Story Poster
Texas A&M Baseball

LSU legend Ben McDonald reflects on 1989 College Station Regional

March 30, 2020

Key notes from Ben McDonald interview

• I'm getting to do some things like everyone involved in baseball is. I haven't had a spring off in like 25 years or so. I'm spending some time up in the woods, social distancing at it's best. I'd rather be playing baseball right now, but I'm getting to spend some time with my boy. I'm bummed we're missing baseball, but I'm trying to make the most of it. I'm trying to stay positive and make the most of it.

• I've been fishing a lot at the lake and eating a lot of fried bass, which probably isn't the best for the diet. We've been living off the land a little bit and trying to stay away from the grocery store. I caught a rattlesnake. We tried it the other night and fried it up. It wasn't bad.

• I would like to see everybody get a year back. You hate it for all these kids who work hard to lose a year of eligibility. I don't know if it's doable from a financial standpoint. If you do that, you open up Pandora's Box of financial problems. I would not be surprised if we see just seniors get the year back of eligibility. I think that's a happy medium.

• You always feel for the college coaches. You get all of the kids and sign them, but you're not sure if they're going to get drafted or make it to campus. Then your college players could get drafted in June, so it's always a headache from a college standpoint. Maybe we will see the NCAA go up from 11.7 to 14 scholarships for a year or so. I don't think we're going to see everybody get a year of eligibility back.

• The shortened draft is going to help college baseball. A lot of the 10th, 11th, 15th round picks will probably end up coming back. It's good for the college game, but I hate it for the players. I'd like to see the draft be normal because you're punishing the kids in some ways. Yeah, there's a free-agent process there, but we know how that goes. A lot of times, you're signing for peanuts at a time as a free agent. I'd like them to keep the draft status quo.

• I've been on both sides of that ball. I gave up a grand slam my freshman year in the College World Series to eliminate us. That day in College Station was probably the top of my college career. A lot of people forget, we were a pretty good team too. We thought we had a chance to host a regional also, but then we got sent to face the No. 1 team in the country. We knew it would be a hostile environment, and we knew it was going to be a challenge. I went into it not knowing what to expect. We had about six or seven big-league players on our team too. I remember the environment and excitement. I remember wanting to be a competitor and wanting to beat the No. 1 team in the country in Texas A&M. The baseball gods shined on us a lot that day. Pat Garitty, who didn't play very much on our team, got a big hit and we went on to win two games.

• I pitched the first game, pitched seven innings, and then went and played left field. We didn't know if A&M would make a rally, so they wanted to keep me in the game. I ended up getting the last out, and we went on to Omaha. I have a lot of respect for the A&M fans, and of course, some things were said over the years about what happened and what was said. But it was an incredible environment. It's always that 1% of fans, LSU fans are the same way. 99% are great people. That's just college baseball. That's what makes it fun.

• I did a game back in 2014 at the new Blue Bell Park. I was renting a car, and I gave the guy my ID. He asked me if I was the same guy from 1989, and he told me he still hadn't forgotten. Then, I was talking to Rob Childress before the game, and some older gentleman shook his cane and me and said, "Ben McDonald, we still hate you and LSU here." That was the 25th anniversary of that tremendous A&M team.

• Texas A&M has a fantastic environment, an excellent program, and a beautiful ballpark down there.

• I only saw Asa Lacy on video this year. I saw him last year. His body impresses me. When he gets off the bus, he looks like a big-league dude. I had Emerson Hancock over him a little bit this year, but as the year went on, I think Lacy has jumped him. I think he has more upside from that left side.

• Rob Childress does not get enough credit for the work he does with pitchers. He's phenomenal.

• Winning a gold medal for Team USA in the Olympics is the number one thing I've done in my career. It just means so much wearing that red, white and blue, representing your country.
Discussion from...

LSU legend Ben McDonald reflects on 1989 College Station Regional

10,281 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice interview. I am sure it was tough to get Ben McDonald to talk about himself.
ensign_beedrill
AG
I guess if we're not going to hear him do it on broadcasts this year, we'll just have to settle for him doing it on TexAgs.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Deleting my comments.

It is not productive
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
Aggie12B
AG
The ONLY good thing about the lack of baseball this year is the fact that we don't have to listen to Ben telling his war stories about how badly he was treated in '89.
Gabe Bock
AG
pepe the dog said:

I would have liked it if you asked him about his claim that we threw batteries at him. Fake News.
Did you not actually listen to the interview? These notes are only the highlights and don't cover everything. How about scrub ahead to around 10:30...
Gabe Bock
AG
Aggie12B said:

The ONLY good thing about the lack of baseball this year is the fact that we don't have to listen to Ben telling his war stories about how badly he was treated in '89.
Ben was outstanding on the show this morning. If you're still not over '89, turn off the back half...really just about 25% of the interview was on that day in '89. If you have moved on after 31 years, you'll enjoy hearing his perspective on a variety of things. Aggies "hate" him but Ben is a good dude and just a good ol' cajun country boy.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Gabe Bock said:

Aggie12B said:

Ben was outstanding on the show this morning. If you're still not over '89, turn off the back half...really just about 25% of the interview was on that day in '89. If you have moved on after 31 years, you'll enjoy hearing his perspective on a variety of things. Aggies "hate" him but Ben is a good dude and just a good ol' cajun country boy.

This may all be true, but he also has a penchant for telling very bad lies on national television and in nationally syndicated radio interviews. Maybe he has matured and maybe he was a "good dude" during your interview, but that does not excuse the hyperbole, slander, and intentional lies he's told over and over and over and over and over again.

This isn't a case of not being able to move on after 31 years. It's a case of a man in the national media spotlight, with a national media platform, who made the intentional decision to degrade our fans and our university on multiple occasions. You can call him a "good dude" all you want, but I know what did and did not happen at that regional in '89 and I also know the stories (lies) he's told about it make him the exact, 100% opposite of a "good dude."

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Maroon Flash
AG
This crap didn't need to be brought up. Screw Ben McDonald!
Mas89
AG
You should have been there.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG

NM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
Aggies2009
AG
pepe the dog said:

Gabe Bock said:

pepe the dog said:

I would have liked it if you asked him about his claim that we threw batteries at him. Fake News.
Did you not actually listen to the interview? These notes are only the highlights and don't cover everything. How about scrub ahead to around 10:30...
I read the notes when I posted my comments because I have heard what he has said on national television and he lied. At your suggestion I "scrubbed" ahead and still heard his fabricated story. This time he accused Aggies throwing stuff into the bullpen.(Nuts and bolts etc.)

I know if ANYONE thew ANYTHING at ANY GAME, that person would have been ejected immediately.

If not by the fans but certainly by the ushers or police that were present.

I was there. (Were you there or were you still at Denison High School?)

Section 101 season ticket holder and was able to purchased the same tickets for the regional.

No doubt he threw two great games that day. Our bats went south. That is baseball.

But to continually fabricate about that day and to let him continue to do so is bad bull.

Edited to correct dispelling of Denison
Prepare for this to be framed as "you're just not over him beating our best team". Everyone knows we threw batteries, beer, knives, and thermonuclear weapons at him and his children.

And of course, we all know he still, to this day, gets "death threats and harassment". As a side note, isn't it hilarious how whenever a big name (not talking Ben McDonald here) screws up big time their immediate go-to is that they're getting harassment and death threats? Like it's some get out of jail free card?
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
I have a signed baseball to me from Ben. I grew up in Louisiana as a child... I also have another ball most Aggies would hate... but I can't throw em away! https://imgur.com/gallery/jidpQAv
Joe Schillaci 48
AG

NM
Mark Fairchild
AG
What Maroon Flash said!!!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
dixichkn
AG
I think he's probably deep down a pretty good dude. A lot like most of us in fact.

But he lied through his possum eatin' teeth about A&M fans. You don't do that and think all's forgiven. I can get over him beating us that day (which remains to this day the biggest Aggie kick in the nuts ever, IMO) but not about lying trying to rub salt in the wound.
94chem
He pitched a good game, but he just won't let it go from when we released the winged monkeys to hurl the cyanide laced batteries at him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.