This Weekend in the SEC (5/18 - 5/20)

6,954 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Goose06
LSU Baseball Fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, looks like we have to earn a share of the SEC title the hard way. Florida wins 6-4.

Didn't have any faith in the Cats winning in Gainesville. Losing those winniable games to A&M and Carolina has come back to bite us. Oh well, it'll still be a great year if we split for the title.
W
AG
West Virginia wins game 2 in Austin. That officially locks in WVU (32-21) and t.u. (32-20) as #2 seeds. Both should finish with top 25 RPI's
W
AG
Virginia wins their final series at Georgia Tech. UVA is 41-13 and 18-12 in the ACC. The top 14 hosts appear set.

leaving the last 2 spots among:

#15 FSU
#16 OU
#17 Arizona
#20 Long Beach
Wicked Good Ag
Still a lot of conference tourney play. Watching Florida State go up 14 spots during a weekend series that isn't over yet still gives a lot of room for movement.
W
AG
OU lost the first game vs. OSU and is trailing in the second one.

Long Beach got a win today. Looking good to host
jkag89
Okie State up 4 - 1 in the 7th of the second game. A win gives them the final spot in the BDF Tourney, lose their season is over.
W
AG
FSU-UL was rained out. So the Seminoles finish 14-14 and in 8th place in the ACC standings. That doesn't feel like a regional host.

Arizona (35-17) should take the last spot if they keep winning
LSU Baseball Fan
LSU wins and are co-champs. Have to think that shores up a national seed, so long as we don't bomb out in Hoover. Even if we have to share it, the SEC title is always something to be proud of.
jkag89
LSU finishes the sweep of State and hence regular season co-Champs with Florida.
jkag89
What?!?!?! I've been told that LSU doesn't care about things as paltry as conference titles.
W
AG
quite a fall by State the last 2 weekends. The Bulldogs were 16-8 and in control of the West after leaving Blue Bell. Finished 17-13 and 4 games out of 1st.

State would appear to be the obvious # 2 seed for Southern Miss' regional
LSU Baseball Fan
jkag89 said:

What?!?!?! I've been told that LSU doesn't care about things as paltry as conference titles.

Success in Omaha is the ultimate standard for LSU baseball, but winning the SEC and/or the conference tournament is so difficult nowadays, any success in that regard should be celebrated. Proud of these boys. It's been a great season so far. We're 11-1 in the last four SEC series. I hope it carries over into the postseason.
jkag89
Other Saturday Top 25 Scores
Washington St. 0 - #1 Oregon St. 5
Duke 7 - #3 North Carolina 9
Hawaii 4 - #9 Long Beach St. 8
Washington 5 - #11 Stanford 7
#12 Virginia 10 - Georgia Tech 9
#13 Clemson 15 - North Carolina St. 6
#14 Fullerton 16 - CS Northridge 7
#16 Michigan 2 - Michigan St. 1 (10 innings)
#18 Arizona 9 - Arizona St. 5
Pittsburgh 4 - #19 Wake Forest 14
Villanova 9 - #20 St. John's 6
Okie State 9 - #21 Oklahoma 7 (Resumption of suspended game)
Okie State 5 - #21 Oklahoma 2
#23 Nebraska 21 - Penn State 3
#25 Old Dominion 0 - Florida Atlantic 3
jkag89
LSU Baseball Fan said:

jkag89 said:

Success in Omaha is the ultimate standard for LSU baseball, but winning the SEC and/or the conference tournament is so difficult nowadays, any success in that regard should be celebrated. Proud of these boys. It's been a great season so far. We're 11-1 in the last four SEC series. I hope it carries over into the postseason.
I completely understand this but many here seemingly do not. Success should be recognized even if it is not the ultimate goal. Nice to see even a program as celebrated as LSU has not lost sight of this.
W
AG
Arizona (36-17) finished the sweep of ASU last night. That puts the Wildcats at 15-12 in the Pac-12 with 1 weekend to go.

so the 16 hosts look like the top 15 + Long Beach (RPI #19)
twk
AG
W said:

Arizona (36-17) finished the sweep of ASU last night. That puts the Wildcats at 15-12 in the Pac-12 with 1 weekend to go.

so the 16 hosts look like the top 15 + Long Beach (RPI #19)
As of today, I think you're right. Since Arizona still has that final weekend series against Cal, if they stumbled, and WVU were to take the final game against the sips today, I would say that it's not beyond the realm of possibility that WVU would host instead of Arizona, but I think that's unlikely. FSU at 14-14 should probably be passed over, but you never know.

On that national seed side, I wouldn't be surprised if Southern MIssissippi (sitting at 10 right now) got a national seed at the expense of someone in the top 8 (probably an SEC school).
W
AG
let's see if sixteen surefire #2 seeds can be found.

from the SEC ---> Vandy and State

Big 12 ---> WVU, BU, OU, and t.u.

ACC ---> FSU
AAC ---> Houston, USF, & UCF
MVC ---> Missouri State
Pac-12 ---> none

that makes 11 teams.

then probably #31 NCSt, #34 Fullerton, and one B1G club...for teams 12, 13, & 14.

there are quite a few mid-majors between #30 and #40 that don't look like #2 seeds due to SoS and top 50 record. Such that #41 A&M or #42 Nebraska or #43 Auburn could be / will be #2 seeds
LSU Baseball Fan
McNeese State and/or Southeastern is highly likely to be a 2 seed if they do well in the conference tournament, especially SELU. McNeese is more likely a 3 seed at the moment. Baton Rouge and Hattiesburg are likely destinations.

Watch out for La Tech and ULL to make the field, too. Would be the second year in a row to have 5 Louisiana teams in the tournament, and surprisingly Tulane won't be one of them.
W
AG
I see SELU at #27 in the RPI. But with a 6-5 record vs. the top 50, not sure they would be a #2 seed. Seems like that would be an easier #2 for LSU as opposed to Baylor, Houston, or t.u.

as for #36 McNeese...with a 4-9 mark vs. the top 50 and just 6-14 vs. the top 100...the Cowboys are flirting with the bubble for an at-large spot if they don't win the Southland tournament. SELU won the head-to-head series so I think the Lions would get in first. Would be surprised if the Southland is a 3-bid league
W
AG
the Sun Belt is another interesting conference with:

#36 South Alabama
#48 Coastal Carolina
#51 Lafayette

Coastal is the regular season champ, but is only 2-8 vs. the top 50. ULL has a very good top 50 mark at 10-8 plus a series win over #10 Southern Miss. Not sure there will be room for all three teams if there is an upset winner of the Sun Belt tournament
jkag89
Sunday Top 25 Scores
Washington St. 3 - #1 Oregon St. 14
Hawaii - #9 Long Beach St. 2
Washington 5 - #11 Stanford 6 (10 innings)
#14 Fullerton 4 - CS Northridge 8

List of teams that have earned their conference automatic bid
Bethune-Cookman - Mid-Eastern
Holy Cross - Patriot League
Oregon St. - Pac-12
Texas Southern - SWAC
Yale - Ivy League

W
AG
too bad the Ags aren't hosting. Would love to see the TSU Tigers come back to Blue Bell.

TSU making the field...along with Houston...provides the committee with a couple of "bus" teams to fill the Fort Worth regional
W
AG
how about Oregon State...a sparkling 45-4 overall record. And the Beavers only played 23 home games.

Corvallis is the kiss of death regional. Nobody wants to go there. Will be interesting to see who draws the short straw so to speak. It could very well be a team from Texas
jkag89
Oregon St. simply boat raced the rest of the Pac-12. They've already finished their conference slate with a 27-3 mark. If Stanford sweeps their final series against Washington St . they will still finish six full games behind the Beavers.

OSU finishes their regular season with four games against Abilene Christian, I wonder if they are worried about these games being RPI killers?
twk
AG
Coming back around to where all this might leave the Aggies travelling for the regional.

We can't go to UF, UK, LSU, or Ark.

There appears to be no need to send us UNC, Louisville, Clemson, Southern Miss, Wake Forest, or Virginia, as there should be local options to fill the 2 (or 3) seeds.

That leaves, Oregon State, Tech, TCU, Stanford, Arizona, and Long Beach as possibilities.

I don't think we'll go to TCU because of the committee's prior stated preference to avoid rematches three years running. It's not impossible, but it would take a really compelling travel situation for it to happen. Lubbock would be a natural, even though it's just beyond bus range, but I guess once you get on a plane, it doesn't make much difference whether its Lubbock, Tuscon, or Corvallis. Still, the NCAA does seem to like storylines, and rematching two old conference foes is the kind of storyline that the committee usually can't pass up.
W
AG
twk said:

Coming back around to where all this might leave the Aggies travelling for the regional.

We can't go to UF, UK, LSU, or Ark.

There appears to be no need to send us UNC, Louisville, Clemson, Southern Miss, Wake Forest, or Virginia, as there should be local options to fill the 2 (or 3) seeds.

That leaves, Oregon State, Tech, TCU, Stanford, Arizona, and Long Beach as possibilities.
I would agree that Lubbock looks like the front runner among those 6 regionals...in part because Baylor and t.u. are likely going west too...and of course neither can be sent to Lubbock or Fort Worth. Plus there is a decent possibility that LSU will have an all-Louisiana regional. If that turns out to be the case, then Baylor and t.u. to a west coast regional seems like a lock
W
AG
three teams that could impact A&M's placement or even be the Ags' first game opponent:

#39 Fullerton --- the Titans (33-19) close the season at home vs. Long Beach. If UCF wins that series, they should be a lock for a #2 seed. Probably at Stanford, but maybe Lubbock or Arizona.

#50 UCLA --- the Bruins at 17-10 in the Pac-12 should make the field. And would seem bound for Long Beach's regional. Probably as the #3 seed.

#64 New Mexico --- the Lobos (29-25) were in the top 50 for quite a while and then hit the skids. They managed to win the MWC regular season title, but now need to win the tournament to make the field. Not sure if NM would be the #3 or #4 seed in Lubbock
W
AG
back to Oregon State...the Beavers have only played 2 games vs. top 200 opponents, so they get a pass for a 4-game set vs. woeful ACU.

where OSU hit the jackpot this season was scheduling 3 B1G opponents (for 6 games total) and having 2 of them turn out to be good teams: #28 Indiana and #42 Nebraska. Both had made regionals at least twice in the last 3 years. And all of those games were played at neutral sites.

------
one bubble impact...#34 McNeese played a 3-game set vs. ACU earlier in the year. The Wildcats taking another 4 losses this weekend certainly won't help McNeese move up the RPI
BQ_90
AG
well the question is do they fly you into Lubbock or do you fly you in to DFW then bus?

if they do that they might say it's not worth it for the Ags and ship them out west.

I guess I've had the feeling we where going west for most to the year so I'm still clinging to that.
Goose06
AG
BQ_90 said:

well the question is do they fly you into Lubbock or do you fly you in to DFW then bus?

if they do that they might say it's not worth it for the Ags and ship them out west.

I guess I've had the feeling we where going west for most to the year so I'm still clinging to that.
We would charter a plane and fly into Lubbock.
twk
AG
Goose06 said:

BQ_90 said:

NCAA picks up travel costs for the tournament, so we might fly commercial where we would otherwise charter.
Goose06
AG
twk said:

Goose06 said:

BQ_90 said:

NCAA picks up travel costs for the tournament, so we might fly commercial where we would otherwise charter.
Fair enough. We still wouldn't bus from DFW. United and American fly to Lubbock from Houston and Dallas, respectively.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.