**Official Harvey Thread** Updated Staff Warning on OP 1:50 p.m. 8/27

486,252 Views | 5047 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Patentmike
AgCPA95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
62strat said:

LostInLA07 said:

Also Montgomery county
Probably bits of waller county as well, near the borders of harris/montgomery.
Waller, fort bend and Harris county all meet at a point right in downtown "old Katy" which had feet of water in homes and businesses
Ducks4brkfast
AG
cle96 said:

In the south alone: Galveston, Brazoria, Fort Bend, Chambers
Downtown Katy in Waller County says hi.
Diggity
AG
Waller County ain't south
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Diggity said:

Waller County ain't south
okay I'm sorry man I thought it was generally lumped in with south/southeast texas
Forum Troll
AG
May have been already posted but Brazos reached crest this morning.
Diggity
AG
think he just meant south of the city
jabberwalkie09
AG
mazzag said:

How many counties were affected by the rain? You'd think by watching TV it was only Harris.

Last I checked some 53 counties were effected by Harvey. Pretty much all of southeast Texas.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Diggity said:

think he just meant south of the city
Oh, coastal counties.
62strat
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

cle96 said:

In the south alone: Galveston, Brazoria, Fort Bend, Chambers
Downtown Katy in Waller County says hi.
The post above yours says hi
sellthefarm
AG
Rep for Houston Builders Association is on Channel 2 right now and he is a complete idiot.

He said you need to do thermal imaging before ripping out drywall. He's basically saying "call a contractor".
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yes, by all means, let your house become a mold-filled petri dish while you wait days/weeks for thermal imaging. Helpful advice.
Post removed:
by user
Clavell
AG
Oh well...too late. At daughter's and we've already ripped out sheetrock up to 4' high, have fans going and 2 small dehumidifiers until can get the big boys.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Sasappis said:

sellthefarm said:

Rep for Houston Builders Association is on Channel 2 right now and he is a complete idiot.

He said you need to do thermal imaging before ripping out drywall. He's basically saying "call a contractor".

What was his possible justification for saying it needs to be imaged?
He represents contractors and wants contractors to do 100% of the work.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's almost like a reflex. This idiot and his buddies are going to have more work than they could ever dream of accomplishing for a very long period of time. Yet, he's basically drumming up work.
The Wonderer
AG
Free legal assistance for those impacted by Hurricane Harvey

sellthefarm
AG
The young guy running the segment realized what he was doing and did his best to get something useful out of the segment...what a disaster. They had a caller Q&A and the first caller was a lady that basically said "so we should just sit around and let our houses rot?" Hopefully not many people were watching.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Letter from Greg Davis to our fleetwood POA president and other neighborhoods. First communication at all from anyone regarding my hood. Only 5 days late.

Dear Friends and Neighbors:

Mayor Turner Issues Voluntary Evacuation Request for Much of District G

Today Mayor Turner issued a voluntary evacuation request for much of District G. If you have any water inside your home, and if you live in an apartment or high rise if there is currently any water on the first floor, in an area bounded by I-10 on the north, Briar Forest on the south, Highway 6 on the west and Gessner on the east, you are asked to get out of your home and stay out for at least the next two weeks.

Given the current water releases from Barker and Addicks Reservoirs by the Army Corps of Engineers, and its intention to continue such releases at the current level, the situation on the ground is not anticipated to change for the next two weeks. Despite requests by Council Member Travis and Mayor Turner, the Army Corps intends to continue releases between 13,300 cfs and 16,000 cfs for at least the next two weeks. If you have water in your home, it will be there for at least the next two weeks. If you do not have water in your home, the Mayor and the Harris County Flood Control District said they currently do not anticipate that you will receive flood water and should be able to stay in your home. If you do stay in your home, please continue to monitor weather conditions.

In issuing his request, the Mayor cited the risk of electrocution, structural compromise, water quality, and critters in the water (including gators, snakes and fire ants). The Mayor acknowledged during his press conference that most of these homes had no flooding as the result of the intense rainfall we received, and were only flooded by the release of water from Addicks and Barker Reservoirs.

If you are in the voluntary evacuation area and need assistance, the City of Houston urges you to call 911. The city will provide transportation to the NRG Park shelter for those in need of housing or residents can proceed there directly.

More information on the water levels in Addicks and Barker and the water inundation areas can be found here: https://www.hcfcd.org/flooding-floodplains/addicks-and-barker-reservoirs/ For current information on Buffalo Bayou, follow the link to " Buffalo Bayou Inundation Scenarios, August 30, 2017."

We will update you as more information becomes available.

Greg Travis
Houston City Council Member, District G
900 Bagby, 1st Floor
Houston, TX 77002
Mailing:
P.O. Box 1562
Houston, TX 77251-1562

Phone: 832-393-3007
Email: DistrictG@HoustonTX.gov

Houston City Council District G, 900 Bagby, 1st Floor, Houston, TX 77002
PhatMack19
AG
HEB in Port Arthur. Not a thing left in the store, but the Tofu section is full. I guess all the vegans hauled ass....

https://ibb.co/nFaRia
Premium
AG
Looks like they should discontinue that section of the store.
The Wonderer
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Letter from Greg Davis to our fleetwood POA president and other neighborhoods. First communication at all from anyone regarding my hood. Only 5 days late.

Dear Friends and Neighbors:

Mayor Turner Issues Voluntary Evacuation Request for Much of District G

Today Mayor Turner issued a voluntary evacuation request for much of District G. If you have any water inside your home, and if you live in an apartment or high rise if there is currently any water on the first floor, in an area bounded by I-10 on the north, Briar Forest on the south, Highway 6 on the west and Gessner on the east, you are asked to get out of your home and stay out for at least the next two weeks.

Given the current water releases from Barker and Addicks Reservoirs by the Army Corps of Engineers, and its intention to continue such releases at the current level, the situation on the ground is not anticipated to change for the next two weeks. Despite requests by Council Member Travis and Mayor Turner, the Army Corps intends to continue releases between 13,300 cfs and 16,000 cfs for at least the next two weeks. If you have water in your home, it will be there for at least the next two weeks. If you do not have water in your home, the Mayor and the Harris County Flood Control District said they currently do not anticipate that you will receive flood water and should be able to stay in your home. If you do stay in your home, please continue to monitor weather conditions.

In issuing his request, the Mayor cited the risk of electrocution, structural compromise, water quality, and critters in the water (including gators, snakes and fire ants). The Mayor acknowledged during his press conference that most of these homes had no flooding as the result of the intense rainfall we received, and were only flooded by the release of water from Addicks and Barker Reservoirs.

If you are in the voluntary evacuation area and need assistance, the City of Houston urges you to call 911. The city will provide transportation to the NRG Park shelter for those in need of housing or residents can proceed there directly.

More information on the water levels in Addicks and Barker and the water inundation areas can be found here: https://www.hcfcd.org/flooding-floodplains/addicks-and-barker-reservoirs/ For current information on Buffalo Bayou, follow the link to " Buffalo Bayou Inundation Scenarios, August 30, 2017."

We will update you as more information becomes available.

Greg Travis
Houston City Council Member, District G
900 Bagby, 1st Floor
Houston, TX 77002
Mailing:
P.O. Box 1562
Houston, TX 77251-1562

Phone: 832-393-3007
Email: DistrictG@HoustonTX.gov

Houston City Council District G, 900 Bagby, 1st Floor, Houston, TX 77002
Ha! The girl that most likely wrote that is an ex of mine.
AgLA06
AG
I get you're frustrated (and have every right to be) with losing your house, but it seems you're reaching a little here. For days there were press conferences every couple of hours to discuss what the release of water from the reservoirs would do down stream.
thepartygoat
AG
What if its like 2-3 inches and water barely got above the baseboard? We've already taken out all the furniture, carpets and padding. Need to know how much sheetrock/insulation to start removing from the bottom up.
Sazerac
AG
Until it's dry. I'd do at least 6-8"
Forum Troll
AG
How long can the homes sit in water before worrying about integrity of the beams?
mm98
AG
I'd cut at 24" or 48".
62strat
AG
Forum Troll said:

How long can the homes sit in water before worrying about integrity of the beams?
beams?? Like in the roof? Has water gotten that high anywhere?
Forum Troll
AG
62strat said:

Forum Troll said:

beams?? Like in the roof? Has water gotten that high anywhere?

Sorry probably not using the correct terminology. Studs I guess is a better word. The 2x4 etc.. that make up the walls of the house.
62strat
AG
Sasappis said:

62strat said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Plenty informed about Spirit failing to fulfill booked flight commitments.
Every airline has failed to fulfill booked flight commitments in and out of Houston for almost a week now.

Spirit is a bad airline. I am not sure why you seem determined to deny that. You knowingly take a risk when flying with them but the upside is the cheaper fare. Everything in life is a balancing act.

I know spirit has their issues and haters, BUT, for right now, today, they got my parents in the air from Houston, and are arriving in Denver here in about 45 minutes, 20+ minutes earlier than scheduled.
cone
AG
I knew what you meant fwiw
Ag83
AG

FHKChE07
AG
Some places it has gotten over the roof, so yes.
95_Aggie
AG
Arkema plant ... what a mess
FHKChE07
AG
I don't know why people are freaking out about the Arkema plant. It isn't ideal but it far from a bad situation. But it is just going to be sporadic fires for the next few days and then they will need to clean it up. They should have done something about it before it was a problem, but it isn't going to be anything major. Certainly nothing like the old video of solid rocket booster rocket oxidizer in Nevada. It is just going to be some fires.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
AgLA06 said:

I get you're frustrated (and have every right to be) with losing your house, but it seems you're reaching a little here. For days there were press conferences every couple of hours to discuss what the release of water from the reservoirs would do down stream.

Reaching for what? Who the **** are you? Do you live in my neighborhood? Is your house currently flooded?not from rain but from the releases? I've been watching the news every ****ing second for 9 days straight and this is the first communication stating anything about my evacs or how long they will flood us.

Every neighbor I know was boated out and lost not only their house and everything they own but also their cars and is still rotting in 5 feet of water. So excuse me I don't think I am reaching for anything. I am stating facts. Kindly don't reply to me anymore.
First Page Last Page
Page 143 of 145

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.