top 5 Ags minutes played vs UK

3,480 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by _lefraud_
Adam87inSA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
40 - Taylor IV
39 - Boots
29 - Garcia
25 - Solo
25 - Leveque

Another big contributor off bench
22- Carter

Long time starters with minutes cut back not due to foul trouble
22 Coleman
10 Hefner

Other
11 Manny O
2 Lawrence

I hope to see more of this going forward. Solo is huge for this team. Wildens coming into his own. Garcias minutes are not unusual and he's the most consistent high performer on the roster.

Carter needs to continue to get more run than Hefner IMO
AggieNattie
If Carter played like he did yesterday then he definitely needs to get more minutes than Hef.
gdubya15
AG
Good info. Thanks for posting!
VA Gdubya
Ag_EE_88
AG
It was refreshing to see Buzz just ride with the guys who were having a good game. Those guys will hopefully continue get the most minutes and Buzz shortens the roster.

greg.w.h
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

It was refreshing to see Buzz just ride with the guys who were having a good game. Those guys will hopefully continue get the most minutes and Buzz shortens the roster.

Rotation???
Zigzig
Did Henry get hurt in first half? Didn't see him much in second half. Maybe Buzz just thought Leveque was a better matchup? Lucky for us he had his best game yet.
czar_iv
AG
Start
Taylor
Boots
Solo
Garcia
Coleman

First off bench
Hefner
Carter
Obaseki
Leveque
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
bobinator
AG
You could see the difference in our starters late in the game with our bench actually being able to contribute some good minutes in this game.
William K. Klingaman
Garcia has to be on the court for his rebounding but he really needs work on being ready to do something when he gets the ball. Seems to take him too long to process the situation. If he can figure that out, get ready!
deh40
AG
Adam87inSA said:

Absolutely!
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Zigzig said:

Did Henry get hurt in first half? Didn't see him much in second half. Maybe Buzz just thought Leveque was a better matchup? Lucky for us he had his best game yet.

I think he got hurt at the beginning - literally 15 seconds into the game. He was favoring his upper body/chest. Did not see how it happened. I think he was substituted out 1 min into game. When he came back in later, he still seemed to be impacted. That might have influenced the minutes for Coleman - though the fact Leveque and Solo and Garcia played well likely also influenced things.
CapCityAg89
AG
deh40 said:

Adam87inSA said:

Absolutely!

If he plays as he did yesterday and not as every other game this season.
Artimus Gordon
40 - Taylor IV
39 - Boots
29 - Garcia
25 - Solo
25 - Leveque
22 - Carter
22 - Coleman
11 - Manny O

This is the mix you need to go with to win games. And manny does need more minutes!
deh40
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

deh40 said:

Adam87inSA said:

Absolutely!

He's still a better defender and rebounder, and turns the ball over less than Hefner even if he isn't scoring.
Adam87inSA
AG
deh40 said:

CapCityAg89 said:

deh40 said:

Adam87inSA said:

Absolutely!

He's still a better defender and rebounder, and turns the ball over less than Hefner even if he isn't scoring.
bingo
bobinator
AG
I think it's wild people think there's some kind of exact minutes distribution we need when on any given game there's absolutely no telling what you're going to get from Carter, Manny and Hefner or how fast Solo is going to rack up fouls.
greg.w.h
AG
bobinator said:

I think it's wild people think there's some kind of exact minutes distribution we need when on any given game there's absolutely no telling what you're going to get from Carter, Manny and Hefner or how fast Solo is going to rack up fouls.
Its an effort to fund a magic formula to control outcomes. Same as predicting outcomes at the beginning of the season and trying to fire coaches after exactly three years.
DukeMu
Adam87inSA said:

40 - Taylor IV
39 - Boots
29 - Garcia
25 - Solo
25 - Leveque

Another big contributor off bench
22- Carter

Long time starters with minutes cut back not due to foul trouble
22 Coleman
10 Hefner

Other
11 Manny O
2 Lawrence

I hope to see more of this going forward. Solo is huge for this team. Wildens coming into his own. Garcias minutes are not unusual and he's the most consistent high performer on the roster.

I like Carter's flexibility, particularly on defense.
DukeMu
Zigzig said:

Coleman was hurt.

Leveque showed up defensively.
Adam87inSA
AG
Buzz said it himself in the postgame. NOBODY on this roster can defend at such an elite level, with so much athleticism and length, and against such a variety of positions AND be able to rebound at an elite level on BOTH ends as Solo.

That's not me saying that. That's Buzz.

OF COURSE if Solo or Wade or Boots or Andy get in foul trouble the distribution of minutes needs to change.

In conference play we are going to see more teams that have real length inside. Since Julius Marble isn't walking in that door, Leveque HAS to play or we won't have a chance. On average over the rest the season his minutes need to be way higher than the 5 or 10 he was getting pre conference. There will be some teams left without a true center where he plays less, but against teams that do have beef inside he's got to play a significant chunk like he did today.

With Carter it's not so much his scoring as it is his defense, rebounding, and not being a turnover machine compared to who had been playing in front of him up until now.
bobinator
AG
Solo fouled out of a game in 12 minutes earlier this season. I don't care if he's Dikembe Mutombo that's just too much fouling. I like Solo, and he was huge yesterday, but it's still just one game.

I just think any sort of "this should be our minutes" thing is wild to predict when we have so many highly volatile players. It's easy to bench Hefner for Carter when Boots and Taylor score 60 points because we don't need any shooting or scoring. And that was probably Carter's best game by a long shot, but there's been games where's awful. There's been games where Manny was awful too, but he had some good minutes yesterday also.

I just think this is a team where you can't really go into a game saying X guy needs to play Y minutes. At least not at this point.

Hefner's been ice cold lately and still leads us in 3pt% (not including Garcia who's only shot 8 3s) by almost 4%. There's going to be games where he plays a big role.
Method Man
Carter has been worse than Hefner overall. Still, I think we know what we are getting with Hefner. Plus, he prob shoots more per minute played than anyone per Marc.
bobinator
AG
Yeah but I kinda like that. Let him get up a couple early to see how he's doing that day so you know what you're dealing with.
Method Man
Do you like it when he has 8 shots to Coleman's 5?
_lefraud_
AG
Hefner had no business playing minutes on Saturday. He's a liability on defense and isn't good enough to create a shot against a team like UK. Sheppard dominated him defensively.
bobinator
AG
I said a couple.
deh40
AG
Method Man said:

Carter has been worse than Hefner overall. Still, I think we know what we are getting with Hefner. Plus, he prob shoots more per minute played than anyone per Marc.
Not sure what you're watching. Hefner gets abused on defense, he has twice as many turnovers and half the rebounds in essentially the same number of minutes.
Method Man
Are those the only stats? For the majority of the season, Carter has been horrible offensively.
deh40
AG
Method Man said:

Are those the only stats? For the majority of the season, Carter has been horrible offensively.
When neither one of them is shooting well those are the only stats! For the season, Carter has better FT% by a little, Hefner has better FG% by a little. In last 4 games, Hefner is 7-35 and Carter is 7-21. Neither one is very good so yes, I'll take the defense, rebounds and lack of turnovers.
Method Man
Yes, I think you're overrating Carter's defense but anyone's better than Hefner on this team. He's too slow and soft with the ball. I'm just saying Carter has sucked for most of the season and Hefner has had at least some good games. I wanted him gone after last season.
Artimus Gordon
Dennis and Marble had to work their way into being contributing members of the starting five last year. Dennis really came on in conference play. His Scoring improved the more playing time he got. Both were unknown quantities at the start of the year. Carter and Leveque are in the same situation this year. The more they play the more they will contribute both offensively and defensively. With obaseki and Solo this team could be just as good as last year's. Hefner at 20 plus minutes a game brings nothing to the table. Hayden is a spot player and that's it.
deh40
AG
Method Man said:

Yes, I think you're overrating Carter's defense but anyone's better than Hefner on this team. He's too slow and soft with the ball. I'm just saying Carter has sucked for most of the season and Hefner has had at least some good games. I wanted him gone after last season.
We will just have to disagree on Carter's defense. I agree his shooting has been a disappointment for most of the season, but the rest of his game has been very solid.
Method Man
"With obaseki and Solo this team could be just as good as last year's"

Just think if they went to 8th grade basketball camp
bobinator
AG
Carter has not been pretty solid most of the time, on either end. I think the best thing you could say about him a lot of the time is that he isn't so bad that you notice it. He just blends into the game.

That said, he wouldn't be the first player under Buzz to start playing a lot better halfway through the season so hopefully the player saw against Kentucky is a sign of things to come.
deh40
AG
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.