defensive tweak

2,163 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by PatAg
Redfishag93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can we make a defensive tweak that seems like it might help vs Nebraska?

Let's not double every post touch. sounds like their big man shoots more 3s than he posts up so maybe he's not a great post up threat? hopefully.

Every time we bring a guy to the baseline to double the post it leaves us vulnerable to backside skip passes and a numbers advantage for our opponents. This puts us into these long close outs and often leads to open 3s once they rotate the ball a few times. This scares me with Nebraska's apparent shooting ability.

Garcia is pretty good at walling up and holding his ground against bigger/stronger guys anyway. I bet he'd do fine. Solo is a great defender.

Having said all of this, do I think Buzz will allow one on one post defense? doubtful.
bobinator
AG
I doubt we make much of a system tweak but I think you'll see a personnel one. Because of how they play offense and because we don't have post scorers anyway I bet we don't even bother trying to play a big lineup in this game.

I'd go ahead and just start Garcia instead of Leveque.

But the system is the system. We want to cut off easy shots at the basket and we don't want to foul. Nebraska wants to shoot a lot of threes, we're going to let them. As long as they're not hitting them at a higher-than-usual clip and as long as we're getting the rebounds I doubt we change much on the scheme side.
Rocinante
Does Nebraska even feed the ball to the post on any regular basis? I haven't watched them but my sense on limited highlights and what I've read is that they are more high pnr.
GrayMatter
AG
They play 5 out from what I remember reading about them.

All 5 have the green light to shoot from deep, and don't really utilize a typical low post offense.
Sterling82
bobinator said:

I doubt we make much of a system tweak but I think you'll see a personnel one. Because of how they play offense and because we don't have post scorers anyway I bet we don't even bother trying to play a big lineup in this game.

I'd go ahead and just start Garcia instead of Leveque.

But the system is the system. We want to cut off easy shots at the basket and we don't want to foul. Nebraska wants to shoot a lot of threes, we're going to let them. As long as they're not hitting them at a higher-than-usual clip and as long as we're getting the rebounds I doubt we change much on the scheme side.

Probably right but I think OP has a point. I might also be inclined to leave one man in the post to defend / block dribble penetrations (maybe Solo if he can stay out of foul trouble) but generally give up the 2 if we must to prevent a barrage of 3s. Obviously, I'm not a savant of basketball strategy but I hate it when we go from down one to down double digits in the course of a minute due to consecutive 3 pointers.
bingram1230
AG
If they play 5 out then you absolutely can't let them dribble drive or cut to the rim. Them passing around perimeter only is great for us, if the guards can get into paint (see penn state big guard last year) then we are in trouble with trying collapse and then rotate out.

That is the key to the game in my opinion
Redfishag93
I've seen highlights with their big white guy backing the ball down with dribbles in the post using a few different moves.

He also leads the team in assists, which is rare for a 6'10" guy, so that tells me he's prolly a good passer.

Looking at their 3 point percentages (7 of their top 8 scorers shoot 34% or better from 3) Im afraid they might start bombing in a bunch of 3s.

We prolly won't make this adjustment because, as someone said, this is what we do. Hopefully we fly around on defense and make those shooters uncomfortable.
bobinator
AG
If they shoot near their average though I'm sure we'll live with it.

Im confident we're not going to change our identity all of a sudden to play Nebraska if we didn't change it to play Kentucky.
halfastros81
AG
Totally agree. I mean if they are killing you on rotations on the baseline doubles then you may have to adjust something but make them prove it.
txag72
AG
Living in the '70's……..I hate the 3 point shot. Play basketball.
Houstonag
AG
I have no confidence in Buzz defending the three.
GrayMatter
AG
Houstonag said:

I have no confidence in Buzz defending the three.

Well we're lucky that Buzz doesn't have to defend the 3.
Houstonag
AG
You are showing your " gray"
PatAg
AG
bingram1230 said:

If they play 5 out then you absolutely can't let them dribble drive or cut to the rim. Them passing around perimeter only is great for us, if the guards can get into paint (see penn state big guard last year) then we are in trouble with trying collapse and then rotate out.

That is the key to the game in my opinion
Does Nebraska have a player that is on par with that one Penn State guy from last year?
Felt like they just iso'd him constantly, and he could get anywhere he wanted off the dribble and that just led to everything that went wrong for us.
halfastros81
AG
The answer is they don't but I think you already knew that and your question was rhetorical.
bingram1230
AG
I guess the answer was no lol. That was a great game offensively and we did good making life difficult for #30
PatAg
AG
halfastros81 said:

The answer is they don't but I think you already knew that and your question was rhetorical.
I actually didn't, I didnt follow Big10 really at all this year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.