NCAA tried to rig the College World Series and it didn't work!

10,763 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
Chester
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The NCAA did everything it could to stop the SEC from dominating the College World Series and it didn't work, from the crappy seeding to pitting SEC teams against each other. Now MIssissippi State is 1 win away from an all SEC final for the second year in a row and an eventual SEC champ. Even if the Bulldogs lose the Gators or Razorbacks should take care of the Oregon State Beavers.
W
AG
oh yes, the selection committee tried and they failed.

and now with just a few days left in the CWS, they're forced to cheer for the PR disaster squad
94chem
A CWS dominated by the SEC, with former recent champs LSU, Vandy, and SC not even there. Top 5 Ole Miss sitting at home. 11th place A&M sitting at home with top 20 RPI. Kentucky not in the field. #11 RPI Auburn sitting at home. #9 RPI Georgia at home.

The SEC has always been a power baseball conference, but not markedly better than the Big XII/PAC/ACC.

I wonder if the moves by A&M and Mizzou have had some strengthening effect on the league as a whole. Even Tennessee and Alabama are good programs. You'd better be able to hit with 2 outs, field the ball consistently, and have a stable of low - mid 90's arms if you want to compete in this league consistently.

One thing I've really noticed in the SEC is that it's starting to look like the major leagues in the bullpens. That is, the deeper you go, the harder it gets to hit. You don't really gain anything by knocking the starter out. In comes another fireballer from the pen.
wareagle044
Likely should have had 5/8 if A&M or Ole Miss and Georgia had handled business. Talent wise, the SEC probably has 10 of the top 12 teams in the country.
MSFC Aggie
AG
None of this makes me feel better about A&M not being there
94chem
Nor should it. Just enjoy seeing some good baseball and stop thinking about it.

And be glad you don't have to watch the sips or tiggers.
The Lost
94chem said:

I wonder if the moves by A&M and Mizzou have had some strengthening effect on the league as a whole. Even Tennessee and Alabama are good programs. You'd better be able to hit with 2 outs, field the ball consistently, and have a stable of low - mid 90's arms if you want to compete in this league consistently.

While obviously the ags have been successful by nationwide standards (just maybe not texags) and mizzou typically hasn't been a push over, it's the SECN that has made both bballs better.

Football is king, but money from the network has definitely trickled to baseball/basketball/softball. So yeah A&M/Mizzou helped on that end along with their competitiveness.
DogCompany74
AG
The Lost said:

94chem said:

While obviously the ags have been successful by nationwide standards (just maybe not texags) and mizzou typically hasn't been a push over, it's the SECN that has made both bballs better.

Football is king, but money from the network has definitely trickled to baseball/basketball/softball. So yeah A&M/Mizzou helped on that end along with their competitiveness.

Do you honestly think any college baseball fans outside of Aggies would list Texas A&M as a top tier program? We can't break through the Top Tier in Texas much less the national spotlight.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
94chem
The Lost said:

94chem said:

So I guess increasing footprint contributes a lot to that. I'd be okay with grabbing Va Tech and W Va.
94chem
DogCompany74 said:

The Lost said:

94chem said:

Do you honestly think any college baseball fans outside of Aggies would list Texas A&M as a top tier program? We can't break through the Top Tier in Texas much less the national spotlight.
yes.
Rock1982
AG
Yes.
DogCompany74
AG
Should we be? Definitely
Are we ,in fact? No

Top tier programs are consistently in the annual championship discussion because they consistently win championships. National recognition as an underachieving " sleeping giant" is a delusion of grandeur that belies the actual results on the field.

Hell Bent Canine -All or None
Tex100
AG
94chem said:

A CWS dominated by the SEC, with former recent champs LSU, Vandy, and SC not even there. Top 5 Ole Miss sitting at home. 11th place A&M sitting at home with top 20 RPI. Kentucky not in the field. #11 RPI Auburn sitting at home. #9 RPI Georgia at home.

The SEC has always been a power baseball conference, but not markedly better than the Big XII/PAC/ACC.

One thing I've really noticed in the SEC is that it's starting to look like the major leagues in the bullpens. That is, the deeper you go, the harder it gets to hit. You don't really gain anything by knocking the starter out. In comes another fireballer from the pen.
You think Alabama is good?
Tex100
AG

Season Record
  • OVERALL27-29
  • PCT.482
  • CONF8-22
  • PCT.267
  • STREAKL1
  • HOME22-13
  • AWAY5-15
  • NEUTRAL0-1
Sean98
AG
Tex100 said:

Season Record
  • OVERALL27-29
  • PCT.482
  • CONF8-22
  • PCT.267
  • STREAKL1
  • HOME22-13
  • AWAY5-15
  • NEUTRAL0-1

He didn't say they were good in 2018, he said they were a good program. ...and historically they have been.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Yes, SEC success makes me feel a little better.
nereus
AG
DogCompany74 said:

It just depends on how many tiers there are and how many teams are in each tier. There are just under 300 teams in div I and we are definitely in the top 25. If there are only 3 tiers, we are towards the top of the top tier. We certainly aren't an LSU or Florida, but my guess is a bunch of people would define top tier large enough that it includes A&M.
ABCDE
Don't know about 10 of top 12 but 5 or 6 of the top 12 is possible. A&M, Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss had a chance to take of business but couldn't. Auburn, SC, and Vandy could be in there. At the end of the day they are trying to crown a National Champion and the process they have now does that in the most effective manner that's available right now.
Mike Elko
AG
Once OSU came back to beat UNC, I had a feeling they'd win it all. Or, at least make it to the championship series. Hopefully MSU pulls it together for the second game, but OSU's a helluva team.
TMF
AG
MSFC Aggie said:

None of this makes me feel better about A&M not being there

Bingo. Not as fun when we continuously **** the bed.
Aggie
AG
94chem said:

DogCompany74 said:

The Lost said:

94chem said:

yes.

Sorry but that answer is clearly No
It's debatable if we would even be considered a regional power.... much less a national power
Aggie
AG
ABCDE said:

Don't know about 10 of top 12 but 5 or 6 of the top 12 is possible. A&M, Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss had a chance to take of business but couldn't. Auburn, SC, and Vandy could be in there.

What do you mean " had a chance to take care of business but couldn't "?
By that standard didn't every team in the field that didn't advance have a chance to " take care of business but couldn't "
94chem
Aggie said:

94chem said:

DogCompany74 said:

The Lost said:

94chem said:

yes.

It's debatable if we would even be considered a regional power.... much less a national power

Whatevs
TXAGBQ76
AG
Isn't A&M sitting at home because they lost the Super Regional? How did the NCAA rig that?
HowdyTAMU
AG
Before anyone declares victory on this one, doesn't State still need to beat OSU?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

The NCAA did everything it could to stop the SEC

They did?

Not that it will do any good, but lets take a look at the FACTS:

The SEC got 10 spots. Only 2 other conferences got as many as half of that. Arguably 2 of the SEC teams were questionable. Then, the SEC got 4 national seeds, all in the top 8. Even if you think the SEC deserved more national seeds, the various teams in question -- Auburn, Miss. St., SoCar, and Vandy -- took care of business on the field. Also, the seedings (now with 16) can be bid dependent. Or, at least they have been in the past.

As far as the Supers parings, how the hell is the committee supposed to know who is going to win a regional, especially when the national seeds don't? I agree that Vandy or Miss. State should have played at either the Chapel Hill or Stetson regional, and one other SEC team should have gone to Stanford or Coastal, but other than that, LSU was the only SEC team in their Super Regional bracket and they lost their regional. Georgia lost their's as well -- at home, paving the way for tech to host the Super. Is either one of those the committee's fault?

So essentially we have 2 issues: the 1, 4, 5, 8 national seeding that probably could have been been 1, 3, 4, 7 or something like that, and the lack of an SEC team in two full SR brackets. Considering travel the way the committee does, it is pretty hard to argue the latter was conspiratorial. There are so many variables here -- team strength, travel, balance of regionals, who brings fans, etc. that it just isn't going to work out right for someone. Had they changed the top 8 seedings or sent one more SEC team to Coastal, the other conferences/fans would have *****ed that the committee is trying to protect the SEC. I guarantee you the committee feels like they're in a no-win situation regardless of what they do. The other conferences' fans already think the SEC controls the NCAA.

I wish people would quit thinking that every time a decision made by someone doesn't benefit them (in this case, A&M or the SEC), that they're the victim of a screw job. At the very least, come to the table with some EVIDENCE (like I've done with regard to NCAA COI enforcement on other threads). Just making the charge and hoping groupthink/mob mentality will take over isn't a characteristic of an educated Aggie. At least, I hope not.
TMartin
Is Oregon State starting their convicted child molester?
GEA89
AG
Aggie said:

94chem said:

DogCompany74 said:

The Lost said:

94chem said:

yes.

Definitely a no.

Power teams have won at least one game at Omaha in the last 1/4 of a century.

Aggies2009
AG
GEA89 said:

Aggie said:

94chem said:

DogCompany74 said:

The Lost said:

94chem said:

yes.

Definitely a no.

What an interesting and non-arbitrary metric for determining a powerhouse team!
BanderaAg956
GEA89 said:

Aggie said:

94chem said:

DogCompany74 said:

The Lost said:

94chem said:

yes.

Definitely a no.

Seems to be a very simple and effective metric!
Gizzards
AG
The Texags conspiracy theories never cease to amaze me. Did you hear the one about the skies originally being maroon, but God did everything he could to make them blue? Geez, we just can't catch a break!
Chester
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

The NCAA did everything it could to stop the SEC

They did?

Not that it will do any good, but lets take a look at the FACTS:

The SEC got 10 spots. Only 2 other conferences got as many as half of that. Arguably 2 of the SEC teams were questionable. Then, the SEC got 4 national seeds, all in the top 8. Even if you think the SEC deserved more national seeds, the various teams in question -- Auburn, Miss. St., SoCar, and Vandy -- took care of business on the field. Also, the seedings (now with 16) can be bid dependent. Or, at least they have been in the past.

As far as the Supers parings, how the hell is the committee supposed to know who is going to win a regional, especially when the national seeds don't? I agree that Vandy or Miss. State should have played at either the Chapel Hill or Stetson regional, and one other SEC team should have gone to Stanford or Coastal, but other than that, LSU was the only SEC team in their Super Regional bracket and they lost their regional. Georgia lost their's as well -- at home, paving the way for tech to host the Super. Is either one of those the committee's fault?

So essentially we have 2 issues: the 1, 4, 5, 8 national seeding that probably could have been been 1, 3, 4, 7 or something like that, and the lack of an SEC team in two full SR brackets. Considering travel the way the committee does, it is pretty hard to argue the latter was conspiratorial. There are so many variables here -- team strength, travel, balance of regionals, who brings fans, etc. that it just isn't going to work out right for someone. Had they changed the top 8 seedings or sent one more SEC team to Coastal, the other conferences/fans would have *****ed that the committee is trying to protect the SEC. I guarantee you the committee feels like they're in a no-win situation regardless of what they do. The other conferences' fans already think the SEC controls the NCAA.

I wish people would quit thinking that every time a decision made by someone doesn't benefit them (in this case, A&M or the SEC), that they're the victim of a screw job. At the very least, come to the table with some EVIDENCE (like I've done with regard to NCAA COI enforcement on other threads). Just making the charge and hoping groupthink/mob mentality will take over isn't a characteristic of an educated Aggie. At least, I hope not.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Rest fighters! It's summer and there is nothing from now until football but soccer and Wimbledon. All is good! I'm taking Arkansas!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Sq 17
back to the OP
NCAA definitely tried to prevent an All SEC championship series and was successful. IIRC Some SEC seeds were paired in super regional and were on the same side of the bracket when then arrived in Omaha. MSU played well to get to that close to the final but that side of the bracket was designed to produce a non SEC

Actually it is the NCAA s responsibilty to make as much money for its member schools
so if the seedings are arranged to create a higher rated final the NCAA has done their job properly.
Re-Seeding once a tourney has started should never be allowed or the money making will take a back seat to fairness. Every few years reseeding the Final Four comes up and I hope they never do it.
zagman
AG
When you put the tsip AD on the committee along with a bias South Carolina AD, Tanner, the SEC gets the shaft. Tanner comes from the AD line of Eric Hyman.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.