NCAA tried to rig the College World Series and it didn't work!

10,795 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

Isn't A&M sitting at home because they lost the Super Regional? How did the NCAA rig that?

FIFY
Lance Uppercut
AG
I do think the SEC having so many teams in the tournament led to a lot of the perceived issue....however....

I think any college baseball fan would have a difficult time arguing that the SEC didn't deserve 4 national seeds. I'm also positive there's no way the committee looked at the bracket and didn't know, specifically, that they were sticking all 4 of them on the same side. That's purposeful.

With 10 teams in the tournament, the best case for the SEC was that they only played each other twice in the second round. Worst case scenario was 5 games. They ended up being matched 4 times. The Big 12, with 5 teams, wasn't given a potential second round match in the entire tournament. (That's not to say the SEC had it the worst, the American and Pac 10 had half of their 4 teams potentially meeting in the 2nd round).

The conference, overall, proved the validity in the majority of its rankings by eventually meeting up to the point that the SEC eliminated itself 4 times in the tournament. No other team in the entire tournament eliminated a team from their own conference.

I do think the NCAA desires more parity across conferences. In a sport that's already largely regional, giving in to an entirely SEC-centric tournament isn't in their best interest.

Lance Uppercut
AG
Also, I don't take anything from the SEC doing well in the tournament, but we do have a handful of posters that come by yearly to try and question if the SEC is really as good as it's made out to be. Fans of other schools as well. I posted this earlier in the year, and I'll include 2018 as well.

The final series of the CWS has included SEC teams in:

2008: Georgia (runner up)
2009: LSU (champs)
2010: South Carolina (champs)
2011: South Carolina (champs), Florida (runner up)
2012: South Carolina (runner up)
2013: Mississippi State (runner up)
2014: Vanderbilt (champs)
2015: Vanderbilt (runner up)
2017: Florida (champs) LSU (runner up)
2018: Arkansas (runner up or champion)

Teams that have been in the CWS in that time:

Texas A&M
Ole MIss
Mississippi State
Georgia
LSU
Arkansas
South Carolina
Florida
Vanderbilt

So the SEC has sent 9 different teams to the CWS over the past decade, and been represented 12 times in 11 years in the final series. With the inclusion of Arkansas, half of the conference has played for the championship in that time period.
Bunk Moreland
The SEC is definitely that good in baseball.

What many here hope is A&M raises their level to be one of the best in the SEC, thus realizing more Omaha success.
technoviking
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

Also, I don't take anything from the SEC doing well in the tournament, but we do have a handful of posters that come by yearly to try and question if the SEC is really as good as it's made out to be. Fans of other schools as well. I posted this earlier in the year, and I'll include 2018 as well.

The final series of the CWS has included SEC teams in:

2008: Georgia (runner up)
2009: LSU (champs)
2010: South Carolina (champs)
2011: South Carolina (champs), Florida (runner up)
2012: South Carolina (runner up)
2013: Mississippi State (runner up)
2014: Vanderbilt (champs)
2015: Vanderbilt (runner up)
2017: Florida (champs) LSU (runner up)
2018: Arkansas (runner up or champion)

Teams that have been in the CWS in that time:

Texas A&M
Ole MIss
Mississippi State
Georgia
LSU
Arkansas
South Carolina
Florida
Vanderbilt

So the SEC has sent 9 different teams to the CWS over the past decade, and been represented 12 times in 11 years in the final series. With the inclusion of Arkansas, half of the conference has played for the championship in that time period.

We had the talent to be in that championship series in 2016.
BoerneGator
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

The NCAA did everything it could to stop the SEC

They did?

Not that it will do any good, but lets take a look at the FACTS:

The SEC got 10 spots. Only 2 other conferences got as many as half of that. Arguably 2 of the SEC teams were questionable. Then, the SEC got 4 national seeds, all in the top 8. Even if you think the SEC deserved more national seeds, the various teams in question -- Auburn, Miss. St., SoCar, and Vandy -- took care of business on the field. Also, the seedings (now with 16) can be bid dependent. Or, at least they have been in the past.

As far as the Supers parings, how the hell is the committee supposed to know who is going to win a regional, especially when the national seeds don't? I agree that Vandy or Miss. State should have played at either the Chapel Hill or Stetson regional, and one other SEC team should have gone to Stanford or Coastal, but other than that, LSU was the only SEC team in their Super Regional bracket and they lost their regional. Georgia lost their's as well -- at home, paving the way for tech to host the Super. Is either one of those the committee's fault?

So essentially we have 2 issues: the 1, 4, 5, 8 national seeding that probably could have been been 1, 3, 4, 7 or something like that, and the lack of an SEC team in two full SR brackets. Considering travel the way the committee does, it is pretty hard to argue the latter was conspiratorial. There are so many variables here -- team strength, travel, balance of regionals, who brings fans, etc. that it just isn't going to work out right for someone. Had they changed the top 8 seedings or sent one more SEC team to Coastal, the other conferences/fans would have *****ed that the committee is trying to protect the SEC. I guarantee you the committee feels like they're in a no-win situation regardless of what they do. The other conferences' fans already think the SEC controls the NCAA.

I wish people would quit thinking that every time a decision made by someone doesn't benefit them (in this case, A&M or the SEC), that they're the victim of a screw job. At the very least, come to the table with some EVIDENCE (like I've done with regard to NCAA COI enforcement on other threads). Just making the charge and hoping groupthink/mob mentality will take over isn't a characteristic of an educated Aggie. At least, I hope not.
After reading your lengthy denial, I wanted to respond, but Lance Uppercut's post said it all. So I re-post it here:

Quote:

I do think the SEC having so many teams in the tournament led to a lot of the perceived issue....however....

I think any college baseball fan would have a difficult time arguing that the SEC didn't deserve 4 national seeds. I'm also positive there's no way the committee looked at the bracket and didn't know, specifically, that they were sticking all 4 of them on the same side. That's purposeful.

With 10 teams in the tournament, the best case for the SEC was that they only played each other twice in the second round. Worst case scenario was 5 games. They ended up being matched 4 times. The Big 12, with 5 teams, wasn't given a potential second round match in the entire tournament. (That's not to say the SEC had it the worst, the American and Pac 10 had half of their 4 teams potentially meeting in the 2nd round).

The conference, overall, proved the validity in the majority of its rankings by eventually meeting up to the point that the SEC eliminated itself 4 times in the tournament. No other team in the entire tournament eliminated a team from their own conference.

I do think the NCAA desires more parity across conferences. In a sport that's already largely regional, giving in to an entirely SEC-centric tournament isn't in their best interest.

SACR
AG
How much did California teams refusing to travel to Texas and North Carolina because of bathroom bill politics affect the regional seedings and Super Regional pairings?
---------------------------------------------------
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

-------------------------------------------------

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
twk
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

A desire to have some diversity in the final may have played a role, but it's just as likely that any manipulation that occurred was motivated by the committees desire not to have any travel issues for the Washington and California schools, who couldn't travel to certain states due to legislative constraints. If you look at the bracket, they were very careful to avoid any potential matchups which could have run afoul of these rules. So, when you factor in this layer of complexity, on top of all the other rules they have to deal with, I'm not sure that rigging the brackets to avoid an all-SEC final was really at the top of their list of priorities.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Maybe, but if you just swapped Oregon State's regional with the Arkansas regional, you fix the problem. Oregon State's RPI was below Arkansas and Ole Miss but giving them that 3 seed almost guaranteed the SEC 4 national seed pile up on that side of the bracket.

BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

...it's just as likely that any manipulation that occurred was motivated by the committees desire not to have any travel issues for the Washington and California schools, who couldn't travel to certain states due to legislative constraints. If you look at the bracket, they were very careful to avoid any potential matchups which could have run afoul of these rules. So, when you factor in this layer of complexity, on top of all the other rules they have to deal with, I'm not sure that rigging the brackets to avoid an all-SEC final was really at the top of their list of priorities.
It's a sad state of affairs that we've come to this: that the local state's political preferences take precedence over all other concerns when seeding baseball teams. Sad indeed!
Mike Elko
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Once OSU came back to beat UNC, I had a feeling they'd win it all. Or, at least make it to the championship series. Hopefully MSU pulls it together for the second game, but OSU's a helluva team.
El Agglos
With only 4 teams and the 4 teams being forced to play each other in the super regionals if they won meaning the pac12 could only get 2 teams max in the CWS and both of those teams having to be on the same side in the CWS.... it seems like the NCAA rigged the tournament against the Pac12 and they won anyway.

Who the NCAA rigs the tournament for is the Big Ten getting 4 teams (conference has not won a natty since the 60s) and the ACC getting 6 teams (conference has won 1 natty since the 60s). Meanwhile, since 2000, the SEC has 6 natties and the Pac12 has 5. The Pac12 should always get more teams than the ACC, and the Big Ten should be a 1 bid league. I will also add, the small conferences suffer from bias in favor of the ACC and Big Ten and should get some of those bids.
jkag89
El Agglos said:

Who the NCAA rigs the tournament for is the Big Ten getting 4 teams (conference has not won a natty since the 60s) and the ACC getting 6 teams (conference has won 1 natty since the 60s). Meanwhile, since 2000, the SEC has 6 natties and the Pac12 has 5. The Pac12 should always get more teams than the ACC, and the Big Ten should be a 1 bid league. I will also add, the small conferences suffer from bias in favor of the ACC and Big Ten and should get some of those bids.
Bids in any given season should be based on which teams earned a bid not upon the frequency in winning a championship or the last time a particular league won a title. Just because the Oregon St. won the title this season does not mean the Pac-12 had more than four teams deserving bids.
El Agglos
The Pac12 has by far the most national titles and it is not even close. Unless something drastically changes, the Big 10 never deserves more than one bid and the ACC certainly does not deserve to keep getting as many teams as it does. Just look at how Big Ten and ACC teams perform every year. The Sun Belt is a stronger baseball conference than the Big Ten.
ORAggieFan
jkag89 said:

El Agglos said:

Bids in any given season should be based on which teams earned a bid not upon the frequency in winning a championship or the last time a particular league won a title. Just because the Oregon St. won the title this season does not mean the Pac-12 had more than four teams deserving bids.
Not because OSU won, but the PAC 12 did deserve more this year.
Lone Stranger
As long as nobody is happy...........

https://www.omaha.com/sports/cws/shatel-should-the-north-secede-gophers-coach-says-region-should/article_4d252136-c753-52dc-b9b7-790df556d846.html
Tex100
AG
We play football on the northern school timeline. They can't have baseball too.
94chem
Lone Stranger said:

As long as nobody is happy...........

https://www.omaha.com/sports/cws/shatel-should-the-north-secede-gophers-coach-says-region-should/article_4d252136-c753-52dc-b9b7-790df556d846.html

Sounds like a great idea! We'll move the CWS to August as soon as the northern schools shut down their hockey programs.
Tex100
AG
No, start football in mid September when it temperatures in the South are close to finally cooling off..
94chem
Tex100 said:

No, start football in mid September when it temperatures in the South are close to finally cooling off..
Meh. Leave it like it is. We still kick their tails.

I remember we played a tournament hosted by Minnesota in about 1992. Games were in the Metrodome.
Tex100
AG
Yeah, and kids in he South have to start in 100 degree weather.
Chester
ORAggieFan said:

jkag89 said:

El Agglos said:

OWho the NCAA rigs the tournament for is the Big Ten getting 4 teams (conference has not won a natty since the 60s) and the ACC getting 6 teams (conference has won 1 natty since the 60s). Meanwhile, since 2000, the SEC has 6 natties and the Pac12 has 5. The Pac12 should always get more teams than the ACC, and the Big Ten should be a 1 bid league. I will also add, the small conferences suffer from bias in favor of the ACC and Big Ten and should get some of those bids.
Next year will be very interesting for the west coast teams when the "bathroom bill" kicks in. Watch the NCAA cave and screw the southern teams.
SACR
AG
chester said:

ORAggieFan said:

jkag89 said:

El Agglos said:

OWho the NCAA rigs the tournament for is the Big Ten getting 4 teams (conference has not won a natty since the 60s) and the ACC getting 6 teams (conference has won 1 natty since the 60s). Meanwhile, since 2000, the SEC has 6 natties and the Pac12 has 5. The Pac12 should always get more teams than the ACC, and the Big Ten should be a 1 bid league. I will also add, the small conferences suffer from bias in favor of the ACC and Big Ten and should get some of those bids.
Next year will be very interesting for the west coast teams when the "bathroom bill" kicks in. Watch the NCAA cave and screw the southern teams.

That was already a consideration this year. It is why there were no Cali teams in Austin
---------------------------------------------------
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

-------------------------------------------------

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
Chester
I think they would like San Francisco East.
ColoradoMooseHerd
94chem said:

Tex100 said:

Meh. Leave it like it is. We still kick their tails.

I remember we played a tournament hosted by Minnesota in about 1992. Games were in the Metrodome.
Oscar-Meyer Classic
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.