Aggie Men's Basketball Program is a Complete Joke Now

5,915 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by GE
Bassinagfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll hear no more about Buzz being a basketball savant, he's a BS Artist just like Jimbo was. His teams are mentally weak and can't win on the road.

Bye Buzz
Leander - Ag
AG
Culture
Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
Bassinagfan said:

I'll hear no more about Buzz being a basketball savant, he's a BS Artist just like Jimbo was. His teams are mentally weak and can't win on the road.

Bye Buzz

Don't forget home.
"You can't grade the success of a CEO by how likeable he is."
SECTAMU#1
I'm afraid this team's best games are behind them. They do not run an offense, they can't make shots or free throws. The only thing they are really good at is offensive rebounding (mainly Garcia).
DukeMu
SECTAMU#1 said:

I'm afraid this team's best games are behind them. They do not run an offense, they can't make shots or free throws. The only thing they are really good at is offensive rebounding (mainly Garcia).

This. Also we do is create chaos and hope it works.

We outrebounded Arky, had fewer TOs. We couldn't hit a layup or a FT.
JJxvi
AG
We aren't "a joke" we just arent where we want to be and not currently seeing progress. There are way worse places to be. Look at Missouri for example. That is a basketball school and even schools like A&M have been running rings around them for decades as they hire and fire every stripe of coach imaginable.
StinkyPinky
AG
Bassinagfan said:

Bye Buzz

Hell, they can't win at home
NoahAg
"Now?"
Historically we're a joke.
Proposition Joe
JJxvi said:

We aren't "a joke" we just arent where we want to be and not currently seeing progress. There are way worse places to be. Look at Missouri for example. That is a basketball school and even schools like A&M have been running rings around them for decades as they hire and fire every stripe of coach imaginable.

Missouri was a 7 seed last year and won a game.

They were a 9 seed in 2021.

They certainly haven't been up to Mizzou standards of old, but we're running rings around them?
ryange05
AG
We are the rich Cal State Fullerton of sports. Baseball only.
fieldtrailer
AG
Disagree with mentally weak. They play hard. Just not enough talent. Including themselves.
BQ_90
AG
ryange05 said:

We are the rich Cal State Fullerton of sports. Baseball only.
umm they have won titles, we haven't
JJxvi
AG
Proposition Joe said:

JJxvi said:

They certainly haven't been up to Mizzou standards of old, but we're running rings around them?

In case you haven't noticed, Missouri is well on its way to finishing 0-18 in the SEC (and they have as many seasons finishing dead-ass last in the SEC as they do winning seasons, with dead-ass last looking to take the lead).

Yeah totally not a joke for that program. Oh my, they made the Tournament twice? What a proud achievement. Missouri has won 5 NCAA Tournament games in like 20 years while we (hardly movers and shakers in this sport) have won ten of them in the same period.

You wanna trade with them? What a weird white knight post for them.
Texas A&M
But don't worry, he's a motivator.

cutter
Our "fans" are a joke, but our basketball team is just average power conference team. But infuriatingly average in that we can win against top teams and lose to bottom teams.
JJxvi
AG
Proposition Joe said:

JJxvi said:

6 people starred this? Wow.
Proposition Joe
JJxvi said:

Proposition Joe said:

JJxvi said:

6 people starred this? Wow.

A few people even starred your post saying that Sweet 16 isn't an accomplishment and that we should take our cue from other fanbases on the type of coach we deserve.
JJxvi
AG
I only brought up other fanbases because it doesn't seem that some people here really follow what goes on in the rest of college basketball beyond where it touches us here.

Then a bunch of people starred your post, which seems to indicate to me that not only do they think our program is a "complete joke" but some also think that Missouri is doing just fine, or even that Missouri is doing just as well as us, and the only thing I can think is that people must genuinely have no clue what Missouri's record in hoops is over the past 20 years, especially in the SEC. I'm still not sure why you defended them, really, either.

Even ignoring all the rest, being 0-12 so far this year, etc... The idea that I infer from your post is that Missouri had as good of a season last year as we did under Buzz, because they got a 7 seed like we did and won one game in the Tournament.

I really don't think anybody here would be crowing about winning a game in the first round last year as a 7 seed if our place were reversed with Missouri. People would still be talking about Buzz losing to a 15 seed. If that was us, it would all that anybody would be posting about last year. I assume everybody that starred your post also doesn't remember that little fact from Missouri's NCAA appearance last year, since you didn't mention it.
greg.w.h
AG
The complete joke is the fan shared control issues…
Proposition Joe
I think ultimately you are hyper-critical at anyone have any kind of expectations for the program and are quick dismiss them as "no-nothing fans" that have unrealistic expectations or are unaware of what teams are doing on the national level.

When in fact it's you that seem to be unaware. Again, 83% of major conference coaches produces an at-large caliber team at least once every 5 years. That's not just Duke and Kentucky... That's your Penn State and Ole Miss.

You're quick to dismiss tournament achievements... "Sweet 16 is not an accomplishment"... 'Missouri as a 7 seed winning a game then losing to a 15 seed is just as bad as getting blown out first round as a 7 seed'. Even trying to claim that the 2022 team was basically a tournament team like we're playing some grade school fantasy land where things that 100% did not happen actually happened.

Yet it's the rest of the nation that disagrees with you. A team is judged by how often they make the tournament and what they do in the tournament. Do you see any banners in Reed for "2nd place in the SEC"? What about "most conference wins over a 2 year span".

Know what banners are flying? Tournament appearances.

If you want to say conference performance year-in, year-out is more important than luck-of-the-draw tournament games outcome? Fine.

But to try and do so with a coach that hasn't actually won his conference? And isn't actually even making the tournament?

There's just no more legs to stand on anymore.
Muy
AG
I'll miss Wade, Garcia, and somewhat Boots, but other than that I'm ready for an entire roster turnover. This crew has had their chances.
JJxvi
AG
The quality of a basketball team ranges the whole gamut from really awful, to truly exceptional and everything in between. My issue, and Ive explained it repeatedly, is that your way acts like making the Tournament as the 30th at large team is okay, but being the 38th team that gets left out is a disaster and might as well be the same as actually sucking. We are not an awful team right now, we were not one last year, or even the year before that.

As kind of a numbers geek, I'm not sure there is any possible way that the 85% factoid (which includes Buzz, he did make the tournament, so what percentage make it twice in 5 years would seem to be a more rational factoid), so I plan to check on it. It'd be interesting.
Aston04
AG
Texas A&M said:

But don't worry, he's a motivator.

the same coach that doesn't care about a&m being out there for the national anthem post blm? Snake oil indeed.
JJxvi
AG
I identified 97 coaches who were hired by major conference programs between 2010-2019.

68% of them made an NCAA Tournament for the school that hired them within 5 years (not 83%). Only 34% of them qualified for multiple NCAA Tournaments.

The ones with multiple trips to NCAA's are:
Nate Oats, Alabama
Eric Musselman, Arkansas
Juwon Howard, Michigan
Mick Cronin, UCLA
Mike Young, Virginia Tech
Dan Hurley, Uconn
Brad Underwood, Illinois
Will Wade, LSU
Cuonzo Martin, Missouri
Chris Holtmann, Ohio State
Chris Beard, Texas Tech
Greg Gard, Wisconsin
Bobby Hurley, Arizona State
Chris Holtmann, Butler
Mike White, Florida
Steve Prohm, Iowa State
Rick Barnes, Tennessee
Shaka Smart, Texas
Bruce Pearl, Auburn
Steve Wojciechowski, Marquette
Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech
Kevin Ollie, UConn
Steve Alford, UCLA
Andy Enfield, USC
Bruce Weber, Kansas State
Mark Turgeon, Maryland
Jim Larranaga, Miami
Frank Haith, Missouri
Lon Kruger, Oklahoma
Ed Cooley, Providence
Tad Boyle, Colorado
Fran McCaffrey, Iowa
Fred Hoiberg, Iowa State
Dana Altman, Oregon
Steve Lavin, St Johns
Buzz Williams, Texas A&M???

One trip only:
Buzz Williams, Texas A&M???
Chris Mack, Louisville
Kermit Davis, Ole Miss
Jeff Capel, Pittsburgh
LaVall Jordan, Butler
Patrick Ewing, Georgetown
Kevin Keatts, NC State
Mike Boyton, Oklahoma State
Mike Hopkins, Washington
Josh Pastner, Georgia Tech
Steve Pikiell, Rutgers
Jamie Dixon, TCU
Bryce Drew, Vanderbilt
Avery Johnson, Alabama
Ben Howland, Mississippi State
Chris Mullin, St Johns
Cuonzo Martin, Cal
Wayne Tinkle, Oregon State
Danny Manning, Wake Forest
Richard Pitino, Minnesota
Chris Collins, Northwestern
Tubby Smith, Texas Tech
John Groce, Illinois
Johnny Jones, LSU
Tim Miles, Nebraska
Frank Martin, South Carolina
Mike Anderson, Arkansas
Cuonzo Martin, Tennessee
Billy Kennedy, Texas A&M
Brad Brownell, Clemson
Kyle Smith, Washington State???

Failures?:
Mark Fox, Cal
John Brannen, Cincinnati
Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska
Mike Anderson, St. Johns
Jerry Stackhouse, Vanderbilt
Tom Crean, Georgia
Travis Steele, Xavier
Wyking Jones, Cal
Archie Miller, Indiana
Brad Underwood, Oklahoma State
Kevin Stallings, Pittsburgh
Jerod Haase, Stanford
Dave Leitau, DePaul
Jim Christian, Boston College
Kim Anderson, Missouri
Donnie Tyndall, Tennessee
Ernie Kent, Washington State
Brandon Miller, Butler
Eddie Jordan, Rutgers
Rick Ray, Mississippi State
Trent Johnson, TCU
James Johnson, Virginia Tech
Brian Gregory, Georgia Tech
Pat Chambers, Penn State
Billy Gillispie, Texas Tech
Tony Barbee, Auburn
Steve Donohue, Boston College
Oliver Purnell, DePaul
Mike Rice, Rutgers
Kevin Willard, Seton Hall
Jeff Bzdelik, Wake Forest
JJxvi
AG
Its interesting to me that it broke down 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 like that. After doing this, I'm more convinced that this is a bad way to judge coaches. There are both good and truly awful coaches that made 1 tournament appearance, or even two tournament appearances in 5 years.
Frosty46
AG
In the late 2000s early 2010s we made the tournament 7 times in a row.

Making the tournament should be a minimum requirement for this program.
JJxvi
AG
Fact check: FALSE. Texas A&M has never made the NCAA Tournament seven times in a row.
Gap
AG
A&M made the NCAA tournament 6 times in a row in the Gillispie and Turgeon years - winning at least one game in 5 of those years.
aeon-ag
Leander - Ag said:

Culture
Yep!!! A&M athletics can't stand prosperity!!!!
Ags77
AG
We aren't a joke. We play hard. We rebound. WE CANNOT SHOOT.
Faustus
Gap said:

A&M made the NCAA tournament 6 times in a row in the Gillispie and Turgeon years - winning at least one game in 5 of those years.

Each coach also had a season where they finished 2nd in the conference while at A&M.

Proposition Joe
Faustus said:

Gap said:

Each coach also had a season where they finished 2nd in the conference while at A&M.

Are you sure? I've been to Reed quite a bit and I haven't seen those banners.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Ags77 said:

We aren't a joke. We play hard. We rebound. WE CANNOT SHOOT.
that's a pretty crucial part of the game, is it not?
JJxvi
AG
Its apparently not as critical as many may have supposed.

I do wonder if we had the exact same record, but normal shooting percentages if people would be reacting the same way.
HoustonAg2106
AG
JJxvi said:

Its apparently not as critical as many may have supposed.

I do wonder if we had the exact same record, but normal shooting percentages if people would be reacting the same way.

Our record would not be the same if we had normal shooting percentages, it would be much better
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.