Aggie Softball Progress

47,004 Views | 360 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
MenOfKyle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Very proud of the progress the Aggie softball team is making. These ladies battle and are fun to watch. I know everyone was ready for a change in the staff, but they are starting to get it going. Keep it up ladies! Gig'em!

TxA&Mhunter
AG
Let's see what happens in sec play.. I think that's gonna be the more telling of their progress...
greg.w.h
AG
The pitching is clearly better as is the offense. But I agree SEC play is the gold standard.
Bucketrunner
They are battling much much better than last year
Belton Ag
AG
They are much better as of late, but have a long way to go. I'm afraid SEC offenses are going to eat up our infield defense, and while pitching is solid, all of them seem to labor in the circle a little too much. Batters are going deep into counts and fouling away too many pitches. Of course, I'd imagine it's pretty difficult with the pressure they're under to feel like they have to strike out hitters because they can't depend on the defense. If and when that phase of the game gets better this team will turn a corner. Until then it'll be a long conference season.

On a bright note, you gotta go to Davis Diamond and watch Haley Lee batt. She' just incredible this season.
Wooahhhh
AG
I'm looking forward to watching Uribe her first time through the SEC. I like her and Broadus. I think it starts with pitching for the Ags. UT game was a sneak peek.
Bucketrunner
Headed that way now! Best entertainment in town for the money.
KBAGOLFER
Belton Ag made some good points. Here's the deal that he's missing. Tennessee is less than 2 ft away from a walkoff win. Herzog change up in the dirt is how they scored which Lee blocked well it just took a weird kick.

The 1st series of the year the girls didn't practice the week before on the dirt and batting practice was in cages Thursday night. The only swings they took all week. If you look at baseball and softball both have 2 of their losses after not being able to practice.

Texas Tech, CSU, and Xavier are use to getting ready in cold or tough conditions do to where their located states. I would caution anyone to tell me as somebody who couldn't eat for days, and the loss of power and water affected you, think about our players away from their families, and now go play. They aren't robots
Sananag
Haven't really played anyone. The good opponents we lost to. Kinda like the baseball team.
MenOfKyle
AG
How about last night's victory. Promise you this team is something special
sharpdressedman
Pitchers cannot depend on the defense.
Amarillo Slim
AG
Hop, what is Evans contract status?
"Real happiness comes not from getting what we desire; but celebrating what we have."
Artimus Gordon
LSU beat us 6-1 yesterday on SECN no less. We got a whopping 3 hits! Looked like The same ol same ol from a Jo Evans team. Disappointing that we were that sloppy on a televised game. Rubber match this afternoon!
mullokmotx
AG
Did it seem to anyone else watching that the umpire's strike zone got bigger when we were at bat? One of our batters struck out on a pitch that was around the ankles.
Artimus Gordon
I noticed in the first inning 2 were out and the LSU player had just gotten a hit. The strike zone shrunk to next to nothing. Poynter threw 3 straight balls 2 of the 3 could/should have been strikes! Then all hell broke loose and we were down 3 to 0.
cevans_40
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

LSU beat us 6-1 yesterday on SECN no less. We got a whopping 3 hits! Looked like The same ol same ol from a Jo Evans team. Disappointing that we were that sloppy on a televised game. Rubber match this afternoon!
Did you happen to watch Saturday?
cevans_40
AG
mullokmotx said:

Did it seem to anyone else watching that the umpire's strike zone got bigger when we were at bat? One of our batters struck out on a pitch that was around the ankles.
Yes, home plate ump was hot garbage yesterday. But we made some mistakes in the field that you just can't have if you want to beat good teams.
Serious Lee
is this really where we are as a fanbase? getting excited over 1 win (out of 3) vs a ranked opponent.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Who is the recruit this past year that we couldn't find a scholarship for that was committed to us? The one that hit exceptionally well, who's was mentioned over on the other. Board
Stone44
AG
Total meltdown today. Walks, errors, mental mistakes,etc. We spent 30+ million on the nicest softball facility in the country but we still have the same coach. No more excuses for Evans. She must have pictures or something.
I already have a dog
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

is this really where we are as a fanbase? getting excited over 1 win (out of 3) vs a ranked opponent.

It was one win out of one at the time of the couple of positive posts. Poster must have forgotten that we are all required to be negative at all time, never hope, and certainly don't acknowledge it if something good happens.
91 CT
AG
I think she's in the same boat with Childress. Final year of her contract with no extension so far. No buyout at the end of the year if we part ways.
greg.w.h
AG
Her contract was extended by five years to 2022. Reported at 12thman.com and other local outlets. Today the contemporary articles are still visible at thebatt.com, kbtx.com, and theeagle.com. Circa August 31, 2017.

I haven't seen news on the subject other than that. So presumably she is on her next to last year if the contract is fulfilled. There is little doubt she was extended to get a full class recruited into Davis since she waited so long for that facility to be built. It isn't going anywhere and she's had a much more vital team this year.

I'd let it play out. This isn't the year to count on extra expenditures. Unless you're donating a lot of money that is...

sharpdressedman
Stone44 said:

Total meltdown today. Walks, errors, mental mistakes,etc. We spent 30+ million on the nicest softball facility in the country but we still have the same coach. No more excuses for Evans. She must have pictures or something.
From the game summary on the AD Softball home page:

"The Aggies held a 1-0 lead until the Tigers plated four in the bottom of the fifth on a series of walks, passed balls and an error." Very disappointing.
bippy_b
TxA&Mhunter said:

Who is the recruit this past year that we couldn't find a scholarship for that was committed to us? The one that hit exceptionally well, who's was mentioned over on the other. Board

Is that why that girl went to USF? I certainly hope not. She was raking at the plate!!!

Edit:
===
Here was her Tweet that went viral and hit SportsCenter

TxA&Mhunter
AG
Yes this is her thank you...
Don't really think that we have many girls on our team and have a swing like this.... And we could not find a spot for her on the roster for the future.... how is that possible?
This is why Joe Evans should be fired at the end of the year.

"Following this announcement, another crucial blow would take place in Humplik's life. She had to decommit from Texas A&M. Humplik had been committed to the Aggies since freshman season, but because of the pandemic, seniors at the collegiate level were given an extra year of eligibility to play and she had to withdraw her commitment from Texas A&M. Humplik has had family members attend the university before, so not being able to continue the family legacy and play softball there took a toll on her."

" The 125th ranked prospect in the 2021 class was a two-time Southeast Texas Coaches Association Player of the Year and a three-time all-district first team catcher. Humplik was also named a 2019 All-State player and excelled off the field as well, a three-time member of the Orangefield High School Academic Honor Roll."
mullokmotx
AG
Looks like the player mentioned earlier is currently a senior at Orangefield.

Since we joined the SEC we are 7-12 against LSU.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
That's correct...
she is a power hitter Catcher outfielder, (who is an athletic power hitter) which we haven't had manny of.
She's a top 125 player in the nation....
Been committed to A&M since she was a freshman,
who is an Aggie legacy...
Yet Because of the pandemic and people staying on the roster due to the eligibility extension we didn't have room for her...

Roster management that's kind of what I was pointing out..
bippy_b
Geezuz.. last year I was all for giving Jo a chance but s**t man.. if you can't find a spot for that young lady.. you must be crazy!
VegasAg86
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

That's correct...
she is a power hitter Catcher outfielder, (who is an athletic power hitter) which we haven't had manny of.
She's a top 125 player in the nation....
Been committed to A&M since she was a freshman,
who is an Aggie legacy...
Yet Because of the pandemic and people staying on the roster due to the eligibility extension we didn't have room for her...

Roster management that's kind of what I was pointing out..

She's a senior in high school, class of 2021. How do Super Seniors this year keep her off the team next year?
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Super seniors push everybody Eligibility back a year,
Especially in a sport where no one's turning pro.
That Leads to a clogged roster so evans would have had to free up scholarship to make room... she chose not to...
mullokmotx
AG
My understanding is that the NCAA raised the scholarship limit for this year to accommodate the Super Seniors but I'm not sure if the limit has been raised for the following years even though everybody got an extra year of eligibility. If the limit was raised then where is the money coming from to pay for these additional scholarships. I remember Ross Bjork saying that Super Seniors for the spring sports this year was going to cost a half million dollars. There may be some full scholarships in softball but many are probably partial.
_mpaul
AG
What a **** show, how we have allowed this relatively weak-ass virus to completely disrupt every aspect of our lives.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
It's a numbers crunch you have to have the scholarships available... It is deemed she didn't have a scholarship available for that athlete...
Aggies2009
AG
_mpaul said:

What a **** show, how we have allowed this relatively weak-ass virus to completely disrupt every aspect of our lives.
Half the people out there WANT it to be the crazy killer and they bend over backwards to defend giving up every bit of freedom they can.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.