Story Poster
Texas A&M Baseball

Diamond Talk: Selecting the All-Mark Johnson era roster

May 22, 2020

Last week, our Aggie baseball duo of Gabe Bock and Scott Clendenin selected the All-Rob Childress era Aggie baseball team. This week, we turn the clocks back a little further to select the All-Mark Johnson era team.

Gabe Bock’s Team

Lineup
1. Jason Tyner - CF
2. Chuck Knoblauch - SS
3. Scott Livingstone - 3B
4. Daylan Holt - RF
5. John Byington - DH
6. Steven Truitt - LF
7. Terry Taylor - 2B
8. John Scheschuk - 1B
9. Eric Albright - C
Utility/Bench Player: Trey Moore

Pitching Staff
Friday - Jeff Granger (LHP)
Saturday - Casey Fossum (LHP)
Sunday - Ryan Rupe (RHP)
Tuesday - Ronnie Allen (RHP)
Closer - Scott Centala (RHP)

Scott Clendenin’s Team

Lineup
1. Jason Tyner - LF
2. Terry Taylor - 2B
3. Chuck Knoblauch - SS
4. Scott Livingstone - 3B
5. John Byington - DH
6. Daylan Holt - RF
7. John Curl - 1B
8. Rob Trimble - C
9. Mike Scanlin - CF
Utility/Bench Player: Cliff Pennington

Pitching Staff
Friday - Jeff Granger (LHP)
Saturday - Casey Fossum (LHP)
Sunday - Ryan Rupe (RHP)
Tuesday - Ronnie Allen (RHP)
Closer - Scott Beerer (RHP)

Discussion from...

Diamond Talk: Selecting the All-Mark Johnson era roster

4,516 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by stoney715
stoney715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just heard the clip sent to me from a friend. My time at A&M was amazing and playing for MJ was second to none. An incredible coach and an amazing friend. I truly made the right decision turning down t.u. Found the site today. Look forward to hearing and reading more TAMU stuff. Thanks.
Aggie12B
AG
stoney715 said:

Just heard the clip sent to me from a friend. My time at A&M was amazing and playing for MJ was second to none. An incredible coach and an amazing friend. I truly made the right decision turning down t.u. Found the site today. Look forward to hearing and reading more TAMU stuff. Thanks.
Stoney, we were truly blessed that you turned down tu to play for MJ. Loved watching you play the hot corner at Olsen. Also, I never will forget the time when you were playing for the Padres and you got me comp tickets to watch you play against the Astros. It was a scheduled doubleheader and the first game went into extra innings (18 or 19 innings, I can't remember which) and then y'all played the 2nd game. It was like watching a triple header.
Aggie12B
AG
Gabe, both you and Scott came up with pretty salty rosters. I would substitute Mike Easley at 1B, if for no other reason than the fact that it always seemed like he would tag the opposing base runners in the earhole, with his sweep tag, on pickoff attempts. I used to have season tickets on the first row right over the visiting team's dugout, and you could hear them talking about those head tags.
Goose06
AG
I didn't start closely following aggie baseball until 2003. The players I remember who I would have suggested for consideration on this team are:

1. Cliff Pennington
2. Scott Beerer
3. Cory Patton
4. Zach Jackson
5. Jason Meyer
6. Kyle Nicholson
7. Justin Ruggiano
8. Austin Creps
Bernie13
stoney715 said:

Bernie13
Bernie13 said:

stoney715 said:

Hey Stony, You helped along with Byno and Knob to help put me in the record books as being the player beat out by most all Americans. Thanks!!!!!
dermdoc
AG
Bernie13 said:

Bernie13 said:

stoney715 said:

Hey Stony, You helped along with Byno and Knob to help put me in the record books as being the player beat out by most all Americans. Thanks!!!!!
You'll always be 13 to me!

Seriously, I would have loved to have suited up for anything at A&M. You did something most of us could only dream of.

I was hell on the intramural fields though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bernie13
88-90 were some if the best days of my life. great teammates, great friends, and a lot of fun. I loved being a small part of every team I was on. It was truly an honor to be tjat uniform coming from the hills of the Ozarks.
stoney715
Hey Bernie..hope all is well buddy
BBGigem
AG
Bernie13 said:

88-90 were some if the best days of my life. great teammates, great friends, and a lot of fun. I loved being a small part of every team I was on. It was truly an honor to be tjat uniform coming from the hills of the Ozarks.

Won't forget you getting that game winning hit against your state's flagship school that helped us get the sweep in '90.
W
AG
the MJ era lasted 21 seasons...which means a lot of good players can't make the list.

interesting that there is only 1 consensus pick (Granger) from MJ's best team (1993)
Bernie13
stoney715 said:

Hey Bernie..hope all is well buddy
All is great, Hope the same for you,
stoney715
Thanks for the kind words hope all is well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.