Rockport/Key Allegro info and updates

12,493 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jgh85Ag
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jersey Girl said:

Chainsaws and insect repellant are big for donations and personal use. Extra socks and work gloves. Gatorade.

The mosquitoes hatched yesterday so it is imperative that you use repellant with DEET even if you are a tough guy. The trucks will be spraying but it doesn't even matter. watch for snakes and other biting insects and critters seeking shelter in brush.

Bring a fire extinguisher. There is no water and you never know. Bring spare water to wash your hands and stuff, and a first aid kit including alcohol and/or hydrogen peroxide if you get scratched by dirty debris.

If you are helping residents, there are specific ways that FEMA wants all the debris arranged for pickup by category. (building materials, brush, glass, etc) You can find visuals of this arrangement online. If you can't find one I can post one.

Vegetation
Electronics
Large Appliances
Construction Debris
Household Garbage
Haz Waste

Best to make it easy on everyone. Take garbage out if you can so it limits the build up (vermin, hunters of vermin).
MouthBQ98
AG
Motel6, Laquinta always have pet rooms.
Pooh Ah
AG
Jethro95 said:

Heading down to Copano Bay in the morning to survey damage at our place. Has anyone driven 239 to 35 through Tivoli and into Copano? We are on 1781.

Thank you for the pictures Jethro, you are a really good Aggie. I owe you some barbecue and beer.
SWCBonfire
AG
For those heading down to Rockport, the locals have set up a "volunteer check in" in the parking lot of the movie theatre (Cinema 4, 2702 Business 35 and Traylor Blvd). If you are going down, Jill or Mary will dispatch you from there to someone that they know is in need. If you have equipment and chainsaws, even better.

Good bull story, a friend and her young son drove down from Georgetown to help her parents clean up in Holiday beach, and the Karnes City football team just showed up and took over. Way to go, badgers!
Hobbes01
AG
I was in Rockport yesterday helping. We signed up with Operation Blessing which is based at Church Unlimited (902 Main Street). Very well organized and have plenty of work orders to be fulfilled. Chainsaws are still very much needed. And insect repellent!
AG
Hobbes01 said:

And insect repellent!
Had to pull over on 35 to check a tire and add fix a flat. The black storm that attacked me was biblical.

Take plenty of repellant and a couple of cans of fix a flat, I never saw what I hit in the road.
Jethro95
AG
It's bad and only going to get worse. I wore two layers with long sleeves and sweat like a dog but it worked. We were still killing the ones that got inside the truck for an hour on our way back.
SWCBonfire
AG
SWCBonfire said:

For those heading down to Rockport, the locals have set up a "volunteer check in" in the parking lot of the movie theatre (Cinema 4, 2702 Business 35 and Traylor Blvd). If you are going down, Jill or Mary will dispatch you from there to someone that they know is in need. If you have equipment and chainsaws, even better.

Bumping this to state that my wife is going to help with the volunteer check in in the Cinema 4 parking lot this weekend, and people with chainsaws and those willing to help remove storm debris are still needed badly in Rockport. They are now using the Zello app under the Rockport Relief channel, and they have formed a 501(3)(c) to deal with the donations and get them to people they personally KNOW are in need. There are exact addresses that they need to dispatch people to, so if you're coming down they would love to have your help.
Pooh Ah
AG
SWCBonfire said:

SWCBonfire said:

Bumping this to state that my wife is going to help with the volunteer check in in the Cinema 4 parking lot this weekend, and people with chainsaws and those willing to help remove storm debris are still needed badly in Rockport. They are now using the Zello app under the Rockport Relief channel, and they have formed a 501(3)(c) to deal with the donations and get them to people they personally KNOW are in need. There are exact addresses that they need to dispatch people to, so if you're coming down they would love to have your help.

Post a pic and I'll look for her.
Pooh Ah
AG
I kid, I kid.

Tell her thanks for volunteering to help others!
jgh85Ag
AG
My sister works in the 911 center in Rockport. She tells me 5 first responders have lost their homes and need housing. Any leads would be appreciated.
YouBet
AG
It feels like Rockport is almost permanently impacted. We were supposed to go down there next month and have cancelled. My FIL house is a little more damaged than initially thought although still way better off than most. But, not inhabitable yet.

A couple of friends here at work who have places there or have family there are now talking about selling and moving away because so much is just shut down.

Edit:. Not sure who they would sell to unless they are just collecting insurance money and walking.
southtexasgolfpro00
AG
I think we will be impacted permanently in certain areas but not as a whole. The power just came back on to the majority of town on Sunday. Don't quit on us just yet, we are just getting started on putting everything back together. I honestly think that we will be better together after this storm.
YouBet
AG
I'm not quitting; I'm just sad for the town right now.

Just disappointed I can't spend my money with the small businesses we usually frequent down there.
southtexasgolfpro00
AG
That's good to hear. The ones that want to come back will be back. I don't think anyone here will not lend a hand to anyone that's willing to work to be build back. Some shops are starting the opening process slowly and Charlotte Plummers actually opened back today. It's just going to take some time. When you do get back down here bring your golf clubs and the round is on me.
SWCBonfire
AG
Wasn't around when Celia hit, but there was still industry around to get things moving again - large seafood companies, RYSCO, etc. Companies that had the logistical ability to help the town in times of need, and employed locals and pumped cash into the economy.

Rockport doesn't have much infrastructure to help it get going again. No hospitals, no major industry, not even a dealership to get your car fixed. It's going to take longer when your main draw is lifestyle, and that lifestyle was destroyed.
Burdizzo
AG
SWCBonfire said:

Wasn't around when Celia hit, but there was still industry around to get things moving again - large seafood companies, RYSCO, etc. Companies that had the logistical ability to help the town in times of need, and employed locals and pumped cash into the economy.

Rockport doesn't have much infrastructure to help it get going again. No hospitals, no major industry, not even a dealership to get your car fixed. It's going to take longer when your main draw is lifestyle, and that lifestyle was destroyed.

What Rockport has is a critical mass of affluent retired people with money, insurance, and political influence. My guess I that within 5 years you won't be able to tell a hurricane came through, and tax revenue will be higher than ever.
AG
southtexasgolfpro00 said:

That's good to hear. The ones that want to come back will be back. I don't think anyone here will not lend a hand to anyone that's willing to work to be build back. Some shops are starting the opening process slowly and Charlotte Plummers actually opened back today. It's just going to take some time. When you do get back down here bring your golf clubs and the round is on me.
My mom is likely headed back this weekend, has a condo to stay at in the country club that a friend owns while she gets the permit process started and repairs on the house. Next time I get down that way and am not part of a work detail, I'll take you up on your round of golf offer but I plan to pay for it and buy drinks. Dollars need to start flowing as much as possible. Just start getting rid of all those skeeters.
mwm
If I may, allow me to give a great deal of thanks to the Lamar VFD. They have been awesome to the residents of their community.
SWCBonfire
AG
Oh, I completely agree with that, it will probably be nicer than ever before. But while five years in the grand scheme of things isn't that long, it will drastically change the makeup of the community even further.
Burdizzo
AG
Yeah, I should clarify. I don't think it will be the same. I think it will be much more expensive to live there. Those that stay will build bigger. Those that sell an leave will be bought out by someone looking for a good deal who will then turn around and put a bunch of money into it. The people that are going to struggle are the ones lower on the economic scale, but they were already getting squeezed out before the hurricane.
AG
Port A is in the same crunch now. Too many weekend visitors and very scarce local work base. Add in the two routes in and out and it is going to be even more crazy later. You are spot on about some lower end selling out and the higher end snapping it up. At least Rockport has more access to a local workforce with more routes in and out. Aransas Pass will be interesting. It was really lagging behind the area and I'm wondering where it's going to end up.
Wodanaz
AG
All, I've got a roofing crew in the area right now to help out. Please let me know who needs us and I'll get you set up. Full contact info is in the contractor sticky thread up top. We'll make this area as beautiful as ever with some hard work and a little bit of time.
southtexasgolfpro00
AG
Looking forward to swinging some stick again soon, just give me a shout when you get down here. The mosquitos are getting better everyday.
jgh85Ag
AG
My sister could use some roofing help. Someone tarped it for her but still needs shingles.
jgh85Ag
AG
I am coming down to help out my sister on Friday. Anybody need anything from San Antonio?
AG
VoreMoar12 said:

All, I've got a roofing crew in the area right now to help out. Please let me know who needs us and I'll get you set up. Full contact info is in the contractor sticky thread up top. We'll make this area as beautiful as ever with some hard work and a little bit of time.
Very cool, thanks for the PM. good bull
AG
jgh85Ag said:

I am coming down to help out my sister on Friday. Anybody need anything from San Antonio?
Work up a good meter loop for mom's house, make sure it can pass code and isn't something Homer Simpson would put together.
jgh85Ag
AG
I may work for SAWS but I am clueless on meters among other things.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.