Kent in the Cape

20,697 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by aggieswmr04
t38inst
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dcbowers said:

If you ever get a chance to visit Cape Cod during the summer, check out the Cape Cod Baseball League. 10 teams representing small towns strung along the Cape. Small, intimate ballparks that allow you to sit close to the action.

https://www.capecodleague.com

Very much like Norman Rockwell would have painted it.
Was there in 2021 for 2 weeks watching our grandson play. Unbelievalbe baseball and family atmosphere. Thousands of folks at each game with most in lawn chairs surrounding the field watching the best collegiate ball players. Still in close touch with the Cape family that hosted our grandson and another college player for the 2 months he was there. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
44mAG
AG
Opposite field hit is a good sign for Kent. He was really pull happy this year, would love to see him work on using all parts of the field.
Rongagin71
AG
Is Kent playing shortstop? How does he look defensively?
He was a good second baseman, but I don't know his arm strength.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Rongagin71 said:

Is Kent playing shortstop? How does he look defensively?
He was a good second baseman, but I don't know his arm strength.

Pretty sure he played 3rd for us a couple innings I think after they pulled Jace out, He did take a grounder and threw to 1st, His arm looked plenty strong.
austinag1997
AG
12thMan9 said:

Tab Tracy got off to a good start at Falmouth in the field & at the plate.

We will have a loaded OF.

Falmouth and Cape Cod. Wish I was at either right now!
ToddyHill
AG
Several members of our family flew up to Boston last week for a friend's wedding. Last person to board the flight was none other than Tony Vitello (we live in the Knoxville area). A few UT players are up there for the summer.

ensign_beedrill
AG
ToddyHill said:

Several members of our family flew up to Boston last week for a friend's wedding. Last person to board the flight was none other than Tony Vitello (we live in the Knoxville area). A few UT players are up there for the summer.

Tony V holding up the plane. Typical.
AgEng06
AG
annie88 said:

PA24 said:

Most overlooked guy by the past coaching staff, hopefully the new coach will make a deal that keeps him on the team.

They have Jace and Gavin swapped on the names at the bottom.
ToddyHill
AG
Not at all. He boarded seconds after the last person and the flight departed early…which is not the norm for Allegiant.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Just a little joke.
themissinglink
AG
Kent was 2-4 today with a single and a double. Started at SS today. The single was the game winning RBI. OPS dipped to 0.983 after going 1-5 yesterday.
you moran
AG
Working at SS. Good to hear.
themissinglink
AG
The big news from the cape today is Isaac Morton pitched. After being completely unable to find the strike zone this season he had a good outing:

4.0 IP 2 H 1ER (a solo HR) 0 BB 3 K 1 HBP
He threw 48 pitches, 31 strikes

Other stat lines:
Kent 0-3 2 BB
Binderup 1-3 1BB
Capstone
AG
My sister and brother-in-law were at his game in the Cape today. I was talking to her during one of his walks. They were here a couple weeks ago and told me of their plans to go to the Cape for a week and go see a game each day. I mentioned they should look for Kent.

Blake was in today's game as well.

Now she texts me each day that they announce an Aggie going to bat. Apparently they announce Max Kaufer and Jett Johnson as Aggies, since I get those texts, as well.
Aggie Therapist
AG
12thMan9 said:

Tab Tracy got off to a good start at Falmouth in the field & at the plate.

We will have a loaded OF.

Tab Tracy. Iconic baseball name
EspejoAg
AG
We've been in Chatham since Wednesday. Watched a game that night and last night. Feel like I've been dropped into the 50's .

When we walked to the field - it kept getting more surreal. My daughter and son-in-law went by early and dropped their lawn chairs even with first base - that's how you reserve your spot. Huge playground - our grandkids had a ball there - no worries about safety at all. There's an Ag on the Chatham Anglers - Jett Johnston. The lineups have kids from all over the college baseball world. The announcers announce them as Jeff Johnston from Texas A & M. It's like Little League - we're sitting just outside the fence at first base and the first baseman, the first base coach, and the umpire are having a great conversation, laughing and cutting up - it's just wild.

And the sound of the ball off a wooden bat is just something else - my wife keeps saying that........we keep grinning at each other and just being amazed at the atmosphere. We think we're on a movie set - cause it's sooooo dang perfect and enjoyable. A bit windy - but mid 70's

Last week (I think) my son-in-law said a bank of fog just rolled in during the games. Our grandkids walk up to the players at the concession stand or they can go down to the bullpen and hang over the fence and talk and watch them.

The funniest thing was night before, the other team brought in a relief pitcher and one of the Angler players had this loud cat meow he did after every pitch - the field is in a "hollow" and it sorta echoed a bit. We laughed so hard - it was so funny and my grand-daughter started answering him. We were dying laughing for 2 innings.

When a player checks his swing - the whole opposing team yells "He did!"

They've been playing summer baseball here for over 100 years - 10 teams scattered all up and down the Cape. - simply a hidden gem of fun beyond belief. I could stay here all summer long - besides the lobster rolls are beyond belief as well. Everyone here is just as friendly as well. Wore my Aggie cap - saw one Tennessee fan. One Ole Miss and none of the un-desirables from Austin.
StinkyPinky
AG
Yes please!
t38inst
AG
EspejoAg said:

We've been in Chatham since Wednesday. Watched a game that night and last night. Feel like I've been dropped into the 50's .

When we walked to the field - it kept getting more surreal. My daughter and son-in-law went by early and dropped their lawn chairs even with first base - that's how you reserve your spot. Huge playground - our grandkids had a ball there - no worries about safety at all. There's an Ag on the Chatham Anglers - Jett Johnston. The lineups have kids from all over the college baseball world. The announcers announce them as Jeff Johnston from Texas A & M. It's like Little League - we're sitting just outside the fence at first base and the first baseman, the first base coach, and the umpire are having a great conversation, laughing and cutting up - it's just wild.

And the sound of the ball off a wooden bat is just something else - my wife keeps saying that........we keep grinning at each other and just being amazed at the atmosphere. We think we're on a movie set - cause it's sooooo dang perfect and enjoyable. A bit windy - but mid 70's

Last week (I think) my son-in-law said a bank of fog just rolled in during the games. Our grandkids walk up to the players at the concession stand or they can go down to the bullpen and hang over the fence and talk and watch them.

The funniest thing was night before, the other team brought in a relief pitcher and one of the Angler players had this loud cat meow he did after every pitch - the field is in a "hollow" and it sorta echoed a bit. We laughed so hard - it was so funny and my grand-daughter started answering him. We were dying laughing for 2 innings.

When a player checks his swing - the whole opposing team yells "He did!"

They've been playing summer baseball here for over 100 years - 10 teams scattered all up and down the Cape. - simply a hidden gem of fun beyond belief. I could stay here all summer long - besides the lobster rolls are beyond belief as well. Everyone here is just as friendly as well. Wore my Aggie cap - saw one Tennessee fan. One Ole Miss and none of the un-desirables from Austin.
Totally agree. Cape Cod is an incredible experience for both the players and their family and friends. Was there in 2021 watching my grandson play for the Bourne Braves. Also have to mention the local families that host the players. Our grandson's host family was superb and we still stay in touch regularly. They even came down for his wedding last December. As far as the college baseball talent it's unreal. On that 2021 Bourne team 17, including my grandson, were drafted. And most of them still stay in touch and in several cases have either played with or against each other in pro ball. There were no sips on the 21 Bourne team that went to the championship game and lost to a very good Brewster club. We would do again in a heartbeat if the opportunity comes along. As far as my grandson goes he's in his second year of pro ball in AAA.
OilAg01
AG
That's awesome. Hope your grandson makes it to the show.

This is now on my bucket list.
themissinglink
AG
Using this as a general cape summer league thread…

Others of note:
Binderup 0-3 with a BB
Kent 1-5 playing SS
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
OilAg01 said:

That's awesome. Hope your grandson makes it to the show.

This is now on my bucket list.

Me, too. I think I can actually talk my wife into going.
Legace
AG
His Dad is former MBL Jeff Kent!
Dr Deborah Sullivan '00
Legace
Legace
AG
Legace
Dr Deborah Sullivan '00
Legace
AG
He's playing SS in Cape Cod.
Dr Deborah Sullivan '00
aggieswmr04
We try to catch as many games in our week trip to the Cape each year. Went early this year due to a large family trip to AK this summer, missed the Ags due to the CWS. Thought we would catch some at the ABL this year but no go.

We did see Tab and an Aggie Intern, Kaitlyn, in Orleans. Her brother we met a few years ago who randomly happened to be one of the players my then 6yo son got attached to during an Orleans camp. He played for Baylor at the time. Was a crazy coincidence.

Anyway we met Kent, Camarillo, and Tab last year (and Werner). All the guys are outstanding. So nice to talk to. Engaged conversation with our kids, signed balls and took pictures. Always makes the games a bit more special when that happens. And especially so when the kids get a foul ball.

We've met a number of Ags over the years, it's definitely a must do if you're a baseball fan. We think Orleans is the best place to catch a game. Admittedly, we haven't been to all the parks yet. If you sit on the third base side your chances of a foul ball are pretty good. And catch the Cape League Museum in Hyannis, not far from the Kennedy family museum if you travel. Pretty neat place, both of them. The Cape Brewery and Cape Cod Chips are also in Hyannis. We're partial to the Orleans beaches.

And if you venture into the cold water, stay out if seals are near. It's not worth it.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
" And if you venture into the cold water, stay out if seals are near. It's not worth it"

I assume this might be a good story?
aggieswmr04
The story is if you don't you greatly increase your odds of becoming Great White shark food, and especially so if you're in a black wet suit. And I wish I was joking.

While we aren't locals just have been going for close to 40 years since I was a kid… you can always spot those not familiar with the Cape's deadly visitors.

All of the public beaches have shark kits and a lot of the private ones have them now too.

Check out the app Sharktivity. You can track them and it will notify you when they are in the area (well the tagged ones anyway).
t38inst
AG
Good clip on the Today Show about the Cape Cod Baseball League. Same team our grandson played on in 2022, the Bourne Braves. A great experience for all the Ags in the league this summer. Stepping stone to pro ball and the big leagues. 17 players on the '22 team, including our grandson, drafted by MLB teams.

https://www.today.com/video/inside-the-beloved-tradition-of-the-cape-cod-baseball-league-215150661561
aggieswmr04
Kent made the All Star roster at the Cape

https://www.capecodleague.com/news/2024-cape-league-all-star-game-rosters-announced
Legace
AG
Search Jeff Kent baseball…
Dr Deborah Sullivan '00
Rec
AG
Legace said:

Search Jeff Kent baseball…

Sarcasm meter needs new winky fluid
Legace
AG
Appreciate the response! S(he) was asking if Jeff Kent was Kaeden's dad; I tried inserting a video but couldn't do it… so I suggested s(he) try to find it, didn't mean it to be sarcasm…
Dr Deborah Sullivan '00
trouble
AG
No, he was trying to make a joke because of the TV coverage during the CWS.
Rec
AG
Right, it's akin to asking if Taylor Swift was Travis Kelce's girlfriend. It's been driven home like a Jim Slobnozzle swing partner.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.