Rob Lanier firing?

2,788 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by agent-maroon
ny_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know not A&M related, but anyone know why he was fired at SMU? On paper it seems he had a great second year, and will only get better. Does he not want to be in the ACC? Or does SMU think they can do better?
bobinator
AG
I'm assuming they think they've already lined up someone better
Schrute Farms
Does their move to the ACC impact their coaching prospects?
bobinator
AG
Of course it does, but I imagine prospective coaches are going to want to have pretty good idea about their financial situation from an NIL/support standpoint.

Already seen Will Wade floated on twitter.
LawHall88
AG
bobinator said:

Of course it does, but I imagine prospective coaches are going to want to have pretty good idea about their financial situation from an NIL/support standpoint.

And Eric Musselman.
bobinator
AG
Yeah… I dunno if I'm buying that one but who knows with that guy.
mikesyracuse1
bobinator said:

He's going to be floated all over the place! I'm not a fan, but he's going to continue to get players whenever and wherever he lands next.

Mikesyracuse1
bobinator
AG
No doubt his agent is out there hustling but SMU actually makes sense to me though.
Muy
AG
Coaching basketball at SMU would be awesome and as good of a private school free education they can offer as well as a beautiful campus and great college arena in the heart of a vibrant city, it's shocking they haven't built a great program.
Kellso
Muy said:

Coaching basketball at SMU would be awesome and as good of a private school free education they can offer as well as a beautiful campus and great college arena in the heart of a vibrant city, it's shocking they haven't built a great program.
Its not really that shocking. SMU hasn't been good at sports for nearly 40 years.
Doak
ny_aggie said:

I know not A&M related, but anyone know why he was fired at SMU? On paper it seems he had a great second year, and will only get better. Does he not want to be in the ACC? Or does SMU think they can do better?
You know very quickly why he got fired if you watch 2 or 3 games this year. Sure he improved the win total...but they didn't beat a single team inside the top 75 NET and choked away atleast 10 double digit leads. Including the last game in the NIT. Up 17 against #1 overall seed and choked it all away...this time for the last time thankfully.

SMU fans were ready to move on last season. He doesn't recruit and the X's and O's is like watching paint dry. As boring as it gets.

It was time for a change especially going into the ACC. This was a bad hire to begin with. SMU is way too capable of producing great basketball teams and consistently filling Moody Coliseum just as they did with Larry Brown. Moody is a serious threat when it's full and rocking and there is plenty of talent in the DFW area to recruit well.

They've been wanting Musselman for a few years now. I would be surprised if it doesn't happen this go around especially with his ties to Dallas and all that distraction in Arkansas.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Doak said:

ny_aggie said:

You know very quickly why he got fired if you watch 2 or 3 games this year. Sure he improved the win total...but they didn't beat a single team inside the top 75 NET and choked away atleast 10 double digit leads. Including the last game in the NIT. Up 17 against #1 overall seed and choked it all away...this time for the last time thankfully.

SMU fans were ready to move on last season. He doesn't recruit and the X's and O's is like watching paint dry. As boring as it gets.

It was time for a change especially going into the ACC. This was a bad hire to begin with. SMU is way too capable of producing great basketball teams and consistently filling Moody Coliseum just as they did with Larry Brown. Moody is a serious threat when it's full and rocking and there is plenty of talent in the DFW area to recruit well.

They've been wanting Musselman for a few years now. I would be surprised if it doesn't happen this go around especially with his ties to Dallas and all that distraction in Arkansas.
What are Mussleman's ties to Dallas, and is Arkansas really at odds with him when he's three years removed from an Elite 8, two years from another Elite 8, and one year from a Sweet 16? I understand SMU has all the money in the world, but this move would be pretty surprising to me...maybe the thought of coaching in the ACC appeals to him?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Musselman makes $4.2 and has a $1m buyout. If Ark wants to let him go, they may waive the buyout but SMU would still have to pay him roughly that same amount to entice him. No idea what Lanier was making, but I highly doubt it was very far north of $1.5. That's a HUGE difference and would mean the basketball coach is almost certainly making more than the football coach.

I don't see that happening. But...who knows.
AgDad121619
AG
"all that distraction in Arkansas."
AgDad121619
AG
SMU is paying to join ACC which is likely to lose all of its football powers. They are going to be right back in a G5 conference
hogfan14
Ervin Burrell said:

Doak said:

ny_aggie said:

What are Mussleman's ties to Dallas, and is Arkansas really at odds with him when he's three years removed from an Elite 8, two years from another Elite 8, and one year from a Sweet 16? I understand SMU has all the money in the world, but this move would be pretty surprising to me...maybe the thought of coaching in the ACC appeals to him?

Rumors are SMU is promising him more control over NIL than he has at Arkansas, which is a big deal to him. Apparently Muss has started to rub some boosters the wrong way and he and the AD also don't speak much (also over NIL disagreements). He's had an extension offer on the table but hasn't signed it.
LawHall88
AG
We don't have a coaching carousel post yet, so I'll just put this here:
JJxvi
AG
F. Take a seat.

https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/3445770
LawHall88
AG
Whoops. I'll take the F.
TyHolden
AG
LawHall88 said:

bobinator said:

And Eric Musselman.
this
agent-maroon
AG
Kellso said:

Muy said:

Its not really that shocking. SMU hasn't been good at sports for nearly 40 years.
And that was only because SMU was cheating their asses off. They very much deserved the death penalty.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.