Schlossnagle?

58,058 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by AggiePetro07
SwimboJimbo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That super at TCU was the best weekend of baseball I have ever seen in person.
Sandman98
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

I am aware of his deal at Vandy; however, Schloss has the same deal at TCU and he's being discussed. I am not privy of how a deal could be worked out for him to come, but I would like to see us "swing for the fences"!

We'd need a pro-bono Aggie accountant to help both of them manage to 11.7. They aren't used to that. Our fans would be so confused when we weren't marching to Omaha every year.
twk
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

I am aware of his deal at Vandy; however, Schloss has the same deal at TCU and he's being discussed. I am not privy of how a deal could be worked out for him to come, but I would like to see us "swing for the fences"!
TCU's endowment is chicken feed, compared to Vandy's, and their financial aid isn't nearly as generous. It's enough to make the competitive with the state schools, but it's not the huge advantage that Vandy has.
Mark Fairchild
AG
I would love to see us try!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
SwimboJimbo
AG
I'd rather see Vitello make use of the rain delay and go see some houses around town.
Sandman98
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

I would love to see us try!

"But we made a Jimbo like hire so why didn't it work?"

-Texags in 3 years
Mark Fairchild
AG
Sounds like MLB kind of money. It's April, our game has been canceled, and I am watching Vanderbilt play baseball like I would love to see the AGS play. Can't blame me for dreaming, can you?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
TXAggie2011
AG
twk said:

Mark Fairchild said:

Watching Vandy and MS ST, why not go after Corbin? Hey, dream big like we did for Jimbo! Corbin bandwagon, who's game?
Why not Corbin? Because he wouldn't get to take his unlimited pool of scholarship money with him. Vandy basically plays by a different set of rules. With their endowment, all but the wealthiest students are on academic scholarship of some kind, which means that any baseball prospect who can get into school will get a big financial aid package, which allows them to use their scholarship money to top off the bill for their top prospects. Corbin might be the best coach in the game, but it's hard to say given that the playing field is not at all level.

Eh. It's been less than a year since the rule changed about need-based aid. That's not how Corbin built that program.
Sandman98
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

twk said:

Mark Fairchild said:

Watching Vandy and MS ST, why not go after Corbin? Hey, dream big like we did for Jimbo! Corbin bandwagon, who's game?
Why not Corbin? Because he wouldn't get to take his unlimited pool of scholarship money with him. Vandy basically plays by a different set of rules. With their endowment, all but the wealthiest students are on academic scholarship of some kind, which means that any baseball prospect who can get into school will get a big financial aid package, which allows them to use their scholarship money to top off the bill for their top prospects. Corbin might be the best coach in the game, but it's hard to say given that the playing field is not at all level.

Eh. It's been less than a year since the rule changed about need-based aid. That's not how Corbin built that program.

Ok. They opened the funds in 2000 but go off.
Sandman98
AG
Let me be clear. Corbin is great. Right guy at the right time and could be successful anywhere. Just not that successful. Stop crowning kings.
TheAngelFlight
Sandman98 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

twk said:

Mark Fairchild said:

Ok. They opened the funds in 2000 but go off.
The kid's correct. Prior to last August, need-based financial aid was countable if the athlete was a counter...

https://www.lrt-sports.com/blog/policy-update-on-merit-needs-based-and-athletic-scholarships-in-the-ncaa/

Quote:

Equivalency athletes are already underfunded, but in addition, according to the current phrasing of Bylaw 15.5.3.2, in equivalency sports, "once a student becomes a counter, the institution shall count all institutional aid" toward their team's scholarship limit. The NCAA's new ruling is significant, because it would allow an equivalency athlete to receive a merit or needs-based scholarship in addition to an athletic scholarship in order to fill the gaps in his/her financial aid package without counting against their team's scholarship limits.

But by all means, go off...
Sandman98
AG
Bless your heart
TheAngelFlight
Sandman98 said:

Bless your heart
Do you ever have anything productive to say?
Sandman98
AG
I'll let him say it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/journalnow.com/college-baseballs-inequality/article_20fdcfe8-db67-5875-80d5-3e5c6013f51f.amp.html
aginlakeway
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Y'all are smoking crack if you think schloss would come to A&M. He's got it too good at tcu, similar to GP.
1. Top 5 contract in the country.
2. If he needs improvements, he gets it.
3. Lives just down the street from Lupton
4. His pitching coach is one of the top assistants in the country and he recruits the entire country
5. Has support from his previous players like Matt Carpenter and Jake Arrieta that come back every year for the alumni game
6. No pressure from tcu athletic department or alumni.

So ... pass the crack pipe?
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
wilhunting
fieldtrailer
AG
Another coach running from divorce and needing a ton of money to pay for it. Not crazy about it.
Spyderman
AG
aginlakeway said:

ftworthag02 said:

Y'all are smoking crack if you think schloss would come to A&M. He's got it too good at tcu, similar to GP.
4. His pitching coach is one of the top assistants in the country and he recruits the entire country
5. Has support from his previous players like Matt Carpenter and Jake Arrieta that come back every year for the alumni game

Just perhaps....he wants to get out of Ft. Worth.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
SchizoAg
AG
aginlakeway said:

ftworthag02 said:

Has something been announced?
vander54
S
SchizoAg said:

aginlakeway said:

ftworthag02 said:

Has something been announced?

Not yet but there have been some strong hints on premium.
tcufaninpeace
I have been lurking on here and decided it was time to make an account.

TCU fans have been spoiled over the last 10 years with Schloss at the helm. 5 trips to Omaha in 10 seasons is an accomplishment that we shouldn't dismiss. But as we all know, when you have success your measuring stick grows. These last three seasons have been extremely interesting within the program and it all dates back to when Schloss was flirting with MSU and even rumblings to follow Del Conte to Texas.

There is baggage that comes with Schloss. He loves to have total control over the program. It truly his way or the highway. He wants a white-collar team and used to have the rule of no visible tattoos or facial hair. He does try to pull some Bush League stuff and will be very picky about the rules, but it's always calculated. Schloss will also drive you crazy when making head-scratching decisions and over-manage the game based on lefty-righty matchups.

At the end of the day, we owe what we have to Schloss and when he leaves, whenever that is will sting but we will still admire what he brought to our university. Schloss is a great baseball coach and he would be a great hire for the Aggies. I think Schloss has burned some bridges at TCU but being vocal about his displeasure in how the administration handled seating at Lupton may have been what sealed the deal.
W
AG
we should know in a couple of days
wilhunting
AG
I suspect Schloss flirting with other SEC schools would grow tiresome among the TCU folks. You can't blame him for ultimately wanting to coach in the SEC which seems to be the pinnacle. I was actually shocked when he stayed and didn't take the MSU job which leads me to believe he knew the TAMU job would be available soon. I think we've had an agreement in place with Schloss for awhile now and it's about to be official. I personally think this is a fantastic hire and he's a top 5 coach. I'm biased but also think TAMU is a top 5 program and should be a staple in Omaha. I get the feeling Schloss knows he can recruit lights out here and can build a monster in the SEC while getting to stay in Texas. If we can pull off this hire and make all the necessary facility upgrades it would be a heck of a coupe. Olsen Field would be consistently sold out and become the best atmosphere in college baseball - which is what it should be IMO.
TempleAg97
AG
wilhunting said:

I suspect Schloss flirting with other SEC schools would grow tiresome among the TCU folks. You can't blame him for ultimately wanting to coach in the SEC which seems to be the pinnacle. I was actually shocked when he stayed and didn't take the MSU job which leads me to believe he knew the TAMU job would be available soon. I think we've had an agreement in place with Schloss for awhile now and it's about to be official. I personally think this is a fantastic hire and he's a top 5 coach. I'm biased but also think TAMU is a top 5 program and should be a staple in Omaha. I get the feeling Schloss knows he can recruit lights out here and can build a monster in the SEC while getting to stay in Texas. If we can pull off this hire and make all the necessary facility upgrades it would be a heck of a coupe. Olsen Field would be consistently sold out and become the best atmosphere in college baseball - which is what it should be IMO.

Sounds good to me. Let's go!
hunter2012
AG
Quote:

I think Schloss has burned some bridges at TCU but being vocal about his displeasure in how the administration handled seating at Lupton may have been what sealed the deal.

What's the story here?
TAMU1990
AG
hunter2012 said:

Quote:

I think Schloss has burned some bridges at TCU but being vocal about his displeasure in how the administration handled seating at Lupton may have been what sealed the deal.

What's the story here?
TCU15 maybe?

I would like to know too. Are we discussing facility improvements?
ftworthag02
AG
hunter2012 said:

Quote:

What's the story here?
Thats what I'm curious about.

Welcome to Texags!

By the way, tcu fans should be disappointed by the tcu turnout yesterday afternoon. Saw a lot of empty seats. If you want to brag about being a top 10 baseball program in the country and having a great "atmosphere" at lupton, etc, then you need to support your team even in a elimination game.
Spyderman
AG
tcufaninpeace said:

I have been lurking on here and decided it was time to make an account.

TCU fans have been spoiled over the last 10 years with Schloss at the helm. 5 trips to Omaha in 10 seasons is an accomplishment that we shouldn't dismiss. But as we all know, when you have success your measuring stick grows. These last three seasons have been extremely interesting within the program and it all dates back to when Schloss was flirting with MSU and even rumblings to follow Del Conte to Texas.

There is baggage that comes with Schloss. He loves to have total control over the program. It truly his way or the highway. He wants a white-collar team and used to have the rule of no visible tattoos or facial hair. He does try to pull some Bush League stuff and will be very picky about the rules, but it's always calculated. Schloss will also drive you crazy when making head-scratching decisions and over-manage the game based on lefty-righty matchups.

At the end of the day, we owe what we have to Schloss and when he leaves, whenever that is will sting but we will still admire what he brought to our university. Schloss is a great baseball coach and he would be a great hire for the Aggies. I think Schloss has burned some bridges at TCU but being vocal about his displeasure in how the administration handled seating at Lupton may have been what sealed the deal.
Good stuff-thanks.

Sounds like he may just want to move on. Hopefully, he will approve of any seating issues at Olsen.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
mwm
I am not pro- or anti- Schlossnagle.

But, why in the world are we looking to spend 7-digits per year on a coach that just went two-and-que at his own regional?
aginlakeway
AG
mwm said:

But, why in the world are we looking to spend 7-digits per year on a coach that just went two-and-que at his own regional?

Because we can look at the entire body of work when making such a big decision.

Do you know what Jimbo's record was in his last season at Florida State? I assume you were against that hire because of that record?

"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
AG
mwm said:

Do you always judge on a sample size of one?
powerbelly
AG
mwm said:

Because he has taken TCU to more CWS wins than we have amassed in our entire program history. He has consistently put his teams in position to host superregionals. He has won the big 12 regular season 3 times and the conference tournament 3 times since 2013.

All this at a program that was on the verge of giving up the baseball program.
TAM85
mwm said:

And a guy who until this year has not had a winning record in the Big 12 since 2017.
powerbelly
AG
TAM85 said:

mwm said:

And a guy who until this year has not had a winning record in the Big 12 since 2017.
A two-season downturn after 4 straight CWS appearances. The horror.
Spyderman
AG
mwm said:

There is probably a reason why his team went 2 and sue.

The greater good?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.