9RiyzfnpuJVXMtX%3DAQpglLjHJlYQGpa31ETIomzdKKzcCog4zayiTCyt3TcYgRgPIPFhv0ThRrrzdNYezgq3&_ei_=EtSqcOgLjlfxj3my6fbbRJMO4XpzFg&_di_=6b49lkq58cfhf3ract1mpla4njbikuvnulsid5jqdapvh8cipv7g

Stupe
S
THAT kind of thing is why we need manufacturing here and not overseas.
Reveille
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

Should a healthy individual with no reason to suspect they have an infection be taking any zinc in addition to what they consume by food and a daily multivitamin? Vitamin provides 11mg and I have 50mg zinc tablets here that I'm not currently taking.
Theoretically if you eat a healthy diet you likely have enough zinc but you take up to 10x the daily amount safely. I think it is reasonable of whatever you can afford to take one zinc pill per day.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stupe
S
Quote:

Mid Jan, WHO tweeted that China said there was no person to person transmission. China has a big credibility issue in this one.
Zero credibility.
Reveille
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

My son is now a grown man, but as an infant and child had severe chronic asthma. He had to stay on meds 24 7 and alway had a wheeze not just random attacks. This frequently meant that ordinary colds let do bronchitis or pneumonia;. At about second grade he started outgrowing it. We could go to meds only when he had attacks and gradually the attacks wen away. By age 10 or 11 they were no more.

Now I read that people with asthma are at higher risk. Does that just mean current adults or people who had a childhood history of the problem?
Make sure they keep your asthma well controlled and the increased risk is minimal. Of course practice good hygiene and social distancing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
aggierogue said:

I would guess yes since it prefers temperatures between 40 and 60. I have seen some data that looks to not survive under 0 degrees but most refrigerators I think are around 40 degrees.
DeWrecking Crew
Hi Doc...sincerely appreciate everything you're doing. Do you know if zinc can make you run a little hotter than normal? I've been taking Emergency-C Immune Plus that has zinc in it. I'm normally a 98.4 guy, since I've been taking this, I'm in the low 99 range. I was in Japan for a week and got back 8 days ago, like most, I'm over analyzing every little thing.
Reveille
AG
Old Sarge said:

Reveille,

First, thank you for the updates, your bravery and efforts.

I would like to delve a little deeper regarding to Biologics treatments and the virus. I have been on Humira for approximately 4 years. Original/official diagnosis was AS (although tested negative for the HLA-B27 gene), but a couple years ago, my Rheumatologist looked back and mentioned getting off Humira because my response to treatment was "remarkable", and she is involved in clinical trials, and that is was possible that I had had a Reactive Arthritis that triggered the symptoms. Starting in late February, we had started weaning me off and that process was going to take 6 months. I called the office 3/10/20 and asked if I should continue in light of the virus, but did not get to speak with the doctor. The advice was to stay on my course of treatment, That was before the SHTF to its current state. I was out of country (Belize, still no cases reported and not a hot zone) for a week, returning Friday, so had not called the doctor during that time to inquire anymore.

My next injection is scheduled for Tuesday this week. With the current state of medical care in Texas, I am not sure I will be able to contact the doctor to re-inquire. I read your comments on one of your well laid out updates regarding what I assume are Biologic meds, and the greatly increased chance of worsening an Coronavirus Covid-19 infection if one is acquired. I am 54 years of age. If I cannot reach my Rheumatologist or PCP by Tuesday to get their take, should I seriously consider suspending treatment altogether for now?

I would guess on all of Texags that there are others like me that would like some additional information and could possibly be wondering the same thing.

Thank you again for the reasons opening my post!

Because biologics are immunosupressive I would definitely consider holding it for awhile. However, we are now using some experimental trials in even treating patients with COVID-19 with biologics. This on the surface sounds crazy but the virus they believe is using our own immune system against us. It trys so aggressively to fight the virus that is causing tremendous inflammation in the lungs leading to ARDS. So I would definitely try again to get in touch with your rheumatologist or even PCP and discuss this.
AggieJ2002
AG
Thanks doc .. the asthma question makes me feel a lot better being in that boat.

Another question, does have an auto-immune disease make you more at risk? Or is it only if you are on a drug like prednisone to treat the AI disease that makes you more at risk. I have 2 AI diseases but am only on Singulair to treat it thankfully.
Reveille
AG
BuddysBud said:

Silvertaps said:

This is a great reason to avoid the hospitals unless you are in dire need. The lack of PPE puts both the healthcare workers and those there unnecessary at risk.
THIS X 1000

Please if you can stay away from the ER and hospitals. We need to preserve our resources there for seriously ill.
Reveille
AG
Stupe said:

Quote:

Mid Jan, WHO tweeted that China said there was no person to person transmission. China has a big credibility issue in this one.
Zero credibility.
I don't trust anything coming out of China right now. I agree Zero credibility.
Reveille
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

Hi Doc...sincerely appreciate everything you're doing. Do you know if zinc can make you run a little hotter than normal? I've been taking Emergency-C Immune Plus that has zinc in it. I'm normally a 98.4 guy, since I've been taking this, I'm in the low 99 range. I was in Japan for a week and got back 8 days ago, like most, I'm over analyzing every little thing.
Not that I am aware of but just about everybody is over analyzing things right now. I would not worry about it.
74OA
AG
Reveille said:

Stupe said:

Quote:

Zero credibility.
I don't trust anything coming out of China right now. I agree Zero credibility.

Never forget..........
RCR06
AG
A couple people mentioned it earlier and I've been thinking about it for several days. My work background is in health and safety. We mostly used half face respirators with N95 of N100 filters(link posted below). With these they would require cleaning chich can be done a variety of ways fairly easily instead of throwing them away. The filters are easily changed. Not sure what would be needed to prevent virus transmission between patients, but if they are asking people to use the same mask all day this could be another option. These half face plastic respirators are about $8-10 and a set of filters is around $5. More expensive than the N95 masks, but are more durable and can be used longer.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Half-Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator-Assembly-6191-07001-AAD-P100-Small-24-EA-Case/?N=5002385+8709322+8711405+3294759262&preselect=8720539+8720550+8720785+8726639&rt=rud
jjdad1111
Helpful for mask re-use? (Ultraviolet)

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/unmc-experts-develop-process-to-decontaminate-masks-used-in-coronavirus/article_d6a8df62-3c58-51fd-97c0-05ec4cc2c8d1.html
Old Sarge
AG
RCR06 said:

A couple people mentioned it earlier and I've been thinking about it for several days. My work background is in health and safety. We mostly used half face respirators with N95 of N100 filters(link posted below). With these they would require cleaning chich can be done a variety of ways fairly easily instead of throwing them away. The filters are easily changed. Not sure what would be needed to prevent virus transmission between patients, but if they are asking people to use the same mask all day this could be another option. These half face plastic respirators are about $8-10 and a set of filters is around $5. More expensive than the N95 masks, but are more durable and can be used longer.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Half-Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator-Assembly-6191-07001-AAD-P100-Small-24-EA-Case/?N=5002385+8709322+8711405+3294759262&preselect=8720539+8720550+8720785+8726639&rt=rud

This.

I was thinking this, and also they have half masks that we use for supplied air work at plants that require work in very poor/poisonous air conditions. No filters or masks required. This supplied air can be run off of 6 packs of large bottles, 12 packs of large bottles, and also specialty trailers set up that actually capture good air and compress it for transition to the masks via hose. To me, that would be the hardest part is the hose management. Might be able to hang them from the drop in ceiling grid and have hose "drops" and the doc/nurse could work in a defined radius and keep the hoses off the floor. This would be an endless source of clean air. Bottles are refillable, the trailer only requires a couple of people to operate.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
You could run retractable lines pretty easily. That's what we do in our manufacturing shop for some heavy manual grinding operations that produce dust requiring respiratory protection.

That would keep hoses out of the way while they work
RCR06
AG
Supplied air to me would be more a last resort type of thing because of all the logistics, but it would work if needed.
Reveille
AG
jjdad1111 said:

Helpful for mask re-use? (Ultraviolet)

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/unmc-experts-develop-process-to-decontaminate-masks-used-in-coronavirus/article_d6a8df62-3c58-51fd-97c0-05ec4cc2c8d1.html
Funny you found that. I have ordered an extra high power UV light for AC systems that I hope to get soon. Next weekend if it comes in time I plan to cut a hole into a large plastic storage tote and make a decontamination unit for our masks.

It is hard finding UV lights now people have made a run on them too unfortunately.
Ornithopter
AG
Many wastewater treatment plants have UV systems. In an emergency, could they remove them to use for mask disinfection?

I don't think you'd want to remove them from a treated water plant.
BANA89
AG
DubFalls said:

Many wastewater treatment plants have UV systems. In an emergency, could they remove them to use for mask disinfection?

I don't think you'd want to remove them from a treated water plant.
Uh, no
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
tonytx05
AG
Forgive me if someone already posted this, I lose track of what info I've seen where with so much going on. I'm curious what the docs think of this report from Imperial College that says we may have to cycle on and off the social distancing long term until a vaccine is widely available. If this turns out to be correct, this is going to be much more than just work at home and eat take out for a few weeks.

Also, thank you for all the info y'all are sharing here!

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Kind of a weird question.

I work at a hospital. A patient passed away but was considered a possible case for covid-19 at the time of death. Nobody notified me of this. I took their body to the morgue. I was in their hospital room about 2.5 hours after they were pronounced dead.

My question is should I be worried? I had gloves on but no mask. From what I understand the virus can last in the air for up to 4 hours or so. I understand that they were just considered a probable but just to ease my mind and actually out of curiosity, I'm trying to figure out if I am at risk. Thanks
Badace52
AG
JimbosHatBarelyFits said:

Kind of a weird question.

I work at a hospital. A patient passed away but was considered a possible case for covid-19 at the time of death. Nobody notified me of this. I took their body to the morgue. I was in their hospital room about 2.5 hours after they were pronounced dead.

My question is should I be worried? I had gloves on but no mask. From what I understand the virus can last in the air for up to 4 hours or so. I understand that they were just considered a probable but just to ease my mind and actually out of curiosity, I'm trying to figure out if I am at risk. Thanks

It depends on if the patient had any procedures done which could aerosolize the virus.

As of right now the more common ones we are seeing are intubation, positive pressure ventilation and nebulizer treatments.

If they did have those done and it was still happening up until the patients death, you may have had some level of exposure but if not you were probably not significantly exposed.
brownbrick
AG
Just be careful with the UV lighting. 20-30 minutes and switch other objects in. It will start to degrade objects alot more quickly than the sun.
Badace52
AG
tonytx05 said:

Forgive me if someone already posted this, I lose track of what info I've seen where with so much going on. I'm curious what the docs think of this report from Imperial College that says we may have to cycle on and off the social distancing long term until a vaccine is widely available. If this turns out to be correct, this is going to be much more than just work at home and eat take out for a few weeks.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Recurrences of outbreaks are definitely possible, but we just don't know at this point what will happen when/if we slow this virus down and subsequently resume normal social interaction.
BiochemAg97
AG
tonytx05 said:

I think you cycle the isolation, but keep the social distancing in place. Also, when we get over the peak or have flattened the curve and have the testing capability, we can switch to a test, quarantine, trace like SK. We don't have to stay in lockdown if we can keep a lid on the issue with extensive monitoring.

It would be good if we got some guidance on criteria for when to ease restrictions and when to ratchet back up. So far, the feds are leaving the shelter-in-place orders to the states, which makes sense because each state is in a different place.

Banks Monkey
AG
tonytx05 said:

Yup totally possible assuming no adequate treatment, vaccine, or testing takes place. We will find out soon enough in places like China, Singapore, and Italy first
Reveille
AG
Latest Update - BTHO Covid-19

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2648146115468329/?sfnsn=mo
First Page Last Page
Page 28 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.