Jack Conlon

55,267 Views | 257 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HoustonAg2106
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Hop said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Hop said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Uncle Gunnysack said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Go away.
lol, you going to whine about me not having an Ag Tag next?

Nope, just think it's ridiculous to compare BK to what RC has accomplished....BK has made the postseason one time in 6 years
It's an apples to oranges comparison. A&M baseball historically has more success, better facilities, and a long-time avid fanbase. Plus, the greatest concentration of youth baseball talent in this country resides within a three hour radius of College Station. I'm not saying who's better or anything like that, but judging coaching performance based on the frequency of postseason play alone is not an accurate gauge to compare coaching performance when the basketball program at one point went 20 years without going to the postseason.

I agree with a lot of that, but BK inherited a program that had been to 6 straight NCAA appearances and didn't make his one and only NCAA tournament until his 5th year...someone tried to argue that what BK has built is more exciting than RC and that's just absurd

I get that they are different sports and success is defined differently, but RC is on track to be the best coach in A&M baseball history, and BK isn't even the 2nd best coach in the last 10 years for his sport.

Looking back on it though, I think that person was just being a troll...

Two things...first, the roster that Turgeon left had a handful of good players, but the pipeline was pretty weak and quality depth was very thin. There's no question the overall talent in the program had slowly eroded during the Turgeon era. Two of those top players (Middleton, Roberson) missed a significant portion of the season and even when Middleton came back, he was not the same player nursing a bad knee. They were playing walk-ons midway through the season. Second, the Parkinson's diagnosis was a huge blow both to the team in that first year and it affected recruiting in that first class. They had a commit from a Top 25 national prospect and had several official visits set with Top 50 recruits including overall #1 Jabari Parker. After the diagnosis, the commit opened up his recruitment and the other big names dropped A&M. So anything that could've gone wrong, did go wrong. Frankly, I'm surprised Kennedy was retained at the time. But he obviously was retained. From the point when Kennedy hired Stansbury 3-4 years ago, the program has been on a consistently upward trend from a talent-standpoint that will hopefully culminate in this upcoming season.

RC is the best coach in school history? Possibly...but there are holes in his resume' to be considered the best. He's been a national seed (Top 8) once in his 13 years. He has not won a CWS game in his tenure. He's been a good coach and has carried the torch of Aggie baseball admirably...but has the program taken that next step that you'd expect for a program in the prestigious SEC, top facilities, top fan support, and close proximity to baseball talent? That's a good question to discuss and there are valid points on both sides of that argument.
I feel like we're having two very different discussions here...one comparing what BK and RC have built relative to their particular sport and circumstances...and the other being has RC met expectations relative to the advantages he has been given.

Well RC's expectation is a championship so no he has not...I think we all agree that he needs to take that next step towards winning a title and right now he has put the program in a position to do so we shall see.

BK's expectation is definitely not winning a title, it's making the tournament...and this program in this conference has no business missing the tournament 5 out of 6 years...if he doesn't make it to the dance this year he is fired (or at least should be)...if RC doesn't win the CWS is he fired?

Like I said previously, the first two years were washed out due to bad luck, bad management, etc. But looking at the most recent results since the program got past the Parkinson's diagnosis, it's clear the talent level across the board has improved significantly over the past three years and expectations are as high for next year's team as any in school history. That's a more accurate and detailed representation of the status of the basketball program at the moment. Yes, if this staff can't win with this talent, a major red flag is raised.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Agreed
greg.w.h
AG
Nice basketball thread...
HoustonAg2106
AG
greg.w.h said:

Haha that was not the intention
Hop
Staff
AG
greg.w.h said:

When posters start comparing the success of the baseball coach to the basketball coach, the door to that discussion is open.
Sean98
AG
Hop said:

greg.w.h said:

When posters start comparing the success of the baseball coach to the basketball coach, the door to that discussion is open.

Or, you know, someone on staff could just delete all the basketball BS. There's a reason I don't go to that board and it's because I don't give 2 s**ts about basketball. I couldn't tell you the name of any player or coach on our team and that's not an accident. Don't care.

Welcome back to the baseball board.
Hop
Staff
AG
Sean98 said:

Hop said:

greg.w.h said:

Or, you know, someone on staff could just delete all the basketball BS. There's a reason I don't go to that board and it's because I don't give 2 s**ts about basketball. I couldn't tell you the name of any player or coach on our team and that's not an accident. Don't care.

Well, a poster here attempted to evaluate the baseball coach's performance by comparing him to the basketball coach...and I'm saying that's a poor comparison. I think that's a relevant discussion point.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Hop said:

Sean98 said:

Hop said:

greg.w.h said:

Well, a poster here attempted to evaluate the baseball coach's performance by comparing him to the basketball coach...and I'm saying that's a poor comparison. I think that's a relevant discussion point.

Just to be clear, I did not start that comparison
letters at random
Basketball is awesome!
src94
AG
Any update as to what the health issue is?
themissinglink
AG
src94 said:

Any update as to what the health issue is?
supposedly he is fine. It's his long term health teams were worried about.
Serious Lee
i started that comparison

Quote:

he's the only men's coach that's actually building an exciting program and has been for the last 3 years...
this is the comment i disagreed with. Any aggie basketball fan would have an issue with this and sandhoips' retort speaks loudly. I hate how our alumni cant get behind all aggie sports.
TXAggie2011
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

Quote:

he's the only men's coach that's actually building an exciting program and has been for the last 3 years...
this is the comment i disagreed with. Any aggie basketball fan would have an issue with this and sandhoips' retort speaks loudly. I hate how our alumni cant get behind all aggie sports.

1) Sandhop is an argumentative butt who generally speaking I dont take as a pulse of the fanbase.

2) I don't think saying someone has been the best men's coach or whatever the wording is means they aren't behind all the sports.

3) The basketball team might be exciting (surely will be) and has had some excitement at times in the recent past but as a fan of the basketball team I wouldn't claim they've been consistently successful and exciting any time under the current coaching staff.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

Quote:

I never said anything about not supporting basketball or any other Aggie sport for that matter, I just feel like RC's program is the only men's sport that consistently competes for conference championships and has the program with the best chance to win a national championship in the near future...and the reason I brought it up was because even knowing all that there are still people who want him fired every year and that's crazy to me

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.