Instead of a 4th Inning Fill....

6,240 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXAGBQ76
tonytx05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm great, thanks for asking! I had fun at the game last night and sold my two extra seats. Funny thing though, they never showed up! Now how do you propose we punish those people for not filling the seats?
Captain Pablo
AG
tonytx05 said:

I'm great, thanks for asking! I had fun at the game last night and sold my two extra seats. Funny thing though, they never showed up! Now how do you propose we punish those people for not filling the seats?

I didn't propose punishing people who don't show up for games

What are you talking about?
tonytx05
AG
All of this is punishment. Making season ticket holders jump through extra hoops to use the tickets they already paid for.

My tickets are claimed the day they show up in the mail. No extra effort required after that other than showing up. It's a beautifully simple system.
Captain Pablo
AG
tonytx05 said:

All of this is punishment. Making season ticket holders jump through extra hoops to use the tickets they already paid for.

My tickets are claimed the day they show up in the mail. No extra effort required after that other than showing up. It's a beautifully simple system.

OMG it's not "punishment"

Geez. Checking a box

Right up there with knives shoved under your toenails
Buford T. Justice
AG
Captain Pablo said:

Buford T. Justice said:

Programs of this nature have been around professional sports for years. The key to success is using an app, whereby you claim an empty seat on the app, and then show the seating location to the usher, and they issue you a ticket for the seats.

Secondarily, there is no need to do this in college athletics. If seats at a baseball game go empty, it's not going to affect a single thing. Get real.

Of course it "affects" something

It "affects" whether there is a person in the seats - whether they are there supporting the team

You don't think people attending games matters?

Are you seriously saying whether people show up to support our Aggies is merely an inconsequential afterthought?

And of course it "affects" other things as well... concessions, merchandise, and yes, opportunities for others to attend the games but for hoarding by people too lazy to sell their tickets or give them away

Have you ever heard of this thing called "The 12th Man"?

You see, that is basically a tradition we have at A&M whereby students and fans show up in person and support our athletic teams

It's really cool, IMO

I suppose that's all just a bunch of hooey?

What I referenced was "empty seats."
But...you opened up an entire new subject.
Fan support does not equate to program success.
Hate to break it to you. Your support is simply your being entertained. If fan support equated to success, which is commonly defined by championships, then good ol' A&M would be building new trophy cases.

Your attendance does not affect batting average, era's, or w's and l's. Don't believe me? Take some games off, and see if the program nose-dives.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
wareagle044
The world we live in...if it's not broken...Fix it mentality.
jkag89
It makes those who are willing to pay for a full season of tickets (aka those paying the freight for the program) go through additional step(s) to make sure their seat is available when they show up. Why can you not understand this? With all the problems that could arise with the "fill in plan," which for the most part have no problem with for most midweek games as long as reserved seat tickets holders can get obnoxious fans (thinking mostly opposing fans) removed from their section if they choose, it is far better than this silly idea.
VegasAg86
AG
Captain Pablo said:

Tanya 93 said:

Um.

They have to claim their tickets an hour before first pitch or they lose them? What about those who are working? Traveling? In class?

Um

You claim them online ..... any time up to an hour before 1st pitch

Just let us know you are coming... if you're not, then let somebody else use your tickets
12thman.com app with a notification before the game - will you be attending? Check Yes or No. Work out the details on timing the notification and response time, but seems reasonable to me. Why not let the school resell tickets people aren't going to use?

tonytx05
AG
VegasAg86 said:

12thman.com app with a notification before the game - will you be attending? Check Yes or No. Work out the details on timing the notification and response time, but seems reasonable to me.

Not all Ags, especially older ones, are proficient enough with technology to make that work. And again, you are adding a burden to people who have already paid good money for those tickets, regardless of how slight some of you perceive that burden to be.

VegasAg86 said:

Why not let the school resell tickets people aren't going to use?

Because you will depress up-front ticket sales and run into problems when inevitably someone doesn't "claim" their ticket (which seems crazy, I paid for it so doesn't that imply I claimed it?) and shows up to find someone else in their seat with a ticket sold a second time. I'm sure that will go over smoothly!
jkag89
VegasAg86 said:

Captain Pablo said:

Tanya 93 said:

Um.

They have to claim their tickets an hour before first pitch or they lose them? What about those who are working? Traveling? In class?

Um

Just let us know you are coming... if you're not, then let somebody else use your tickets
12thman.com app with a notification before the game - will you be attending? Check Yes or No. Work out the details on timing the notification and response time, but seems reasonable to me. Why not let the school resell tickets people aren't going to use?

They should not have to jump through that hoop to use their ticket. I would not object to some sort of voluntary program which season tickets holders could opt into such a plan (maybe offering a discount to opt in) but folks are busy and forgetful, guess what there will be folks that show up at Olsen from out of town believing they have seats but find out because they missed this notification and find their seat has been sold to someone else if this were to go into effect.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Sounds like your no show buyers are intentionally harming the program, concessions and T-shirt sales.
tonytx05
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

Sounds like your no show buyers are intentionally harming the program, concessions and T-shirt sales.

It was terrible. Every time an Aggie runner looked up from second base to see those empty seats, I swear I saw a tear fall from his eyes.
75AG
AG
tonytx05 said:

TXAGBQ76 said:

It was terrible. Every time an Aggie runner looked up from second base to see those empty seats, I swear I saw a tear fall from his eyes.
TXAGBQ76
AG
To all it may concern:
This is my formal notification that I will in fact be seated in my two season ticket seats. I will be supporting the team, but guess I'm still a bad guy because I will not be supporting the bad over priced consession offerings nor the T-shirt vendors.
Tanya 93
VegasAg86 said:

Captain Pablo said:

Tanya 93 said:

Um.

Um

Because I had already paid for those tickets when I had season tickets.

Now are you saying the 12th man is going to give the season ticket owner all the money they make reselling their ticket?

And my husband doesn't have a smart phone. Many of the older season ticket holders don't.

They now need a new phone so they can push an app to keep tickets they already paid a premium for?
powerbelly
AG
I couldnt give away my mid-week game tickets when I had season tickets. There isnt going to be a huge market for fill-in sales.
budah
I spoke to the usher in my section last night around the 4th about it. He told me that they all received an email stating that the 4th inning fill in was only for non-series games. He even had someone show him the message from 12th man. He said they have to do what they are told no matter what was sent out..
VegasAg86
AG
Tanya 93 said:

VegasAg86 said:

Because I had already paid for those tickets when I had season tickets.

Now are you saying the 12th man is going to give the season ticket owner all the money they make reselling their ticket?

And my husband doesn't have a smart phone. Many of the older season ticket holders don't.

They now need a new phone so they can push an app to keep tickets they already paid a premium for?
Could be an app or online for those that don't want to use an app. No new phone needed. Then use jkag89's idea, have it be an opt-in. Don't want to participate, don't. Want to participate, opt-in.
TexasRebel
AG
I feel like I had this idea last year.
tonytx05
AG
VegasAg86 said:

Could be an app or online for those that don't want to use an app. No new phone needed.

Again, this is all based on the faulty idea of burdening people who already paid for their tickets to be able to use their tickets.
VegasAg86
AG
tonytx05 said:

VegasAg86 said:

Could be an app or online for those that don't want to use an app. No new phone needed.

Again, this is all based on the faulty idea of burdening people who already paid for their tickets to be able to use their tickets.
Love how you edited out the "opt-in" statement. Don't want that burden, don't opt-in.

To be clear, I would make it an opt-in, the default is you are not in the program and you have to choose to participate, not an opt-out that the default is you are in the program.
tonytx05
AG
Sure, because the people that don't opt-in are the same ones who don't sell/give away tickets already. So how does that change anything?

You are all trying to fix something that isn't a real problem.
75AG
AG
I wish more people would have filled in the empty seats in our section today. It was cold, and we could have used the extra warmth!
tonytx05
AG
VegasAg86 said:

Love how you edited out the "opt-in" statement. Don't want that burden, don't opt-in.

To be clear, I would make it an opt-in, the default is you are not in the program and you have to choose to participate, not an opt-out that the default is you are in the program.

Yes, I ignored the opt-in part because it's irrelevant in terms of why I think this makes no sense. There are already voluntary systems for offering up your tickets. They're called Flash Seats and TexAgs. How does a third system change anything?
VegasAg86
AG
tonytx05 said:

VegasAg86 said:

Yes, I ignored the opt-in part because it's irrelevant in terms of why I think this makes no sense. There are already voluntary systems for offering up your tickets. They're called Flash Seats and TexAgs. How does a third system change anything?

It was 100 percent relevant to your claim of burdening people who already paid for their tickets.

Flash Seats and TexAgs still leave empty seats. Enough of them that the Athletic Department came up with the 4th inning fill in. Not sure why discussing ways to improve it is a bad thing.
tonytx05
AG
VegasAg86 said:

Flash Seats and TexAgs still leave empty seats. Enough of them that the Athletic Department came up with the 4th inning fill in. Not sure why discussing ways to improve it is a bad thing.

What exactly are we improving again? Who is harmed by these terrible empty seats (other than 75AG being cold)?
VegasAg86
AG
tonytx05 said:

VegasAg86 said:

What exactly are we improving again? Who is harmed by these terrible empty seats (other than 75AG being cold)?

Check with the Athletic Department, they're who came up with the 4th inning fill. This thread was started to discuss an improvement to that.
TXAggie2011
AG
tonytx05 said:

VegasAg86 said:

I would say no one is harmed. You don't need harm to exist to improve something. They're trying to get people closer to home plate and closer to each other and I'm sure they're hoping that improves the atmosphere.
tonytx05
AG
This topic isn't about the 4th Inning Fill (which the more we learn the more it seems that will only impact mid-week games anyway, which makes it pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things). This is tired re-hashing of people thinking the secondary method of selling unused tickets (Flash Seats) and the tertiary method (TexAgs) need a quaternary method that makes me tell TMF I'm coming to a game that I already damn well paid for! This seems to happen at the beginning of the season and by the time SEC play rolls around it becomes a moo issue.

Previous topic hijacked over this starting here: https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/2820346/replies/48290971
And again: https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/2830637/replies/48450436
Aggieangler93
AG
I know I have used flash to upgrade my seats during the game, when sitting in a less than desirable location. Sometimes I have sold seats after the game started too, just so I don't lose all the money I had in them. That part seems to work fine.

We'll see how the 4th inning fill in works. Well, someone will. My schedule being what it is this spring, I am not sure I will ever make a game in person except tu....and I know there will be no open seats then, so no fill in.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
BQ_90
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I know I have used flash to upgrade my seats during the game, when sitting in a less than desirable location. Sometimes I have sold seats after the game started too, just so I don't lose all the money I had in them. That part seems to work fine.

We'll see how the 4th inning fill in works. Well, someone will. My schedule being what it is this spring, I am not sure I will ever make a game in person except tu....and I know there will be no open seats then, so no fill in.
So did you leave the park and then renter with the upgraded seats?

Thi snow system will save you money since you can mover to new seat in the fourth
Aggieangler93
AG
Just walked to the bottom of the steps, and asked the nice lady to scan and print it for me. No worries there.
Hop
Staff
AG
Captain Pablo said:

tonytx05 said:

Bottom line is the 12th Man already made their money off the initial ticket sale. All of this rambling is pointless. If you want a seat, buy one and go sit in it.

There is more to it than 12Man making their money

There is the aspect of actually having people in the seats, which you are ignoring

If you cant take responsibility for your own actions and show up to help the team, then let somebody else pick up your slack

You still have not stated why it's a bad idea. Nobody has, other than "No! They're MINE!!!"

Use it or lose it

It's perfect

I helped the team by purchasing season tickets. I help the team by going to every game. So after I purchase season tickets and have them in my hand, I have to go into some system an hour before every game and confirm that I'm going?

What if I forget to call in one game and I show up at a seat that has been double-sold? I think it's a moot point anyway. Isn't there a law against selling the same ticket twice?

It's a bad idea. You are forcing everybody to put in twice the effort and resources to simply fill in the lower deck. I'd rather have the free-for-all they have now than create more red tape with ticket procedures.
Aggieangler93
AG
Hop said:

"...I'd rather have the free-for-all they have now than create more red tape with ticket procedures."
Hop is right....they can barely get season ticket holders their tickets before the season starts. How bad do you think they would mess it up if they went with your idea?
TexasRebel
AG
How long does it take to get a barcode in an email or the 12th Man app?

I still don't think it's unreasonable to have season ticket holders confirm their attendance and get the tickets the week of the event.

See. MSC OPAS
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.