Is Schloss ALREADY the best coach we've ever had on campus?

10,547 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by greg.w.h
Hungry Ojos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe Bear, but I don't believe that anyone else even comes close. Any thoughts?
Complete Idiot
"Hey guys we have a no hitter going in the 3rd - pass it back!"

Very good coach. I'm pretty confident we will be able to say what you are stating with many years of backing data at some point. But for now, it's early and this type of thinking leads to enormous and unnecessary contract extensions by A&M AD.
BoerneGator
AG
While he hasn't reached that pinnacle yet, I've no doubt that he will before he's done here.

Meanwhile, Jackie Sherrill enjoys that honor in my estimation.
dcaggie04
AG
I guess it depends on what your criteria the maks some one the best. Is it national championships in the coaches sport? If so, the Pat Henry is probably the greatest A&M coach because of the multiple NCs in men's and women's track.
greg.w.h
AG
The interesting thing about Jackie is the school was clearly cheating which acknowledges that shamateurism didn't work.
dermdoc
AG
Billy Clyde was pretty good for that short time. Not many times we have our basketball coach hired by Kentucky.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BoerneGator
AG
Fair point. I failed to remember Pat.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
here is what i know.

this is his third season and he has already gotten us further in the college world series than we had ever been. we finished in the top 4 in the rankings which has only been accomplished twice to my knowledge in the major men's sports since 1939.

jimbo 2020 covid season and schloss first season as our coach. jimbo clearly is not but i think schloss is the real deal and will go down as our best coach ever befor it is all said and done. hell he might even get us to play in a championship which hasn't been done since 1939. how is that even possible between football basketball and baseball? i will never know.
dermdoc
AG
greg.w.h said:

The interesting thing about Jackie is the school was clearly cheating which acknowledges that shamateurism didn't work.
Everybody was cheating. Sips were doing the exact same thing as us but we got made an example of because we beat them.

Then SMU pushed the envelope way too far. And beat the sips also.

We never should have fired Jackie. Needed Bow tie as President.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
greg.w.h
AG
Schloss winning an NC in his first five years would match Henry's time to NC after being hired in 2004. But Henry won men's and women's that year.

If Schloss wins this year then arguably yes.
jkag89
I think Gary Blair deserves a mention (a great ambassador for A&M on top of a Natty). I still love MJ despite the heartbreaks.
Luke The Drifter
AG
1. Pat Henry
2. Gary Blair
3. Homer Norton
4. Bob Brock
5. Schloss/Sherrill/Slocum/Gillispie/Bryant

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Capitol Ag
AG
No Homer Norton love? I mean, he did win a natty for football.
Edit: Luke beat me to it!

I do think Schloss is the real deal.
BoerneGator
AG
Can you name the schools that weren't? Are you trolling?
dermdoc
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Very good coach. I'm pretty confident we will be able to say what you are stating with many years of backing data at some point. But for now, it's early and this type of thinking leads to enormous and unnecessary contract extensions by A&M AD.
What is fascinating is Schloss seems much more interested in facility upgrades and NIL funding than his own personal earnings.

Refreshing.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Gary Blair and Pat Henry might like a word?
powerbelly
AG
dermdoc said:

Complete Idiot said:

What is fascinating is Schloss seems much more interested in facility upgrades and NIL funding than his own personal earnings.

Refreshing.
He gets the big picture.
Hungry Ojos
Fair enough. There is something about Schloss though that is unlike any other coach we've had. When I watch our baseball games, I am at COMPLETE peace and have full trust that he knows exactly what he's doing at all times. When we lose it's because we simply got beat, not out coached. It's never been like that (in my experience) with any other coach we've had. I truly believe he is the real deal.
Complete Idiot
dermdoc said:

Complete Idiot said:

Refreshing.
I really get the impression that his full focus, at this point of his career, is on winning a national title.

I think that is purely for his personal satisfaction and career accomplishments, but of course earnings will follow if that happens.
W
AG
I think the 2 better and more relevant questions would be...

is Schloss the best baseball coach A&M has ever had?

and/or

is Schloss currently the best coach on campus right now?
W
AG
and not to take anything away from T&F or tennis or golf or equestrian...

but the all-time coach discussion belongs among football, basketball, baseball, women's basketball, and softball. Maybe throw in soccer too
powerbelly
AG
W said:

but the all-time coach discussion belongs among football, basketball, baseball, women's basketball
FIFY
texAZtea
AG
W said:

but the all-time coach discussion belongs among football, basketball, baseball, women's basketball, and softball. Maybe throw in soccer too
Give reasons why those sports in particular have the monopoly on being relevant to the discussion outside of your own personal feelings or money.

Are they harder to coach? Or are T&F, tennis, golf, equestrian etc. not actually sports? What's the reasoning?
Mark Fairchild
AG
Well, if it is limited to Baseball, he is #1 by a HUGE margin, HUGE!!! He is the BEST in the nation, one of the youngest, and we will all LOVE his tenure here, praying for MANY more years!!!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
StinkyPinky
AG
I was personally track down the url to smack the person in the face that will be sure to criticize Schloss's coaching in the game thread of the first game we lose.
greg.w.h
AG
BoerneGator said:

I'm not trolling. And that was my point.
McInnis
AG
The problem with saying ever…

Homer Norton won us a SWC championship in baseball. And a national championship in football.
BoerneGator
AG
greg.w.h said:

BoerneGator said:

I'm not trolling. And that was my point.
Thought I knew you better than that. Sarcasm duly noted…
Sharpshooter
AG
dermdoc said:

Billy Clyde was pretty good for that short time. Not many times we have our basketball coach hired by Kentucky.
Well, we had a houndstooth jacketed and fedora wearing guy hired by Bama. However, despite your question I am sure you were talking BBall.
Luke The Drifter
AG
What made BCG such a great coach here was how he pulled the program up out of the literal depths of basketball hell, and did so very quickly. Even though it was a short 3-year stretch, without him there's a fair chance we'd still be suffering through Kermit Davis/Tony Barone/Melvin Watkins type seasons.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
TXAggie2011
AG
Bear Bryant might be the best coach we've ever had in terms of pure coaching ability, talent, and his overall career.

That Pat Henry has over half of our national championships and a decent chunk of our conference championships, I would say puts him as the best coach in terms of what they did while at A&M.

Schlossnagle is an excellent coach, it's been an exciting season so far, but let's give it a little more time.
APHIS AG
Well. the sips are very disappointed in Pierce and want to replace him and Schlos was mentioned as a replacement.

They are very apprehensive about next years SEC schedule.
austinag1997
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

1. Pat Henry
2. Gary Blair
3. Homer Norton
4. Bob Brock
5. Schloss/Sherrill/Slocum/Gillispie/Bryant

Agree with Pat Henry as #1. Probably Gary Blair as #2 also. The football amd baseball scrip is blank for me. Whether Sherrill or Slocum. Both were successful in their times. Show me a trophy in the Top 3 sports. Guess I think Schloss gives us the best chance.
OKCAGS
Good call on Brock , Schloss is the best baseball coach we have had …… Henry is best coach overall , not really close .
fightintxaggie10
AG
He was the greatest baseball coach after year one
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.