Aggie Softball Progress

46,966 Views | 360 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
Dominion Caracas Branch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To be fair, Texags media never speculates on a coach getting let go until they are let go.
Bucketrunner
I can't imagine sitting through another year of her sending players to third when they don't have a chance.
greg.w.h
AG
The signals have been there since Young wasn't renewed that we are going to curtail contract buyouts in favor of letting contracts complete naturally. And no huge extensions. It's probably part of Sharp's response to what was characterized as a dispute on spending with Woodward that was part of Scott leaving.

No bright lines to trace. But Blair and Childress both coached without an extension in their current final years. And there is every reason with Jo making the NCAAT to believe she will return without an extension to her final year.

What is much less known is how this plays out. There were several derisive takes on Bjork extending Bianci at Ole Miss and the current AD using the last contract year with him to emphasize performance this year.

I think Jo probably needs to reach a super (S16) or WCWS (E8) to be assured of a extension. But it also looks like the Jimbo hire has set an implicit background of national championships being expected in the first decade for our intercollegiate teams. I can't point to anything specific other than the plaque Sharp gave to Fisher. Just get the feeling expectations are ratcheting up.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Expectations should be ratcheting up! Historically, we have not been stellar in contractual agreements with coaches who have proven to be non-productive enough to meet expectations. I am hopeful this is coming to an end.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Captain Pablo
AG
greg.w.h said:

The signals have been there since Young wasn't renewed that we are going to curtail contract buyouts in favor of letting contracts complete naturally. And no huge extensions. It's probably part of Sharp's response to what was characterized as a dispute on spending with Woodward that was part of Scott leaving.

No bright lines to trace. But Blair and Childress both coached without an extension in their current final years. And there is every reason with Jo making the NCAAT to believe she will return without an extension to her final year.

What is much less known is how this plays out. There were several derisive takes on Bjork extending Bianci at Ole Miss and the current AD using the last contract year with him to emphasize performance this year.

I think Jo probably needs to reach a super (S16) or WCWS (E8) to be assured of a extension. But it also looks like the Jimbo hire has set an implicit background of national championships being expected in the first decade for our intercollegiate teams. I can't point to anything specific other than the plaque Sharp gave to Fisher. Just get the feeling expectations are ratcheting up.

Well, you say expectations are ratcheting up, but setting a pattern of allowing underperforming coaches to finish out their respective contracts would seem to indicate otherwise, and is bad practice, IMO

I believe you stated in another thread that it's terrible for recruiting. I agree with that

It also delays needed change.

We'll see if a pattern emerges. Hopefully we won't have a bunch of failing coaches to test the theory
greg.w.h
AG
I said the reason for empty extensions with no cash was to permit recruiting to continue without the overhang of a potential non-renewal. I don't have an opinion on whether that strategy works. But if you like the empty extension with no accountability and no results we have a deal for you!!! Give now!!
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Didn't We just fire the women's golf coach three years in? I'm pretty sure that her contract was greater than three years..
Belton Ag
AG
I'm not making a prediction one way or the other on her future, but I seriously doubt Texas A&M has entered a mode of "let all the contracts run out and don't renew the ones you don't want to keep".

We have one instance of that in athletics with Childress and that was a one-off due to the shortened season. The deal with Young is totally unrelated to anything the Athletic department does.

It's inane to think that's the new strategy, and if Texas A&M actually decided to roll long term with such a stupid strategy, my 12th Man shield will go bye bye as well as a ton of others. That's just not how college athletics works.
greg.w.h
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

Didn't We just fire the women's golf coach three years in? I'm pretty sure that her contract was greater than three years..

" Gaston's contract is no different. She is set to earn $300,000 annually in base salary on a deal that expires June 30, 2023, according to her contract."

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-am-aggies/2019/04/19/the-cost-of-wanting-to-be-the-best-texas-am-s-buyout-total-for-recently-fired-coaches-is-a-starting-point/

Captain Pablo
AG
greg.w.h said:

I said the reason for empty extensions with no cash was to permit recruiting to continue without the overhang of a potential non-renewal. I don't have an opinion on whether that strategy works. But if you like the empty extension with no accountability and no results we have a deal for you!!! Give now!!

Nobody worth a damn gives empty extensions with no cash

As if a recruit is too stupid to see through that

Captain Pablo
AG
Belton Ag said:

I'm not making a prediction one way or the other on her future, but I seriously doubt Texas A&M has entered a mode of "let all the contracts run out and don't renew the ones you don't want to keep".

We have one instance of that in athletics with Childress and that was a one-off due to the shortened season. The deal with Young is totally unrelated to anything the Athletic department does.

It's inane to think that's the new strategy, and if Texas A&M actually decided to roll long term with such a stupid strategy, my 12th Man shield will go bye bye as well as a ton of others. That's just not how college athletics works.

Agreed
greg.w.h
AG
Captain Pablo said:

greg.w.h said:

Nobody worth a damn gives empty extensions with no cash

As if a recruit is too stupid to see through that

we haven't? We don't? Might want to review contracts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.