Jack Conlon

55,384 Views | 257 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HoustonAg2106
Tex100
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

What's the update on Premium?
He may get a 2 million dollar bonus.
Mike Elko
AG
Yowser! Good for him, though.
Sean98
AG
It was rumored he might get $1M as the 4th rounder, so I don't think something near $2M is out of the question. 30 teams in play instead of 1, no limit on bonus pool money, etc.
Leander - Ag
AG
he gone
Snap E Tom
Edit - OOPS NEVERMIND.
zagman
AG
Must pass physical first!
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
themissinglink
AG
He has a deal with the Giants pending physical...

Should be interesting to see the outcome of the physical.
powerbelly
AG
I think he passes. The Orioles have pulled this stunt before.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Good for him. I believe all of us would have done the same.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Ditching the Ags for the Giants is bad bull in my opinion...
Astrobo
AG
DodgerAg32 said:

A million dollars would not turn your head? Hmmm
themissinglink
AG
Astrobo said:

DodgerAg32 said:

Judging from his username, it's a joke...
powerbelly
AG
DodgerAg32 said:

At least you got Kershaw.
Astrobo
AG
Maybe so..... confirms the reason I don't post much on these boards. I am slow to recognize internet sarcasm.
Snap E Tom
Welp. As a Dodgers fan, I officially hate him.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
themissinglink said:

Astrobo said:

DodgerAg32 said:

Judging from his username, it's a joke...
Definitely a joke! Can't fault anyone for passing up on college to get paid to play a game. Wish him the best except when he's playing the Dodgers!
McInnis
AG
What happened to Barret Loux? He failed his physical after being drafted but didn't get free agency did he? I think I remember he ended up signing with the Cubs, but wasn't that after he sat out a year? It's probably been discussed here but I can't remember.
BurnetAggie99
After failing his physical like Colon and not getting the $2 million dollar signing bonus, the Ranger picked him up through free agency for a signing bonus of $312,000. So he lost a lot of money in his case. I think currently he's with the Laredo Lemurs.
Mr.Ackar07
Quote:

Heading into the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft, Loux was seen as a potential late-first round pick.Surprising many, the Arizona Diamondbacksdrafted Loux with the sixth overall selection, agreeing to a pre-draft deal with Loux with a $2 million signing bonus. However, Loux failed his physical with the Diamondbacks due to a torn labrum and elbow damage that doctors felt might require ligament-replacement surgery in the future. As a result, the Diamondbacks did not offer Loux a contract, as the franchise chose to take advantage of compensation rules that instead would grant them the seventh overall pick in the 2011 Major League Baseball Draft if they did not sign Loux.

Though unsigned draft picks typically cannot begin their professional careers until the next season, MLB declared Loux a free agent in an unprecedented move.After throwing for scouts,Loux signed a contract with the Texas Rangers, receiving a signing bonus of $312,000. In an attempt to prevent this situation from happening again, the new collective bargaining agreement negotiated that winter by MLB and the MLB Players Association added clauses that included mandatory physicals for all top 200 prospects prior to the draft, and a rule that makes all future draft picks who fail a physical and do not receive an offer of at least 40 percent of the assigned value for that pick are to become free agents, with the team facing a reduction in the amount of money they can spend on their draft picks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barret_Loux
NewAggieBallFan
The Laredo Lemurs actually folded this year but Barret did play there most of last summer earning an all star nod. Unfortunately he retired officially last fall, got his 7 series license for investments and is currently in the work force. He is getting married this September to a beautiful Aggie that he met a few years ago.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Congratulations to Barret!
McInnis
AG
Quote:

the MLB Players Association added clauses that included mandatory physicals for all top 200 prospects prior to the draft

If Conlon was drafted in the fourth round, why didn't he get a physical before the draft, or did he? Did Baltimore screw around with him? It sounds like in Barrett's case at least the results of his physical with Arizona were legit.
OnlyForNow
AG
Legit or not, it took an Aggie getting the 1.6 million dollar short end of the stick for then to figure it out.

Hope he is successful in his 9-5 though!
TXAggie2011
AG
Safe at Home said:

Quote:

the MLB Players Association added clauses that included mandatory physicals for all top 200 prospects prior to the draft

If Conlon was drafted in the fourth round, why didn't he get a physical before the draft, or did he? Did Baltimore screw around with him? It sounds like in Barrett's case at least the results of his physical with Arizona were legit.
After drafting a player, the team is going to look more closely at it/have the guy go through another physical.

Unless we hear what Baltimore's concern was, its hard to say. It might have been a borderline issue that left enough teams on the "sign-him" side of things for him to be able to get up to a very nice bonus.

There is no clear motivation for why Baltimore would try to do something to send him to the open market as a free agent.
dcaggie04
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Safe at Home said:

Quote:

After drafting a player, the team is going to look more closely at it/have the guy go through another physical.

Unless we hear what Baltimore's concern was, its hard to say. It might have been a borderline issue that left enough teams on the "sign-him" side of things for him to be able to get up to a very nice bonus.

There is no clear motivation for why Baltimore would try to do something to send him to the open market as a free agent.
Yeah, Baltimore could have offered him the 40% minimum and then he would have either had to chose to sign for the lower amount with the Orioles or come to A&M.
TheChameleon
AG
Wouldn't want anyone at A&M that doesn't want to be there anyhow. Next year's squad will be the best version yet. Appreciate anyone who would still support the program. They'll go to war with the kids who want to be there.
TXAggie2011
AG
TheChameleon said:

Wouldn't want anyone at A&M that doesn't want to be there anyhow. Next year's squad will be the best version yet. Appreciate anyone who would still support the program. They'll go to war with the kids who want to be there.

That doesn't seem fair to the kid. There is a difference between not wanting to be at A&M and taking a $2 million signing bonus to go be a professional athlete.
Aggie1205
AG
Has it been confirmed that he passed the physical?
themissinglink
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Has it been confirmed that he passed the physical?
Haven't seen anything confirming it. His twitter says nothing about it.
W
AG
so it's been 10 days since "pending a physical" or "needing to pass a physical"
TexAg91
AG
And now 17 days....
aggiewilliford
When we they release any info???
Leander - Ag
The_Accountant15
Should be a fun guy to watch! Gig 'em, Jack!
TexAg91
AG
Watch in Aggieland or SF?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.