If we are done- how do you grade the portal haul?

26,681 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Method Man
Leonard H. Stringfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ARK has 3 5* kids committed. What do they have that we don't?

Ala has 2...
Farsight Institute, Atlanta, GA
MarcAg
AG
Leonard H. Stringfield said:

Ala has 2...

What does Arkansas basketball have that A&M basketball doesn't? How much time do you got? It's a long ****ing list.
Leonard H. Stringfield
MarcAg said:

Ala has 2...

What does Arkansas basketball have that A&M basketball doesn't? How much time do you got? It's a long ****ing list.
Let's hear it? Ark and bama..
Method Man
Arkansas has a fat better history
Arkansas has a 5 million dollar NIL
Arkansas has a head coach who has a proven track record of getting kids into the NBA and can point to multiple high level players doing well in the league

Double Diamond
Solid job.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
The answer is a solid "B"
bobinator
AG
"What does Arkansas have that we don't" is one of the wilder things I've seen on here in a bit.

They were outrecruiting us when they had a psychopath who's only a pretty good coach as head coach, and now they have John Calipari.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

"What does Arkansas have that we don't" is one of the wilder things I've seen on here in a bit.

I invite you to browse the poster's history and then make this same claim
Method Man
Is he nuts or a troll?
bobinator
AG
I will absolutely do no such thing.
The Marksman
AG
Method Man said:

Is he nuts or a troll?
Nuts
dcg4403
AG
Definitely would not give Buzz a B+. Personally think it is a C-.

I am frustrated in Buzz's ability to recruit to be honest. Hard to believe we dont have a decent NIL fund available to Buzz. To me, and I dont follow hoops recruiting nearly as closely as football, Buzz can't seem to land the big name players that would propel his teams to the next level.

I am just off?

I love Buzz but unless something changes within recruiting, I feel his days are limited and what we see as as good as it will get.
AgEfan
We landed two guys in the portal that will start for us. We landed possibly one of the best high school players this school has landed in a long time. People get caught up way too much in the rankings.

And yeah our NIL game is not competitive right now with the teams we are competing with.
DR.ZAP
AG
dcg4403 said:

Definitely would not give Buzz a B+. Personally think it is a C-.

I am frustrated in Buzz's ability to recruit to be honest. Hard to believe we dont have a decent NIL fund available to Buzz. To me, and I dont follow hoops recruiting nearly as closely as football, Buzz can't seem to land the big name players that would propel his teams to the next level.

I am just off?

I love Buzz but unless something changes within recruiting, I feel his days are limited and what we see as as good as it will get.
I'd like to believe what we are seeing is Buzz acclimating to the new recruiting landscape. 'Big name' basketball recruits only get you so far (re: Calipari) in the current state of NCAA basketball. HS recruiting will never be unimportant, but the portal is clearly yielding more of a delta for teams in need of production than the incoming HS players.

How he develops and utilizes these guys will be the real story...
Aldo the Apache
AG
For the 1000th time, our NIL is not at the level of the other serious SEC programs. If anything, people should be lauding Buzz for doing more with less.
bobinator
AG
I think it's important to note that it's not just NIL. We've never consistently recruited at a high level in hoops. We've put together a few legit good classes and occasionally we'll land a truly high profile guy, but we never have recruited like the elite programs. We're not just suddenly going to start now.

But yeah, like others are pointing out, that's okay. There's a lot of ways to put a good team on the floor in hoops, and I really like this group that Buzz has put together for next year so far. We've brought in guys that can replace Boots' production and improve our backcourt depth and flexibility and a big man that's light year's better offensively than anyone we had last year. And the two high school pieces look promising, but we should have the depth that we're not relying on them to be contributors right away.

The problem with Buzz's recruiting was last year. We did not bring in pieces better than we lost and then add the Marble loss on top of that and last year's roster wasn't where it needed to be. Still pretty good and we had a good season, but could have been better.
Method Man
NIL money was just cheating money before NIL. It's the same pool imo and that's why we didn't kill it in recruiting. You need a snake oil salesman to get donors going.
AgEfan
Method Man said:

NIL money was just cheating money before NIL. It's the same pool imo and that's why we didn't kill it in recruiting. You need a snake oil salesman to get donors going.

I disagree with this a bit. It might be the same pool for us, but I don't think it's the same pool for many schools.

I know what you are trying to say is that people have always been paid and the schools that paid the most illegally, are mostly the ones paying the most legally now. But I think it's a little different and not the same pool. Before it was a very small group of people pitching in. Now with it being legal you have more donors pitching in. Many probably had no clue before how to pitch in illegally if they even wanted to help us get players. And they probably were like; "Buddy your $2,000 isn't going to help us". But now you get 500 people giving $2,000 plus the guys who were always pitching in before then things change. And I'm just giving examples, I'm not saying we can find 500 Aggies to pitch in $2,000 for basketball on top of the big time donors.
bobinator
AG
It's not exactly the same pool but I think what Method is saying is the end result is basically the same. For the most part, the schools that were killing it before are killing it now and schools that were fighting for second tier players are still fighting for second tier players.
Leonard H. Stringfield
Is the class indicative of a program aspiring to win championships?

Leonard H. Stringfield
Method Man said:

Arkansas has a fat better history
Arkansas has a 5 million dollar NIL
Arkansas has a head coach who has a proven track record of getting kids into the NBA and can point to multiple high level players doing well in the league

See it wasn't all that difficult. Thanks for spelling it out. Appreciate it. Don't know why a simple question resulted in so much angst. I knew their program may have had a more glamorous past....the triplets etc. but was unaware of the other points.
AgEfan

Every programs is aspirating to win championships and trying to get the best players they feel can help them win it. It might not be realistic for most, but they are aspiring to do it. Nobody is aspiring to be middle of the road.
The Marksman
AG

No Buzz definitely went out into the portal looking for players he thought couldn't help us win
Method Man

Absolutely reasonable question. Why isn't a school with very few big donors and relatively few fans that care about the sport striving for championships!?!
Complete Idiot
AgEfan said:

Every programs is aspirating to win championships and trying to get the best players they feel can help them win it. It might not be realistic for most, but they are aspiring to do it. Nobody is aspiring to be middle of the road.
Aspirating?????
Leonard H. Stringfield
Method Man said:

Absolutely reasonable question. Why isn't a school with very few big donors and relatively few fans that care about the sport striving for championships!?!
How does the ath dept navigate this when the clear goal is to win championships? What is the plan?
AgEfan
Complete Idiot said:

AgEfan said:

Aspirating?????

I'm getting old and my phone hates me. I think I fat finger things and as a result probably not close to spelling real words and so my phone is just guessing to try to keep up and I'm too lazy and blind to check what it's changed words too.
Complete Idiot
There has been seasons where I feel the program is aspirating, I get it.
Aggie0956732
That's a detailed breakdown of the portal haul! It's great to see your analysis and thoughts on Payne, Phelps, and Wilcher. It sounds like you're optimistic about the new additions to the team. Exciting times ahead for Aggie basketball!
TopoTacos
AG
I think it's a solid B, mainly because Phelps is just a 1-year rental and we're gearing up for so much turnover next year.

Aside from that, Payne and especially Phelps should be in contention to start right away, so it'll be interesting to see how Buzz manages the minutes. Wade is a given, but Manny/Solo/Andy all proved they deserve starter runs down the stretch, so who do you bring off the bench? My prediction would be Wade-Phelps-Manny-Solo-Andy and we run a small ball focus. I just don't see how you can't start the best rebounder in the sport, but I suppose that's what camp is for.

If Mills is able to contribute early, all the better.
Pumpkinhead
AG

Calipari who is the college recruiting GOAT and a big time basketball fan base.
Pumpkinhead
AG

Method Man said:

How does the ath dept navigate this when the clear goal is to win championships? What is the plan?

It seems likely that we will make the NCAAT for a third straight season next year.

Is making the NCAA Tournament every year now considered a failed program state by some fans here?

Leonard H. Stringfield
Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

It seems likely that we will make the NCAAT for a third straight season next year.

Is making the NCAA Tournament every year now considered a failed program state by some fans here?

The stated goals of the athletic dept is the win championships. I'd like to see that.
AggieCrew44
AG

Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

The stated goals of the athletic dept is the win championships. I'd like to see that.
That is also the stated goal for the other 300+ D1 programs lol. Doesn't make it realistic
Pumpkinhead
AG

Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

That is the stated goal of every AD in the country.

If you are hired as AD, what concrete steps will you take to get us to Final Four in next few years? You'll immediately divert football NIL to basketball against those donors wishes to build a $10 million roster?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.