Jefferson County/Golden Triangle

8,837 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bassmaster
Yep66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In-laws have 2' of water in their house in Orange. They have lived there since 1967 and its never flooded before. Will probably try and go down Friday from DFW if I can get in.
Flexbone
A friend has a family trapped in their house in Beaumont: 5825 longwood street
Beaumont 77707

Anyone know who to contact re: rescue efforts?
Aggie Pharmer
AG
You can go to www.houstonharveyrescue.com and enter in their information there. They assign it's triage color and ID number. From what I have been hearing the boaters are using this site to coordinate rescues.
GarlandAg2012
AG

911 or 409-983-8600 (pretty sure the tweet has a typo)

City is also recommending hanging a white towel or sheet to flag down boats.
Aries
Cajun Navy had to stop rescues due to the current very early this morning.

Our old house in Orange, which didn't have any flooding during Ike, has water in it. Looks like the entire neighborhood is under a few feet of water, which means the houses at the entrance of the neighborhood probably have at least 10 feet of water in them.

My best friend has lots of family in Port Arthur & Port Neches. Everyone she knows has either a few inches of water or chest deep in water in their house.

Lots of people I know are asking for rescue on fb.

Just heartbreaking.
MouthBQ98
AG
Those low power flatbottom stump jumpers don't have the power or speed to run in fast moving water, or the taller sides to do it safely.

Looking at the map, the real problem is that nobody can get to the area by road right now.
Rachel 98
AG
What is the most useful type of boat setup in this type of situation?
ellebee
Anyone have any idea how Lee Lane in Vidor is doing?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
RM98 said:

What is the most useful type of boat setup in this type of situation?

MouthBQ98
AG
I'd imagine a pocket hull or tunnel hull shallow v or flatbottom with an efficient 50-90hp motor that can run all day on a tank of fuel and is lighter weight and easy to launch. You want shallow draft, adequate power, and fairly light weight should you get hung on debris or grounded.
TRM
AG
Anyone helping with any evacuations in Port Arthur? My co-worker's grandmother has been out of contact since 1 am.
Aries
Try Clint Nash 337-304-4983 with Louisiana Navy.
TRM
AG
Thank you.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Got back from Houston at 0500 this morning. Watching Beaumont/Port A closely. Any good resource for water rescue needs out there, or info in currents?

May try to talk my neighbor in to getting his boat back out for another run if we can get in from College Station. I think I saw 90 was open from the beltway.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Just heard on one of the Zello channels that the National Guard are not letting rescuers into Port Arthur as there is too much danger to the rescuers. Wasn't clear if it's danger from the rising water or danger from people needing to be rescued.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

Just heard on one of the Zello channels that the National Guard are not letting rescuers into Port Arthur as there is too much danger to the rescuers. Wasn't clear if it's danger from the rising water or danger from people needing to be rescued.

Thanks. I suspect it's current related issues. We had a heckuva time in some spots yesterday. I will listen to Zello.
H6RBW
AG
Anyone had eyes on how bad things are on Baker Road in Beaumont? Sandbagged my Mom's house there on Monday afternoon, but won't be able to get back down there until tomorrow morning.
MosesRAB-93
AG
My grandma's former restaurant - the Little House - in Kirbyville (now Elijah's Cafe) is flooded.
drandolph
AG
Does anyone have any information on Lynwood near Stadium in Vidor? We have family there we cannot get in touch with.
Big Cat `93
AG
MosesRAB-93 said:

My grandma's former restaurant - the Little House - in Kirbyville (now Elijah's Cafe) is flooded.

Oh man. My parents like eating there.
RCR06
AG
Drove down baker road and it didn't appear to have flooded. Didn't see any debris/water lines on houses and no piles of carpet by the road.
RCR06
AG
No idea about that street specifically but vidor got hit by the rain pretty hard yesterday and last night. Hope they're safe.
H6RBW
AG
Thanks. I appreciate the info.
RCR06
AG
The other thing I wanted to mention is that they had power as well.
RCR06
AG
Happened to wake up earlier and saw a news release that Beaumont is going to lose water pressure tonight. The pumps that supply the city water plant are underwater. They're not sure how long this will last as they can't assess it or fix it until the water goes down.
Yep66
AG
What is the best way to get from Fort Worth to Orange right now?
MouthBQ98
AG
Beaumont appears almost cut off from the outside. Best bet is to head towards Houston then try 90, but stretches of 90 appear to have high water too.
Aries
By boat.

The police in Orange are asking for supplies to be boated in.
Watchful Ag
AG
Ryan Brauninger said:

Three doors down from my parents home...the house I grew up in.

Word I got from back home is that Port Arthur is in a bad way, and folks in Bridge City and Orangefield are about to have to make some major decisions.
Yep, Orangefield and Bridge City got hit very hard. Heard this morning that Beaumont's water system went down overnight. Sad part is, they have no way of getting out.
kelclarke
There were multiple rescues in Mid-County and they have been ongoing. My subdivision was evacuated (Stonegate) and today (Thursday) you can only get in by boat. My house is one of the townhouses on the court next to the canal. The neighbor across the street had 3 feet of water at last report. another Aggie reported that his mom did not get any water in her home on Stoneybrook. I am still in BCS working so I will not be down until tomorrow. Port Neches has faired pretty well. The Hughann subdivision is high and dry. Jimmy Johnson and 9th avenue is still underwater. I am trying to figure out the best route. I will be helping at the airport as some of the evacuees are heading out by air. I will take pictures and keep you posted. I will be taking items for anyone who needs them and a 14 ft kayak.
I have rubber boots, waders and I will need to turn of my main breaker with a wooden stick.
kelclarke
GarlandAg2012 said:

My grandmother loves in PA near Jefferson and Gulfway. Anyone know how that part of town is fairing?
That area has flooded as well. The mayor said that almost everyone of the 20,000 homes has water. I do not know how deep at that location though.
halfbean
AG
I came from above Lufkin to Zavalla then over to Jasper on 63 and down thru Kirbyville to Buna and left on 62 to Mauriceville. Keep going straight to Orange.
Aries
Got word that the house I grew up, which has a very high second story, is badly flooded. The new owner posted on FB that she hopes the second story doesn't get water in it. When they got rescued it was at least chest deep & they expect it to get worse. The neighbors across the street from us we know are safe but no one seems to really know where they are. Haven't heard about the other neighbors, all of which we have known at least 25 years.

The police & firefighters have been working non-stop. A wife of a friend of mine is a police officer & he hasn't seen her in 4 days & she is asking for items to be boated into Orange & brought to the police station for the officers....they are running out of supplies. Bridge City, Orangefield, & West Orange ISD all said today that they are closed until further notice.

I could not be more proud of my work & coworkers who are donating so much to go down to the area this weekend. The Jeep Club that is bringing supplies down know they will launch some boats in Vidor & awaiting to hear other locations on where they can get in. She is bringing clothes, LOTS of dog food, LOTS of diapers, baby formula, baby food, bug spray, canned goods, deodorant, toothpaste/brush, pallets of water, etc. She is going to have to bring a trailer tomorrow to work to take everything with her & has loaded up 2 cars each day.

Aries
Where do your in-laws live?
surgeag
AG
My house in orange built in the 1960s (never flooded before) flooded big time. We were stuck on the kitchen table all night as it was the only thing left above water. Both cars under water.

No flood insurance. You live and learn!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.