USC Pitcher's Dad upset with Ball 5 Chant

11,957 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by bradpick12
Luke The Drifter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also - and I hate that we've come to this - but thanks to NIL and the transfer portal, these "kids" are paid professional athletes with unlimited free agency. People want to flow tons of cash at these athletes (and you know the parents are all about it), but they don't want these athletes to be treated like adults. You can't have it both ways. You don't get to cash NIL checks and switch teams on a whim, but also get to live in a protective bubble where nothing difficult or uncomfortable will happen to you.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Aston94
AG
third deck said:

Just a little perspective…

… to even play at the D1 level, you have to be elite. Where this kid played his high school baseball, he would be decidedly in that elite category. I can guarantee you that JSerra high school is big on the A&M's staffs radar - and just about every program in the country.

To even be in that position- pitching as a freshman at a program like SC, this kid has put in hours upon hours, years upon years in bullpens and weight rooms and travelled the country chasing a game - that can at times be cruel.

So his dad is a little miffed. Of course he is. While posting a video was maybe not the best move, you can empathize with his frustration.

So he wants all the good of pitching at the D1 level but none of the bad? He wants the scholarship , the NIL, the girls, the crowds cheering him on, but Heaven forbid anyone from taunting my baby!

Weak.
Capitol Ag
AG
third deck said:

… to even play at the D1 level, you have to be elite. Where this kid played his high school baseball, he would be decidedly in that elite category. I can guarantee you that JSerra high school is big on the A&M's staffs radar - and just about every program in the country.

To even be in that position- pitching as a freshman at a program like SC, this kid has put in hours upon hours, years upon years in bullpens and weight rooms and travelled the country chasing a game - that can at times be cruel.

So his dad is a little miffed. Of course he is. While posting a video was maybe not the best move, you can empathize with his frustration.

As Luke pointed out, the dad is doing the kid no favors. If this kid wants to play in the majors (keep in mind MANY major leaguers are drafted at 18 out of HS), this kid is likely to face far worse than the Ball 5 chant. And, it's kinda well known especially since we joined the SEC. Maybe being from Cali they weren't aware but the coaches typically do scout out the atmosphere too to give their players a heads up. Probably hurt the dad more than the son.

Point is, this is baseball. Dad needs thicker skin. Yes, I say that having my own kiddos. Fans can be rough. Teach your kid to persevere through it, even to welcome it.
FTAG 2000
AG
tamc93 said:

If we ever play against him again, we should just SSSH SSSH him the whole time until he gets to Ball 5.

Na. Chant snow-flake over and over at him while he pitched
NyAggie
AG
this is what society has come to.

can't hurt anyone's feelings.

so in turn we can't say this or say that or do a horns down etc.... LOL

charnin society
tamc93
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

tamc93 said:

If we ever play against him again, we should just SSSH SSSH him the whole time until he gets to Ball 5.

That works too!
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Capitol Ag
AG
By the way, this might be one of the best user names on TA. Paul's Bunions. That's awesome!
94chem
If it makes him better, he needed it.

If it makes him worse, he needed to know.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
TAMUallen
AG
Guess sweet little daddy saw his YouTube views were unusually high and that the referring URL was texags. He has set the video to private.

Ball 5 will now be a haunting memory for all of the fam haha!
An L of an Ag
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

tamc93 said:

Snowflake, Snowflake!
(Clap. Clap. clapclapclap!)
dermdoc
AG
Is his last name Chatagnier?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
AG
Maaaaaaaybe they're cousins
texAZtea
AG
TAMUallen said:

Guess sweet little daddy saw his YouTube views were unusually high and that the referring URL was texags. He has set the video to private.

So, do we find his other videos about his kid and comment "Ball 5!"? or nah
McInnis80
I am sure he will get a nice welcome when he goes to UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington State, Fullerton and Long Beach from the fans. Of course he could only pitch at home games, but USC play zero games this year at their home park.
Captain Pablo
AG
third deck said:

Cmon man
TAMUallen
AG
texAZtea said:

TAMUallen said:

Haha no. He already has dealt with it and cried enough.
Turf96
Dudes from California. He is used to overthinking feelings. Hard to man up with one testicle. Feel bad for the kid. Maybe he can find a big brother program outside Cali so he can man up and tell dad close it.

I hate what California has done to its people. Beautiful land great weather and sissy people. Sad really.
Turf96
Dad sounds to me like a great candidate to be a transfer to the horns. Call the league office and ask for help from the bullies with their horns down and ball 5 chant.
UnderoosAg
AG
At the wedding of one of my cousins years ago, there was a dollar dance. There's a fair amount of cousins on that side of the family, and we all grew up together in various groups. So we had fun. As we always did. The groom cousin had a ridiculous amount of cash on him. Pinned to his pants leg, he had a tail of bills, he had a $20 bow in his hair - it became a contest to see who would pony up the biggest bill and how you could pin it on him. Made out like a bandit, and every single person* in that dancehall was laughing and having a great time, watching a big ol' crazy family having fun with one of their own. We'd a shanked someone messing with him outside the building, but he had to be sent off right.

Every single person but one. My uncle, the groom's dad. He was horrified at the treatment of his laughing-his-ass-off son. He actually threatened to shut down the band and stop the whole reception. And even my uncle thinks that pitcher's dad is a 81tch.
StinkyPinky
AG
third deck said:

Totally empathize, but have some constraint and maturity and avoid whining on the inter webs. Makes dad look jelly fish and not fair (embarrassing?) to his son.
StinkyPinky
AG
texAZtea said:

TAMUallen said:

Nah, don't want to kid to have to suffer. That dad got what he deserved, no need to make it worse. Let's take the high road.
frenchtoast
They don't call it University of Spoiled Children for nothing.
Craigy
You son is being compensated for his services. Maybe he should be doing something else.
Ragoo
AG
Dad throws balls too
drthoop
AG
dermdoc said:

Boom!!!!!!!
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
greg.w.h
AG
Aww…dad couldn't handle the heat, either…vid is now private…
dermdoc
AG
drthoop said:

dermdoc said:

Boom!!!!!!!

I sentence the pitcher's dad to watching Bull Durham 10 times back to back.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89
What would be hilarious is that the kid gets his control together, becomes a higher echelon pitcher, decides he wants to transfer to the SEC and opts for A&M. I'm sure daddy would then post vids on how great this all is.
TheBonifaceOption
I met a TCU pitcher who got ball 8 chanted. And he tells me he is still rattled hearing it. He's a schloss fan obviously so he will watch our games. But you know it's good when retired players are getting Vietnam flashbacks when they watch ESPN.
Loyalty
AG
The chant probably bugged the dad more than the son. Don't make it about yourself dad. And if you do, stay off social media to save your son the embarrassment.
Sean98
AG
So he made the video private?
dixichkn
AG
Sean98 said:

So he made the video private?

EVA3
AG
third deck said:

Sir, this is a Wendy's.
SbisaVictim95
AG
Maybe his kid will transfer to texas next year so dad can get all worked up about horns down too.
bradpick12
I mean…pitch better then, I guess. It's D1 Power 5 baseball. I'm not sure what to tell you…
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.