Potential increase to 32+ baseball scholarships

10,165 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by greg.w.h
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Marksman said:

94chem said:

The Marksman said:

94chem said:

The Marksman said:

Panama Red said:

Excellent news! These student-athletes deserve it!

So, take the 12 schollys from SHSU and SFA, and give them to A&M. SHSU and SFA drop baseball or go to D3..

Zero sum gain.

Or how do you see this playing out?

Anyone else not understand what this guy is rambling about?

11.7 x 3 = 35.1

Approximately the same number of schollys for one school under the new rule. Don't be so angry. It's just math. I'm not sure that offering more scholarships in a negative revenue sport will do anything more than concentrate the scholarships among fewer teams.

What on Earth do SHSU and SFA have to do with A&M baseball scholarships? You're one confused poster.

I think he's suggesting schools like those two could cancel the sport altogether at which point we don't have a net gain in scholarships but rather a net loss in the number of players in college baseball. I don't think it'll be SHSU necessarily but we will see schools drop baseball once they see the SEC and half of the ACC go to 34 full rides. There are G5 schools offering around 6 partials and now the floor is apparently 18. That's a lot of money those programs don't have. College baseball is about to get a lot smaller and I think that's his point.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
The Marksman
AG
LOYAL AG said:

The Marksman said:

94chem said:

The Marksman said:

94chem said:

The Marksman said:

Panama Red said:

So, take the 12 schollys from SHSU and SFA, and give them to A&M. SHSU and SFA drop baseball or go to D3..

Zero sum gain.

11.7 x 3 = 35.1

Approximately the same number of schollys for one school under the new rule. Don't be so angry. It's just math. I'm not sure that offering more scholarships in a negative revenue sport will do anything more than concentrate the scholarships among fewer teams.

What on Earth do SHSU and SFA have to do with A&M baseball scholarships? You're one confused poster.

I think he's suggesting schools like those two could cancel the sport altogether at which point we don't have a net gain in scholarships but rather a net loss in the number of players in college baseball. I don't think it'll be SHSU necessarily but we will see schools drop baseball once they see the SEC and half of the ACC go to 34 full rides. There are G5 schools offering around 6 partials and now the floor is apparently 18. That's a lot of money those programs don't have. College baseball is about to get a lot smaller and I think that's his point.
I see what you're saying, but I disagree. Just because a smaller school won't be able to offer the maximum number of scholarships allowed doesn't mean they have to fold their program. Those schools are operating just fine right now, and if they don't have the money to increase scholarships, I think they just continue to run as they are at the current moment. And just because A&M will be able to offer more scholarships doesn't mean we're going to be stealing SFA's best players or anything. It just means we'll be able to put our own guys on full scholarships instead of partial ones.
twk
AG
The Marksman said:

LOYAL AG said:

The Marksman said:

94chem said:

The Marksman said:

94chem said:

The Marksman said:

Panama Red said:

Zero sum gain.

11.7 x 3 = 35.1

I see what you're saying, but I disagree. Just because a smaller school won't be able to offer the maximum number of scholarships allowed doesn't mean they have to fold their program. Those schools are operating just fine right now, and if they don't have the money to increase scholarships, I think they just continue to run as they are at the current moment. And just because A&M will be able to offer more scholarships doesn't mean we're going to be stealing SFA's best players or anything. It just means we'll be able to put our own guys on full scholarships instead of partial ones.
It seems more likely to me that the G5 conferences will adopt their own lower scholarship limits (which they are free to do), rather than giving up competition since they can't offer the same numbers as SEC schools. In the end, the biggest thing G5 schools have to offer is playing time, and that's true whether the team is splitting 6 scholarships or all 34 are on a full ride. In a sport where parents pay to play from a very early age, you'll find parents willing to pay for their boys to attend G5 schools so that they can get on the field and not simply provide depth.
LOYAL AG
AG
The Marksman said:

LOYAL AG said:

The Marksman said:

94chem said:

The Marksman said:

94chem said:

The Marksman said:

Panama Red said:

Zero sum gain.

11.7 x 3 = 35.1

I hope you and twk below are correct. My biggest concern is the sport getting smaller because of these changes.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

So if we split D1 baseball into subdivisions, do you think the tournament size shrinks? A lot of the teams that get auto-qualifiers now would probably be going into a different subdivision.
You would think it would have to because you probably wouldn't have much more than or even 64 schools go all in on baseball to fund 30+ full scholarships. Especially, when only a handful of schools make money from baseball now.

And if you did end up with that few schools in the top division, how much do you shrink it?
If there were only 64 teams, would you do 8 4-team Regionals and the winners go to CWS to maintain the current 8-team format there? But then half the teams are making the post-season. So does that cheapen the regular season?
Or, would 8 "Super Regionals" be the answer so that only 25% make the post-season?
Or maintain the current Regional, Super Rergional, CWS format but at half the size? But then this would require a reformat of the CWS and you are still looking at 50% in the post-season.

It all raises lots of questions.
BiochemAg97
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

ensign_beedrill said:

So if we split D1 baseball into subdivisions, do you think the tournament size shrinks? A lot of the teams that get auto-qualifiers now would probably be going into a different subdivision.
You would think it would have to because you probably wouldn't have much more than or even 64 schools go all in on baseball to fund 30+ full scholarships. Especially, when only a handful of schools make money from baseball now.

And if you did end up with that few schools in the top division, how much do you shrink it?
If there were only 64 teams, would you do 8 4-team Regionals and the winners go to CWS to maintain the current 8-team format there? But then half the teams are making the post-season. So does that cheapen the regular season?
Or, would 8 "Super Regionals" be the answer so that only 25% make the post-season?
Or maintain the current Regional, Super Rergional, CWS format but at half the size? But then this would require a reformat of the CWS and you are still looking at 50% in the post-season.

The assumption there is a lot of programs will give up because they don't want to financially compete with the big dogs and don't have a realistic chance of making it to Omaha. However, that isn't fundamentally different than the current situation where a lot of the lower conference get their auto-bid 4 seed and get bounced at the regional round.

Those programs have a different definition of success. Winning a conference championship and making it to the regionals is a great season for them. If their conference mates are all at a similar level of partial funding, they can still be competitive within their conference and have a shot at that great season.
TAMU1990
AG
LesterHaze said:

The real impact is that a lot of times, inner city kids can't afford to pay for even part of college. That's why college baseball is mostly suburb kids from traveling teams. This will improve the player and team quality significantly.
No, because the entry cost is travel baseball. That will not change. If inner city kids can't afford travel baseball, then they won't be playing in college.
nereus
AG
I think the bigger reason why the smaller schools might drop baseball has MUCH more to do with having to pay their football and basketball players than it does with the increase in baseball scholarships. They are getting pushed further away from the big baseball schools so that doesn't help, but the reason they are going to cut programs is because they can't afford to lose money fielding a baseball team in this environment.

Maybe the baseball scholarship increase is the straw that breaks the camels back for a few programs, but it won't be the reason for most of the schools dropping baseball (if that does occur).
nereus
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

ensign_beedrill said:

Over 75% of the SEC made the NCAA tournament last year and the SEC baseball regular season was still a ton of fun! Over 50% of the ACC. It would depend on the numbers, but I don't think you will see a tournament with less of the big teams than you have now. Even if the top level shrinks dramatically like your hypothetical, it is going to be on the bigger side of whatever is possible.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
My assumption was that the top division would have the price of admission being funding the full scholarship limit and only teams that do that would be included in that division's post-season.
That would make a 64 team playoff seem stupid if you only had around that many teams.
Sean98
AG
Doesn't feel like this is worthy of its own thread, but here's some additional rule changes for 2025...

BiochemAg97
AG
Sean98 said:

Doesn't feel like this is worthy of its own thread, but here's some additional rule changes for 2025...

Suspensions for foreign substance won't matter unless you check for foreign substances during the game.
greg.w.h
AG
Are you saying if you don't check you won't find any?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.