Story Poster
Photo by Brianna Hillman, TexAgs
Texas A&M Softball

A&M softball all-time great Tori Vidales reflects on Jo Evans' career

May 24, 2022

Former Aggie softball player and current SEC Network analyst Tori Vidales joined Tuesday's edition of TexAgs Radio to share her perspective on Jo Evans' time at Texas A&M, the future of the program moving forward and more.

Key notes from Tori Vidales interview

• I was holding back tears yesterday. She built this program from the ground up. I think we all knew it was probably time, but it's still sad. I don't think I was surprised, but you never know until you actually hear the news. I'm excited for the future of the program. Davis Diamond will be a huge recruiting tool for the program.

• She took over at Texas A&M 26 years ago. I joke that she had been at A&M as long as I'd been alive. It wasn't just on the field but off of it as well. She is probably a huge part of me having the job I have now with the SEC Network. She allowed me to miss recruiting events to work with 12th Man Productions when I was in school. I also get to come back and call games now on SEC Network+. She gave me that information and was very open with me.

• She always wanted what was best for Texas A&M and the Aggie Softball program. You saw that with how she welcomed back former players. She always wanted us around.

• I committed at the age of 14 at the Aggie Softball summer camp. I hadn't seen my parents in a while before they dropped me off at the camp. My parents came to pick me up on that final day of camp and my grandparents were there to pick me up, and I got so excited. Jo invited me, my parents and my grandparents into the office. She started telling me what she saw in me as a player and a person. She offered me a scholarship that day in her office. I committed on the spot right then and there. It was quite possibly the easiest, and best, yes of my life.

• The chemistry of the 2017 Aggie Softball team was out of this world. We had some young freshmen who were vital at that time. I look at Sarah Hudek who contributed so much despite not having a lot of softball experience; she played baseball growing up. I think we just grew as the season went on. I think that chemistry and Trinity Harrington getting healthy was huge. Trinity also had a huge loss that season in losing her father during regionals. I felt like we played for her.

• Whenever I was committed, they said Davis Diamond would be done my sophomore year, but it then got finished my senior year. I saw that facility come together from the ground up. The coolest part was acknowledging that the 2018 Aggie Softball class left their legacy with the program similar to the 2008 team. Davis Diamond was a huge stepping stone for the program and coach Evans earned that.

• I sure hope Aggie Softball hires a big name. I personally would love to see a woman in the top spot. I think the big thing is the next coach needs to love Texas A&M the way we do as former players. For me, putting on the Maroon & White was one of the greatest opportunities of my life. I want us to continue to play the game the right way. I hope the next coach of this university brings that same mentality and brings in some players that understand those values.

• I love being in the broadcast world. We were at the field for a 12-hour day at the SEC Softball Tournament. I've always enjoyed media. I love being able to take my on-field knowledge to the broadcast booth.
Discussion from...

A&M softball all-time great Tori Vidales reflects on Jo Evans' career

3,514 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jigsaw87
LatinAggie1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BohunkAg
AG
Didn't Bob Brock win two national championships here? I love Tori Vidales, but she didn't exactly build the program from the ground up.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
BohunkAg said:

Didn't Bob Brock win two national championships here? I love Tori Vidales, but she didn't exactly build the program from the ground up.

She was talking about Davis Diamond.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Jo did build it up...back up that is... Aggie softball was an afterthought a few years after Shawn Andaya left. We weren't NCAA relevant again until Megan Gibson amd Amanda Scarborough.
jigsaw87
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.