Prager : thoughts on if he comes back ?

12,990 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AgLA06
Aggie1205
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OKCAGS said:

I respect your opinion, but a year and a half removed from major arm surgery ….. it is not impossible at all to add velo . Prager is probably gone and I am happy for him , but IF he did come back …. He could easily be a 1st round pick next year and double his signing bonus .

Again, I didn't say it was impossible to add velocity. But 3-4 MPH in one year is unlikely.

ensign_beedrill
AG
OKCAGS said:

I respect your opinion, but a year and a half removed from major arm surgery ….. it is not impossible at all to add velo . Prager is probably gone and I am happy for him , but IF he did come back …. He could easily be a 1st round pick next year and double his signing bonus .
I think what we (or at least I) take exception to is that you keep saying it can "easily" be done. It's not easy and is in no way guaranteed. The better you are, the harder it is to get better.
P.U.T.U
AG
Prager has an odd delivery and I think he may be able to get 3mph if he changes it but that is also what makes him difficult to hit. Play the Maddox game and hit your spots while keeping hitters off balance like he has been
OKCAGS
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. After TJ surgery kids find their velo increasing the longer they get from their surgery date . Ryan also can easily add 10-15 pounds of muscle to his frame …… combine those 2 factors and 3-4 mph's of velocity is attainable. Good discussion , although I don't think it really matters . The Pragers had a number heading into the draft and it looks like it was met.
jkag89
And all this can be done at the pro level without risk of losing nearly a million dollars.
carl spacklers hat
jkag89 said:

And all this can be done at the pro level without risk of losing nearly a million dollars.
Or blowing your shoulder out again pitching against SHU.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
RED AG 98
AG
Not to mention, pros would almost rather you already have had TJ surgery these days. Yes, that's a bit of exaggeration but it's really not nearly as far fetched as a it sounds… the surgery has become routine and nearly rather you be on the other side of it.
hurst03
AG
hurst03
AG
So why would he walk away from $1M dollars?
P.U.T.U
AG
hurst03 said:

Very likely underslotted so his pay was not as much as he thought it should be. Not sure of how the 2025 pitchers look but he may have spoken with people that thought he could be first or second round last year. Difference could be over a million.

He could also get injured next season, NIL deal must be enough for him to feel comfortable for him to come back
CrawlingNo5
AG
P.U.T.U said:

hurst03 said:

Very likely underslotted so his pay was not as much as he thought it should be. Not sure of how the 2025 pitchers look but he may have spoken with people that thought he could be first or second round last year. Difference could be over a million.

He could also get injured next season, NIL deal must be enough for him to feel comfortable for him to come back

I wonder if the organization matters. I suspect as fans it matters a great deal more to us than the actual player, but I would be curious if being drafted by the Angels or A's has any weight on signing.
twk
AG
twk said:

ensign_beedrill said:

This. I know that there are people who don't follow this subject closely who are not aware of the changes in the last few years, so we are going to see this question every now and then. But, in the current environment, that's the way the draft is operated. The team and the player have agreed on a bonus prior to the pick being announced. Barring some kind of miscommunication or other screw up, when you hear a name called in the first 10 rounds, they are gone.
Well, obviously, this was the rare exception. Something like 99.97% of guys taken in the first 10 rounds signed last year. So, where was the screw up? Did the Angles not work out a deal with Prager before picking him? Did they reneg on the deal? The Angels just signed a high school right hander that throws 100 mph that they took in the 11th round (teams passed on him when they got past the slot value he was looking for) to a bonus like $1 million over slot. Obviously they used the Prager money for this. How long was that in the works?
aginlakeway
AG
hurst03 said:

Maybe he didn't ...
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
rondis23
AG
hurst03 said:

We will probably never know. But one thing we Do know is- $1 M after taxes, in California, or in whatever minor league town...is what it is. Nothing is free anymore and everything costs money. The season is longer. More wear and tear on the body and just a tougher lifestyle.

Free housing, free food, College Station Life with NiL may not be as bad a tradeoff as it seems. Kid is betting on himself, and I Like it!
Sean98
AG
twk said:

twk said:

ensign_beedrill said:

This. I know that there are people who don't follow this subject closely who are not aware of the changes in the last few years, so we are going to see this question every now and then. But, in the current environment, that's the way the draft is operated. The team and the player have agreed on a bonus prior to the pick being announced. Barring some kind of miscommunication or other screw up, when you hear a name called in the first 10 rounds, they are gone.
Well, obviously, this was the rare exception. Something like 99.97% of guys taken in the first 10 rounds signed last year. So, where was the screw up? Did the Angles not work out a deal with Prager before picking him? Did they reneg on the deal? The Angels just signed a high school right hander that throws 100 mph that they took in the 11th round (teams passed on him when they got past the slot value he was looking for) to a bonus like $1 million over slot. Obviously they used the Prager money for this. How long was that in the works?
The HS kid was $1.8M over slot. ...but as I understand the current Rule 4 Rules, they cannot use the Prager money on this kid. If a team does not sign a player in the Top 10 rounds they FORFEIT that amount of money from the bonus pool. So not signing Ryan meant that the Angels had ~$950k less money than their total bonus pool to spend.

It's a "savings" to the bottom line, i.e., they didn't spend $950k, but they don't get to use that money on other players.
tjack16
AG
Two years of eligibility left so he still has leverage next year. If he pitches well he could play his way into a first round or 2nd round bonus next year
OKCAGS
He will double his signing bonus . Smart decision …. Angels are a mess right now .
Wrecking Crew 21
Prager is baaaaack!
Aggie 63
GigEm81
AG
Welcome back Ryan Prager!

And this thread is OVER!!
W
AG
Angels something something Angels, etc..,

that opened the door and gave the Ags a chance
PlanoAg98
AG
AgLA06
AG
tjack16 said:

Two years of eligibility left so he still has leverage next year. If he pitches well he could play his way into a first round or 2nd round bonus next year
We can all analyze it, but I imagine there's a hundred things that factored into this from both sides most of us will never know or understand. But without all of them, it might go the other way.

• One of the worse organizations in baseball drafting you
  • Getting a late round signee no one thought would sign
  • Not getting what you feel you are valued at
  • Having agents and guidance that you don't have to sign this year
  • Still having leverage for next year
  • Being willing to bet on yourself and the ability to improve
  • Feeling comfortable in the new coaching staff
  • Being so close last year
  • Liking our roster for this year in both talent and cohesion
  • Feeling you can actually win it all as the ace this year
  • Enjoying where you are vs the grind of low pay and less than ideal conditions in the minors
  • Another year of NIL to help cover the cost of minor league baseball
  • Finishing a degree
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.