Coaches List

5,792 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Chrundle the Great
Cy_Tolliver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buzz just beat nationally ranked Auburn on the road in basketball. He may top RC with Kennedy leftovers and in a national sport in his first year.
jkag89
Cy_Tolliver said:

Buzz just beat nationally ranked Auburn on the road in basketball. He may top RC with Kennedy leftovers and in a national sport in his first year.
You don't think RC, ever beat a top ranked team on the road? Really?
dermdoc
AG
JohnnieBB said:

As far as getting Tim Tadlock away from Tech, I think it is highly unlikely! He is an outstanding coach and knows how to recruit and treat his players with respect. My son played for him at Grayson and he and I both loved him. He was inducted in the HOF at Grayson last fall and my son and I both attended. Still a wonderful guy to be around plus, look at his record. Starting his 8th year and been to CWS 4 times.

I would love to have him here but, here is his contract he signed in 2018:

"Tadlock, who took the Red Raiders to the College World Series for the third time in five years, will receive a seven-year, $7 million deal that pays him $300,000 in base salary and $700,000 in rights fees each year of the contract. The agreement runs through Aug. 31, 2025.

He owns a collegiate career record of 720-279 in 16 years as a head coach with nine seasons at Grayson County College (435-127) and seven at Texas Tech (285-152).

Anyway, enough of Tim. We need to get back to business and win games.

Some of my observations on our team:

1) Why are we not swinging at first pitch strikes down the middle?
2) Need to be better at bunting.
3) Defense is way below average (.970) ours is .957! Need to work on.
4) Batting average is .298 which I am okay with but, with SEC pitching in the horizon it will drop.
5) Pitching with Lacy, excellent, Roa needs to not get behind early in count, Sunday, up in air need to find someone quick.

I was sorry to see Trevor leave last night. Hopefully he will be okay. First think I thought of was Tommy John surgery where you lose him for a year. Trevor throws strikes and that is what i like about him. If he returns I would consider him our closer.
Great post.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
iluvpoker
Austin Ag said:

FYI. The comparison I provided is based on the first 14 years of each HC

Hence my request to not cherrypick stats. Your assumption is that each program started in the same place when Rob and Tim were hired, which they didn't. And that each program has the same resources, which they don't.

You're trying to say that RC could become TC, we just don't know after 14 years. That's like trying to say Alex Caruso could become Kobe Bryant.

My advice to you is the same I give myself. "When you find yourself in a hole put down the shovel".

RC is a good coach, but he is not a great coach, aka Jimbo Fisher. The only real discussion is given our resources and massive athletic revenue, does A&M deserve a great coach in baseball.
AggieBand2004
AG
iluvpoker said:

Austin Ag said:

FYI. The comparison I provided is based on the first 14 years of each HC

Hence my request to not cherrypick stats. Your assumption is that each program started in the same place when Rob and Tim were hired, which they didn't. And that each program has the same resources, which they don't.

You're trying to say that RC could become TC, we just don't know after 14 years. That's like trying to say Alex Caruso could become Kobe Bryant.

My advice to you is the same I give myself. "When you find yourself in a hole put down the shovel".

RC is a good coach, but he is not a great coach, aka Jimbo Fisher. The only real discussion is given our resources and massive athletic revenue, does A&M deserve a great coach in baseball.

The first 14 years are pretty comparable, so it wasn't a horrible post.
Your Caruso/Bryant analogy is just plain ridiculous. Their first X years would never have been anything like the Childress/Corbin stats.
cevans_40
AG
Austin Ag said:

After 14 seasons of Rob Childress baseball we have:
577-304-3 (0.655)
312-180-3 (0.512) Conf

2 Conf Coach of the Year

6 Conference Championships
13 Regional Appearances (Consecutive)
6 Super Region Appearances
2 CWS Appearances

Vanderbuitl was here after 14 yeasosn wiht Tim Corbin
610-290-1 (0.668)
243-172-1 (0.586) Conf

2 Conf coach of the Year

4 Conference Championships
12 Regional Appearances (Consecutive)
6 Super Region Appearances
3 CWS Appearances
1 CWS Championship

Are we really that far away? I don't know. Hope to find out this year.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics
AggieBand2004
AG
If you don't like stats, you're following the wrong sport
Cy_Tolliver
jkag89 said:

Cy_Tolliver said:

. Not with almost zero talent handed to him, no. And in a regional sport that should not be uncommon.
TXAggie2011
AG
The progress under Tim Corbin was consistent and pretty obvious.

He took over a program that had never won anything. First three years were tough/up-and-down. Then he got 4 straight regionals years 4-7.

Years 8-14. 3 CWS, 5 of 7 years at least to the Supers.

Vanderbilt kept elevating. And that's why Corbin was able to stick around and that's why he's so widely respected. It always felt like Corbin had more in him.
TXAggie2011
AG
And comparing that to Rob, it's debatable if we're on more solid footing than we were a decade or so ago (setting aside facility investments.) And it's a mystery at best if he can elevate the program past where it's been for most of his tenure.

The trajectory has just looked and felt different.
Sandman98
AG
Pro tip for the fire RC crowd. Stick to the following if you want to be taken seriously (each topic could be debated):

1) Offensive recruiting
2) inconsistent in hosting a regional
3) limited appearances in the final eight tournament
4) emergence of TCU and TT.

When you create categories like "winning games in Omaha" the people that possess gray matter can tell you don't know what you're talking about and your primary goal is getting POTD stars. It's almost like you created a metric to convince yourself that he should be replaced. It's really embarrassing so you should stop doing that.
jkag89
Cy_Tolliver said:

jkag89 said:

Cy_Tolliver said:

. Not with almost zero talent handed to him, no. And in a regional sport that should not be uncommon.
So you created a category that RC can not compete "national" vs "regional," um OK.

For the record, A&M took a series from #5 Florida in Gainesville his first season. The season quickly went downhill fast for both teams but at the time it was seen as a huge win for the Aggies.
Austin Ag
AG
I think these series and individual wins were pretty good:

2019:
2 out of 3 vs. #2 Vandy (who won the CWS that year)
2 out of 3 vs. #4 Ark
Beat the following top 20 or higher ranked rivals: Baylor, TCU and t.u. (always good to do)

2018:
2 out of 3 vs. #20 LSU
Beat #4 Ole Miss at Hoover.

2017:
2 out of 3 vs. #6 @ LSU (CWS Runner-up)
2 out of 3 vs. #11 Auburn

2016:
2 out of 3 vs. #13 LSU
Swept all 3 @ # 8 Mississippi State
2 out of 3 vs. #6 Ole Miss
2 out of 3 vs. #8 @ South Carolina
2 out of 3 vs. #5 Vandy

...i'm gonna stop. just tired.

Justice Beaver
AG
Sandman98 said:

Pro tip for the fire RC crowd. Stick to the following if you want to be taken seriously (each topic could be debated):

1) Offensive recruiting

When you create categories like "winning games in Omaha" the people that possess gray matter can tell you don't know what you're talking about and your primary goal is getting POTD stars. It's almost like you created a metric to convince yourself that he should be replaced. It's really embarrassing so you should stop doing that.

Hint for the RC goaltenders: The answer is 0.
jkag89
Justice Beaver said:

Sandman98 said:

1) Offensive recruiting

Would your opinion of RC be on iota different if everything else in his tenure at A&M exactly the same except in one of the two trips to Omaha the team got a W?
Chrundle the Great
AG
jkag89 said:

Justice Beaver said:

Sandman98 said:

1) Offensive recruiting

Would your opinion of RC be on iota different if everything else in his tenure at A&M exactly the same except in one of the two trips to Omaha the team got a W?

Hint for the RC potbangers: The answer is no.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.