Mike White from Oregon to be next tu softball coach

6,311 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tamu_mgm
Dogdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie softball related because we recruit against them. He's an excellent coach and a pitching guru. Thoughts?
phantomf15c
AG
As much as I hate to say it, huge hire by tu. In my opinion one of the top 3-4 head coaches in the game. He will recruit very, very well in our backyard.
TXAggie2011
AG
A great hire for them.

Doesn't guarantee success, but Mike White has a great track record and pedigree.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Ouch.
technoviking
AG
This must be what it felt like when we hired Jimbo.
DogCompany74
AG
Jo Evans on the clock.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
BrandoC
AG
This just means they will most likely have a brand new stadium here soon. For him to leave Oregon with the outstanding facilities that were just recently built for them, something had to be promised to him.
sharpdressedman
tu does what it has to do. He is a top 5 coach who will create a lot of buzz around their program and on the recruiting trail. We'll continue wishin', hopin', and prayin.'
Chapa96
AG
I've read they are renovated. Don't think getting a new stadium.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Bum deal ! Ms. Cardiac (Duck grad) & Mr. Cardiac (Ag) follow our two teams pretty closely. White IS a damn good coach and he will be missed by Oregon SB fans. He did occasionally make what to us was a bone-headed call managing his base runners as well as a few others now and then. He can recruit, especially pitchers... Of all teams, to see him sell out to the burnt orange satan is a real disappointment....
phantomf15c
AG
Mike was promised a new stadium and a player development center. Not sure on his compensation package but my guess is that it's north of $400k. I wouldn't be surprised if he got $500k+ including incentives. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Del Conte did a very nice job in getting Mike to leave as I'm sure it was a tough decision for him. Mike is an incredible coach but even better man believe me he is invested in his players on & off the field.

Mike wanted a long term commitment and Oregon wasn't able to provide. The sips have underachieved for so long and Del Comte stepped up with promises and $$$. Softball is a non-revenue after thought sport at most places. It was at Texas during the last decade, but that has certainly changed today.
Luke The Drifter
AG
sharpdressedman said:

tu does what it has to do. He is a top 5 coach who will create a lot of buzz around their program and on the recruiting trail. We'll continue wishin', hopin', and prayin.'
They don't always do what they have to do. Texas has made some pretty turd-worthy hires over the years.

• Any football coach in the past 35 years not named Mack Brown
  • Shaka Smart - TBD
  • Gail Goestenkors (women's basketball)

Maybe Smart isn't turd-worthy, but he's doing less with more than Rick Barnes did during his time at Texas. Maybe Smart will get it going good, but so far he's been a step back from what Barnes accomplished.

And, to be fair, A&M has cherry-picked a couple of coaches over the years. Gary Blair, Pat Henry, Jimbo Fisher, Andrea Gaston (women's golf)...so it's not like Texas gets whoever they want all of the time and we have to take the scraps when they're done getting the cream of the crop.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
TXAggie2011
AG
Gael Goestenkors was a coup when they made that hire...she was viewed as an elite coach running an elite Duke program.

It's a good reminder that hiring a big name doesn't always work out how you want it to.
tk for tu juan
They also just hired Kentucky's T&F coach to rebuild their track program.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
U of O supposedly interested in Rachel Lawson of Kentucky as a possible successor to White.
BrokenLFarms
S
It came down to Mike White and Rachel Lawson from UK. His hitting coach left Oregon for UAB so he will not be joining Mike in Austin. Curious to see how he rounds out his staff.

Huge hire for sure. He will have every talented pitchers ear and that is a worrisome for the Maroon & White I feel.
TMartin
DogCompany74 said:

Jo Evans on the clock.
Hasn't she been on the clock?
BrandoC
AG
I called this. Why would anyone leave Oregon if a new stadium was not promised. Had to happen right after built ours.....I am sure it will be 3,000+ chairback. You know sips, if we do something they will try to up anty and do better.
DogCompany74
AG
TMartin said:

DogCompany74 said:

Jo Evans on the clock.

How long does Woodward give her to recruit to the new stadium? Unless she pulls a rabbit out of a hat next year is looking to be yet another "rebuild". I'd think we would reasonably expect to be in the Super Regional mix annually.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
Tex100
AG
TMartin said:

DogCompany74 said:

Jo Evans on the clock.
double secret probation?
Wooahhhh
AG
I can't believe they didn't pull Cat Osterman from Tx State. I thought that was so obvious. I know she only has one year or so in the college ranks, but you'd think she'd be considered.

He's a HOF coach. One of the best men's pitchers of all time, hate to see those idiots get him.
Belton Ag
AG
DogCompany74 said:

TMartin said:

DogCompany74 said:

Jo Evans on the clock.

How long does Woodward give her to recruit to the new stadium? Unless she pulls a rabbit out of a hat next year is looking to be yet another "rebuild". I'd think we would reasonably expect to be in the Super Regional mix annually.
Next year has some challenges to be sure (pitching), but there's a few pieces in place currently as well as some big time talent in the pipeline that will come in and start early. I think you might be surprised by next year's squad.

The facilities have already helped in terms of recruiting and I think you'll see a noticeable bump in talent starting as soon as next year.

Having said that, Jo needs to get back to OKC soon and keep the pipeline strong. I can't imagine the expectations being higher around here.

Goro Majima
AG
Eh, Jo's beaten him.
pudge
They called Beth Torina too. She's happy in Baton Rouge especially with the new facility improvements and her recruiting classes...

Field is being dug out and all new drainage and surface will replace it.
New video board almost twice the size of the old scoreboard.
New permanent seating in right field with consessions and rest rooms.
New indoor facility with weight room, batting tunnels, indoor infield...
Davis Diamond is really nice, but Tiger Park is ok too.. like that my 2 favorite teams have nice facilities now.

Plus LSU softball has me as the biggest fan! Lol
PlanoGuy
Cardiac Saturday said:

U of O supposedly interested in Rachel Lawson of Kentucky as a possible successor to White.
Melissa Lombardi, longtime OU pitching coach, will supposedly be the next HC at Oregon.
"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Sounds like a winner !!!!!
PlanoGuy
Huge hire!!

"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
Colt98
AG
That's a big get for OU, was hoping they would struggle to find a good replacement. Now will be interesting to see who Florida gets for a replacement.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Hope that Ms. Lombardi can get the Ducks over the hump of checking out early on the big stage. That's something the Mike White could never get done @ Oregon. Don't think that it will necessarily be any different with him as top softball whorn.
Tamu_mgm
AG
technoviking said:

This must be what it felt like when we hired Jimbo.
Lol, really comparing football to softball?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.