Houston (The Woodlands, Oak Ridge, Rayford Corridor Area): Updates here

16,584 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TX scallywAG
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They are estimating that as many as 20% of the homes have not been touched at this point, because those people evacuated. Those people are headed back today, so there will still a big need for help.
Honky Tonk Hero
AG
Went over to Timarron today and helped a homeowner, just drove by and asked if they needed help.

It's a disaster over there, lots of help needed.

If you can, bring gloves, large fans, masks, utility knives, and shop vacs.
TXTransplant
We are over here, too, helping a preganant woman whose husband is overseas. It's a mess. Tons of great people helping clean up, delivering food, etc.

There are a bunch of Tomball High football players and coaches on the block where we are. The coaches are telling them what to do to help people. The outpouring of support is amazing.
Farmer1906
AG
My family drove around handing out pizzas to anyone that would take them. Apparently, we weren't the only ones with that idea. Another truck was passing them out too. At least they'll be well fed tonight.
Faithful Ag
I spent the morning at St. Anthony's in The Woodlands getting the donations moved to the Conroe shelter! Amazing to see a gymnasium and a cafeteria full of bedding, clothing, etc. and the St. Teresa Center food shelter filling up with water and food!... then I got to Conroe and was super impressed with the massive operation they were running. Truly amazing and inspiring!

Went to Timarron this afternoon and helped people clear their homes ripping up carpet and tearing out drywall. Great seeing the cars lining the streets to help out... pretty sure I ate some of your pizza today, 1906! Thanks!!

Going back tomorrow as there is still lots to do! Love seeing the best coming out in everyone as the community pulls together.
Farmer1906
AG
Did you see the cutest little 4 year old passing it out of a white tundra?
Faithful Ag
Sorry...I guess it was one of the families you inspired. They were in a black SUV. Maybe tomorrow?

There was another couple that drove up from Dallas with a load of box fans that they were passing out. I thought that was really cool too!
Farmer1906
AG
I saw someone giving away trash bags too.
TXTransplant
My 2 cents after spending the day in Timarron:

There is a real traffic problem that is bordering on unsafe should there be an emergency.

I would encourage people to carpool as much as possible. These streets are being overwhelmed with cars; to the point that emergency vehicles cannot pass (there was a wreck where I was working today, and it was a mess).

Additionally, homeowners are trying to get moving trucks and trailers to their houses to take out their furniture and belongings. There were times today when the roads were completely blocked.

I have four suggestions: 1) carpool if you can; 2) park at Timarron Park and walk (this is what we did, and it is not far); 3) ride bikes; 4) if you have to drive down, do so only if you have a small or mid-sized car. The large trucks and SUVs really obstruct the road.
Bregxit
AG
FYI from Conroe ISD...

Quote:

This is a message for families in the Oak Ridge Feeder.

There will be a food distribution station in the Oak Ridge High School 9th Grade Campus cafeteria tomorrow (Thursday) from 9AM-1PM (while supplies last) for families in the Oak Ridge Feeder Zone
TX scallywAG
AG
Looks like I took on roughly 1/4 inch just on the back of my house in Forrest Village. I was lucky. My living room and a downstairs guest bedroom were all that were impacted. Today we ripped out flooring and cut drywall 10 inches up (it had soaked up the drywall & insulation quite a bit) Making progress. Tomorrow is cleaning. So happy my AC turned on. No power after Rita for weeks was terrible. The cool air luxury made a rough day tolerable!

I took a photo today I will never forget. I was wanting to capture my demo-ed wood flooring & my TAMU flag flying in the same shot.

As I took the picture, I could hear neighborhood kids laughing in the background, the streets were full of volunteers, & a complete stranger offered me sandwich.

I was a little shocked & didn't know how to answer the new neighborhood sandwich man. Apparently he was a big hit after speaking with my neighbors. My small area is a microcosm of us all pulling together. I can honestly say it was contagious. Keep on doing what you're doing.

As a tip, Jax Burgers on 2920 and downtown Spring are both open. Not sure about the other (1488 or 2978 IIRC?). The line at Jack In the Box was probably 20 cars long. Go get you a Guac burger... no mayo, add mustard instead. Thank me later
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
TXTransplant
Still need help/volunteers in Timarron. There is a staging area at the Londonderry community center (take a left on Barmby from Kuykendahl, just south of the new Wal-Mart). You can get supplies there. I've seen multiple requests for both demo labor and supplies to help start cleaning up (houses are in various stages of the process). I'm seeing more requests from the folks in the gated part of Timarron Lakes. Lots of older, retired folks over there who could use a helping hand. At least one street also still does not have power because of s sinkhole.
Rollie2002
AG
I'm right down Kuykendahl from there. Is there any sign up at the Londonderry? Or just come down and ask who needs help?
TXTransplant
Rollie2002 said:

I'm right down Kuykendahl from there. Is there any sign up at the Londonderry? Or just come down and ask who needs help?

I'm so sorry I didn't reply earlier! I spent all day literally going house to house. Yes, meet at Londonderry. The community center is at the end of Bramby, which is right off Kuykendahl. We are going back out tomorrow. Maybe come around 9?

There is also TONS of need in Northampton/Northcrest, just south of Willow Creek. Some of those houses had water up to the roof.
LostInLA07
AG
My cousin lives in that neighborhood. Sadly, many of those homes just finished recovering from the last flood. I wonder how many will choose to walk away at this point. On the bright side, I suspect many have flood insurance this time around.
Farmer1906
AG
LostInLA07 said:

My cousin lives in that neighborhood. Sadly, many of those homes just finished recovering from the last flood. I wonder how many will choose to walk away at this point. On the bright side, I suspect many have flood insurance this time around.
I North Hampton? What part of the hood flooded?
TXTransplant
Farmer1906 said:

LostInLA07 said:

I North Hampton? What part of the hood flooded?
From what I understand (and I am by no means familiar with the area), it was areas south of the golf course and east of Northcrest Dr. One street I heard mentioned multiple times was Creekview Dr, but there are more that I can't remember.

The volunteers where sharing a story today about a woman who lives in that area and never cleaned out her house after Allison. It flooded again on Monday, and she is not fully receptive to help now. From what I understand, that area has not gotten a good response, in terms of people showing up to help clean out/demo homes.
LostInLA07
AG
The usual areas on Creekview, Northway, Northcrest.
TX scallywAG
AG
Central AC was border line down yesterday as we left. Drip/drain pan in the attic was taking on water badly! Had to get a shoc vac up into the attic. Didn't run it overnight fearing it would overflow the pan and cause damages upstairs... last thing we need.

Well... a little Cajun engineering and a cold drink kept me moving cool today.

Concrete floors are in style anyway , I should just stain them. Tried to better get the Shiner in there for you guys. All about the little things in times like this.

Luckily the house only reached 80 degrees (F) before the AC tech arrived today. He was able to save the main central AC unit outside. Nothing wrong with the indoor portion which is in my attic. Temps are slowly starting to rise outside and having the AC on pulls out humidity so a big win for us there.

I've commuted 3 days from College St to Spring to keep my wife and kiddos comfortable. Hoping with the AC running and demo done, we can move back in soon.
---
Bregxit
AG
Do you need any help with anything? We've been doing the donation drive thing around here since we can keep the kiddos involved with that. If you need a hand this weekend though let me know and I can head over there.
TX scallywAG
AG
Really appreciate the offer man. We knocked out a lot. We're in the cleaning phase now. Your efforts would definitely be better spent on folks that are still in bad shape.

I even have central AC & wifi now. Moving along! Amazing my kitchen was untouched so we'll be cooking & eating downstairs. All main bedrooms spaces are upstairs, along with the media room which will be our makeshift living room for a bit. Honestly could have been a lot worse. Very fortunate. Basically just a remodel of 2 downstairs rooms (living, downstairs guest bedroom).

We do have a 4 month old and a 2 year old. Letting the central AC & fans run until tomorrow night until I get their little lungs back in there.
---
javick82
AG
Plenty of work out there, but my church is serving as a home base for crews tomorrow (9/4, labor day) to serve our neighbors at 9 am.
29819 West Hawthorne Dr., across from the Imperial Oaks Kroger.
Also, if there's any houses to demo in the area, we'd absolutely love to have a list.
Jason at 713.516.6973

Write-up:
Meet at the church at 9 am Monday to labor for our neighbors.
One of our church family was affected but others in the back of the neighborhood still need help.
If you're headed into a flooded house: N95 respirator, safety glasses (or goggles), work gloves, pants, and thick soled, close-toed shoes are an absolute must.
Join up or use our lot as home base.
Let's love our neighbors!
TX scallywAG
AG
You guys check out the count by neighborhood on Rayford Roundup? Link in OP.

286 homes just between Forrest Village & Spring Forrest flooded . Wow....

All counts for pre 3 included. Had a director from the MUD come talk to me personally.
---

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.