**Official Harvey Thread** Updated Staff Warning on OP 1:50 p.m. 8/27

481,266 Views | 5047 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Patentmike
mm98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because it's on the news. It's a tiny plant, fairly isolated...I agree you don't want to see this happen but "Hurricane Causes Chemical Plant to Explode" makes for a lot of clicks.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
AgLA06 said:

I get you're frustrated (and have every right to be) with losing your house, but it seems you're reaching a little here. For days there were press conferences every couple of hours to discuss what the release of water from the reservoirs would do down stream.

Oh and if you want me to provide information on every press conference I will. And I'll let you find exactly where it says evac, or y'all need to leave y'all will be flooded before they opened the gates at midnight and water came streaming into my neighborhood at 1am and by that time it was too late to evac by anything other than boat or swimming.
Guitarsoup
AG
thepartygoat said:

What if its like 2-3 inches and water barely got above the baseboard? We've already taken out all the furniture, carpets and padding. Need to know how much sheetrock/insulation to start removing from the bottom up.
You want to be cutting out dry sheetrock - no moisture left in it. . So at least 24". Sheetrock is 4x8' so cut at 24" and you can cut a sheet in half and only have to make one cut when installing the new stuff.
docaggie
AG
FHKChE07 said:

I don't know why people are freaking out about the Arkema plant. It isn't ideal but it far from a bad situation. But it is just going to be sporadic fires for the next few days and then they will need to clean it up. They should have done something about it before it was a problem, but it isn't going to be anything major. Certainly nothing like the old video of solid rocket booster rocket oxidizer in Nevada. It is just going to be some fires.
People remember West when you mention "chemical plant" and "explosion".

Those in charge didn't do anything to dispel the notion that the thing would detonate and take out a square mile.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
claym711
AG
Is the curfew still in effect?
chico
AG
Wow, mental health is really going to be a big issue. We've been doing different volunteering each day. Today found us near Stella Link just north of 610. Two separate older women in 2 houses, but similar situations. They were both still in shock, living in currently dry houses (had been flooded) but needing clean-up. They probably need to move but they're mentally not prepared to move (my cats!, my dog!, the antique rugs!). They seem to be getting regular visits from neighbors and others, but would be difficult to stay there at night with the conditions.

One woman seemed resigned, having discussed with a realtor. She was busy around the house, though her floorboards had buckled making just walking down the hall difficult. The other woman wouldn't let us in the house to clean, but the volunteer from the church who led us there was keeping constant tabs on her condition.

I know we helped with our presence and spirit (and what little cleaning we did), but just a sad, stressful day.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
chico said:

Wow, mental health is really going to be a big issue. We've been doing different volunteering each day. Today found us near Stella Link just north of 610. Two separate older women in 2 houses, but similar situations. They were both still in shock, living in currently dry houses (had been flooded) but needing clean-up. They probably need to move but they're mentally not prepared to move (my cats!, my dog!, the antique rugs!). They seem to be getting regular visits from neighbors and others, but would be difficult to stay there at night with the conditions.

One woman seemed resigned, having discussed with a realtor. She was busy around the house, though her floorboards had buckled making just walking down the hall difficult. The other woman wouldn't let us in the house to clean, but the volunteer from the church who led us there was keeping constant tabs on her condition.

I know we helped with our presence and spirit (and what little cleaning we did), but just a sad, stressful day.

i know i have been *****ing and moaning about my situation on here but there are a lot of people worse off than me and i count my blessings every night. Good work and keep it up.
The Wonderer
AG
claym711 said:

Is the curfew still in effect?
Yes
testosterbone
AG
Lindner made the WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/local-meteorologist-emerges-as-unlikely-hero-of-harvey-1504370231
testosterbone
AG
Nice Astros fundraiser shirt

http://m.mlbshop.com/Houston_Astros_Gear/Mens_Houston_Astros_Fanatics_Branded_Navy_Houston_Strong_T-Shirt?ab=tlpfeatureproduct
E
AG
Very Tolerant Nice Guy
Awesome Harvey pic

swimmerbabe11
Speaking of, my pastor just posted this, can anyone help?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1899481596745473&id=100000509545047

Quote:

Does anyone have a boat that could move a generator to a house that's surrounded by water in W. Houston?
Cuterebra
AG
I just noticed your reply and wanted to say thank you. All turned out alright.
Ag83
AG

OnlyForNow
AG
Holy bananas....
NASAg03
Plastic or elastic deformation? Because plastic means we're more flood prone!
mazzag
AG
He says in comments most likely elastic.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
What's 2cm when Houston has subsided 7'-12' since WWI?
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
aggiebq03+
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

What's 2cm when Houston has subsided 7'-12' since WWI?

All that concrete is heavy apparently
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Allegedly it is due to the pumping of groundwater.

https://txpub.usgs.gov/houston_subsidence/viewer/index.html

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/For-years-the-Houston-area-has-been-losing-ground-7951625.php

http://www.twdb.texas.gov/publications/reports/numbered_reports/doc/R188.pdf
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
agdaddy04
AG
That's why they're pushing everyone to go to surface water.
sts7049
AG
man, miami could be in for a world of s*** if it did that as a cat 5
Bismarck
AG
The lab for Geology 101 at A&M used to require students to calculate when Houston would be below sea level at the current subsidence rates.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
2300AD, give or take. Of course, that assumes 2" annual subsidence rate is sustainable once all ground water has been removed.
88jrt06
AG
agdaddy04 said:

That's why they're pushing everyone to go to surface water.

For the last 25 years. Houston got on board, at least.
Reckoning coming for some politicos, I hope.
Bismarck
AG
I knew someone would be able to recall the estimated date.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
So just wanted to give a shout out to bonobos.com
So I buy a lot of clothes from them because they just fit better. Khakis, work pants, shirts etc and I just sent their customer service an email and explained that I lost everything in the flood and needed to buy some work pants and shirts so I can look normal at work.

Without hesitation they sent me a 40% coupon and also said pick any pair of pants and they would send it to me for free. Ordered a few pants to get me by until I can eventually buy some more stuff down the line when I get my life in order and they shipped everything out and also threw in 2 extra 30% coupons to use later. They didn't have to do anything but they have the best customer service and were there for me and I feel like I owe it to them to give them a shout out on here.

If you haven't heard of them and want some great looking, great fitting pants and shirts please give them a look. I believe new customers are given 20% off their first order. Free shipping and free returns.

www.bonobos.com
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Also just an FYI, Ford is giving A plan pricing if u lost a vehicle in the flood.
mazzag
AG
I'll bet they are. From what I understand, disaster area dealerships will get priority for inventory. And that's fine, but other dealerships will have to rely and deplete inventory on the ground, making them less attractive and less competitive for models. So any new models will bypass these folks and go directly to dealerships that are in flood areas?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
mazzag said:

I'll bet they are. From what I understand, disaster area dealerships will get priority for inventory. And that's fine, but other dealerships will have to rely and deplete inventory on the ground, making them less attractive and less competitive for models. So any new models will bypass these folks and go directly to dealerships that are in flood areas?

Well there are 500,000 vehicles destroyed in Houston.
This is good business and a good deal. A plan is about the best you will get on a new car truck or SUV

Sure they are making money on a disaster but there are a lot of people in need of vehicles and why not offer discounts to move inventory?
mazzag
AG
Absolutely offer discounts. But why are inland dealers told to stand back and can't add to inventory? They have customers too?
The Wonderer
AG
mazzag said:

Absolutely offer discounts. But why are inland dealers told to stand back and can't add to inventory? They have customers too?
Do they have at least 250,000 people looking for cars in a single metro area?

I highly doubt it.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Wife worked for Ford corporate at one time and was the one wholesaling all the vehicles in her zone

Dealer tells the rep what they want and she would take theirs and everyone else's order and allocate vehicles based on need and other factors , in this case cars in Houston would get first priority because they will sell more cars. Ford is in it to make money and sorry madisonville or college station Ford, you are last on the list until this settles down.
bkag9824
AG
So what's typical savings on a F150 or F250 under A plan? Google says $5-7k is average. Doubt they do, but do the vehicles come with any additional dealer/model rebates, etc.?
First Page
Page 144 of 145

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.