2017 NCAA Baseball tournament yea or nay

17,660 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ragoo
Tex100
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
drevans956 said:

Yes we get in as a 3 seed!
Yes we win a game! Beat the 4 seed
Yes we lose two games! Lose to the 1 & 2
No we don't make a Super Regional!

We would have to beat the 2 seed first.
I already have a dog
AG
No. If we lose to the 2 seed we'd play the 4 seed in a losers bracket game. (Unless the 4 beats the 1 in the other 1st round game.)
Ag CPA
AG
annie88 said:

Yes. #3, Lubbock.
If we drop to 3 I would be surprised if they let us stay that close to home.
CapCityAg89
AG
TylerAg95 said:

No. If we lose to the 2 seed we'd play the 4 seed in a losers bracket game. (Unless the 4 beats the 1 in the other 1st round game.)
Yea, plenty of negative crap getting thrown around this board by people who very obviously don't follow college baseball.

For those who don't know (several apparently), a regional bracket plays as:

G1: 1v4
G2: 2v3
--
G3: G1WvG2W
G4: G1LvG2L - elimination - we would have to lose to a very bad team to be 2&Q, assuming we lose G2
--
G5: G3LvG4W - elimination game - chalk says we play the 2 seed again
G6: G3WvG5W - elimination game for G5 winner; assuming the nay-sayers are right, this is a first opportunity to play a really good team
--
G7 only if the G5W wins G6.

I say yes, we make a regional as a 3. I think we win game 1 and game 3 on pitching. I think we get our hears ripped out in games 6 and 7 when we run out of pitchers and bats against the 1 seed.
mwm
South Carolina may be about to take TAMU's spot.
Texags is garbage
Think we should be a 3 seed, but I had a bad feeling when SCAR pulled ahead to go 3-1. Still feel like we're in, but there's definitely a reason to be sweating and that's not due to BAS.
twk
AG
mwm said:

South Carolina may be about to take TAMU's spot.
Not unless they win the tournament. A team that went 13-17 in the regular season isn't getting an at large bid at the expense of one that went 16-14 and a couple of big series wins.
Ragoo
AG
2 or 3 it doesn't really matter. If we show up to the regional and can hit the ball we can win it. I just hope we are seeded against 9-16 and not 1-8.
wareagle044
An SEC team with 16 wins in conference has never missed the tournament. Ags are in easy.
aginlakeway
AG
67walkon said:

Why wasted the time and money
In a few decades of following Aggie sports, I have NEVER considered going to see an Aggie sporting event a waste of time and money. Neither did my father. And that includes a LOT of trips between Michigan in 1977 and Bama in 2015.
AG
I just have a terrible suspicion that one of us (RPI 46) or Auburn (RPI 45) will get left out with the way the conference tournaments worked out, and we both have 16 conference wins. Coin flip. I am officially nervous.
aginlakeway
AG
TE-aXm-AS said:

I just have a terrible suspicion that one of us (RPI 46) or Auburn (RPI 45) will get left out with the way the conference tournaments worked out, and we both have 16 conference wins. Coin flip. I am officially nervous.
I am too ... just too many upsets today ...
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
Pretty sure we will be in... but never know I guess
Leander - Ag
AG
In
Bunk Moreland
I sure hope we are in, but the nervousness is exactly why I didn't like hearing RC say we could breathe easier after one win vs arky and any of the talk on here about not giving our all(with staff decisions) in the SECT because it "didn't really matter" and there were bigger goals out there.

We didn't have that luxury this year.

However, I do think we'll be probably 3rd or 4th to the last team in the field.
kraut
AG
wareagle044 said:

An SEC team with 16 wins in conference has never missed the tournament. Ags are in easy.
I fear this year that stat will change.
Ags77
AG
I didn't feel great about chances BEFORE these upsets. I really think that IF we get in... it's the last team in.
themissinglink
AG
I'm thinking we'll see...

Houston, TX
1. UofH
2. Whorns
3. Ags
4. Rice

Would be a fun regional. Paired with TCU in the supers.
Cyp0111
There is definitely times it's a waste of resources to watch the game. The trip is a different calculation
AG
Rice as a 4 seed? No chance that happens... Maybe Throw Texas Southern in there as the 4 seed and it would be more believable.
I already have a dog
AG
Coach made a mistake not going all in against Mizzou. Had a chance to move up a couple of critical spots with some wins in the tourney. Then the doomsday scenario played out with all the upsets in conference tourneys. If we get in, it will be one of the last couple of spots.
I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we do. Limping to the finish line and being on the bubble is a combination that rarely ends well. Add in our weak non-conference strength of schedule and we're in real trouble. I think the selection committee will go with hotter team who played tougher teams during the part of the season they controlled.
VegasAg86
AG
aginlakeway said:

TE-aXm-AS said:

We have the series win against them. Their finish was even worse than ours.
aginlakeway
AG
Cyp0111 said:

There is definitely times it's a waste of resources to watch the game. The trip is a different calculation
Again. I have never attended an Aggie sporting event that I thought was a waste of time and/or resources. Not one. Not even after the fact ...
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Wicked Good Ag
The only issue I have with RPI is the wild fluctuations of the season ending tourneys. Teams moved up 20+ spots based upon a season ending tourney to which each conference does differently.

I think this might be the year that RPI could hit us when the bubble burst. Miami Rice Oklahoma State made huge strides but all had .500 or worse records either conference or overall going into their respective tourneys

I understand some teams won the tourney and got the auto bid but no way the collective season Oklahoma State or Rice should be above us
BQ_90
AG
aginlakeway said:

Cyp0111 said:

Again. I have never attended an Aggie sporting event that I thought was a waste of time and/or resources. Not one. Not even after the fact ...
Just block him, it's much easier that way
AG
VegasAg86 said:

aginlakeway said:

TE-aXm-AS said:

We have the series win against them. Their finish was even worse than ours.
We played them at home; winning 2 out of 3 is an expectation and won't necessarily be held against them as a deciding factor. Auburn is 13-12 against the top 50, and 18-15 vs. the top 100. We are 10-16 vs. the top 50, and 16-20 vs. the top 100.

Not saying they will get in over us, but just that if only one of these two teams was to be taken, it is a coin flip at best.
W
AG
Auburn finished 3-7 in their last 10 games. A&M finished 2-8.

----

Auburn's big edge is its 5 series wins vs. top 50 opponents:

#3 Florida
#14 Arkansas
#28 Miss State
#32 South Carolina
#37 Ole Miss

the Ags can't come close to matching that
DeangeloVickers
AG
Id go ahead and put Frog2017 and add tickets to your cart

Then get ready for horrible sitelines...wooo'ing......and purple
MMantle
AG
How did Childress not go "all in"?

Was he supposed to start Brigham Hill, on 4 days rest?

RR
BanderaAg956
Tex100 said:

drevans956 said:

Yes we get in as a 3 seed!
Yes we win a game! Beat the 4 seed
Yes we lose two games! Lose to the 1 & 2
No we don't make a Super Regional!

We would have to beat the 2 seed first.

It's still a two loss and out tournament, it's kind of the rules!
vwbug
Got a bad feeling today. I hope I'm wrong.
I already have a dog
AG
4 days is considered full rest in the pros. Hill went 5 innings. Is a full week considered a requirement in college? If so, why? If it is than I guess there was nothing to be done and we just aren't good enough (or maybe are just barely good enough).
VegasAg86
AG
TylerAg95 said:

4 days is considered full rest in the pros. Hill went 5 innings. Is a full week considered a requirement in college? If so, why? If it is than I guess there was nothing to be done and we just aren't good enough (or maybe are just barely good enough).
A full week isn't necessarily a requirement, just the way it is done because of the scheduling. 15 or so weeks of pitch, 6 days off, pitch and the body/arm is used to that. Reduce it 33% in a week and you have no idea how the body/arm will react.

Edit - that 6 days isn't just "off", they have bullpen sessions and other things they do during the week, so you're looking at a significant change to their routine in a sport where routine is everything. Missouri held Houck out the weekend before to keep from using him on short rest, then we hit him hard. How much of that was we just had his number and how much was he wasn't sharp because of the change to the routine?
LaTex
Going to say we get in. Still had a winning record in conference. I think that bodes well for us.
mslags97
AG
I'm not sure. I don't feel good about it, and I think this team has no one to blame but themselves if they don't get in. 2-9 in last 11 is rough. Bats disappeared and the fielding dropped off the map. Pitching was wildly inconsistent. Some good. Some great. And some awful.

But, I think this is a bubble team the committee should like. We are deep in the pitching category, which makes for a dangerous regional 2 or 3 seed, which makes for some possible attention-grabbing drama. This is what they should want. We have a team very capable of making a deep run in the entire tournament and that is a big factor in my opinion. This team will go as far as their arms will take them, and that could be a long way depending on what arms show up over the next 2-4 weeks. Maybe I'm just talking myself into us getting in!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.