UF softball coach and auburn player in a little tussle

8,831 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wareagle044
Ags #1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is some history between the auburn player's family and the coach. Gotta think the coach is going to be suspsensed

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/19019560/tim-walton-florida-gators-haley-***an-auburn-tigers-get-postgame-tussle?addata=espn:frontpage
Gateman
AG
All I see is a player with a bad attitude.
Wooahhhh
AG
Go back and find out why the kids were kicked off the UF team. The rumors which were really strong when it happened, were ugly. The father is a "well respected" (?) sb coach here in the travel ball, HS and Jr. College community, because he had 3 great daughters playing ball, but an idiot nonetheless.

I don't think Walton will get suspended. What he did was wrong, but he should have just ignored it. I would guess Walton will say he was just going down the line and the hand disappeared or something like that.
Iowaggie
AG
I don't doubt that there is some possible issues with the ***an family, but why as a coach would you lay your hand on that girl's shoulder and push her? Even if it was a male coach to another team's baseball player, it looks bad. The fact that it is a male coach to a softball player...the optics of this look really bad.

Maybe she's a lot immature to pull the hand down, but his best move now is to apologize.
Schrute
Look at me! I'm gonna be a little B and not shake hands with the opposing coach. You know, because how I feel is so much more important than how I represent my school and my team.
W
AG
gotta be a little careful on the, um, pot-calling-the-kettle-black...after recent events
Wooahhhh
AG
and this kid wasn't on the team with her sisters when it happened. she's just making a scene to draw ATTENTION to herself and family.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
Looks like he gave her a high five to the shoulder as she put her hand down... big deal
Tex100
AG
Player chose not to shake hands with coach fore personal reasons. Coach should have respected that.
Mike Elko
AG
They both look like crybabies/drama queens. Coach will get suspended at least one game for his deliberate action of nudging her shoulder. You just can't do that as a coach.
ftworthag02
AG
She's just butt hurt that they lost the series to Florida and her sisters were kicked off the team. Grow some balls
BQ_90
AG
this made ESPN, this is so much to do about nothing. Even for ESPN-W
Belton Ag
AG
This isn't a "big deal" but that coach shouldn't have touched the player at all. There's no way that wasn't intentional, even if it wasn't a hit or shove.
TXAggie2011
AG
I don't really really think it's a big deal, but the coach should not have laid a finger on her.
Aggie
AG
I don't see it as the coach doing anything wrong.. I don't know their history and honestly couldn't care less to look it up.
But just watching that video I don't see anything wrong on coaches part... He was going in for high five.. Guess they do that in softball and player pulled away and he nudged her shoulder... Not a big deal.
If coach is reprimanded for that then next thing they will be outlawing the post game hand shake or high five because they don't want coaches touching players.
All I see is a " look at me " "look at me" player
CoachLB
A coach should never put his hands on any player. But to put his hands on someone else's player is really stupid. It is amazing one of the Auburn coaches didn't get involved after a coach put his hands on one of their players. No matter what she did he is the adult. If she didn't want to shake hands he should have just walked by her. She was acting like a spoiled brat and he just lowered himself to the same level.
Ghost91
Aaaaaaand as predicted, the UF coach apologized.

Unnecessary apology for non-event

Weird "apology", though. In it, he says what anyone with an ounce of sense could clearly see in the video - he went to high-five her, she didn't have her hand up, so he "high-fived" her shoulder instead. Not a push. Not a shove. Nothing even close to that. It was a high-five on the shoulder.

He finished the high-five on her shoulder since no hand was available. Why apologize for that?

Either apologize for shoving her, if that's what you did, OR don't apologize and explain that you were high-fiving her shoulder since there was no hand there to high-five. Why do a weird combination of "here's what I was actually doing which wasn't a shove or anything that crossed the line or deserves an apology, but let me apologize anyway"?? (Answer: political correctness, safe spaces, and sissy culture).
waco_aggie05
AG
She didn't high five the coach in front of him either. That coach just walked on by. Plus, he was quick to turn around and escalate it when she gives him a shove back.

I don't think he should be disciplined by the school, but he was not very professional in that situation.
Bunk Moreland
Nagannalie...I had to rewind it a few times to see it cause I kept getting distracted by those Auburn hotties further back in the line.
MaroonStain
AG
Dra. Ma....
AnalogyAg
stupid petulant first world problems. im surprised theyre not complaining tbat he punched the next player in the back right after her. jeez.

i do like the way the auburn coach "no commented". that was a good move- he'd lose no matter which way he came down on things.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That seems like overkill. This whole thing looks drastically overblown. Doesn't help that ESPN is calling what they both did a shove though. Barely qualified as a tap on the shoulder in either case.
Rocco S
Let's look at the facts.

She simply put her hand down. She didn't want to shake hands. She didn't draw any attention to herself at all. The coach pushed her. That's not a sportsmanship nudge or whatever else. The coach was offended and pushed her. It was intentional, as evidenced by his reaction to him being pushed back. The UF coach, not the player, escalated the situation and made a scene out of it.

This is 2017. This isn't 1950, where putting your hands on women in that manner is still ok.

What I see is a coach that's a jerk with an out of control ego that needs to be put in check.

Unfortunately, some can't see past the antiquated notion that one is a coach and one is a player so the player must be wrong. These are the same people that probably think Paterno was innocent. If you bother to do 1 minute of research you can see why she might have a problem with that coach, and she's completely within her right to not shake hands with him, just like most people on this board wouldn't shake hands with certain people.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Don't think it's this vast egregious thing you're making it out to be and that post certainly doesn't go to the level of disgusting and ignorant.
Rocco S
Well I'm entitled to my opinion and I think he's seeing what he wants to in order to ok what happened makes it disgusting and the tone of the post is ignorant. He even stated he didn't care what her reasoning was. All she did was put her hand down, politely declining to high five the coach, and his out of control ego caused him to push her.
TXAggie2011
AG
Lucky #007 said:

Don't think it's this vast egregious thing you're making it out to be and that post certainly doesn't go to the level of disgusting and ignorant.

At the same time, the parade of horribles in that post about outlawing high fives is over the top and rather silly and blowing this out of proportion, too.

I think some people are looking for a reason to be mad at the coach, others certainly seem to be looking for reasons to be mad at the player, the media, etc.
BTKAG97
AG
Did not look intentional by the coach. He wasn't even looking at the player.

Wildmen03
AG
I came into this thread expecting to blow off the incident. But after watching the video it looked like the coach put enough force behind it to push the girl out of the way. A high five would have been a tap on the shoulder but this looked like a small shove to me.

Maybe she flopped after the contact, who knows. Still looks bad.
dallasiteinsa02
All I see is the blonde Auburn player.
TempleAg97
AG
Coach did nothing wrong. Player looks like a little B with an attitude from that clip.
oragator
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/03/auburn_softball_associate_head.html

Auburn' s week is getting weirder.
MallalieuAg
AG
She was being a *****. They don't teach sportsmanship at auburn? Maybe the coach should have let it go but at least he got her attention for her being an *******. But I don't know their history.
zagman
AG
The Florida coach should be suspended. You never touch or push a player especially going through a post game line.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
mdanyc03
AG
Rocco S said:

This is 2017. This isn't 1950, where putting your hands on women in that manner is still ok.

So you are somehow equating that event with actual violence against women. That is a problem. It desensitizes people to the notion and is demeaning to the millions of women around the world who are actual victims of violence and who live in constant fear.

What the coach did was a little dumb but you are somehow tying this to completely unrelated issues.

***an can apparently handle herself just fine in this case and nobody really needs your moralistic ranting
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Their history is he kicked her sisters off the Florida softball team for some reason. Looked it up and the exact reasons don't really seem to be out there. Just allusions to possible locker room issues.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.