Schlossnagle?

58,095 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by AggiePetro07
Lance Uppercut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At least be honest about it...Jimbo had 2 very good seasons out of 3 following a national championship.

Schlosssnagle had 2 bad seasons in the Big 12 and very disappointing 3rd season finish and no championship.
TAM85
powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

mwm said:

I am not pro- or anti- Schlossnagle.

But, why in the world are we looking to spend 7-digits per year on a coach that just went two-and-que at his own regional?
And a guy who until this year has not had a winning record in the Big 12 since 2017.
A two-season downturn after 4 straight CWS appearances. The horror.
You know he is 0 for 5 in his opportunities to win a championship.
ftworthag02
AG
so who's your choice?
powerbelly
AG
TAM85 said:

powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

mwm said:

But, why in the world are we looking to spend 7-digits per year on a coach that just went two-and-que at his own regional?
And a guy who until this year has not had a winning record in the Big 12 since 2017.
And?

He is more accomplished than anyone else on the list fans have been throwing around.

He has been closer to a championship than we have ever been and we have been at it continually since 1904. He made the semi-finals every trip to the CWS except for 2014.
aginlakeway
AG
TAM85 said:

powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

mwm said:

So who is your first choice? Someone I assume who has won a title?
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
BQ_90
AG
aginlakeway said:

TAM85 said:

powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

mwm said:

So who is your first choice? Someone I assume who has won a title?

the answer will be, "I don't have a favorite" or something like that.

I guess so just don't want Schoss, which is fine, but the criteria of not winning a title is somewhat odd to me.
inch05
AG
did someone update wikipedia to show he was our coach in 2022?
sportsfreak1975
inch05 said:

did someone update wikipedia to show he was our coach in 2022?
I just saw that too. Gotta love Wikipedia!
TxAg76
AG
I'm in the Vitello camp.
nereus
AG
mwm said:

Well, they didn't go two-and-que.

But even if they did, it is because going two-and-que in one season doesn't correlate to not being successful in future seasons. Corbin went 2-and-que in their home regional in 2016. Won the CWS three years later. O'Sullivan went 2-and-que in a home regional in 2014. Won the CWS three years later.
TAM85
My choices and the reasons are posted on the other coaching threads. For the last month my preferences have been Vitello, Bakich and Jarrett- in that order. I would have liked to have signed Tadlock, but didn't think we could get him to leave Lubbock.

I have talked with or received information on guys that have coached with, played for, been a parent of a player or is an AD in the coach's conference for Bakich, Jarrett and Schloss. I don't think I know anyone connected to Vitello other than Van Horn, but I am not going to contact Dave ask about that.

If we end up hiring Schloss, I hope I can look back three or four years from now and say, "man, I was wrong". If it does not work out with Schloss I don't want to hear the guys pushing him hide behind the "he has been to the CWS 5 times" mantra.
greg.w.h
AG
Schloss made the F4 equivalent four times out of five trips. Did not advance past there once, but RC would still be here if he did that. That he also beat RC to advance in back-to-back S16 equivalent series is also worth remembering.

He's 50 and if he has health issues he probably won't last ten years, and we don't know how much of his recruiting is due to being at TCU.

I think we are going to get who we get, but Schloss is definitely an upgrade on paper if we get him. But they play on grass not paper. . .
KBAGOLFER
I love the guys who bark but have NO CHOICE....

My Choice in Order

Vitello
Schloss
Jarrett
Bakich
powerbelly
AG
hunter2012 said:

Quote:

I think Schloss has burned some bridges at TCU but being vocal about his displeasure in how the administration handled seating at Lupton may have been what sealed the deal.

What's the story here?
He was made a lot of promises by Del Conte that the current AD has not followed through on. He also was apparently really unhappy with how TCU handled attendance during covid.
agforlife97
AG
powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

mwm said:

And?

He is more accomplished than anyone else on the list fans have been throwing around.

He has been closer to a championship than we have ever been and we have been at it continually since 1904. He made the semi-finals every trip to the CWS except for 2014.
Vitello has never been to the CWS. I find it astonishing people would want him over Schloss.
Faustus
powerbelly said:

hunter2012 said:

Quote:

I think Schloss has burned some bridges at TCU but being vocal about his displeasure in how the administration handled seating at Lupton may have been what sealed the deal.

What's the story here?
He was made a lot of promises by Del Conte that the current AD has not followed through on. He also was apparently really unhappy with how TCU handled attendance during covid.
F 16 suddenly looks intrigued.
TAM85
agforlife97 said:

powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

mwm said:

And?

Vitello has never been to the CWS. I find it astonishing people would want him over Schloss.
Vitello has been to and coached in the CWS with Van Horn. You can look it up, but I think Schloss was only there once at 42.
TarponChaser
agforlife97 said:

powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

mwm said:

And?

Vitello is younger and has taken Tennessee from being a complete non-entity to a legit national power in the toughest college baseball conference in the country in 4 seasons.

I'm not saying I'd prefer him to Schlossnagle or not but it's a reasonable take.
ftworthag02
AG
Does A&M baseball have a start of the season banquet? I know we have aggie leadoff.

Schloss started the First Pitch Banquet which is a formal event that is usually held at the Omni Fort Worth. He brings in famous guests, former & current major leaguers many of which are his former players like Matt Carpenter and Jake Arrieta. They raise a ton of money for equipment, travel, and scholarships.

He knows how to run a big time program and that's what you need to be able to compete with the big boys like Vandy, Florida, lsu, state, etc.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/kjvkG9s9_XT3qkNhX0NqeafV67NTumz0jTUTOTXbb6ZVMRwZJNbKh_gHwdqxqrMvQ1uVTY02sRZxFzEc-MIic5rnQLnN5VqhufN3TMVFJcVyjefknQ

TXAggie2011
AG
Calling Tennessee a "legit national power" is premature at this point in time.
powerbelly
AG
agforlife97 said:

powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

mwm said:

And?

I get it. If you think Vitello is going to be the next big thing then get him now. I think he is really good and has a great career ahead of him.

I do wonder if he leave Tennessee at this point.
dermdoc
AG
TAM85 said:

My choices and the reasons are posted on the other coaching threads. For the last month my preferences have been Vitello, Bakich and Jarrett- in that order. I would have liked to have signed Tadlock, but didn't think we could get him to leave Lubbock.

I have talked with or received information on guys that have coached with, played for, been a parent of a player or is an AD in the coach's conference for Bakich, Jarrett and Schloss. I don't think I know anyone connected to Vitello other than Van Horn, but I am not going to contact Dave ask about that.

If we end up hiring Schloss, I hope I can look back three or four years from now and say, "man, I was wrong". If it does not work out with Schloss I don't want to hear the guys pushing him hide behind the "he has been to the CWS 5 times" mantra.
Great post.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ftworthag02
AG
first pitch banquet video (rough)

https://vimeo.com/86709805

hunter2012
AG
Is TCU still a gimp junior member of the Big 12 or are they still getting a smaller slice? I'd be curious how they're doing financially.

I'd image that Schloss wouldn't need to raise money at the start of each season at A&M. The fundraising is built in already with TMF. Seriously just win and keep us in the top 10 and the money/support will be there(and no more half capacity).
powerbelly
AG
hunter2012 said:

Is TCU still a gimp junior member of the Big 12 or are they still getting a smaller slice? I'd be curious how they're doing financially.

I'd image that Schloss wouldn't need to raise money at the start of each season at A&M. The fundraising is built in already with TMF. Seriously just win and keep us in the top 10 and the money/support will be there(and no more half capacity).
I disagree. Baseball always could use extra money to take pressure off AD overall.

For example, I think the Dugout Club could be better run and bring in more money for baseball.
BQ_90
AG
powerbelly said:

hunter2012 said:

I disagree. Baseball always could use extra money to take pressure off AD overall.

For example, I think the Dugout Club could be better run and bring in more money for baseball.
how? The Dugout club gets bigger each year. Now they moved it to Rec center because levy was charging so much.

but not sure how they can make it bigger. And that money is more to handle stuff the AD can't really pay for.
LeagueCityAg
AG
I'm currently hoping for Vitello, but I would not be mad about Schloss. Either one of them is an upgrade over Childress.
powerbelly
AG
BQ_90 said:

powerbelly said:

hunter2012 said:

how? The Dugout club gets bigger each year. Now they moved it to Rec center because levy was charging so much.

but not sure how they can make it bigger. And that money is more to handle stuff the AD can't really pay for.
To start with, maybe have a webpage with dugout club details. If you type it into google you get a pdf from 2019

When I say take pressure off the AD I mean paying for things so that you aren't asking for more money when possible.
BQ_90
AG
powerbelly said:

BQ_90 said:

powerbelly said:

hunter2012 said:

To start with, maybe have a webpage with dugout club details. If you type it into google you get a pdf from 2019

When I say take pressure off the AD I mean paying for things so that you aren't asking for more money when possible.
well the Dugout club mostly pays for the charity work the team does and things around the locker room that the AD won't or normally can't pay for. Also I think the coaches like having control over those funds, where if it's larger then the AD most likely would control it.

I'd actually venture the AD doesn't want the competition, they'd prefer you donate directly to AD and not thru the dugout club. Unless that changed, I thought the Dugout club was actually ran thru the foundation and not the TMF. But I might be wrong.
MaroonStain
AG
If the choice is Schloss then we did a Sumlin/Fran job to the baseball program.
Aggiehunt
AG
MaroonStain said:

If the choice is Schloss then we did a Sumlin/Fran job to the baseball program.

Come again?
vander54
S
Lol
chase2514
TarponChaser said:

agforlife97 said:

powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

powerbelly said:

TAM85 said:

mwm said:

And?

Vitello is younger and has taken Tennessee from being a complete non-entity to a legit national power in the toughest college baseball conference in the country in 4 seasons.

I'm not saying I'd prefer him to Schlossnagle or not but it's a reasonable take.

I don't think some of y'all (not you specifically but the ones saying they wouldn't want Schlossnagle) understand the deep depths of the abyss at which he pulled TCU out of. Tennessee wasn't a non-entity when he got there, they had 4 CWS appearances and 9 NCAA tournament appearances, nothing to write home about but not a non-entity.

TCU was nothing but a piece of lent in the history of college baseball, not even a footnote. 2 NCAA tournament appearances all-time when Schloss got there... That is a non-entity. Jim is responsible for all 5 of their CWS appearances, all 7 of their regional championships, 15 of their 17 NCAA tourney appearances, all 7 of their conference tourney championships, and 12 of their 19 regular season championships. Jim Schlossnagle is TCU baseball and he didn't take them to the top beating on the sisters of the poor or catching a 4 seed in a super, his first CWS appearance he went into Austin and beat a 50-13 Texas team that went 24-3 in Big 12 play and was the #2 national seed. It was pretty much the exact same Texas team (arguably better) that lost to LSU the year prior in the title game. You can think Tony Vitello is going to be the next Augie Garrido, Skip Bertman, or whatever but there is no doubt that Jim Schlossnagle is the best hire out there as far as skins on the wall.

Lastly why do people keep bringing up his age? He is 8 years older than Vitello. He is only 50, means he probably has at least 15 good years left.
Sher Thing
dixichkn
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Y'all are smoking crack if you think schloss would come to A&M. He's got it too good at tcu, similar to GP.
1. Top 5 contract in the country.
2. If he needs improvements, he gets it.
3. Lives just down the street from Lupton
4. His pitching coach is one of the top assistants in the country and he recruits the entire country
5. Has support from his previous players like Matt Carpenter and Jake Arrieta that come back every year for the alumni game
6. No pressure from tcu athletic department or alumni.

Well now. That aged well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.