Youth baseball question

8,945 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TarponChaser
Colt98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's really a feeling and making sure he is having quality AB's. Strikeout and slumps happen. Is he swinging at good pitches? My son very seldom will pass up a fast ball no mater the count, unless the last batter walked in 4 pitches he may take the first pitch.

For my son, he never was a home run hitter. Was always the smallest on the team,.. in high school he grew to be one of the tallest, most athletic on his teams, but still never hit the long ball. Ii told him to keep hitting the ball hard and when he hit one and felt what it felt like they would start to come. His last select tourney last summer he finally hit one, and went one to hit 5 that weekend, getting noticed by the junior college he is now playing at. His swing now is such that he only has to make little tweaks. He's had 40 AB's this fall and has a 98% contact rate, but his avg is down do to hitting it right at people. On a side note, its crazy how many games and AB's JC players get. He will have 80+ this fall alone against some quality pitching.
houstonheightsag
AG
Yes, good pitches. He's still in the pitching machine level of little league, so while the pitches move due to seams and dirt, they're strikes for the most part.

I get what you're saying about feel. And hitting can be streaky. Trying to help him get back on the horse with it.

My guy is usually the tallest and strongest kid on the team (his uncles on his mom's side are both 6' 11") and so he can whack it when he makes contact, I think he'd love some fouls in a game situation at this point.

I think there's an element of too much expectation with his size and strength with himself, the coaches, and me, everyone gets excited by what he's doing in the cages says things like "man that would go a mile" etc, and I think he takes that to the plate in some overwhelming or distracting way mentally.

I plan to help him get that "feeling" of contact on game days by whacking at some balls in the cage or even to the side (they didn't do any warmup hitting in the 2 games so far).
Colt98
AG
I know it sounds simple but as little as making sure he is watching the ball hit the bat…. During a stretch of a few games a few years ago, my son had gotten into a funk where his swing looked great but he kept fouling off to many good pitches, putting himself in bad counts. We went back and looked at video and he stopped watching the ball to the bat. Simple fix and he hit like .800 the next weekend once he realized it.

Set up a tee with ball on it, have him look forward and imagine a pitch is coming in then find the ball and hit it.
Farmer1906
AG
Uh oh

SMM48
AG
JC Is the best. He will have 250-300 plate appearances this spring.
Goose06
AG
If you want to teach your kid the things that guy is teaching, go for it. The only drill I saw him teach on this thread would be a terrible way to teach young hitters to hit. This is a youth baseball thread, not a how do you tweak the best swing in all of MLB to make it better. Maybe that guy has more fundamentally sound drills meant for young hitters, but no one has posted a good example of one.
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

Uh oh

Did you even read that piece?

The biggest thing they talk about is hand position and Judge starting with his hands farther forward so that when he loads he doesn't coil too much and get his hands back too far causing him to get barred out and the loop in his swing. They talk about the timing mechanism.

Those things aren't controversial.

Where this Teacherman gets deserved flack is **** like the videos posted where he's teaching players to dump the barrel and the looping swing.

For pros it may be a "feel vs. real" but kids aren't advanced enough to get that.
Goose06
AG
And judge is going to strike out like 180 times this season. No doubt a great season of hitting, but the margin for error with the home run swing is very very low. Tony Gwynn struck out less than 180 times in the entire decade of the 1990s. Give me his swing mechanics for a young kid…
houstonheightsag
AG
A couple of hits tonight, double and an RBI single. After you mentioned it I went back to look at his swings and watching the ball was an issue, he'd get frustrated after missing on the first swing and/or second swing and then start moving his head with the swing in frustration.
Colt98
AG
Glad he's getting back on track. Something so simple can be so frustrating.
Jbob04
AG
Any drills to work on getting extension and finishing high after making contact?
Farmer1906
AG
Jbob04 said:

Any drills to work on getting extension and finishing high after making contact?
Pretend they pimping a HR. You can't finish low and pimp a HR. Its science.
aggielax48
AG
3/4 swings, can also incorporate a connection ball into that.
Split grip swings
TarponChaser
Jbob04 said:

See the 2-tee drill I posted a video of earlier in the thread.
adbono
Goose06 said:

And judge is going to strike out like 180 times this season. No doubt a great season of hitting, but the margin for error with the home run swing is very very low. Tony Gwynn struck out less than 180 times in the entire decade of the 1990s. Give me his swing mechanics for a young kid…

I'm not a baseball lifer but I'm damn close to it. Over 40 years in the game as a player, coach, instructor, and advisor. I have read this entire thread and Tarpon's comments are all on target. So is the comment about Tony Gwynn. No young player should attempt to swing the bat like Aaron Judge. And no instructor should be teaching launch angle to 12 year olds. It's utter nonsense. I don't like the term "dump the barrel" as I think too many don't understand what it means. I prefer calling it an uphill swing. It's a common problem in youth baseball b/c kids are getting so much poor instruction. I had first hand experience with this with my youngest son. Like a lot of kids, once he hit his first HR he tried to hit another one every next at bat. Pretty soon the swing was too uphill. I didn't try to fix it myself. I'm a pitching guy. I took him to the best hitting instructor I could find. Chad Allen. Some of you will recognize that Chad was an All American CF at A&M and played 7 years in MLB. Until a year ago he was the AA hitting instructor for the Chicago Cubs. It took six months of work but Chad changed my son from a very good HS player into an elite college hitter. The moral of the story is to get your son working with the best instructor you can find. Hint : it's probably not you.
Jbob04
AG
Any recommendations on a youth wood bat for 9u. We are playing in a couple of wood bat tournaments coming up and I'm wanting to get a bat for my son to get used to. Looks like everything is around a -5 on weight. He swings a 28" -10 composite bat currently.
Bassmaster
AG
Justbats.com has some -10 and -8 wood bats. I would focus more on making sure he can swing the bat vs. quality of the bat at that age. A -5 will probably be tough at that age unless he's a really big/strong kid.
Jbob04
AG
He's a strong kid but -5 would be too heavy for him. I didn't see the -10 wood bats when I looked at just bats originally but I just found them now. Thank you
Mister Mystery Guest
I follow Trey Hannam on social media and I know Mike Earley is a fan of him too.
Mister Mystery Guest
TarponChaser
FYI- justbats.com has some good sales right now. My oldest will need a BBCOR in the fall so I bought a new Easton "Green" for like $175 instead of $350. I figured I'd get it now and save a lot of money.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.