Asked Bjork a question regarding Olsen additions at PKO

14,840 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BQ_90
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bjork took questions during his appearance at the TexAgs Preseaon Kickoff today, so I asked him a question regarding funding for expansion at Olsen. He said that ticket revenue for baseball when he was at Ole Miss (including premium seating revenue) was around $4.5 million, whereas ticket revenue at A&M was $1.4 million. Don't know exactly how they hope to close that gap, but that appears to be a top priority for the renovation. 100 or 200 additional club seats won't cut it. It seems to me that either they are going to have to build a lot of suites, or they will have to do something radical like turn the entire first deck into club seating.
TXAGBQ76
AG
and our $1.4M is gross revenue- not net.
Leander - Ag
AG
No surprise with the demand for aggie baseball. We could be driving a lot more revenue with BB. Have missed this opportunity since it opened.
jmcfar_98
AG
Sounds like ticket prices are going up to me.
twk
AG
jmcfar_98 said:

Maybe. I guess it depends on how many additional season ticket seats they build that they can sell for something like current prices, and then how many suites they can build. Schloss wants to increase capacity, so maybe they will lean toward new seating as opposed to squeezing more out of the current seating. But, the one thing that it shouts to me is that we are going to have to build some revenue generating seating where the first base berm is located (third base has been a given since they started talking about renovations a few years ago).
Luke The Drifter
AG
jmcfar_98 said:

Even if we raise ticket prices by 25%, that only moves ticket revenue from $1.4MM to $1.75MM.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
TXAGBQ76
AG
true, but if we double the seating capacity (which Schloss said was his target) and a big percentage of those are premium seats with 12th Man donations attached, the revenue numbers can scale pretty good.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Well, as my grandad used to say "be careful what you asked, because you might just get it!". People have been begging for more season ticket availability- and this is the path to get us there.
twk
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

true, but if we double the seating capacity (which Schloss said was his target) and a big percentage of those are premium seats with 12th Man donations attached, the revenue numbers can scale pretty good.
I have a hard time seeing premium seating down the lines commanding the kind of prices required to fill the gap
twk
AG
Now that I'm on a tablet rather than my phone, let me provide a little more detail regarding the question and answer.

The way that I posed the question was, once the current fundraising campaign was over, the next in line would be non-revenue sports like baseball and soccer. When it came to funding those projects, I asked which of the approaches they would pursue: (1) raising the necessary funds through donations; (2) generating a revenue stream from new seating; or, (3) using revenue from other sources to fund the project . I didn't word the last one very well, but Bjork`s answer showed that he understood what I meant.

As to baseball, he related the revenue discrepancy previously mentioned, and that was about it (We were running out of time, and that was not a terribly brief answer, even though it wasn't a long one). As to soccer, he said that while a small portion of that project might come from donations, most of it would come from bond debt (i.e, be funded by football revenue). So, between those two answers, it seems to me that Bjork is expecting baseball to be more self-sufficient, while recognizing that true non-revenie sports will be funded from football revenue.
BANA89
AG
Not sure I get the math for the $1.4M. If there are 4,000 tickets sold per game at $12 each for 31 games (excluding NCAA playoffs) that is $1,488,000.

The sports website says we averaged 5,140 versus the old mark of 4,653 in 1999. We cancelled a couple of games and Stubhub suggested tickets started at $13, so 5,000 rounded at $13 for 33 games is $2,145,000. Maybe that was an unusual year, but that excludes seat donations as well.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
twk
AG
BANA89 said:

Not sure I get the math for the $1.4M. If there are 4,000 tickets sold per game at $12 each for 31 games (excluding NCAA playoffs) that is $1,488,000.

The sports website says we averaged 5,140 versus the old mark of 4,653 in 1999. We cancelled a couple of games and Stubhub suggested tickets started at $13, so 5,000 rounded at $13 for 33 games is $2,145,000. Maybe that was an unusual year, but that excludes seat donations as well.
The only seat donations are the club. Student sports passes don't show up as baseball revenue. Season tickets are sold at a slight discount to the individual game total cost.
Post removed:
by user
TXAGBQ76
AG
In a questionnaire that went out last year and this year, asked about interest in ground level seats in the outfield areas; it looked like seating behind the fielders from the views they showed. They might also require a 12th Man donation for seats behind first all the way around to third (hope not) making them "premium seats.
My seats in 209 have been the best value of all of the major sports forever, hope they don't go up too much.
Hop
Staff
AG
Right now, there simply aren't many seats for season tickets. Just adding 4,000 seats for season tickets (and I think there is pent-up demand for a large portion of that number and the rest being walk-up sales) at $450/seat is $1.8 MM…and that's before donations or adding a some additional suites. I think the gap can be closed pretty quickly.

I just can't get over how short-sided the AD was when they executed the Blue Bell project and reduced seating while going to the SEC. We shouldn't have to be in this position. We should have had a 10,000 seat stadium in 2012.
greg.w.h
AG
Hop said:

Right now, there simply aren't many seats for season tickets. Just adding 4,000 seats for season tickets (and I think there is pent-up demand for a large portion of that number and the rest being walk-up sales) at $450/seat is $1.8 MM…and that's before donations or adding a some additional suites. I think the gap can be closed pretty quickly.

I just can't get over how short-sided the AD was when they executed the Blue Bell project and reduced seating while going to the SEC. We shouldn't have to be in this position. We should have had a 10,000 seat stadium in 2012.
Do you know whether Bill Byrne was part of that deal with Blue Bell? His approach very much was to limit supply to maximize demand and revenue. Including to actively black out football games that did not sell out. I wouldn't call it short-sighted. But it didn't think like a minor league owner, either, on maximizing per-seat revenue rather than ticket revenue. Unfortunately Bjork's framing has the same focus.

One potential defect for the Blue Bell branding of the park could have been long-term use of temporary bleachers along first base in the old Olsen configuration. The revenue reveal shows why they needed the gift and why it remains a modest venue. And now the investment in coaching and other team staff has a apparently revenue "imbalanced." I have no doubt Schloss recognizes the problem and likely saw the things TCU did to differentiate their game day environment (which likely "moderated" his pay but also put the floor under it.)

If it were me: a solid, expandable rebuild focused on future revenue seems the best choice (same or basketball purpose-specific facility for Reed.). But that's real money for either. But to make money in non-major league sports you figure out how to build a unique game day that provides meaningful value for all income levels. I really love the clubs and seats below the first stadium boxes as well as the shotgun suites with just the seats out front to in essence hide empties among banks of fans.

I like the model for semi-revenue v. non-revenue. And appreciate that Title IX makes everything complicated and the pressure to fully enforce the spirit of Title IX in total dollars spent on women's v. men's athletic is only going to up. Going skinny on sports that cannot support themselves but giving them world-class venues that are expandable has been an interesting idea hung to watch in T&F and Softball. Clearly soccer is next. Fitting in promoting baseball to at least semi-revenue (pay for itself) allows the potential for meaningful profit in the future. Could get very interesting if Schloss repeats his first year access regularly!!!
LOYAL AG
AG
Hop said:

One thing from Schloss' time was a comment that we're "somewhat landlocked" at Olsen so they were focusing on how to maximize attendance in the space we have. That would seem to contradict the rumor you'd heard at some point that baseball was moving away from Olsen entirely.

I really thought the Blue Bell remodel was done before the move to the SEC. This is from the A&M website:

Quote:

The $24 million Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park opened in February 2012 and gave the Texas A&M Baseball program one of the country's crown jewels of collegiate stadiums to call home.
So yeah it was done before we moved which would suggest it was started before it was even decided. My impression has always been that the timing was unfortunate because Blue Bell was done before we moved while Byrne's vision for Kyle could be blown up and replaced with an SEC caliber venue.
Post removed:
by user
TXAggie2011
AG
I'm sure if folks gave them the money to build and do the upkeep for a 10,000 seat palace while also taking care of all the many other projects on campus, that they'd take the money and run…
Houstonag
AG
One problem that I see is season ticket holders of prime seats do not attend games mid week and some on weekend. That turns off people from attending because good seats are not available and they are empty perhaps as much as 50% of the time.

A new season ticket sale plan might be to sell individual tickets for each game. If a fan wants them all then they would pay for all but at a higher price for major games. Big series and weekend games are more of a premium. Football has variable pricing.
twk
AG
Houstonag said:

One problem that I see is season ticket holders of prime seats do not attend games mid week and some on weekend. That turns off people from attending because good seats are not available and they are empty perhaps as much as 50% of the time.

A new season ticket sale plan might be to sell individual tickets for each game. If a fan wants them all then they would pay for all but at a higher price for major games. Big series and weekend games are more of a premium. Football has variable pricing.

Don't derail this thread with tired complaint. It's been beaten to death.
Houstonag
AG
Mr. twk,

My comments are on target if we are considering building a new stadium or expanding Blue Bell. We need revenue the way I see it so what is your plan?
twk
AG
Houstonag said:

Mr. twk,

My comments are on target if we are considering building a new stadium or expanding Blue Bell. We need revenue the way I see it so what is your plan?
Not to run off season ticket holder because you don't think they are showing up enough. It's stupid idea that for some reason will not die. It has no place on this thread discussing renovations,
Houstonag
AG
The idea is on target in my circles. The season ticket plan needs to be totally reevaluated in order to maximize per game attendance and revenues. Marketing 101. Now that is not "stupid" mr. twk.
dermdoc
AG
twk said:

Houstonag said:

Mr. twk,

Not to run off season ticket holder because you don't think they are showing up enough. It's stupid idea that for some reason will not die. It has no place on this thread discussing renovations,
Amen.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
greg.w.h
AG
As one real estate agent reminded me: unless you build custom from the ground up (and even if you do due to costs and land), you are making choices and compromises. We definitely should listen to especially the revenue goals. Without focusing immediately on matching either tickets sold or total revenue, it has to go up. We bought the job of doing that by pushing for a hire like Schloss. Let's get it done whatever it takes. More seats and better gameday, more interesting good and gooderer fans and new friendships. Better fellowship in Texas churches almost always occurs alongside dinner on the grounds. Levy likely has limited their offerings compared to what they do elsewhere in part due to concerns about sellthrough. The whole game day experience and total per seat revenue is more important than just tickets. Envision a goal filled with people having fun and let's go get it done!!!
94chem
Why do all the games cost the same to attend? GA is worth $20 for SEC games, but maybe $6 for a Tues night against Abilene Christian.
Houstonag
AG
Good points here. That is why a total reevaluation of ticket pricing and the game day experience should be done. Revenue is needed therefore create a better experience throughout the season which will lead to higher attendance. Get fans in the seats.

Parking should also be addressed. I can drive up from Houston in less than 90 minutes but it takes 15 to 30 minutes to park, another 10 to 15 minutes to walk from Reed to the stadium, and then leaving another 30 minutes to get out.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Everyone had the same chance to have season tickets over the years. Some invested in the program well, well before the SEC opportunity came along. It's hard to have too much sympathy for those who suddenly decided maybe they should get tickets now and can't get them or can't get the ones they want.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Does anyone know when they will start renovating?
TXAGBQ76
AG
Not before all of the football work is done
Bucketrunner
Wish they had felt this way when the remodeled Kyle . . . but I digress.
Hop
Staff
AG
Houstonag said:

People are turned off because there aren't enough seats in the stadium…not because season ticket holders don't show up for Tuesday games.

But by the same token, season ticket holders are still paying the high prices for those mid-week games whether they show up or not. I'm not sure where the revenue complaint is coming from.
LOYAL AG
AG
Houstonag said:

The idea is on target in my circles. The season ticket plan needs to be totally reevaluated in order to maximize per game attendance and revenues. Marketing 101. Now that is not "stupid" mr. twk.
Well you've tried to derail this thread into one that rehashes the complaints about season ticket holders going to games on Tuesday nights but to this point you haven't offered any details with regard to a different means of pricing tickets. It SOUNDS like you think that in lieu of selling me all games for one bundled price they should charge $x for a low demand game and two $x for a high demand game then charge me a premium above all of that. Is that a fair read on your plan?

I sit in 104, Row 3 and have been in that general area since 1996. That's 27 years as a 100% guaranteed sale for every game. All games in 2000 were sold. All games in 2005 were sold. All games in 2021 were sold. Hell all games in 2020 were sold because I donated the unused portion to the department. How does your plan for selling them at a premium as individual games work in a down year? Sure it's great in a year where everyone wants to be there but we lost the last 18 games of the 2000 season or something absurd like that but, you know what? All those empty seats were paid for.

This year my seats were $420 or $450, I forget. Next year I'm guessing they'll either ask for $500 or a per seat donation and I'll pay it. How you break that down seems wholly irrelevant, season tickets are the lifeblood of ticket sales and they aren't going to break them up into individual game tickets on the chance that a cold Tuesday in February against Prairie View has more people in attendance or that LSU yields more money on paper. They've sold all games for my two seats, that's easily the best solution from their perspective and there's really not another option for those seats that worth discussing. If I've misread your "plan" please elaborate because to this point you've not really shared much in the way of details.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.