Top 16 Watch

3,318 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by AgEng06
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is as of Monday, so it doesn't include this week's results, including midweek. I calculated it based on various sources (not polls). It is, of course, both highly subjective (the "formula" that is) and subject to change. Due to the subjectivity, I put the teams in quarters rather than slot them into a ranking, thus they may be in any order in that quarter.

Top Quarter:
A&M
Arkansas
Clemson
Tennessee

Second Quarter:
Kentucky (actually had them rated higher than Tenn, but it wasn't by much, so went with last weekend's results)
FSU
UNC
ECU

Third Quarter:
Wake
Georgia
Virginia
Duke

Fourth Quarter:
Indiana State
South Carolina
Coastal Carolina
Vanderbilt

"Fifth" Quarter:
Oregon State
UCSB
DBU
Louisiana

Most, maybe all, of these teams will likely put in a host bid and I think everyone on here except UCSB has hosted at one point or another (DBU??). The Fifth Quarter set is very subjective with one or more schools that could be included, including tech, Bama, and maybe even Nebraska. I had to weigh the data myself.

I'll run this again next week and see where we are.
Turf96
We are number one!! No need for a fancy formula, Aggies are always number one in my book.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Going to get the list for tomorrow early:

Top 4:
A&M
Tenn
Ark
Kentucky*

5-8:
Clemson*
FSU*
ECU*
UNC*

9-12:
Georgia
Oregon St.
SoCar
Virginia

13-16:
Indiana St.
DBU
Vandy
Oklahoma St.

Just out:
OU
Wake
Alabama
Duke/UCSB
rpr52121
AG
Any chance you could see UC Irvine get one of the top 16 spots, and hosting a regional?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Miss State is starting to make a case for hosting as well. But they will need to finish strong to make that happen.
Treycole01
AG
I hope DBU hosts a regional. Would love to go to some games! Before going down to College Station for a super!
twk
AG
Treycole01 said:

I hope DBU hosts a regional. Would love to go to some games! Before going down to College Station for a super!
They probably need to win their league (regular season) in order to host, but if they do, the RPI might be good enough. And, if the do, they could very well be 16 and us 1. It would give the committee some place else to send these Big XII teams that are just going to scrap in.
twk
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

Miss State is starting to make a case for hosting as well. But they will need to finish strong to make that happen.
They've got work to do on the RPI front. Right now they are 12-9 in SEC play, with an RPI of 28. Warren Nolan's RPI prediction has them finishing 17-13 (good enough to be considered), but with a 34 RPI (probably not good enough if they end up in 5th place). They host Bama, travel to Arkansas, then host Missouri. Probably would have to sweep Missouri, beat Bama 2-1, and get 1 win at Fayetteville. If they get to 18-12, I think the committee would overlook the RPI.
91AggieLawyer
AG
rpr52121 said:

Any chance you could see UC Irvine get one of the top 16 spots, and hosting a regional?

Possibly. The NCAA is definitely going to want some geographical diversity in their hosting spots. While Irvine and UCSB don't exactly have great parks for hosting, Irvine has hosted before and SB has put in a bid (don't think they've secured one, though). Irvine pretty much needs to win out given their low remaining SOS.
SchizoAg
AG
The more times the committee "overrules" the RPI because they believe they know better, the more RPI becomes a farce and the whole enterprise appears corrupt and hypocritical.
91AggieLawyer
AG
The RPI is a known farce. Unfortunately, as of now, it is one of several "tools" to use. No one has come up with others that everyone can calculate and/or plan for.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Update for 5/6. Numbers are based on games mostly through 5/7 as I didn't get to this the other day.

Top Quarter:

A&M
Kentucky
Ark
Tenn

Second Quarter:

Clemson
Georgia
UNC
FSU

Third Quarter:

ECU
SoCarolina
Virginia
Wake

Fourth Quarter:
Indiana St
Duke
Oregon St.
MissState/Alabama

Next Quarter:
Alabama/MissState
UCSB
OU
DBU

My opinion is that Clemson belongs in the top "quarter" as those 5 teams are head and shoulders above the rest. I'm pretty sure that, absent serious breakdowns, each of them will be a top 8 seed. After that, it gets interesting. The next group is the rest of the second quarter and all of the third quarter. But even then, there's a clear difference between Georgia, FSU and UNC and the rest. Alabama and State are neck and neck.

I still think there will be 2 West Coast hosts. I just don't know who that will be or if the location will have a different 1 seed. If you're only interested in the top 8, I'm pretty certain you can draw a line between the third and fourth quarter and there are 12 teams, 8 of which will be the top 8. But we'll see. Next 2 weeks will be fun.

I'm pretty sure that everyone on this list will submit a bid, as will a number of other teams. Twk or Luke may have some more historical data on that.
LOYAL AG
AG
Think they're going to have to reach to get two left coast hosts. Oregon State hasn't been good in about a month (7-8 in last 15) so how will they look like come seeding time. UCSB is RPI 16 with a series win at Oregon which is what's boosting their RPI. Their schedule is full of RPI 200+ teams. The next two west coast teams are San Diego and Irvine at 26 and 27. If the Beavers keep falling it's going to be hard to justify that pick and your second west coast host would be in the mid-20's with a lot of Q4 games. Just not much good baseball out west this year. I know how the committee tries to use host sites to grow the sport with fans but at some point you're trying to hard and it's not fair to teams that have played good baseball and earned those spots. I think your non-SEC/ACC hosts will be OU, OSU, ISU and ECU. Maybe one from out west.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
W
AG
last year the SEC and ACC combined for 12 of the 16 hosts. I would expect more of the same in 2024.

interesting that the #15 and #16 hosts in 2023 went to the SEC -- so the committee defaulted to the SEC for the final spots
W
AG
also figure that the SEC + ACC + Sun Belt = 22 teams in the field as 1, 2, or 3-seeds

so having many regionals in the southeast U.S. makes sense
AgEng06
AG
D1s latest projections...

https://instagr.am/p/C6uA91tuUWm
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.